• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

AZZERAE

Quote from: username on May 17, 2018, 02:10:13 PM
Good points.

Hey, I listened to your most recent interview with KNYE Karen. I love the balance you struck between respectful and firm with your questions, Myke. I know you characterized Schrader as a hack last week, and I was searching inside myself to tell if I agreed...Faustina here raised a great point by explaining to me that Schrader's just a good guy, and handles life well. That's the reason I felt like a piece of shit criticizing him from behind a keyboard...but, unfortunately it results in him being a boring listen. I like screwy, I don't like nice. I found your Heather Wade "interview" fucking HILARIOUS BTW!!!

Kolchak

I'm excited for tonight's bigfoot episode.

Lord Grantham

Oh boy, that lip smacking guest last night. Fast forwarded right to the next guest.

AZZERAE

Quote from: Friday on May 17, 2018, 02:41:52 PM
I'm a fucking hoot. How'd ya guess?

I'd recommend familiarizing yourself with a dictionary, if possible. You don't seem to grasp the definition of certain words, or the English language very well at all. See sarcasm, irony, facetiousness.

Run along now.

Friday

Quote from: Azzerae on May 17, 2018, 02:55:34 PM
I'd recommend familiarizing yourself with a dictionary, if possible. You don't seem to grasp the definition of certain words, or the English language very well at all. See sarcasm, irony, facetiousness. Run along now.

I see what you did there.

Faustina

Quote from: Azzerae on May 17, 2018, 02:37:49 PM
Thanks Faustina, you hit the nail on the head! I was hoping somebody would help me sort through the trouble I'm having with Schrader's "style"...you're absolutely right, I have this awful habit of comparing the new guy with Art. It really is the fact that Schrader is well adjusted that makes him so uninteresting. I've never related to or understood people who were good at life. I tend to be a misfit magnet, and a proud fuck-up myself. The thing that got me about Schrader is that he offers me nothing as a listener (personally). I know a lot of people here are into the paranormal - but the host that comes closest to Art's magic is Michael Savage for me, and yes, he's "politics" and conservative, so I'm sure that's a switch off for a lot of people...but really, to me, he takes me as a listener to that place that I want to be...outside of myself, and gets me to THINK. Art was the only other one who ever did that. But Savage is incredible. Thanks again for helping me understand Schrader's normality.

I'm glad I was able to help.  Normal people aren't very interesting to me, either.  The more angst-ridden and damaged a person is, the more I can relate and the more they fascinate me.  Art was a mixed bag of tricks:  the more you got to know of him, the more one realized you had to take the good with the bad.  The "bad," for me, just made him all the more interesting:  both as a radio host and as a person.  His pain, from whatever source it arose (messed up childhood), made him able to go all that much deeper as an interviewer. 

We lost a lot when Art went off the air for good; we've lost more now that he's dead.  Art is the kind of public person in media who comes along about once a generation, and I enjoyed that ride so much but it is over and can't be replicated.

So now, since I love radio and the paranormal, I am strict with myself about not comparing other hosts to Art.  As a result, I'm able to enjoy many shows, mostly for their content alone more than for what the host brings to the show.  I'm very happy that such a renaissance is going on in the paranormal radio/podcast field.  I feel Art was the inspiration for a lot of it, which just goes to give even more credence to his worth and his legacy. 

MaxPower

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 17, 2018, 01:54:05 PM
Seriously?
New member here. I joined a couple of days ago and have been wading through the posts. A few things:

I think all of the radio programs/podcasts and their respective hosts have good and bad points. I listen to many of them and what I listen to is based on the guest and/or topic and not on who the host is.

Secondly, really liking the Metron's posts  :)

It seems to be a convention here to praise what you like here, so:

Praise Metron (2267)!

Shoveler

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 17, 2018, 01:15:06 PM
And yet we know he hand picked her, mentored her, counseled and consoled her, sold her his studio, etc...

Arrive at some other conclusion when the mood fits but please buttress it with reality, please.

All that to get some strange, I guess Art was almost out of mojo.

