• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150924 - David Jacobs - UFOs & Abductions - LIVE Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, September 24, 2015, 05:00:22 PM

Chronaut

Quote from: ArJuna on September 25, 2015, 01:06:57 AM
I've been on board this ride for more than 40 years and I have had a lot of puzzle pieces that have come together. It sounds like you too are realizing that reality is much different than the consensus version.  8)
Well don't hold out on us!  What other pieces have you got?

I have a trusted friend who confided in me about a couple of his encounters with these creatures; before that I just assumed that abductee experiences were a modern form of sleep paralysis / hypnogogic ideation, like the "night hag" phenomenon.  But now I'm not so sure.  His story has always fascinated me.

He was packing up his instruments in his band's rehearsal space one afternoon, and felt a strange presence and looked around.  And as he was looking at the door into the room, which had a glass window, he saw a large grey head with large dark eyes rise up and look right at him through the window.  It scared the crap out of him.  Then it moved away and he clearly heard an oddly synthetic-sounding voice say "tattle tale," and he summoned the courage to go look for it in the hallway.  It was gone, and he hadn't heard the door to the hallway open or close.

It wasn't until years later that I heard Art's amazing interview with Darrell Sims, and his framing of the phenomenon in the light of a covert extraterrestrial operation, that the remark made any sense to me.  It's looking like this could actually be happening, and "they" want to keep it a secret.  A policy they seem to have in common with our own government.

I'm very skeptical of testimony gleaned from hypnosis.  But it seems to carry more weight after hearing the account of my very lucid and intelligent friend, who's never undergone hypnosis, and wisely chooses the few people he talks to about his experiences with great care.

Jocko Johnson

Quote from: SredniVashtar on September 25, 2015, 11:30:53 AM
If by "NY attitude" you mean "gratuitously unpleasant" then I can well imagine. Your fellow rotten apples don't exactly have a reputation for their shy and endearing natures. I'd rather french kiss a rattlesnake than get anywhere near you lot - and I say that with love and respect.

Present company excepted, I'm sure!
Have you ever lived in NYC?
There reside some of the nicest and most generous people, perhaps rushed and gruff at times, but never back stabbing and phoney. If they are coming for you they will do it and tell you why, where, how and when...right to your face. What I meant was a no nonsense attitude. So my friend...you may take it of leave...no insult intended. ; )

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: ZomZom on September 25, 2015, 09:47:13 AM
I had high hopes for this show and my expectations were exceeded.  I read Secret Life in the early 90s and couldn't sleep well for months afterward.  Jacobs is on top of his game and I find his work to be very compelling.  Great show.

I will add that the Emma Woods case, which I was not familiar with until reading this thread (thank you for that) is troubling, and I would like to hear Jacobs respond.  Still, even if true, it seems to me that the allegations that Jacobs placed hypnotic suggestions in Woods' mind for the purpose of confusing the aliens, while unethical under normal circumstances, underscore his veracity.

I think you're missing the point.  He hypnotized her OVER THE PHONE.  And thousands of miles away from the client!  And it's highly debatable if he even has the credentials and training to properly conduct hypnosis.  The client (in this case) possibly had mental health issues.  Why would Jacobs do such a thing under those circumstances?

This fellow's post is worth reading:

"Essentially, this "Emma Woods" is accusing Jacobs of unethical practice....for practicing hypnosis over the phone, among other allegations..and let's remember he is NOT a medical Dr of even a psychologist...he is a professor/PHD allegedly of history at Temple University."

Thread here:

http://ufomania.proboards.com/thread/1052/emma-woods-david-jacobs

Another interesting thread here.  (not my words below, but they make the point clear)

Firstly: Anyone who undergoes hypnotism on the phone with the view that it is ok is retarded.

Secondly: Any so called qualified  'therapist' who even tacitly accepts this, is retarded.

https://digitalseance.wordpress.com/2011/09/21/the-emma-woods-hoax/

This case spun around at The Paracast back in 2010.  It got very heated and controversial, and at the end of the day both sides - Jacobs and Woods - took a lot of hits.  I just went over to the archives and I'm having trouble finding the specific episode(s) where it was discussed.  I almost wonder if Gene Steinberg deleted them or something.  That's how crazy it was.  I do recall that some words of culpability were spoken by Jacobs somewhere along the line, and that increased my respect for him somewhat.

