• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Chefist's BlogGab: A Gossip Thread About BellGab!

Started by chefist, April 10, 2016, 04:10:11 PM

Would you go to Vegas if Falkie was attending?

Yes
No
Quote from: MAX on May 30, 2016, 07:39:01 AM
e

Hi Gerry

Oh for Pete's sake.

That is now five different people I am accused of being.  I am not Gerry, but 'hi' all the same MAX.  Have a great day!

chefist

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on May 30, 2016, 07:46:54 AM
Oh for Pete's sake.

That is now five different people I am accused of being.  I am not Gerry, but 'hi' all the same MAX.  Have a great day!

Lol it's amusing that you get this all the time.

MAX

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on May 29, 2016, 07:22:58 PM
I had snails once at a French restaurant. Would not recommend.

IB you need to be careful, I know you are in NY, the latest scam is the restaurants are cooking pig assholes and selling as calamari. No shit not kidding

Quote from: MAX on May 30, 2016, 08:21:50 AM

IB you need to be careful, I know you are in NY, the latest scam is the restaurants are cooking pig assholes and selling as calamari. No shit not kidding
Yeah, I heard about that. Fortunately for me, I'm a part time vegetarian. I rarely eat meat or seafood and only have chicken a couple of times a week.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on May 30, 2016, 08:26:19 AM
Yeah, I heard about that. Fortunately for me, I'm a part time vegetarian. I rarely eat meat or seafood and only have chicken a couple of times a week.
Cluckist

NXOEED

I remember getting into an argument with a vet back when I used to drink (around the time I registered here on Bellgab). It was at a bar I wasn't terribly familiar with. He asked if I had served, and in a slightly accusatory tone. I told him that I served in the U.S. Jeremy and retired with the rank of "Hampton".

That was the night I learned those that dudes don't like those sorts of jokes. But whatever. I'll still tell a fucker that I served in the U. S. Jeremy, but only if they ask if I'm a Jeremy veteran.

TigerLily

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on May 30, 2016, 07:58:23 AM
He's not Falkie.

Pages and pages and ... without the F  Magic word. But now the curse has been lifted! Back to business as usual

Quote from: TigerLily on May 30, 2016, 10:48:57 AM
Pages and pages and ... without the F  Magic word. But now the curse has been lifted! Back to business as usual
It was only a matter of time.  ;)

WhiteCrow

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 30, 2016, 04:06:19 AM
It is.  You'll see it in China if you happen to be over there in the winter.

Extenuating circumstances though - just a desperate attempt to clear out the pipes    :'(

Yes I have been to China .. ..Gobi Desrt and pollution .. lungs actually hurt.. I'd rather eat in Fast Food restaurants for rest of my life than live in Beijing.. it's that bad

WhiteCrow

Quote from: TigerLily on May 30, 2016, 10:48:57 AM

FALK YOU..  I just "coined" a new Bellgab F word.. I'm so around .. Free Hoodies on me..

Imconfused

Quote from: WhiteCrow on May 30, 2016, 11:09:20 AM
FALK YOU..  I just "coined" a new Bellgab F word.. I'm so around .. Free Hoodies on me..

That's actually a good one for BellGab,  I'm just surprised it didn't show up earlier.

This is gonna become famous like "Dave" and "reported".

Kind of a BellGab slang/secret language.

WildCard

Quote from: WhiteCrow on May 30, 2016, 02:03:53 AM
Oh ..at last ..nighty nite  all ..  See you in the morning and I'll be expecting bacon served with a cloth napkin ..

Happy Memorial Day

Love you ALL

Falking hippies don't get no falking bacon!

Happy falking Memorial Day.

Falk you ALL!

WildCard

Quote from: NXOEED on May 30, 2016, 10:29:59 AM
I remember getting into an argument with a vet back when I used to drink (around the time I registered here on Bellgab). It was at a bar I wasn't terribly familiar with. He asked if I had served, and in a slightly accusatory tone. I told him that I served in the U.S. Jeremy and retired with the rank of "Hampton".

That was the night I learned those that dudes don't like those sorts of jokes. But whatever. I'll still tell a fucker that I served in the U. S. Jeremy, but only if they ask if I'm a Jeremy veteran.

I don't get it?

Tried sayin it out-loud, googled it 9 different ways . . . ?

NXOEED

Quote from: WildCard on May 30, 2016, 11:46:05 AM
I don't get it?

Tried sayin it out-loud, googled it 9 different ways . . . ?

cool buddy

Imconfused

Quote from: WildCard on May 30, 2016, 11:44:27 AM

Falk you ALL!

I told you it was gonna catch.   ;)

Hautex

Quote from: WildCard on May 30, 2016, 11:44:27 AM

Falk you ALL!
Johnny Dangerously II has been looking for catch phrases:
Falking Bastages
Falking Corksuckers
Falking Iceholes

effluenza

Falkie's battle to keep his apartment was referred to as The Falklands War.

