• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ccrane FM Transmitter 2 Mod!

Started by boilingpitsofsewage, December 25, 2015, 01:16:56 PM

Finally I got around to getting a Ccrane FM Transmitter 2. When I first tried it out I was disappointed, the range was barely 10 feet!
So I searched for mods/hacks and found this video.  Yes it does work and the signal is now BOOMING.  All you have to do is open the case and turn the little limiter knob all the way counterclockwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n71jvpeAhSs

cweb

Indeed it does. I have used this "feature" for various enjoyable endeavors.

Quote from: cweb on December 27, 2015, 01:45:58 PM
Indeed it does. I have used this "feature" for various enjoyable endeavors.

LOL.  Yep it would be fun to tune it to a popular station, drive around and play GG Allin and Slayer.  ;D

cweb

Quote from: boilingpitsofsewage on December 30, 2015, 01:23:41 PM
LOL.  Yep it would be fun to tune it to a popular station, drive around and play GG Allin and Slayer.  ;D
It would hypothetically be good for broadcasting silence when neighbors blast particularly shitty music during late hours.  ;)

I think that a really strong station might need the transmitter to be within 20 feet unless an antenna capable of extending the range was present...

Just guessing.  ;D

Just tested the range today, approx 1/4 mile.  ;D  And that's with the transmitter inside my house.

Oh wow. 

I need this. Does Bellgab have an affiliate link?

triola

Yeah, I looked at the CCrane xmtr back in 2013 when I decided to dump XM. After reading through the user reviews on Amazon, I kept looking and found a way better rig for the same money, been using it daily for the last 2.5 years.

The CC xmtr is plastic with an integrated antenna and is underpowered (talking power supply here, since that sets the limit of antenna input power too, regardless of finals), the CZE-05B on the other hand, is all aluminum, BNC antenna connector, two power settings (100mw and 500mw), digital readout, line and mic inputs with level pots, can be set to any FM frequency and has a power supply that actually delivers what a 1/2 watt xmtr requires.

They're both about the same price, why settle?

To make sure I didn't over modulate, I drove the CZE with a DBX 266X compressor that's EQed ahead.

Back in 2013 I didn't have a way to stream and use web-audio API together because of browser security limitations (cross origin restrictions), so I had to use hardware compression and EQ as above, but since then, I ported my streaming code to nwjs (node-webkit) and now anyone can run a compressor and EQ in software while streaming any remote content, if you code (could have saved a couple hundred if I'd been aware of this back then).

I import my own channels, so I'm not dependent on subscriptions or anybody elses programming decisions, I also built in a scheduler so I can let it run all night and it'll change channels at selected times. I broadcast this 'whole-house' and just listen on my KLH tuner as I drift in and out of sleep.

My hardware setup - except for the CZE xmtr, none of this is now necessary if streaming with code running in nwjs:
http://www.amazon.com/CZERF-CZE-05B-65~90MHz-Broadcast-Transmitter/dp/B00HHYGMGI/
http://www.amazon.com/DBX-266xs-Comprssor-Gate/dp/B004NDFRVC/
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-FBQ800-BEHRINGER-MINIFBQ/dp/B000MJ406Y/

The nwjs website:
http://nwjs.io/

wr250

MV/Liberace!

I recommend this:

Link.

I used to own one.  It's very moddable.  The PCB has two capacitors you can lift to eliminate the built in L/R channel preemphasis curve, which means you can generate your own preemphasis externally before sending the audio to the transmitter.  The result is an FM sound rivaling ANY commercial FM station.  With a properly placed external antenna, you'll hear this thing for MILES.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: triola on January 01, 2016, 10:50:51 PM

To make sure I didn't over modulate, I drove the CZE with a DBX 266X compressor that's EQed ahead.

I drove the Ramsey with Winamp running the Sound Solution multi-band compressor using an Orban Optimod preset.  I don't remember which Optimod model it was attempting to emulate, though.  This plugin is what allowed me to generate a preemphasis curve to feed the transmitter rather than let the transmitter do it.

MV/Liberace!

By the way... I bought the CCrane FM transmitter back in 2004 or 2005.  It was complete junk (so was their LED flashlight).  Perhaps the newest iteration is better?  Idunno.

cweb

I have the 2nd model. It does feel cheap, but I can get a signal throughout the house and within my car (no aux ports- and my car would be a bitch to open up). That's all I really bought it for. It performs better than the other cheap car audio FM transmitters. Lasts at least 10 hours on a pair of batteries.

I wasn't familiar with the other two products, but they look interesting. I may go in that direction if my parents want a cheap "voice of god" PA solution for their business.

I've drooled over the Ramseys for years but can't justify the expense for just listening to podcasts around the property. I also bought the old ccrane transmitter many years ago but returned it after a couple days. It had way too much hiss. Also, the fm dial was pretty crowded in Sacramento. Now I live in BFE Texas where the band is wide open. I'm hoping this new version can cover a couple acres.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: MaxGravy on January 02, 2016, 09:24:43 AM
I also bought the old ccrane transmitter many years ago but returned it after a couple days. It had way too much hiss.

yes.  it was a noisy disaster.  i can't imagine why i didn't return it.

triola

I ran across the Ramseys years ago but was put off by the price to power ratio. The link to the FM100BEX has a $349.95 price tag for a one watt xmtr and you have to build it and align it. $349.95

Now, an alternative way to go if you want to level-out the price-performance outlay a little more reasonably and have your sights set on rigs in this price category is this unit:
http://www.amazon.com/CZERF-CZE-T251-broadcast-station-transmitter/dp/B00S2B7AWU/

That's 25 watts of stereo FM broadcast power for $275.99 (FCC fines not included).

Note that the CZERF xmtrs operate on 12vdc, so can go remote if you wish. After using the little 1/2 watt rig I got a few years back, I'm sold on their quality, here's the actual manufacture's website: http://www.czerf.com/

area51drone

Quote from: wr250 on January 02, 2016, 05:56:41 AM
i use the very same transmitter.

Me too, but my version is up to 5 watts. I think I paid about $100 for it.  I use it in my car because those little cigarette port ones suck and the dial around here is pretty full - inevitably when driving, I always had to switch stations.  Never again!  I tested it once at full power, and it goes about a mile and a half. 

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: area51drone on January 04, 2016, 03:56:13 AM
Me too, but my version is up to 5 watts. I think I paid about $100 for it.  I use it in my car because those little cigarette port ones suck and the dial around here is pretty full - inevitably when driving, I always had to switch stations.  Never again!  I tested it once at full power, and it goes about a mile and a half.

Reported to FCC. Good day, sir.

Value Of Pi

Just a suggestion for anyone who hasn't thought of this cheap and effective way of moving decent quality  Internet audio around the house:

Attach an inexpensive FM transmitter to any Internet-connected device, like iPad or smartphone. Plug transmitter into AC outlet using cheap 12v transformer. Now you can broadcast any Internet audio, or any other audio on your device, to any ordinary FM radio you have in any room. The setup is very portable and you get to use your old AM/FM radios, almost like before the Internet.

The General

You guys are all going to jail.
Not just any jail, pirate radio jail.
Where they force you to listen to Stern.

The General

Quote from: MV on January 04, 2016, 04:17:10 PM
which era?  depends.
A show where he interviews Jesse Ventura.
No era, just that one show, on a loop. 
With commercials for Dino-Vite.

wr250

Quote from: The General on January 04, 2016, 04:15:30 PM
You guys are all going to jail.
Not just any jail, pirate radio jail.
Where they force you to listen to Stern.
ok. but only if noory does the dyno-byte commercials.