Quote from: Kolchak on May 17, 2018, 02:47:32 PM
I'm excited for tonight's bigfoot episode.

im excited to follow the further adventures of Baby Joey on Discord.

Kolchak

The fate of The Legacyâ,,¢ now rests on editing clips of a dead man to make him artificially say phone numbers.

MaxPower

Quote from: albrecht on May 15, 2018, 10:02:10 PM
Which station is re-airing Bruce Williams shows? I liked him but asking for a friend who has a time-share agreement that he can't get out of and wonders if he should invest in his brother-in-law's dry-cleaning franchise.
I remember Bruce well from the old TalkNet radio days. He had a lot of great advice. I remember him broadcasting his show for a while from bedside after his plane crash. A lot of good memories from that show.

I feel a disturbance in the force. I think Lasha is here...

bellNwhistle

Not a “friend”, but I follow Good Dave on FB.

I think we all have moments like this. Not sure what may have triggered the sharing of this on his wall, but it seems like most people seem to dig the direction he’s going in with MITD.

Quote from: Kolchak on May 17, 2018, 03:03:37 PM
The fate of The Legacyâ,,¢ now rests on editing clips of a dead man to make him artificially say phone numbers.

take? lol, they were never hers in the first place.

Lasha, Heather is entitled to nothing. nothing.

LMFAO

Shoveler

Quote from: Kolchak on May 17, 2018, 03:03:37 PM

Wait, I’m sure there’s an interview with dead Art in the works.

Dyna-X

Quote from: Azzerae on May 17, 2018, 02:37:49 PM
I've never related to or understood people who were good at life. I tend to be a misfit magnet, and a proud fuck-up myself. The thing that got me about Schrader is that he offers me nothing as a listener (personally). I know a lot of people here are into the paranormal - but the host that comes closest to Art's magic is Michael Savage for me, and yes, he's "politics" and conservative, so I'm sure that's a switch off for a lot of people...but really, to me, he takes me as a listener to that place that I want to be...outside of myself, and gets me to THINK. Art was the only other one who ever did that. But Savage is incredible. Thanks again for helping me understand Schrader's normality.

Azzerae, sorry for being overly sarcastic yesterday. I get what you mean a little better. I think Schrader has the eccentricity bottled up inside from 12 years of  whatever Coast to Coast's protocols are. He's probably used to all kinds of mandatory announcements and questions on 3 x 5 cards.  Look at his avatar pic - he's got the character, he just barely opened up the weird throttle on the air, LOL. He said yesterday that this show is a bookend to his career - it would only make sense that he has not really started to make the show his own or even decide the posture of it. Heck, he hasn't even got his phone lines installed yet.

Faustina

Quote from: username on May 17, 2018, 02:42:50 PM
The best are damaged.

I agree.  All the best artists are:  their pain helps to create their art.  A truly brilliant radio host is an artist.  Art was such a great radio host that he turned what he did into art. 

Coppola put it well:  "The popular kid is out having a good time,… he doesn’t sit around thinking about who he is or how he feels. But the kid who is ugly, sick, miserable or schlumpy sits around heartbroken and thinks. He’s like an oyster growing a pearl of feelings which becomes the basis of an art.”
â€" Francis Ford Coppola.

Juan

Quote from: MaxPower on May 17, 2018, 03:00:00 PM
New member here. I joined a couple of days ago and have been wading through the posts. A few things:

I think all of the radio programs/podcasts and their respective hosts have good and bad points. I listen to many of them and what I listen to is based on the guest and/or topic and not on who the host is.

Secondly, really liking the Metron's posts  :)

It seems to be a convention here to praise what you like here, so:

Praise Metron (2267)!
Welcome, post often
Stay away from the Falkie thread.  You have been warned.

Quote from: Bobs Your Uncle on May 17, 2018, 03:05:05 PM
I feel a disturbance in the force. I think Lasha is here...

HEY YOU GUUUUISE!

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Richard Groyper on May 17, 2018, 03:09:03 PM
HEY YOU GUUUUISE!
I really wish I didn’t have to see that damned picture daily. Gives me the creeps.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Richard Groyper on May 17, 2018, 03:06:43 PM
take? lol, they were never hers in the first place.

