• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Winter Holiday Thread

Started by pyewacket, December 04, 2015, 12:33:34 AM

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 26, 2019, 08:40:52 PM
Been there, done that. The problem is how poverty effects one’s self-esteem. The poor can be self-loathing and often really don’t want to see their own rise above it. In a way they believe in class warfare even more than the middle class and the rich combined. So called progressives want to keep it this way. Their dream is to create a growing army of the angry poor rather than offering them what they really want, which is just to find a way out of poverty and to be able to make their own way and have their own life.
Lumpenproletariat

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 29, 2019, 12:48:43 PM
Care to elaborate?
Classical Marxist-Leninist strategy and another reason they like poor, uneducated people and open borders. They think they can use the lumpenproliterate to foment the class struggle and revolution especially when they are directed by the so-called educated 'useful idiots' in academia and Hollywood. Although they claim to hate the rich or 'ruling class' the reality is that they just want to be them and they hate the middle-class who, in their eyes, are anti-revolutionary because they don't recognize their 'chains' and tend toward nuclear families, social stability and conservatism (not necessarily in the modern political sense but in the social sense,) hard work, religious, etc.  The lack of "class consciousness" and pursuit of property, family, and career make the middle-classes, small businesses, family farms and ranches, etc the number one enemy.

Well, we got far afield from the Winter Holiday Thread. Haha. Its Bellgab.  K_Dubb might be interested to know that I didn't put out any porridge on Christmas Eve. Next day I couldn't find my shoes, someone lost a bonus check they were given, and also a remote control for the tv was, later, found hidden under a chair at the other side of the room!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on December 29, 2019, 01:06:23 PM
Classical Marxist-Leninist strategy and another reason they like poor, uneducated people and open borders. They think they can use the lumpenproliterate to foment the class struggle and revolution especially when they are directed by the so-called educated 'useful idiots' in academia and Hollywood. Although they claim to hate the rich or 'ruling class' the reality is that they just want to be them and they hate the middle-class who, in their eyes, are anti-revolutionary because they don't recognize their 'chains' and tend toward nuclear families, social stability and conservatism (not necessarily in the modern political sense but in the social sense,) hard work, religious, etc.  The lack of "class consciousness" and pursuit of property, family, and career make the middle-classes, small businesses, family farms and ranches, etc the number one enemy.

Well, we got far afield from the Winter Holiday Thread. Haha. Its Bellgab.  K_Dubb might be interested to know that I didn't put out any porridge on Christmas Eve. Next day I couldn't find my shoes, someone lost a bonus check they were given, and also a remote control for the tv was, later, found hidden under a chair at the other side of the room!

Any central government runs on tax dollars from it’s citizens. Other than property and luxury yachts who buys the most shit? The middle class. The rich save and the poor don’t have. Remove the middle class from the equation and you’ve effectively removed the engine of economy, drastically reducing the tax base and therefore government funds to do anything. Maybe I’m missing something but I just don’t see how this could ever work.

Santa doesn’t fuck around. ;)

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on December 29, 2019, 01:06:23 PM

You're lucky he didn't strangle any pets!

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 29, 2019, 03:01:49 PM
You're lucky he didn't strangle any pets!
Indeed. It was a rental- so I figure any ire I might've caused the nisse won't cause me any issues after those initial minor repercussions. Next renter: beware. I wonder if there are disclosure rules about such things, somewhere in VBRO's or Air BNB's fine print?

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on December 29, 2019, 03:09:37 PM
Indeed. It was a rental- so I figure any ire I might've caused the nisse won't cause me any issues after those initial minor repercussions. Next renter: beware. I wonder if there are disclosure rules about such things, somewhere in VBRO's or Air BNB's fine print?

It should be mandatory!  Nisser can't be bothered to understand about modern things like rentals, anyway.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 29, 2019, 03:13:30 PM
It should be mandatory!  Nisser can't be bothered to understand about modern things like rentals, anyway.
Driving back I was scanning radio and came across some NPR repeat about Iceland and the Huldufólk. Old news and the vocal fry of the interviewer was annoying so didn't listen to whole thing. But some old news about highway being diverted lest the trolls/hiddenfolk get mad. And some poll about many Icelanders believing or agnostic about them. I suspect some "chamber of commerce" campaign there also. Of course, NPR host spun the folk tales into a climate change story and, per policy, threw in some anti-Christian stuff. "They are telling us to save the earth" "people in Iceland appreciate nature" "Christianity came late to Iceland." etc.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on December 29, 2019, 03:36:46 PM
Driving back I was scanning radio and came across some NPR repeat about Iceland and the Huldufólk. Old news and the vocal fry of the interviewer was annoying so didn't listen to whole thing. But some old news about highway being diverted lest the trolls/hiddenfolk get mad. And some poll about many Icelanders believing or agnostic about them. I suspect some "chamber of commerce" campaign there also. Of course, NPR host spun the folk tales into a climate change story and, per policy, threw in some anti-Christian stuff. "They are telling us to save the earth" "people in Iceland appreciate nature" "Christianity came late to Iceland." etc.

