• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151022 - Douglas Mulhall – Nanotechnology - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 22, 2015, 08:28:51 PM

GravitySucks

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 22, 2015, 11:09:38 PM
Sure. And the capitalistic approach fixes some of those problems but introduces problems of its own. I think the solution is in the transition to a resource based economy as we will be forced to do over the next 50 years.
Tort reform goes a long way to keep costs from skyrocketing. More and more doctors are relicatijg to Texas for that reason.

Weirdoradio

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 22, 2015, 11:09:38 PM
Sure. And the capitalistic approach fixes some of those problems but introduces problems of its own. I think the solution is in the transition to a resource based economy as we will be forced to do over the next 50 years.

The ideal dream.

But in order to get to there, I do think that a lot of things will have to crash and burn and we'll have to bear the brunt of the shittiness as a society in order to climb out of the hole that capitalism (in practice, not the model itself) has dug for us.

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 22, 2015, 10:59:29 PM
See, innovation works when there is competition. Read the article where it talks about the other 7800 drugs they want to reduce the price on. Market driven.

There's that argument.  Then there's the simple matter of Big Pharma.  Ever hear of them?

Claudius

Quote from: RoseGirl on October 22, 2015, 11:10:33 PM
wow....weird.
I've not been able to connect normally until just now, I've been using a proxy service to connect for most of the night. So it's not just you.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 22, 2015, 11:11:16 PM
Tort reform goes a long way to keep costs from skyrocketing. More and more doctors are relicatijg to Texas for that reason.

We should have done tort reform 20 years ago.

michio

The teeny tiny black hole will evaporate. Cosmic rays. yada yada yada To no avail.

RoseGirl

Quote from: Claudius on October 22, 2015, 11:11:52 PM
I've not been able to connect normally until just now, I've been using a proxy service to connect for most of the night. So it's not just you.

yeah...something odd is going on....another attack maybe? dunno

GravitySucks

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on October 22, 2015, 11:11:33 PM
There's that argument.  Then there's the simple matter of Big Pharma.  Ever hear of them?
Yeah. That's why I got them in my 401k

Claudius

Quote from: trostol on October 22, 2015, 11:11:45 PM
Art doesnt like CERN it seems lol
That's because Art sees science through the lense of a 1950's low budget sci-fi movie. Every scientist is on the verge of 'ending the world'

Quote from: coaster on October 22, 2015, 11:12:47 PM
I'm not following this at all.

I'm barely paying attention and really only here for the thread. Not my type of show I am afraid.

norland2424

Quote from: RoseGirl on October 22, 2015, 11:13:03 PM

no you tripped the anti flooding protection on bellgab, wait 10 secs before every refresh

Weirdoradio

Quote from: coaster on October 22, 2015, 11:12:47 PM
I'm not following this at all.

Bro.

It's simple, bro.

This Mulhall fellar wants to unleash nanobots to eat everything and turn us all into grey goo.

And then we'll just all hang out together as one uniform blob, thanks to nanotechnology.

And the words 'dark matter' got thrown out.

And Mulhall pronounces 'evolution' as 'evil-lotion'.

GravitySucks

Sometimes it thinks you are refreshing too much and blocks you because it thinks you are a bot.

Donald Noory

The grey goo can fight it out with the sentient black goo that German guy waffles on about.

Claudius

No thats not how a DDOS or DOS attack manifest. The server would be taken down and no one would be on here.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Weirdoradio on October 22, 2015, 11:11:29 PM
The ideal dream.

But in order to get to there, I do think that a lot of things will have to crash and burn and we'll have to bear the brunt of the shittiness as a society in order to climb out of the hole that capitalism (in practice, not the model itself) has dug for us.

The end result of capitalism is technological unemployment as almost all jobs will eventually be automated. Current political ideas on capitalism on both the right and left are woefully obsolete therefore it is likely that things are going to crash and burn. Neither side is capable of managing what's going to happen over the next 20-30 years, therefore a new political order must arise. 

RoseGirl

Quote from: norland2424 on October 22, 2015, 11:14:07 PM
no you tripped the anti flooding protection on bellgab, wait 10 secs before every refresh

nope...very aware of that 10 second thing...it wasn't that. I was in the middle of posting something and it just wouldn't post and then said it couldn't display the page...check connectivity.

Weirdoradio

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 22, 2015, 11:15:10 PM
The end result of capitalism is technological unemployment as almost all jobs are automated. Current political ideas on capitalism on both the right and left are woefully obsolete therefore it is likely that things are going to crash and burn. Neither side is capable of managing what's going to happen over the next 20-30 years, therefore a new political order must arise.

Agreed. And complicating factors (such as powerful unions) will make this even harder to navigate too.

GravitySucks

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 22, 2015, 11:15:10 PM
The end result of capitalism is technological unemployment as almost all jobs will eventually be automated. Current political ideas on capitalism on both the right and left are woefully obsolete therefore it is likely that things are going to crash and burn. Neither side is capable of managing what's going to happen over the next 20-30 years, therefore a new political order must arise.

Art should calm down on the fear mongering. It really gets tiring. I know he is playing it up for compelling radio but I think it's rather dated. I wish he'd be more optimistic. 

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Weirdoradio on October 22, 2015, 11:16:12 PM
Agreed. And complicating factors (such as powerful unions) will make this even harder to navigate too.

Want to destroy a union? Build a bunch of robots.

Claudius

Quote from: Darth Sandra on October 22, 2015, 11:16:51 PM
Art should calm down on the fear mongering. It really gets tiring. I know he is playing it up for compelling radio but I think it's rather dated. I wish he'd be more optimistic.
Wait this isn't C2C from 1998-1999?