• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

Auslandia

At least the news girl isn't hosting.  Can you imagine how annoying that would be?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ItsOver on December 17, 2015, 08:45:25 AM
"We could definitely use one less, MV."  Signed Dave Noorie

the comment is probably equally applicable with the comma removed.

nbirnes

Quote from: MV on December 17, 2015, 01:25:58 PM

Never. We need more MV, not less.

Auslandia

Just listening to the show from last night. Definitely a step in a better direction. But I think he was losing her a little bit on the technical stuff once he started talking about scales and quantizing the steps between different notes. Just based on the responses she was giving I don't think she was fully grasping it. I've got to be honest I was only barely grasping it myself.

trostol

sort of like

"Bellgab, now with less MV!!!!"

something like that?

ZomZom

First HW show I was able to finish, though I did listen at 2x speed. She improved markedly IMHO. Good guest, too. I want to hear examples of a song shifted to a non-western tuning to feel more moved. Call me skeptical. I'd also like to know what criteria he's using to say western is wrong and non-western is correct.

AZZERAE

Hearing Heather host Art's show is like watching some random guy make love to clumsily fuck my wife.

Nonsense! What we need is moar MV!   :D

K_Dubb

Quote from: ZomZom on December 17, 2015, 02:21:03 PM
First HW show I was able to finish, though I did listen at 2x speed. She improved markedly IMHO. Good guest, too. I want to hear examples of a song shifted to a non-western tuning to feel more moved. Call me skeptical. I'd also like to know what criteria he's using to say western is wrong and non-western is correct.

Here's a song, though not a shifted western one, with a good visual of what microtones means, practically speaking:

https://youtu.be/iRsSjh5TTqI?t=220

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 17, 2015, 02:52:05 PM
Here's a song, though not a shifted western one, with a good visual of what microtones means, practically speaking:

https://youtu.be/iRsSjh5TTqI?t=220
I haven't listened to the show, yet. Guest or any caller mention the Hardanger Fiddle (hardingfele) which is tuned, usually, to 466Hz, in contrast to most 'western' instruments these days? It has an unique sound and, with certain tunings, believed to be from the devil/trolls and during some periods burnt if found (also because it could cause that evil stuff like dancing or drinking.  ;) )

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on December 17, 2015, 03:01:06 PM
I haven't listened to the show, yet. Guest or any caller mention the Hardanger Fiddle (hardingfele) which is tuned, usually, to 466Hz, in contrast to most 'western' instruments these days? It has an unique sound and, with certain tunings, believed to be from the devil/trolls and during some periods burnt if found (also because it could cause that evil stuff like dancing or drinking.  ;) )

No, no hardingfele, sadly.  The guest kind of dismissed the idea that simple tuning shifts meant anything, instead focusing on systems that allowed more than twelve tones within an octave.

I love the stories about the various Fanitullen learned from the Devil himself, who played the fiddle backwards with the neck under his chin.  Also in Jämtland, where my dad's family's from, they have a tradition where fiddlers would learn melodies from the näcken who plays the fiddle in a waterfall naked.  There's some festival over there where fiddlers wade into a stream naked and play in front of everybody.  God, the stagefright!

Also, I love this old guy and the look in his eye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di1F8GUvEtg

Auslandia

Quote from: ZomZom on December 17, 2015, 02:21:03 PM

He did not say anything about Western being incorrect. That was all Heather. That was one of the things I was alluding to when I said she didn't quite grasp everything. He never said anything about Western scales being incorrect… Just different. He said that the eastern scales included overtones which are omitted and western music mostly. These overtones are what's responsible for enhancing whatever effect music is having on your psyche.  She started using the correct and incorrect terminology and he did not really correct her… That's a lot of corrects in one sentence.  From the way I understand it it would be similar to drinking a complex wine as opposed to a berry blend one. You still get drunk but the complex one has extra sensory experiences that you're missing from the latter

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 17, 2015, 03:10:55 PM
No, no hardingfele, sadly.  The guest kind of dismissed the idea that simple tuning shifts meant anything, instead focusing on systems that allowed more than twelve tones within an octave.

I love the stories about the various Fanitullen learned from the Devil himself, who played the fiddle backwards with the neck under his chin.  Also in Jämtland, where my dad's family's from, they have a tradition where fiddlers would learn melodies from the näcken who plays the fiddle in a waterfall naked.  There's some festival over there where fiddlers wade into a stream naked and play in front of everybody.  God, the stagefright!

