• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Winter Holiday Thread

Started by pyewacket, December 04, 2015, 12:33:34 AM

Ms. C

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on December 11, 2015, 04:18:39 PM
And speaking of fudge..

https://youtu.be/11q4q3S57jE

ha-ha ... didn't remember that one ... really funny!  Thanks, and nice to see you Unscreened Caller ... have a wonderful holiday!

Quote from: Ms. C on December 11, 2015, 04:22:30 PM

ha-ha ... didn't remember that one ... really funny!  Thanks, and nice to see you Unscreened Caller ... have a wonderful holiday!

I love that movie! Good seeing you too, Ms C. Have a great holiday, yourself!

Rix Gins

Just stopped by to hang an ornament on the tree.  And to escape all the drama going on at some of the other threads.

Still lots of room left for some more ornaments.  :)

Ciardelo

Quote from: Rix Gins on December 12, 2015, 10:49:15 PM
Just stopped by to to hang an ornament on the tree.  And to escape all the drama going on at some of the other threads.

Awe, that's very nice. I went by the "random things" thread and they about scared the crap out of me.

Rix Gins

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 12, 2015, 10:51:44 PM
Awe, that's very nice. I went by the "random things" thread and they about scared the crap out of me.

I hear ya.  It's nice to have a quiet place to escape to.  ;)

Quote from: Rix Gins on December 12, 2015, 10:49:15 PM
Just stopped by to hang an ornament on the tree.  And to escape all the drama going on at some of the other threads.

That's a wonderful idea! May Santa generously reward you!

pyewacket

What about the Christmas Fruitcake? Do you love it or hate it? Do you give them as gifts? Any good fruitcake recipes?

They even write songs about them;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwxcFmToim8

Here's one man's review of purchased fruitcakes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgSuyucFh-E

Quote from: pyewacket on December 12, 2015, 11:55:58 PM
What about the Christmas Fruitcake? Do you love it or hate it? Do you give them as gifts? Any good fruitcake recipes?

They even write songs about them;

The Superions video is hilarious, but I'd rather give the fruitcake to a neighbor by leaving it on the doorstep anonymously in the middle of the night.   :P

Ciardelo

My sister sends us hand picked oranges from Florida. We send her a fruitcake because that's the way we've always done it damnit. One year the oranges showed up a little bruised and overripe. I didn't tell her but I did call the orange company. She says she likes the fruitcakes.

Someday my Grandchildren will be sending their cousins a fruitcake and they'll be getting oranges. I think we got the better end of the deal. Now where is the eggnog?

K_Dubb

Yes I love them!  Not the fancy monastery ones, the cheap round ones with holes in the middle and glowing nuclear-hued fruit they used to sell in drugstores.  You can still get them from Amazon.  Every year we try some new ones, washed down with egg nog.  Not quite a tasting party but fun.  This year we found some Claxton fruitcake in the back of the fridge from 2012.  The cake has turned into a gooey mush indistinguishable from the fruit -- absolutely f'ing delicious, and possibly hazardous.

pyewacket

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 13, 2015, 12:18:02 AM
This year we found some Claxton fruitcake in the back of the fridge from 2012.  The cake has turned into a gooey mush indistinguishable from the fruit -- absolutely f'ing delicious, and possibly hazardous.

You are one brave soul K_Dubb!  :o The cake in the picture looks inviting though.  ;)

pyewacket

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on December 13, 2015, 12:08:18 AM
The Superions video is hilarious, but I'd rather give the fruitcake to a neighbor by leaving it on the doorstep anonymously in the middle of the night.   :P

Glad you liked it. It reminded me of the B 52s' videos I watched when MTV used to be about music.  ;)

pyewacket

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 13, 2015, 12:16:10 AM
My sister sends us hand picked oranges from Florida. We send her a fruitcake because that's the way we've always done it damnit. One year the oranges showed up a little bruised and overripe. I didn't tell her but I did call the orange company. She says she likes the fruitcakes.

Someday my Grandchildren will be sending their cousins a fruitcake and they'll be getting oranges. I think we got the better end of the deal. Now where is the eggnog?

A nice tradition to pass on, Ciardelo. Gifts of regional specialities and products are a nice idea. 