Just to complicate matters, the rock in question was their church.

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-31987941

Note the interesting phenomenon where the elves, usually above-ground beings, have been transferred to the rocks in the absence of trees to hide in.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 29, 2019, 04:51:57 PM
Just to complicate matters, the rock in question was their church.

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-31987941

Note the interesting phenomenon where the elves, usually above-ground beings, have been transferred to the rocks in the absence of trees to hide in.
They are lucky they didn't get a Poltergeist type of situation. Messing with them AND their church?! (as an aside I thought trolls etc were against church etc?)

And I seem to recall that Iceland whitepages listed by Christian/First name (due to naming customs and frequency of last names) and- in addition to no trees- they banned dogs. Why, I don't know? I've never been, hope to do so. Neighbor's comment was "fuck, beer is expensive there." But otherwise said was amazing.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on December 29, 2019, 05:27:50 PM
(as an aside I thought trolls etc were against church etc?)

Well these are elves, not dwarves or trolls -- the name probably means something like "bright or shining" but half of the suggested etymologies for old Norse names mean the same thing (cf. Baldr).  More like Tolkien's elves (or, Tolkien's elves are more like these) -- tree-dwellers handy with a bow and arrow.  Snorri divides them into light and dark, suggesting a parallel with Christian angels.  They aren't little guys in pointy hats; those are dwarves.

There is a huge debate over whether elves were the spirits of the dead or (my favorite) the byproduct of early interactions between settlers from south of the Baltic and light-haired, forest-dwelling Finns who maybe had superior bows and seemed magical, like Finns always have.  The sense of sharing your land with a parallel forest-dwelling race certainly has echoes even in modern times.

Jojo

Quote from: Stupid Robbings on December 27, 2019, 12:43:51 PM
I have personally spoken with dozens if not hundreds of street people (no exaggeration), offering them the unsolicited advice that most individuals who have earned less than six grand per year of reportable income for the past two consecutive years, have no felony drug convictions, and are not currently in default on Federally guaranteed student loans, are most likely eligible for loans and grants of from $18K - $24K per year to attend college. 

The Government guarantees the loans to the banks, the banks transfer the funds to the schools, the schools deduct tuition, and the balance is disbursed to the student, divided by the number of terms per school year.  The cash is designated for living expenses, to be determined by the student as they see fit.

With maybe two or three exceptions, everyone who I told this to, has responded that either they don't like school, or that they don't want to incur debt.  I suppose that shows integrity, to not accept loans under false pretense, and principled character to live within one's means.

The ominous irony is, that if one abstains from using credit, then they won't qualify to rent an apartment.  Most everyone who isn't independently wealthy, is a slave to bankers.  Wages aren't enough to live on, everybody has to be in debt.  How can the homeless crisis be solved, when the homeless refuse to use credit?

I know for a fact that one of the people I spoke with actually, did return to grad school and is now working in a hospital as a music therapist.  The other was a prior nursing student, who I got the impression was going to go back to school.  There was one other who liked the idea, but wasn't quite ready.
Two words:  Credit Unions.

Jojo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 26, 2019, 08:40:52 PM
Been there, done that. The problem is how poverty effects one’s self-esteem. The poor can be self-loathing and often really don’t want to see their own rise above it. In a way they believe in class warfare even more than the middle class and the rich combined. So called progressives want to keep it this way. Their dream is to create a growing army of the angry poor rather than offering them what they really want, which is just to find a way out of poverty and to be able to make their own way and have their own life.
Of course the poor are most class-conscious and hostile at times.  Because they are the most oppressed.  A whole new low level of prole is currently being created, in the form of people who can't afford housing at all.

By the way, what I've heard from some poor people in an urban/suburban area is that shelters are not safe.

Jojo

Quote from: Asuka Langley on December 26, 2019, 08:45:25 PM
https://www.twitter.com/trey_forde/status/1209958485145903104
What a ridiculous home video.  Some kids don't even have a doll.  Stupid wretch and she got the attitude from her ridiculous parents, clearly.

WOTR

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 31, 2019, 07:57:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgM_gPMsODQ

I wouldn't say that was her best song- but man, could she sing. I know I'm going to sound like one of those old farts... But can you imagine somebody belting it out like that today without autotune?

K_Dubb

Peet's Holiday Blend will save Christmas this year.  My God, what a coffee!  I have never tasted such chocolate and wine.

Ciardelo

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 27, 2020, 05:24:43 PM
Peet's Holiday Blend will save Christmas this year.  My God, what a coffee!  I have never tasted such chocolate and wine.

A shame you couldn't find a bigger picture K_Dubb.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Ciardelo on November 27, 2020, 05:55:02 PM
A shame you couldn't find a bigger picture K_Dubb.

I'm sorry, I should have checked!  That isn't even this year's bag.  Here is the right one.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 27, 2020, 06:03:19 PM
I'm sorry, I should have checked!  That isn't even this year's bag.  Here is the right one.

