• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151022 - Douglas Mulhall – Nanotechnology - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 22, 2015, 08:28:51 PM

GeoNemesis

The Technological Singlularity will be one of those things that's always a few years away. Right now lots of people are saying it'll be here by 2050, and when 2050 rolls around they'll be saying 2070, and when 2070 rolls around, they'll be saying 2080.... and so on and so on...

jazmunda

Quote from: Catsmile on October 23, 2015, 12:39:08 AM
Yes.. the "S" word!
Thought I was going to pass out when I heard it...
or maybe my corset is 2 tight.

I'm considering canceling my subscription. :P

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: GeoNemesis on October 23, 2015, 12:42:21 AM
The Technological Singlularity will be one of those things that's always a few years away. Right now lots of people are saying it'll be here by 2050, and when 2050 rolls around they'll be saying 2070, and when 2070 rolls around, they'll be saying 2080.... and so on and so on...

Full fusion deuterium-tritium fusion experiments by 2027!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER

Except . . .

http://www.eweek.com/news/lockheed-martin-claims-sustainable-fusion-is-within-its-grasp.html

Technological advancement is exponential. It is not linear.

"Listen to me, Butterfly, there's only so much nanotech
You can drink in one life
But it will never be enough
To save you from the bottom of your glass"

https://youtu.be/tNz-EiO3BRY

inuk2600

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 23, 2015, 12:41:32 AM
I agree that technology predictions usually tend to be a little ambitious and underestimate complexities.  I really wouldn't be willing to give a time scale, personally.

I really do think society will face a real problem with artificial machine intelligence surpassing us. I know, I'm a Debby Downer :-[

Catsmile

Quote from: jazmunda on October 23, 2015, 12:42:31 AM
I'm considering canceling my subscription. :P

If it weren't for the more pressing matter of finding my missing lace parasol, I'd unsubscribe also.

Quote from: inuk2600 on October 23, 2015, 12:49:08 AM
I really do think society will face a real problem with artificial machine intelligence surpassing us. I know, I'm a Debby Downer :-[

I'm not looking forward to it.

Quote from: coaster on October 23, 2015, 12:48:23 AM
Anyone else think this guest is dull?

I've zoned out through most of it but I think that's more because this subject isn't up my alley.

How do we bring Jesus back? Nanotechnology.

How do we bring about the zombie apocalypse? Nanotechnology.

How do I become rich and have sex with lots of hot womenz? Nanotechnology.

How do I get an inner sense of fulfillment and accomplishment? Nanotechnology.

How do I get Canucks tickets? Nanotechnology.

Catsmile

We will become the machines, don't worry it will be painless... mostly.

Quote from: coaster on October 23, 2015, 12:48:23 AM
Anyone else think this guest is dull?

Very dull. I dunno I am starting to wonder if I am just going to listen to Art on fridays instead from now on.

Strange he never mentioned the heart disease studies he linked to in his PDF.

If the universe was put here for life, it wasn't for us.  It was for the machines we will create.  All we can hope is that they carry our legacy with honour and cherish us as parents.

inuk2600

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 23, 2015, 12:56:15 AM
If the universe was put here for life, it wasn't for us.  It was for the machines we will create.  All we can hope is that they carry our legacy with honour and cherish us as parents.

Amen :'(

inuk2600

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 23, 2015, 12:56:15 AM

Fortunately we are already starting to realize that artificial intelligence will need to be kept crippled, restrained as it were, so it does not overrun us. For that reason I think we will be around for a good while, maybe indefinitely. :)

Quote from: inuk2600 on October 23, 2015, 01:26:41 AM
Fortunately we are already starting to realize that artificial intelligence will need to be kept crippled, restrained as it were, so it does not overrun us. For that reason I think we will be around for a good while, maybe indefinitely. :)

Hopefully we can coexist.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: nooryisawesome on October 23, 2015, 02:37:31 AM
The slutty party girl is fun till she pukes on your shoes.
Or all over your arm because she is so drunk that you can't understand her when she asks you to roll down the window and you don't quite make in time once you do figure out what she was trying to say. Ugh >:(

b_dubb

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 23, 2015, 12:32:02 AM
What indicators are there that say that? I can't find any. The big problem is that most people buy into things like the Jetson's where flying cars are predicted and when that doesn't happen they poo poo any predictions that are made by futurists. They paid attention to a cartoon, but not the actual futurists of the period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD7KYbfLTyw
The ARPA NeT existed in 1974. Queen Elizabeth sent her first email around 1978.

ZomZom

Didn't like how Mulhall kept telling Art, "I'll talk about that later."  It's Art's show; he'll decide when you talk about that.

As for this thread's political side-rail, I'm only for nationalized health care if Australians are paying.  They're all active, beach-going Doublemint twins who don't really need health care anyway.  8)