• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151026 - Dr. Michael Lynch – The Ghost Phenomenon - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 26, 2015, 04:57:57 PM

lonevoice

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 27, 2015, 09:36:09 AM
As my professor used to say after everything he wrote on the board in my first class on Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems: "It is intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer".

Man that used to piss me off.
GS, you have an unusual talent for making science more accessible to the layperson, and you're very skilled with analogies.  Thanks for lighting this thread up last night, much appreciated.

Ciardelo

Quote from: lonevoice on October 27, 2015, 12:33:31 PM
GS, you have an unusual talent for making science more accessible to the layperson, and you're very skilled with analogies.  Thanks for lighting this thread up last night, much appreciated.
He did a pretty good job for someone playing with their balls. Maybe not so much playing with them as putting them on things all over the place.

Tarbaby

Orbs and ghost,s oh my… This doctor last night was a regular sideshow huckster but art was at the top of his game, a regular Wizard of Oz, the man behind the curtain playing the knobs and ropes! In it to win it to put on a great show.

GravitySucks

Quote from: lonevoice on October 27, 2015, 12:33:31 PM

If MUFON starts getting orb reports from Eskimos and seals wash up on the ice from ping pong ball poisoning, remember you didn't here me tell anyone they should ACTUALLY do it.

scottydawg

Yeah 40 minutes in I knew this dope on the line was.......................................BATSHIT CRAZEEEEEE! :o
Give him Tommy's e-mail so him and Jorch can have a long boring cunversateen!

Robert

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 27, 2015, 08:38:40 AMGo to ToysRUs and buy every single round object in the store. Take them up to Nome where you paintedvthe basketball on the street. Now start walking around in erratic circles dropping one or two of the toys and let them fall where they may. You may have to get preety far outside of Nome to drop them all. Some will be closer to your house than the painted basketball, some will be farther away, but in relative terms, they will all be around Nome, Alaska.

Now go back to the dot you painted on the street and imagine the one spot that you can fit that only blocks your line of sight to the basketball without blocking your line of site to any of the other round Toys. Maybe a nano particle on your cornea could do it, but nothing in between you and the painted basketball can occlude the basketball and ONLY the basketball unless it is in arms length of said basketball.

This star is not sitting all by itself in some ultra dark quadrant of space.
No, but let's assume it's in an area ("area" of the apparent surface on the "sky dome") of avg. observable (by the instruments used in the reported study) star density.  What do you suppose that density to be?  Maybe you are underestimating the maximum size of area of parallax traceable by an interposed object on the distant star field that would cover just 1 star.  How many arc-seconds do you think that could be?

Much of it would depend on the sensitivity of the instruments used in the study, and the range of brightness difference they were adjusted to detect.  It's like the complaints about the lack of stars seen in the background of photos taken from the Moon.  If the camera was set to give anywhere close to linear reproduction of the light from the Moon surface, it could not detect the stars.  Similarly, if the data were being collected on the brightness of a particular star, occultations of dimmer stars in the field might not be detectable at all.  That would increase the "dark" area in the problem stated above over what could be detected by telescopes generally.