• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151006 - Prof. Ronald Mallett - Time Travel - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, October 06, 2015, 08:01:38 PM

twiki

Quote from: pumaman on October 07, 2015, 08:44:14 PM
You are a strange illogical person. 

Good evening

I'm just messing with ya.

Welcome to the Bell gab. The place where you got to take it as well as you dish it out.

Post often.

Catsmile

Quote from: pumaman on October 07, 2015, 08:56:42 PM
Tell me why a photon is a particle.

Sigh...

Well "Dr."  I ain't got no fancy book learnin' likes u due.
Maybe you take issue with this little fizicks conundrum below.
Then use ur doctor learnin' an git 'er changed, and set the world straight.

Waveâ€"particle duality
Waveâ€"particle duality is the fact that every elementary particle or quantic entity exhibits the properties of not only particles, but also waves. It addresses the inability of the classical concepts "particle" or "wave" to fully describe the behavior of quantum-scale objects. As Einstein wrote: "It seems as though we must use sometimes the one theory and sometimes the other, while at times we may use either. We are faced with a new kind of difficulty. We have two contradictory pictures of reality; separately neither of them fully explains the phenomena of light, but together they do".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave%E2%80%93particle_duality

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: pumaman on October 07, 2015, 08:14:20 PM
Absolutely.  However I do not look like that particular individual in your photograph.
Man....you need to stay the hell outa those bath houses.

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: pumaman on October 07, 2015, 08:56:42 PM
Tell me why a photon is a particle.
A photon is not a particle. It's a theory, just like everything else.

AppealPlay

I'm halfway through the archive and wow, this was a good show!

Smoley

As soon as you build the data receiver to listen for neutron bits from the future, the inbox will be flooded with messages from all sorts of entities since they will have known when the device was created and made operational. 

You could be getting messages about how to avoid an apocalypse, or you could be getting messages tricking you into creating one.  You could be getting spam, just as you would with a free e-mail account on the Internet.  You won't be able to trust what information you're receiving so of what value is it really? 

You'd eventually come to realize that you've spent billions inventing the equivalent of a Magic 8 Ball.

AppealPlay

Quote from: Smoley on October 08, 2015, 02:39:41 PM
As soon as you build the data receiver to listen for neutron bits from the future, the inbox will be flooded with messages from all sorts of entities since they will have known when the device was created and made operational. 

You could be getting messages about how to avoid an apocalypse, or you could be getting messages tricking you into creating one.  You could be getting spam, just as you would with a free e-mail account on the Internet.  You won't be able to trust what information you're receiving so of what value is it really? 

You'd eventually come to realize that you've spent billions inventing the equivalent of a Magic 8 Ball.

Exciting, isn't it?

Sehnzeleid

Quote from: pumaman on October 07, 2015, 07:43:29 PM
Dear Dr. Mallett:

Einstein's non-linear partial differential equations for general relativity has a virtually unlimited number of solutions.  Your  "revelation" is that you cherry picked one solution that could allow for time travel using  a cyclic laser beam arrangement.  However, as you well know Olum and Everett has shown that your laser would have to be larger than the actual size of known universe, amongst other practically impossible if not absurd physical assumptions.

Dr. West is that you? 

pumaman

Quote from: Catsmile on October 07, 2015, 09:32:18 PM

Waveâ€"particle duality
Waveâ€"particle duality is the fact that every elementary particle or quantic entity exhibits the properties of not only particles, but also waves. It addresses the inability of the classical concepts "particle" or "wave" to fully describe the behavior of quantum-scale objects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave%E2%80%93particle_duality

Correct. 

I did not quote the rest of your comment because it is irrelevant to my original query.

pumaman

Also, mr "catsmile",   

Whilst you are wasting my time  -- albeit comically-- trying lecture me on my ignorance of wave particle duality, I am waiting for you to give a logical response to my original serious analysis, as thus:

"Einstein's non-linear partial differential equations for general relativity has a virtually unlimited number of solutions.  Dr. Mallett's  "revelation" is that he cherry picked one solution that could allow for time travel using  a cyclic laser beam arrangement.  However, as you well know Olum and Everett has shown that Dr Malletts' laser would have to be larger than the actual size of known universe, amongst other practically impossible if not absurd physical assumptions."

regards,

Dr. Brinton Corb,
Sc.D. Massachussetts Institute of Technology 1983