K_Dubb

Don't have a recipe cuz the one we make changes every year but a tip:  if you don't like corn syrup or can't find the tubs of candied fruit, get some dried pineapple and papaya chunks, some cherries, currants and raisins, dump tons of cinnamon, nutmeg, mace (most important!), cloves, allspice, cardamom and ginger on them, pour rum over, and let it sit for a week in the fridge.  Or shortcut by nuking it all until hot.  The results if you bake with it are far superior to commercially candied fruit and the texture is much the same, though they don't glow in the dark like those green cherries.

Ciardelo

Quote from: pyewacket on December 13, 2015, 12:42:33 AM
A nice tradition to pass on, Ciardelo. Gifts of regional specialities and products are a nice idea.
Yeah, it is kind of nice. Holidays can be comforting participating in traditions. We do miss out on my Gran's hard sauce--I don't know if my sister makes it or not.

pyewacket

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 13, 2015, 12:46:50 AM
Yeah, it is kind of nice. Holidays can be comforting participating in traditions. We do miss out on my Gran's hard sauce--I don't know if my sister makes it or not.

I hope she has the recipe so you can keep passing it down. I've got a few that go back 4 generations or more. Let's hope the next generations will be able to continue them. So much culture is being lost.

Ciardelo

Quote from: pyewacket on December 13, 2015, 12:57:46 AM
I hope she has the recipe so you can keep passing it down. I've got a few that go back 4 generations or more. Let's hope the next generations will be able to continue them. So much culture is being lost.
My sis was the only girl, so she should have all the handwritten recipe cards. I don't say that to be sexist, it just is what it is. She also gets all the sterling silver, china and crystal. My brother's daughter might have gotten some too.  My Mom had a wonderful Godmother. She got Mom a full place setting of sterling silver each year until her 16th birthday. Mom had all the serving pieces, gravy boats, platters, all that. It was very special to be using the good stuff at holidays and special events. :)

My Gran handmade some felt Christmas decorations, card holders etc. I got those and wouldn't trade them for all the money...well...we probably could find a price but it would have to be so high :)

pyewacket

Nice, Cirardelo.  Keepsakes are more than material items, they're memories of family members and part of family history.  :)

Funny you should ask...

I've got vine fruit, apricots, ginger and glace cherries macerating in Jameson's for my boozy Christmas cake, which will be lovingly fed Jameson's in the week leading up to the big day, as will I.  ;D

Time to add some bacon to the tree and another ornament to the beard!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on December 13, 2015, 12:42:23 PM
Time to add some bacon to the tree and another ornament to the beard!

They don't illuminate like they did last year? Shame.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 13, 2015, 01:25:57 PM
They don't illuminate like they did last year? Shame.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but we all remember how well it turned out, don't we?

K_Dubb

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on December 13, 2015, 10:00:42 AM
Funny you should ask...

I've got vine fruit, apricots, ginger and glace cherries macerating in Jameson's for my boozy Christmas cake, which will be lovingly fed Jameson's in the week leading up to the big day, as will I.  ;D

You are keeping Christmas right!

pyewacket

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on December 13, 2015, 10:00:42 AM
Funny you should ask...

Now that sounds scrumptious! Here's some holiday music for Jameson soaked Christmas cheer. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTx-sdR6Yzk

K_Dubb

So dark is the night in midwinter's-time
But see the approaching Lucia!
She comes, the good one, with all the lights here.
She comes with greetings of Christmas peace.
She comes with lights in her crown.

In the dark night of midwinter-time
We welcome you, friend Lucia.
We welcome you, good one, with all the lights here,
We welcome your greetings of Christmas peace,
We welcome the lights in your crown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfW4LTCCdO8

God Luciadagen til alle sammen.

pyewacket

Thank you, K_Dubb! It's been ages since I've heard this song. I'm so happy people are keeping these old traditions alive.

Quote from: pyewacket on December 13, 2015, 02:24:24 PM
Now that sounds scrumptious! Here's some holiday music for Jameson soaked Christmas cheer. ;)

Love the Murphys!  ;D I'll save the Real MacKenzies Auld Lang Syne reply for New Year's Eve.  ;)

This is my favorite time of the year because choirs come into their own, unless you're Welsh and then choirs are in the blood, heh heh.

My two favorites, one stately, one merry.

https://youtu.be/2T3Dv0z8pI8

and

https://youtu.be/6J_2tKCwu7Q