• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151022 - Douglas Mulhall – Nanotechnology - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 22, 2015, 08:28:51 PM

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 23, 2015, 12:06:54 AM
I suspect not, but may be wrong. As it stands now, it seems like the human brain might be more adaptable to technological implanting than we might have thought five years ago. It seems to be able to adapt itself to technology rather than the other way around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVMDHCnT-d4

That is in fact a direct brain to computer interface accomplishing that.
Beer definitely makes you smarter. After all, it made Bud wiser.

inuk2600

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 23, 2015, 12:06:54 AM
I suspect not, but may be wrong. As it stands now, it seems like the human brain might be more adaptable to technological implanting than we might have thought five years ago. It seems to be able to adapt itself to technology rather than the other way around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVMDHCnT-d4

That is in fact a direct brain to computer interface accomplishing that.

This is very basic neuro interfacing and a lot like Duplo block technology compared to what is needed to truly blow open the doors of spacial cognition and intelligence.

God bless terrestrial radio. You don't get the whackadoo callers like this muslim fear guy if you're not on terrestrial.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: inuk2600 on October 23, 2015, 12:12:27 AM
This very basic neuro interfacing and a lot like Duplo block technology compared to what is needed to truely blow open the doors of spacial cognition and intelligence.

Yes, but five years ago this was thought to be impossible by some. The whole point of singularity technological development is that it moves exponentially faster. It demonstrably already is.

coaster

Claudius

Quote from: VoteQuimby on October 23, 2015, 12:13:24 AM
God bless terrestrial radio. You don't get the whackadoo callers like this muslim fear guy if you're not on terrestrial.
I know right. Although the guest is correct in his assessment that Russia is gleefully pushing refugees into Europe in order to create disorder and disunity in the EU. It's a clever and quite brutal strategy. 

jazmunda

Quote from: coaster on October 23, 2015, 12:15:26 AM
I made a sandwich, came back and now they are onto islam. meh.

What's in your sandwich? Almost dinner time here and I'm hungry. :P

Bateman checked in.  He's resting with a concussion, but nothing more serious than that.

inuk2600

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 23, 2015, 12:14:03 AM
Yes, but five years ago this was thought to be impossible by some. The whole point of singularity technological development is that it moves exponentially faster. It demonstrably already is.

I see this more like when they said everyone will have flying cars by the year 2000.
I think computer intelligence will keep improving on a steady curve though.

jazmunda

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 23, 2015, 12:17:35 AM
Bateman checked in.  He's resting with a concussion, but nothing more serious than that.

I knew he should have had it checked out. You don't fuck around with concussion.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: inuk2600 on October 23, 2015, 12:17:38 AM
I see this more like when they said everyone will have flying cars by the year 2000.
I think computer intelligence will keep improving on a steady curve though.

It's all about viability. Flying cars never were. They need tons of fuel and have no practical use for people when you get down to it. Just because a 1960's cartoon predicted them doesn't mean that they make sense. Now if someone had talked about self-driving cars, the curve there has proven to be WAY faster than any futurist could have ever predicted even two years ago.