Brrr. Yeah, stagefright- not to mention 'shrinkage.' I've heard that legend but not the festival!
I'm going to listen to the show because there is a lot of interesting stuff with regard to music, both on the science/math side and the human side. I don't buy the woo-woo stuff, but, then again, you listen to the right song/sound and it does have psychological impacts for sure and how some people, prodigies, seem to be 'born' with an ability is interesting also.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on December 17, 2015, 03:20:09 PM
Brrr. Yeah, stagefright- not to mention 'shrinkage.' I've heard that legend but not the festival!
I'm going to listen to the show because there is a lot of interesting stuff with regard to music, both on the science/math side and the human side. I don't buy the woo-woo stuff, but, then again, you listen to the right song/sound and it does have psychological impacts for sure and how some people, prodigies, seem to be 'born' with an ability is interesting also.

Nah I don't buy the mystic stuff either.  Listen to a junior high string orchestra and you'll get plenty of microtones.  And the Chinese (and some other cultures) manage to fit a lot of music into the pentatonic scale.

As Auslandia pointed out (good on ya!) there's a lot of confusion of terms on the show which, as a topic, really requires an introductory music-theory class.  But major props to Heather for putting it out there.

The festival is called Ã...rets Näck.  Those crazy Swedes:

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on December 17, 2015, 03:01:06 PM

Also, didn't know that about hardingfele tuning.  Just looked it up and 466 would simply move it to a modern B-flat, presumably with everything else following suit.

Tarbaby

Quote from: Azzerae on December 17, 2015, 02:35:12 PM
Hearing Heather host Art's show is like watching some random guy make love to clumsily fuck my wife.
you make it sound like it happens fairly often.

Auslandia

That's pretty cool about the tuning. I'm going to have to check that out.  Thanks for the tip.

I'm just going to say that one thing I'm thankful about is that Heather does not mention audio fidelity nearly as much as Art did. That used to drive me nuts when he would harp on somebody or the guest about their microphone or something similar when everyone could understand them perfectly fine.

I mean, Art if you're reading this --- don't you know that most people are listening to your show on their iPad or PC or through shitty headphones anyway? It's not like everybody is sitting in a recording studio with finely tuned stereo monitors  critiquing every nuance of vocal quality lol. What difference does it make how perfect the sound is? Seems like you spend a lot of money on that unnecessarily.

Oculary

I use skype, but I really didn't like the audio from callers being TOO clear on the last two Art-rebooted outings...I just enjoy the crappy audio from actual land lines. There was a difference in the old dynamic that I just got used to from so many hours listening to C2C. Skype actually sounded brighter than Art's studio mike, and it was disconcerting. 

Robert

Quote from: dan7800 on December 17, 2015, 09:03:36 AMI enjoy shows that aren't necessarily paranormal. Just get smart, interesting people and you will have a good show.
That's what I listen for too.  Too much of the paranormal topics have been plumbed too deeply anyway, such that it's hard to find anything interesting left, even from the nuts.  I'm interested in hearing people on topics you just don't hear about elsewhere & didn't even know were interesting, or maybe even existed.  In other words, I'm interested in the fringe, with "fringe" not limited to nutty stuff but just that it's outside the mainstream.  Fundamental questions, for instance, including the ones you "just can't talk about" because they're too fundamental, threatening to pull the rug from under the assumptions by which we usually think about things.  Unusual interpret'ns of things we thought we knew about but maybe don't; conspiracy theories of hx are just one of many such possible new looks at things.  Forteana of all sorts, including those we wouldn't necessarily think of as "paranormal", just far-fetched.

Auslandia

Quote from: Oculary on December 17, 2015, 04:17:39 PM
I use skype, but I really didn't like the audio from callers being TOO clear on the last two Art-rebooted outings...I just enjoy the crappy audio from actual land lines. There was a difference in the old dynamic that I just got used to from so many hours listening to C2C. Skype actually sounded brighter than Art's studio mike, and it was disconcerting.

Yeah I don't know how many Phil Hendrie  fans we have here but I remember when he stopped doing his radio show and started his podcast he  did all of his characters using his studio mic which sounded totally weird. The crappy  microphone on the telephone handset really made them more believable. It took my ears a long time to get used to his characters without it.

That being said, when they were talking about the pineal gland I so desperately wish I could've called in and asked whether he thought listening to 433 Hz while high on Arctic chaga would be advisable.

Element 115

Quote from: Auslandia on December 17, 2015, 04:07:58 PM
That's pretty cool about the tuning. I'm going to have to check that out.  Thanks for the tip.

