• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151022 - Douglas Mulhall – Nanotechnology - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 22, 2015, 08:28:51 PM

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 22, 2015, 11:15:10 PM
The end result of capitalism is technological unemployment as almost all jobs will eventually be automated. Current political ideas on capitalism on both the right and left are woefully obsolete therefore it is likely that things are going to crash and burn. Neither side is capable of managing what's going to happen over the next 20-30 years, therefore a new political order must arise.

Concur.

zeebo

Quote from: trostol on October 22, 2015, 11:14:49 PM
arent other dimensions still just..theories?

They keep poppin up in the math but who knows wtf they really are.   ???

Quote from: RoseGirl on October 22, 2015, 11:15:54 PM
nope...very aware of that 10 second thing...it wasn't that. I was in the middle of posting something and it just wouldn't post and then said it couldn't display the page...check connectivity.

I've been having the odd problem with that today too.

Weirdoradio

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 22, 2015, 11:17:02 PM
Want to destroy a union? Build a bunch of robots.

My last job had me working in a milieu with several very vocal, very strong unions. Most of the tasks involved in the day-to-day of most employees could be easily automated if needed.

Suffice it to say that these unions have strong self-interest in staying ahead of modernity/autonomy.

Also Mulhall just said 'Inter-stellahrrr'. Maybe he is a nanobot himself.

Quote from: Darth Sandra on October 22, 2015, 11:16:51 PM
Art should calm down on the fear mongering. It really gets tiring. I know he is playing it up for compelling radio but I think it's rather dated. I wish he'd be more optimistic.

Yeah, I think that's why I stopped listening in the early 2000s.

GravitySucks

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on October 22, 2015, 11:17:30 PM
Hence my comment about a caring society.  USA! USA! USA!
Quite a bit of my money actually goes to charity and I have helped provide for children in India and Colombia.  I tend to believe that I am a better judge where my money should go than some politician.

But I agree that our country is screwed up. Now that over 50% do not pay any income tax they will keep viting for people that promise them free stuff. Trouble is there is no free stuff.

Where is Art getting this stuff about CERN?  It sounds like the same nonsense that was being paraded around before September 23rd.

zeebo

We must be getting close to this singularity since I get a friggin Adobe update like every week and I can't predict wtf it does.

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 22, 2015, 11:15:10 PM
The end result of capitalism is... <snip>

No.  The end result - given no logical and intelligent restraints is...

The top 1% now owns half the world's wealth
     by  Daniel Bentley

October 14, 2015, 4:20 PM EDT

The richest 1% of the world's population now owns 50% of its total wealth, according to a report by Credit Suisse.

Worldwide, there are 34 million people who have a U.S. dollar net worth of at least $1 million, or 0.7% of the global adult population, and they account for 45% of global wealth. If you extend the bracket to include those with less than $1 million, but still within the top 1%, then total wealth crosses the magic 50% line.

http://fortune.com/2015/10/14/1-percent-global-wealth-credit-suisse/

You would have to be either very stupid or a sociopath not to be extremely disturbed by this.

Weirdoradio

Quote from: RoseGirl on October 22, 2015, 11:22:11 PM
what the heck is a 'technologist'?

Someone who sits at a desk and stares at a calendar whose dates have yet to come.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on October 22, 2015, 11:22:08 PM
No.  The end result - given no logical and intelligent restraints is...

The top 1% now owns half the world's wealth
     by  Daniel Bentley

October 14, 2015, 4:20 PM EDT

The richest 1% of the world’s population now owns 50% of its total wealth, according to a report by Credit Suisse.

Worldwide, there are 34 million people who have a U.S. dollar net worth of at least $1 million, or 0.7% of the global adult population, and they account for 45% of global wealth. If you extend the bracket to include those with less than $1 million, but still within the top 1%, then total wealth crosses the magic 50% line.

http://fortune.com/2015/10/14/1-percent-global-wealth-credit-suisse/

You would have to be either very stupid or a sociopath not to be extremely disturbed by this.

Won't last. They will be drawn to automation naturally as a result of capitalism. Yet as the human race goes unemployed, their markets will dry up. That will require the nationalization/globalization of the means of production. They will be in the same boat as the rest of us as currency itself goes obsolete.

Quote from: RoseGirl on October 22, 2015, 11:22:11 PM
what the heck is a 'technologist'?

Someone with a diploma from a school of technology, like a practical engineer.