Lasha, Heather is entitled to nothing. nothing.

LMFAO

Art’s voice belongs to Art. The only people who should own that (after his death) should be his family. IF they allow Heather or Karen to use it, then I guess that’s their business. Just using it seems wrong.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: ponyboysunset on May 17, 2018, 03:09:51 PM
I really wish I didn’t have to see that damned picture daily. Gives me the creeps.

I hear you. :-X

chefist

Quote from: Shoveler on May 17, 2018, 03:02:10 PM
All that to get some strange, I guess Art was almost out of mojo.

;D

Quote from: ponyboysunset on May 17, 2018, 03:09:51 PM

PBS, what are you saying? you're not attracted to this big beautiful woman? odd.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Richard Groyper on May 17, 2018, 03:11:21 PM
PBS, what are you saying? you're not attracted to this big beautiful woman? odd.
I like my women to fit all in one frame.  Call me crazy. I like thick women, not ones with multiple chins.

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Azzerae on May 17, 2018, 02:47:22 PM
Hey, I listened to your most recent interview with KNYE Karen. I love the balance you struck between respectful and firm with your questions, Myke. I know you characterized Schrader as a hack last week, and I was searching inside myself to tell if I agreed...Faustina here raised a great point by explaining to me that Schrader's just a good guy, and handles life well. That's the reason I felt like a piece of shit criticizing him from behind a keyboard...but, unfortunately it results in him being a boring listen. I like screwy, I don't like nice. I found your Heather Wade "interview" fucking HILARIOUS BTW!!!

Hey buddy,

Let me be serious for a moment here, when I'm here...Im for the most part, trying to get some laughs. When I called Schrader a hack, I did that with the intentions that he would read it or someone would tell him that. It's just a joke, I didn't mean that. He does a great job, shows up to his gig doesn't complain about management, the list goes on. However, now here comes the honest part. I didn't listen to him or any other fill-in host on coast, I rarely listen to coast to coast am. When I have listened to Schrader, he isn't a character or "radio personality", as some would say. I've heard others refer to him as "plain"... "cookie cutter". For some people like that... I personally like a charismatic host. Everyone likes something however, it's all subjective. He isn't a Hack by any regards, I got respect for all talk show host's  out there who have respect for themselves & others. I think we know who lacks respect and honesty, we all have been listening.

BTW. Thank you for listening to my interview with Karen, I felt it was a damn good interview. The Heather Wader interview... sometimes these things happen and I am good with improv as for the most part... most notes go out the window when you are live and having a great interview.

Quote from: ponyboysunset on May 17, 2018, 03:12:08 PM
I like my women to fit all in one frame.  Call me crazy. I like thick women, not ones with multiple chins.

but she has fattitude.

chefist

Quote from: Richard Groyper on May 17, 2018, 03:03:25 PM
im excited to follow the further adventures of Baby Joey on Discord.

I couldn't stop laughing at that username in the chat last night... ;D "Someone help I lost my Baby Joey!"

Chad Jacobs

Quote from: Azzerae on May 17, 2018, 02:47:22 PM
Dave has had his struggles which I'm sure he will cover in due course. He's gone through a trying divorce, struggled with suicidal depression, and suffered through the loss of his mother and serious illness of his best friend Tim. Also, he had his previous show (Darkness Radio) pulled while it was having mounting success due to a change in radio format of the hosting station. Oh, and he did all of this while raising a host of kids. I get overwhelmed with just my job, NP school, and ONE kid.  I will say Dave is even better with Tim, but he's a solid host anyway you look at it.  He does sometimes frustrate me when he is overly "hard" on some guests (like that reincarnation lady the other day, she offered some interesting points especially about divorce after near death experiences. Heck, I also experienced the same thing with my wife just because I became relatively more holistic/paranormal in my perspectives so I found the lady's conclusions fascinating).  Still if Bell was Michael Jordan then Schrader is a solid Scotty Pippen you only get a Jordan maybe once in a generation if you are lucky (I agree that Savage is a "Jordan" level talent, but his subject area doesn't intersect with the paranormal most of the time).