• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151110 - Jim Elvidge - Digital Simulated Reality - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, November 10, 2015, 04:40:50 PM

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: coaster on November 11, 2015, 01:34:23 AM
Open lines does not necessarily mean hoagland will be taking calls. He always avoids taking calls.

He's scared of calls, so he might take 3 or 4 and hold them all for half an hour. Or they'll just be fake.

FLLFlash

Quote from: Zzzzillion on November 11, 2015, 01:17:57 AM
I'm a lawyer and I'd defend that suit pro bono. In fact, I'd pay good money to get a chance at taking Hoagland's deposition. Man would that be fun.

In a slightly too warm room.

If anyone does call into Hoaxland use a name you don't use on Bellgab.

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: Juan Cena on November 11, 2015, 01:34:52 AM
The average snow monkey is at least smarter than Dubya Bush, though. (He still has a financial interest in the Rangers, doesn't he?)
;D

Quote“the machines humans have invented will develop faults and flaws of their own”.

Soon they will no longer be aware of parts of their own minds; repression, denial and fantasy will cloud the empty sky of consciousness. Emerging from an inner world they cannot fathom, antagonistic impulses will govern their behaviour. Eventually these half-broken machines will have the impression that they are choosing their path through life. As in humans, this may be an illusion; but as the sensation takes hold, it will engender what in humans used to be called a soul.

And so the whole sorry business will start up all over again, only this time without what William Burroughs liked to call “soft machines” â€" us, and our like â€" and instead, a lot of rusting clunkers inside which a ghost clamours frantically for release.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/apr/25/the-soul-of-marionette-enquiry-human-freedom-john-gray-review
So we invent machines with AI and they imagine they have souls...that leads me to ask what things created us? If we maybe robots and simulations, etc. Then it sort of implies that it just goes on forever. Why have simulations of such massive wars though? It seems kind of absurd. It seems we must have some form of free will, but that actually causes all our problems, why would we code into our simulations free will? Would we do the same in our AI robots, that they could behave without any guidelines from us? Maybe we are on the planet as a form of containment, like a jail to prevent us from destroying our makers, or a giant lab and or simulation, in other words we maybe smart AI robots that our creators cannot trusts us enough to have us around, maybe the Et's come and check on us, sort of like an antivirus program or malware monitor? HAHA!

norland2424

Quote from: Darth Sandra on November 11, 2015, 01:36:39 AM
If anyone does call into Hoaxland use a name you don't use on Bellgab.

ill call in as scott mckay.... lol

trostol

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 11, 2015, 01:35:34 AM
He's scared of calls, so he might take 3 or 4 and hold them all for half an hour. Or they'll just be fake.

fake is my guess

AppealPlay

Ross Mitchell has an amazing voice.

Oh, Jaz, why are you set on destroying MITD? ;D

Juan Cena

Quote from: nbirnes on November 11, 2015, 01:33:45 AM
I haven't -- but tonight's show reminded me and he's now open in a tab behind the show. Did I return the favor and suggest Rudy Rucker to you? I hope I did.

Haven't gotten the chance to yet. Been dealing with some med issues, and haven't gotten out much lately. I need to go ahead and get a tablet so I can just get stuff online.

AppealPlay

Australia banned the new Nerf toys.  Australia is still a prison. :P

Gumby, Dammit

Art! LOL. Australia was a prison...SORRY Jaz! He gotcha back for ruining his Sirius show!