You would like a coffee called Peets. ::)

albrecht

Might be a nice brew to enjoy while listening to the yearly organworks/podcast. This year is about goat esoterica and antics, apparently. Likely with some baking history.

ps: you would've enjoyed an outdoor Thanksgiving relative who east several plates but is skinny and strong suggesting we all join some kind of 'bootcamps' because it frees your mind and focuses you and the mistake was made when someone questioned "you do 100 pullups every day?" And conversation was eagerly expanded by him to "no, one of set of X, then sprints, another set, ....you have to kick your ass and it will blank your mind from work or family stress and since no basketball league due to Covid" and  then "body/mind" connection and such. Easier to motivate if you hire someone to haze you, basically. Not all were pleased with conversation as gravy was passed or second helpings of pie.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on November 27, 2020, 06:06:41 PM
Might be a nice brew to enjoy while listening to the yearly organworks/podcast. This year is about goat esoterica and antics, apparently. Likely with some baking history.

ps: you would've enjoyed an outdoor Thanksgiving relative who east several plates but is skinny and strong suggesting we all join some kind of 'bootcamps' because it frees your mind and focuses you and the mistake was made when someone questioned "you do 100 pullups every day?" And conversation was eagerly expanded by him to "no, one of set of X, then sprints, another set, ....you have to kick your ass and it will blank your mind from work or family stress and since no basketball league due to Covid" and  then "body/mind" connection and such. Easier to motivate if you hire someone to haze you, basically. Not all were pleased with conversation as gravy was passed or second helpings of pie.

OH yes, I am not the only one!  I have been doing pullups all day to try to get some of that turkey's leg to reside permanently on my noodley arms.  NO carving, I just twisted the whole leg off the bird and went back to my seat, to raucous laughter.  We did outdoor too since my uncle has a picnic shelter thing with a fireplace like one of those CCC things from the 30s, with a view of Mt. Rainier.

This year's podcast will be an absolute blockbuster, larping neopagans beware!  No more candle-work and harp music; the old gods will stride the earth once more in all their sweat and blood and sex.

SpaceMeowMaid

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/hegra-ancient-city-saudi-arabia-untouched-for-millennia-makes-its-public-debut-180976361/

Guess what!? Jackstar almost hit a midget in a wheelchair with his automobile today! Not that close really, but that's worth some high points!

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 27, 2020, 06:31:58 PM
OH yes, I am not the only one!  I have been doing pullups all day to try to get some of that turkey's leg to reside permanently on my noodley arms.  NO carving, I just twisted the whole leg off the bird and went back to my seat, to raucous laughter.  We did outdoor too since my uncle has a picnic shelter thing with a fireplace like one of those CCC things from the 30s, with a view of Mt. Rainier.

This year's podcast will be an absolute blockbuster, larping neopagans beware!  No more candle-work and harp music; the old gods will stride the earth once more in all their sweat and blood and sex.
We await the podcast. Sounds like a nice place and view. The work changes, lockdowns, online schooling, and Thanksgiving has thrown everyone off. Today I woked up sure it was Sunday.
  Outdoor Thanksgiving worked this year no problem. Though the mask and distancing, basically, didn't happen as well as 'they' would've wished. From a non-professional survey of parked vehicles, traffic, and post feast exercise (slow stolls for most) the people didn't obey the 'no family or friends over for Thanksgiving' warnings here. But still see masks at stores etc. Perfect weather and then evening cold-front so fire pit put into action and today Seattle-like weather: gray, rainy, cool. So we lucked out.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on November 27, 2020, 07:06:26 PM
We await the podcast. Sounds like a nice place and view. The work changes, lockdowns, online schooling, and Thanksgiving has thrown everyone off. Today I woked up sure it was Sunday.
  Outdoor Thanksgiving worked this year no problem. Though the mask and distancing, basically, didn't happen as well as 'they' would've wished. From a non-professional survey of parked vehicles, traffic, and post feast exercise (slow stolls for most) the people didn't obey the 'no family or friends over for Thanksgiving' warnings here. But still see masks at stores etc. Perfect weather and then evening cold-front so fire pit put into action and today Seattle-like weather: gray, rainy, cool. So we lucked out.

Here it was rainy and chilly in the morning -- lots of nice sweaters -- but cleared up and you could see the mountain with its fresh snow a little.  Pretty much the same thing here, from what I could tell.  Two cousins and one uncle have had it after one ill-advised party earlier this year (we didn't go) so we know it's not anything to mess around with, even the Trumpistas.  I don't know what it was like in town but the only crowded house on my folks' street with a dozen cars in front was the guy with the Trump flag, unsurprisingly hahaha

ItsOver

I might like that.  I hate most of the Starbucks stuff but do like the Cafe Verona dark roast.  Is it anything like that, Dubb?   I like my brew dark, with lots of flavor.  Kind like how Asuka likes his little friends.

Ciardelo

It really doesn't sound half-bad.  :)

I probably would need to add too much cream in it, like Myke likes his men.