• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

DaveSchrader

Quote from: zeebo on May 09, 2018, 01:24:20 PM
I'm sure Dave will get the whole range at some point, like everyone else has.  I hope if he chooses to have any interaction with this board going forward he sees that big picture, and doesn't only focus on the negative posts like some have in the past.  There is no group-think here.  Each voice stands on its own and should be taken as such.  One thing for sure here is people tend to be brutally honest so if you get positive feedback it should mean something.

Oh I understand my place in the Universe and at one time it was suggested to me to avoid this site like the plague, that was years ago. So I did, but I am a passionate fan of many things and like when I can love something with others or hate something or sometimes both.

I get the point of this place, I get the sarcasm, the passion, the love and hates. It is what it is. I cant promise I will visit often but I will check in on you all and chime in when time permits.  I hear the complaints and the love and it pushes me to try to be better and be worthy of the job I have been given.  So...to the future...lets laugh, cry and flip each other off as life is meant to be.

zeebo

Quote from: ItsOver on May 09, 2018, 12:09:47 PM
... "Welcome to the cuckshed.  Pee your dog often."

Maybe that $600 money order can go towards hiring a dog pee-er?

chefist

Quote from: DaveSchrader on May 09, 2018, 01:56:38 PM
Oh I understand my place in the Universe and at one time it was suggested to me to avoid this site like the plague, that was years ago. So I did, but I am a passionate fan of many things and like when I can love something with others or hate something or sometimes both.

I get the point of this place, I get the sarcasm, the passion, the love and hates. It is what it is. I cant promise I will visit often but I will check in on you all and chime in when time permits.  I hear the complaints and the love and it pushes me to try to be better and be worthy of the job I have been given.  So...to the future...lets laugh, cry and flip each other off as life is meant to be.

..and I will keep pestering you to do true crime shows on MITD...that won't stop.

Cheers...

bellNwhistle

Quote from: chefist on May 09, 2018, 02:00:53 PM
..and I will keep pestering you to do true crime shows on MITD...that won't stop.

Cheers...

Agreed. I’m going through Darkness Radio archives and listening to some great ones.

:D

IamNegan

Quote from: ItsOver on May 09, 2018, 10:22:23 AM
Ha!  For all we know, Paul and Ella have millions stashed away in a mattress, ready to dole out to Heater, whether under duress or not. ;)

That would be the ONLY way she'd get any of my $$$. I wouldn't have done that voluntarily when I LIKED her, much less now....

GravitySucks

It can push you to be schizophrenic too.

IamNegan

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 09, 2018, 02:05:08 PM
Agreed. I’m going through Darkness Radio archives and listening to some great ones.

:D

True Crime Tuesday was the best! :)

lonevoice

So...to the future...lets laugh, cry and flip each other off as life is meant to be.
I keep sending you wormhole messages asking you what you had for dinner, because that's an important question to some OG Bellgabbers.  I'm not kidding. 

El Chorro

Quote from: lonevoice on May 09, 2018, 02:10:05 PM
I keep sending you wormhole messages asking you what you had for dinner, because that's an important question to some OG Bellgabbers.  I'm not kidding.

Hey your name DOES look like "eye one voice"

GravitySucks

Quote from: lonevoice on May 09, 2018, 01:18:41 PM
I love this post so much I want to Xerox it and fax it straight to my cortex.

Or I could hand deliver it.

IamNegan

Hi Dave!!

It's great being able to listen to you again...kinda lost touch after Darkness. Keep up the good work on MiTD, and it'd be worth a lifetime subscription just to hear you redo the Slingblade "Boo...." bit from Darkness - my wife and I still laugh about it 'til today! ;)

DaveSchrader

Quote from: El Chorro on May 09, 2018, 01:27:55 PM
Last night Dave let it slip by when the guest implied that all that woo he was describing was the impetus behind Trump's actions. If that were Art, he'd have pressed him on it, but Dave didn't want to go there and left hanging an interesting and perhaps telling connection between the guest's world-view and other-world-view.

Because from past experiences, just mentioning Trumps name I get hate from people wanting NOTHING to do with politics. On and from BOTH sides, even his name being mentioned makes everyone paranoid I will be for or against. SO, I avoid it as much as I can.

Hope that helps you understand.

GravitySucks

And how he takes his coffee.

bellNwhistle

There is a reason why Art called this group of people "vaguely lovable", you know.   You have to be able to look beyond the hard outer coating, to see the softer middle.  The "mm" on our candy shells aren't all stamped in the right place, and some have been missed altogether.  :P 

Some of these guys (and gals) are a bit rougher around the edges, but I think for the most part, it's not a bad bag.

Join in when you can. Not because we're special, or you're not. Or vice versa. But because we'll be listening, and because it's also nice to be heard.

DaveSchrader

I dine on the souls of hamsters and the tears of the lonely.

