• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Mr. Spock's FishingGab Thread.

Started by MR. Spock, April 17, 2016, 05:06:17 PM

akwilly

interesting object in the background. Could be a float plane but that is a very odd spot for it to be flying so low. Many many miles from shore as you can see in the picture.

albrecht

Quote from: akwilly on April 28, 2016, 07:53:52 PM

interesting object in the background. Could be a float plane but that is a very odd spot for it to be flying so low. Many many miles from shore as you can see in the picture.
You do real fishing! And, yes, that looks very suspicious. You should post in the UFO thread and send a copy of the pic to Heather [Redacted], LMH (earthfiles@earthfiles.com), RCH, or even Norry. See if you can get them to mention it on air or post on their websites.

akwilly

Quote from: albrecht on April 28, 2016, 08:07:53 PM
You do real fishing! And, yes, that looks very suspicious. You should post in the UFO thread and send a copy of the pic to Heather [Redacted], LMH (earthfiles@earthfiles.com), RCH, or even Norry. See if you can get them to mention it on air or post on their websites.
lol no I'm sure it's nothing out of the ordinary, just thought it was kinda odd. I do keep a video camera with me though just in case I get to film something.

akwilly

My friends kid graduates later in may and he is expecting maybe a dozen or so family members to come up for a week or 2 so we are going to try and fill his freezer up with shrimp, crab, and halibut this weekend.

Grov505th

I wish I had pictures of my younger days, my cousin and I would go trout fishing on the Elk River in WV. would catch Rainbow, Brown and what they call Golden trout which is just a Rainbow but in yellow.
but here is picture of me in 1985 trolling for Bluefish on the Kennebec river near the Bath Iron Works shipyard in Maine.

Quote from: Grov505th on April 30, 2016, 09:47:59 AM
I wish I had pictures of my younger days, my cousin and I would go trout fishing on the Elk River in WV. would catch Rainbow, Brown and what they call Golden trout which is just a Rainbow but in yellow.
but here is picture of me in 1985 trolling for Bluefish on the Kennebec river near the Bath Iron Works shipyard in Maine.

Adorable! It looks like such a beautiful day, too!

albrecht

Quote from: Grov505th on April 30, 2016, 09:47:59 AM
Beautiful, I've caught some bluefish as a kid around that age trolling for them in the Chesapeake Bay. When they get into a frenzy it such a neat thing to motor through them trolling and catching them. They are aggressive fish!

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on April 30, 2016, 11:27:07 AM
Beautiful, I've caught some bluefish as a kid around that age trolling for them in the Chesapeake Bay. When they get into a frenzy it such a neat thing to motor through them trolling and catching them. They are aggressive fish!

One year the bluefish ran through along Galveston and tore through our lines with every cast. Those bastards have a lot of teeth compared to what we normally catch. We had to switch to steel leaders before we could land any.

73s

I'd like to go fishing someday. I see lots of people fishing the local river here and it seems relaxing and kind of fun. Too many hobbies though and not enough time!

Grov505th

Quote from: albrecht on April 30, 2016, 11:27:07 AM
Dad was in the Navy so I have fished for Blues on the Chesapeake Bay, the ones up in ME where huge!  We had to gaff them and then club them.  I wish I still had the picture of all the fish we caught that day.
My dad is huge outdoors man, when we were living in Maine, him and his buddy fished in all the amateur BASS tournaments. they won so many that they made them start doing the semi-pro, dad got up one morning at 4 am to go fishing and decided it was no longer fun, so they stopped.
But we would fish in father son tournaments, we had matching uniforms and the whole nine yards.
It was a lot of fun, then he got stationed in Maryland and they didn't do anything like that there. 

akwilly

Quote from: rekcuf on May 09, 2016, 07:46:48 PM
Dungeness?
Yes, let the pots soak about 12 hours using chicken as bait. Used 3 pots and got 24 keepers.

Quote from: akwilly on May 09, 2016, 07:48:36 PM
Yes, let the pots soak about 12 hours using chicken as bait. Used 3 pots and got 24 keepers.