Quote from: MAX on May 30, 2016, 08:21:50 AM

I don't believe that for a New York minute.  Economically, it makes no sense at all.  The only part of the pig that could even possibly be used is the sphincter.  The intestine doesn't resemble it at all.  Think of the casing on large sausages, which is a use for it.  I've had fried pork intestine, it is called chicharon bulaklak in the Philippines and would never be mistaken for calamari.

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 30, 2016, 01:53:16 AM
I handed him his ass on a plate six weeks ago

Say, you really ARE the better cook, aren't you? 

Aussie Dave

I'm pretty sure the main ingredient of Falkenburgers is pig anus. 

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on May 30, 2016, 02:56:48 PM
I don't believe that for a New York minute.  Economically, it makes no sense at all.  The only part of the pig that could even possibly be used is the sphincter.  The intestine doesn't resemble it at all.  Think of the casing on large sausages, which is a use for it.  I've had fried pork intestine, it is called chicharon bulaklak in the Philippines and would never be mistaken for calamari.

Read it and weep.

‘Imitation Calamari’ Investigated By ‘This American Life,’ Suggested To Have Dubious, Pork-Based Origin

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/16/imitation-calamari-sliced-pig-rectum_n_2482063.html

Plenty of foods come surrounded by urban legends. Hot dogs and genetically-modified organisms, for instance, come with a cadre of rumors â€" some true, some patently false. But if a recent segment on “This American Life” is to be believed, it may be time to add calamari to the list.

The popular radio show’s Jan. 11 episode focuses on doppelgangers â€" people and things that appear extremely similar on the surface but are actually totally different.

Among the doppelgangers? Calamari’s modest cousin, “imitation calamari.”

Though it has a shape and texture similar to the real thing, its component parts are decidedly different. While calamari comes from squid, the replica is supposedly made of hog rectum, otherwise known as “bung.”

The irony is not lost on Ben Calhoun, one of the show’s producers, and ring-leader of the segment, who notes:

In restaurants everywhere, right this second, people are squeezing lemon wedges over crispy, golden, rings, dipping the rings into marinara sauce, and they’re eating hog rectum. Now they’re chewing â€" satisfied and deeply clueless. It’s payback for our blissful ignorance about where our food comes from and how it gets to us.

Mark Wheeler, an employee with the USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) â€" the department tasked with ensuring the correct labeling and packaging of our nation’s meat products â€" told The Huffington Post he wasn’t aware of any products specifically labeled as “imitation calamari.” If it does exist, and is derived from a hog’s rectum, he said it would have to be clearly identified as such.

However, Wheeler did note that pig intestines are edible and are more commonly referred to as “pork chitterlings,” a product the USDA notes has a “pungent odor” when boiled and a texture similar to (you guessed it) calamari.

What’s more, Steve Haruch, a journalist for the Nashville Scene, claims to have chowed down on pork bung and concluded, “prepared the right way, it could pass for calamari.”

So is hog rectum getting passed off as calamari at restaurants across the United States? It’s unlikely (not to mention illegal), but there really isn’t any proof one way or another. Thankfully, “This American Life” didn’t uncover any anecdotes of bung-based bait-and-switch practices in America’s restaurants.

“We found compelling belief within the American meat industry that this is a practice,” said Calhoun in an email to The Huffington Post, “but we weren’t able to prove or disprove that belief. Because of that, we decided we’d take the story in a funny direction, and focus on a question we could still answer â€" whether it was possible â€" whether fried bung would taste and feel like calamari.”

MORE AT SITE

Imconfused

Quote from: Aussie Dave on May 30, 2016, 03:30:31 PM
I'm pretty sure the main ingredient of Falkenburgers is pig anus.

I thought it was the new age "calamari".  Somebody was posting about that.

falk that.

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on May 30, 2016, 02:56:48 PM

chicharon bulaklak - pretty fancy term for Chitterlings.   If you are ever in Durham and it is the right day of the week, you can
get them at the Chicken Hut.

http://chickenhutnc.weebly.com/menu.html

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 30, 2016, 03:57:19 PM
chicharon bulaklak - pretty fancy term for Chitterlings.   If you are ever in Durham and it is the right day of the week, you can
get them at the Chicken Hut.

http://chickenhutnc.weebly.com/menu.html
It all pretty just in the mind. Why some parts of an animal are sought after and others are shunned. Though, I have to admit, I never have been able to enjoy pickled pig's feet (aka trotters etc.) And I like almost all other 'pickled' items. Again, likely in my mind, but I can eat liver, gizzards, lymph-nodes, blood etc in stuff but I can't get ,y head around where hogs live and eating their feet! But other parts fried or cooked up? Offal and sweet breads can be as tasty as the 'nice' cuts of the real meat. And nothing goes to waste (if we don't want it someone will and it will be exported or sold in ethnic markets.)

NXOEED

I remember hearing that episode of This American Life and thinking it didn't sound too bad. Actual calamari is way creepier to me.