Battleborn

I remember when Art quit the show originally a lot of people, including I think Art, asserted that nobody with experience or other options would have been interested in taking over MITD. That was one of the reasons given for putting Heather in the host chair. Yet here we are over two years later, with the show presumably in a much weaker position, and Keith was able to quickly attract an experienced and busy host like Dave. I wonder if those initial assertions were never true and were just a justification for giving the show to someone without any credentials, or if only now with enough water under the bridge somebody with Dave's qualifications was willing to consider the role. Anyway, just something I was thinking about.  :)

bellNwhistle

Quote from: DaveSchrader on May 09, 2018, 02:13:29 PM
Because from past experiences, just mentioning Trumps name I get hate from people wanting NOTHING to do with politics. On and from BOTH sides, even his name being mentioned makes everyone paranoid I will be for or against. SO, I avoid it as much as I can.

Yeah, I'd prefer you keep Trump off MITD.. only as is relevant to current events, if you cover them. JMO.

Dyna-X

I'm still laughing about the Dracula Pumpkin.
Where does one get a pumpkin in May? Can't wait until October?
Is peeing a sheepdog like milking a cow?
If he is hurriedly typing this while the sheepdog is waiting, why not just pee the blasted sheepdog out?
Are socks with weird designs an in thing again? Were they used?
Is a "survival pen" just a Space Pen?
Why does he think anyone outside his family wants to see pictures of a deceased dog from 31 years ago? He's not Benji, Rin TinTin, or Laika.

If Paul and Ella have a youtube channel, I fear Falkie may face competition.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: El Chorro on May 09, 2018, 02:12:30 PM
Hey your name DOES look like "eye one voice"
;D

Quote from: IamNegan on May 09, 2018, 02:09:51 PM
True Crime Tuesday was the best! :)
I love it!  Just added it to my crime podcast collection.  8)

DaveSchrader

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 09, 2018, 02:14:04 PM
And how he takes his coffee.

Like I like my women, loaded with Irish Whiskey

GravitySucks

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 09, 2018, 02:15:38 PM
Yeah, I'd prefer you keep Trump off MITD.. only as is relevant to current events, if you cover them. JMO.

Nobody gives a flip what you think. You only show up to post when people die.

zeebo

Quote from: Azzerae on May 09, 2018, 12:35:47 PM
That's the thing I'm after too, interesting guests, and most importantly for me interesting topics. This push for Midnight in the Desert to be a "paranormal" show so turns me off.

What I enjoyed so much about Art is the wide array of subjects he covered, and the chemistry he forged with the person at the other end of the phone. I feel like his later stint on Coast was the most interesting of all, as he would speak to people about things that were ... not exactly current, but rather just ideas you may not think twice about, or seemed pedestrian: The bird flu, consciousness, space, research of various kinds, a kidnapping, little known details of the life of Jesus, peripheral topical "politics", war and other stuff.

Yes I too would prefer a more varied assortment of topics.  Believe it or not, there was a while during Hoagie's brief Saucy Rossy inspired Golden Age where this spirit was embodied well.  Everything was open from from obscure history, to fringe science, to literature/film, etc.  The real joy in the long-form radio Art pioneered is the luxury to dive deeper into interesting areas without the cable-news rush to always get to the next flashing shiny object. 

Paranormal stuff is part of this world of ideas and experience, but it doesn't have to be limited to that.  The reason I was a bit non-committal on Dave as host is on C2C it seemed like 9 out of 10 shows were about hauntings and I grow weary of those pretty quickly.  He did have a show on in the last year on technology, virtual reality or transhumanism, something like that, which was quite good so I know he's got the potential to go other places. 

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Dyna-X on May 09, 2018, 02:15:39 PM
I'm still laughing about the Dracula Pumpkin.
Where does one get a pumpkin in May? Can't wait until October?
Is peeing a sheepdog like milking a cow?
If he is hurriedly typing this while the sheepdog is waiting, why not just pee the blasted sheepdog out?
Are socks with weird designs an in thing again? Were they used?
Is a "survival pen" just a Space Pen?
Why does he think anyone outside his family wants to see pictures of a deceased dog from 31 years ago? He's not Benji, Rin TinTin, or Laika.

If Paul and Ella have a youtube channel, I fear Falkie may face competition.
:-X :-X  (this forum needs a barf emoji)

El Chorro

Quote from: DaveSchrader on May 09, 2018, 02:13:29 PM

Thanks for the response. In some contexts it would seem to be impossible to totally ignore that a POTUS exists. Doesn't that make it hard to ever come out of the "netherworld"? Doesn't that world relate to this one? Rhetorical questions...looking forward to seeing how you walk that tightrope. Thanks again and great shows!

bellNwhistle

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 09, 2018, 02:18:16 PM
Nobody gives a flip what you think. You only show up to post when people die.

I see someone had his Wheaties today?

GravitySucks

Quote from: DaveSchrader on May 09, 2018, 02:17:07 PM
Like I like my women, loaded with Irish Whiskey

I bet your wife is much cuter without the Irish whiskey.

Does she have a sister?

lonevoice

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 09, 2018, 02:13:08 PM
Or I could hand deliver it.
You could, but for some strange reason all the attractive women you meet tell you to go away because they're thinking of becoming lesbians.  Let's keep a little mystery between us.  :-)

GravitySucks

Quote from: lonevoice on May 09, 2018, 02:20:58 PM
You could, but for some strange reason all the attractive women you meet tell you to go away because they're thinking of becoming lesbians.  Let's keep a little mystery between us.  :-)

Sounds like a plan.