That's quite a catch. This week I'll be at the Oregon coast, I plan to do some crabbing myself.

akwilly

Quote from: rekcuf on May 09, 2016, 07:51:23 PM
That's quite a catch. This week I'll be at the Oregon coast, I plan to do some crabbing myself.
awesome, good luck and let us know how you do. I am going to try this weekend for some halibut and then it will just be salmon fishing for the rest of the summer

albrecht

Quote from: Grov505th on May 01, 2016, 01:48:57 AM
Dad was in the Navy so I have fished for Blues on the Chesapeake Bay, the ones up in ME where huge!  We had to gaff them and then club them.  I wish I still had the picture of all the fish we caught that day.
My dad is huge outdoors man, when we were living in Maine, him and his buddy fished in all the amateur BASS tournaments. they won so many that they made them start doing the semi-pro, dad got up one morning at 4 am to go fishing and decided it was no longer fun, so they stopped.
But we would fish in father son tournaments, we had matching uniforms and the whole nine yards.
It was a lot of fun, then he got stationed in Maryland and they didn't do anything like that there.
Some of the schools down here have fishing teams as a sport. I'm like, where was that, when I was in school! I think they even sometimes get out of school for it, like the golf team (talk about a sport that can take you out of class for some time!)

albrecht

Quote from: akwilly on May 09, 2016, 07:52:49 PM
awesome, good luck and let us know how you do. I am going to try this weekend for some halibut and then it will just be salmon fishing for the rest of the summer
Nice catches and sounds like you have some good future plans! I've been told that some of the salmon runs has been bad recently. I forget my friend used to always go but he said the past year he hasn't gone up because the reports were bad and fishing was poor or limited. Alaskas a huge state so not sure what river it was though.

Quote from: akwilly on May 09, 2016, 07:52:49 PM

Will do. I know it won't be 24! Hopefully I'll catch dinner (2)...

akwilly

Quote from: albrecht on May 09, 2016, 07:56:03 PM
Nice catches and sounds like you have some good future plans! I've been told that some of the salmon runs has been bad recently. I forget my friend used to always go but he said the past year he hasn't gone up because the reports were bad and fishing was poor or limited. Alaskas a huge state so not sure what river it was though.
All signs are pointing to a good return on Kings in SE AK

albrecht

Quote from: akwilly on May 09, 2016, 07:57:58 PM
All signs are pointing to a good return on Kings in SE AK
Good. BTW, on the fringe radio shows, like C2C, CTM, etc you hear a lot of "experts" claiming all kinds of die-offs and nasty effects that they usually blame on global warming or, even more commonly, the Fukushima Daiichi disaster. You experiencing anything like that? Or do folks up there talk about it or buy into those theories?

akwilly

Quote from: albrecht on May 09, 2016, 08:12:56 PM
Good. BTW, on the fringe radio shows, like C2C, CTM, etc you hear a lot of "experts" claiming all kinds of die-offs and nasty effects that they usually blame on global warming or, even more commonly, the Fukushima Daiichi disaster. You experiencing anything like that? Or do folks up there talk about it or buy into those theories?
Nope. The Fukushima thing is not a worry to anyone I've ever met up here. I think it's effects for us here are way overblown. As for a global warming, I have not seen it affect one single thing here. Granted the big glacier in Juneau that the tourists get to see is shrinking and shrinking fast, the glacier around the way from it is growing and nobody talks about or gets to see that. The C2C type guests just kinda spread fear and are not always that informed but they always use the buzz words to sound smarter than they are.

albrecht

Quote from: akwilly on May 09, 2016, 08:44:31 PM
Nope. The Fukushima thing is not a worry to anyone I've ever met up here. I think it's effects for us here are way overblown. As for a global warming, I have not seen it affect one single thing here. Granted the big glacier in Juneau that the tourists get to see is shrinking and shrinking fast, the glacier around the way from it is growing and nobody talks about or gets to see that. The C2C type guests just kinda spread fear and are not always that informed but they always use the buzz words to sound smarter than they are.
Good to hear.

GravitySucks

Went deep sea fishing in the Atlantic today. Too bad we couldn't keep any red snapper. Caught some of the biggest ones I have seen. Had to throw back some undersized Amber jacks too. Caught Sea Bass, Pompano and vermillion snapper. Nice day on the water.

akwilly

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 16, 2016, 07:46:48 PM
Went deep sea fishing in the Atlantic today. Too bad we couldn't keep any red snapper. Caught some of the biggest ones I have seen. Had to throw back some undersized Amber jacks too. Caught Sea Bass, Pompano and vermillion snapper. Nice day on the water.
nice catch

akwilly

Quote from: rekcuf on May 09, 2016, 07:51:23 PM
any crab?

MR. Spock

Little Chris, I did catch my limit of trout this weekend.