I'm just going to say that one thing I'm thankful about is that Heather does not mention audio fidelity nearly as much as Art did. That used to drive me nuts when he would harp on somebody or the guest about their microphone or something similar when everyone could understand them perfectly fine.

I mean, Art if you're reading this --- don't you know that most people are listening to your show on their iPad or PC or through shitty headphones anyway? It's not like everybody is sitting in a recording studio with finely tuned stereo monitors  critiquing every nuance of vocal quality lol. What difference does it make how perfect the sound is? Seems like you spend a lot of money on that unnecessarily.

You'll never understand why Art does this if you are a non-audiophile.  Art is a hard core audiophile, as am I.  Look at one of his MiTD episodes in Adobe Audition or other music editing software and you can see, his work pays off. 

AZZERAE

With the last few days of my subscription, before it expires, I scan thru the recent shows in the archive looking for a call where someone asks about Art or where Art is mentioned or Heather saying something about Art

This is me grasping at straws.

We shouldn't have to keep hoping we get Art Bell on the Art Bell show.

It fucking sucks.

The show goes on? With the elephant in the room, the show goes on! The attitude is just like, oh Art's not here. Oh well. Hi caller you're on the air. Let's talk about the paranormal. Let's pretend nothings wrong. Let's pretend the network Rowland built from nothing isn't done for.

I hate this, it makes me so sad.

albrecht

Quote from: Stardust Ancestor on December 17, 2015, 04:43:44 PM
You'll never understand why Art does this if you are a non-audiophile.  Art is a hard core audiophile, as am I.  Look at one of his MiTD episodes in Adobe Audition or other music editing software and you can see, his work pays off.
I have no doubt. The show sounds better than most other stuff out there and certainly better than his old shows. Just, for me, I didn't like him being a perfectionist on the audio side. Ok, maybe for guests but for callers? About my only gripe about the show (other than him stopping.) I wonder how an audiophile perfectionist can handle the sounds coming from HAM, AM, SW, CD and the other stuff he is interested in?

Element 115

Quote from: albrecht on December 17, 2015, 04:55:01 PM
I have no doubt. The show sounds better than most other stuff out there and certainly better than his old shows. Just, for me, I didn't like him being a perfectionist on the audio side. Ok, maybe for guests but for callers? About my only gripe about the show (other than him stopping.) I wonder how an audiophile perfectionist can handle the sounds coming from HAM, AM, SW, CD and the other stuff he is interested in?

True, there's really not much that can be done in regard to a caller.  Sometimes it's justified, however.  I mean, sometimes things can be done about the sound of the caller like when they are far away, or on speaker phone.  Also true Re: HAM, AM, etc sound quality.

Catsmile

Quote from: Auslandia on December 17, 2015, 04:07:58 PM

Looking at it that way...
Anyone want to come pick up a pair of JBL LSR305 monitors? Got them during Black Friday. Also need to dump my preamp, DAC/preamp, amps, CD player, Wi-Fi streaming box, and a pair loudspeakers. All of it costing a few thousand dollars. That way I won't have to worry about audio fidelity anymoar. Thanks for showing me the error of my ways.

Art, thanks for the audio fidelity. Some of us really appreciate your efforts, in a day and age where MP3 is king.  <tips fedora>

Auslandia

Quote from: Stardust Ancestor on December 17, 2015, 04:43:44 PM

Dude I have a 24 channel analog Mackie board , Half a dozen Neve  Channel strips and I monitor through pretty badass Yamahas. I love me some good quality audio but for a fucking radio show it's a little bit of overkill considering what your audience is likely listening on.

Gruntled

Quote from: Auslandia on December 17, 2015, 06:16:00 PM

Dude I have a 24 channel analog Mackie board , Half a dozen Neve  Channel strips and I monitor through pretty badass Yamahas. I love me some good quality audio but for a fucking radio show it's a little bit of overkill considering what your audience is likely listening on.
Touche

Catsmile

Quote from: albrecht on December 17, 2015, 04:55:01 PM

I don't think Art is an audiophool. He knows the limitations of whatever medium hes working with, and seeks to eek out the best sound possible within that mediums limits. Sometimes he becomes a little bit pedantic about it, thatz how he rolls. Always has, don't expect it to change much.

Oh and some of his last interviews, the guest did have more of  the POTS <plan old telephone service> sound, where 4000Hz and up were cut. However the lower freqs didn't seem to be cut.

POTS sound:
Restricted to a narrow frequency range of 300 to 3300 Hz, called the voiceband...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plain_old_telephone_service#Characteristics