I could go on, and I will if necessary.  It was A BAD THING and needs to be noted.

GravitySucks

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on September 25, 2015, 07:32:25 PM
I think you're missing the point.  He hypnotized her OVER THE PHONE.  And thousands of miles away from the client!  And it's highly debatable if he even has the credentials and training to properly conduct hypnosis.  The client (in this case) possibly had mental health issues.  Why would Jacobs do such a thing under those circumstances?

This fellow's post is worth reading:

"Essentially, this "Emma Woods" is accusing Jacobs of unethical practice....for practicing hypnosis over the phone, among other allegations..and let's remember he is NOT a medical Dr of even a psychologist...he is a professor/PHD allegedly of history at Temple University."

Thread here:

http://ufomania.proboards.com/thread/1052/emma-woods-david-jacobs

Another interesting thread here.  (not my words below, but they make the point clear)

Firstly: Anyone who undergoes hypnotism on the phone with the view that it is ok is retarded.

Secondly: Any so called qualified  ‘therapist’ who even tacitly accepts this, is retarded.

https://digitalseance.wordpress.com/2011/09/21/the-emma-woods-hoax/

I could go on, and I will if necessary.  It was A BAD THING and needs to be noted.
These are the reports I was referring to when he allegedly denied using hypnosis:
http://ufotrail.blogspot.com/2015/04/david-jacobs-and-insults-to-intelligence.html

I think he is delusional and like climate change fanatics will do whatever it takes to prove some preconceived conclusion that they have some sort of stake in. 

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: Jocko Johnson on September 25, 2015, 10:57:22 AM
Bateman is the guy to nail the creeps to the wall.

I used to love listening to David Biedny back in the day for the same reason.  He was the absolute best at slamming the bullshitters against the wall.  No one could touch Biedny when he was in his prime at The Paracast.   No one.  It's worth it for those of you who aren't familiar with his stuff to go back and listen to some of those old episodes.  Some of them really stand out, like the one with Steven Greer, Nancy Talbott, all great stuff.  He made them pay for their stupidity/lies/BS, that's for sure.

It was a massive breath of fresh air to discover Biedny back in 2006.  After years and years of listening to radio and podcasts of people blindly accepting all of the horse shit that some of the people in this field spew out, here comes this angry and extremely intelligent dude to put them in their place.  Awesome.   :)

Yet there are still hordes of people who come into this field and they get blindly sucked into the same old tired crap that comes out of some of these people's mouths.  Case in point is the KGRA crowd.  Recently I started hanging around on their forum and listening to some of their shows, and while they have their strong elements (Dolan, Hanks etc.), wow do they ever have their "true believers".  Some of them will believe anything that anyone tells them.  Go check out their forum if you're interested in seeing what I mean.  Wow.  Some of those people desperately need counseling.  Unfortunately they don't have anyone telling them that the paranormal is no substitute for therapy.

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 25, 2015, 07:41:19 PM
These are the reports I was referring to when he allegedly denied using hypnosis:
http://ufotrail.blogspot.com/2015/04/david-jacobs-and-insults-to-intelligence.html

I think he is delusional and like climate change fanatics will do whatever it takes to prove some preconceived conclusion that they have some sort of stake in.

Thanks for the link, GS.  Interesting stuff.

This post by "Emma" stands out:

In my opinion, the contradictions show Temple University running for cover, and Dr. Jacobs going to absurd lengths to try to hide his misuse of hypnosis from the public.

The idea that Dr. Jacobs has not been doing hypnosis, when he himself has talked since 1986 about the fact that he does indeed do hypnosis, is ludicrous.

GravitySucks

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on September 25, 2015, 08:01:46 PM
Thanks for the link, GS.  Interesting stuff.

This post by "Emma" stands out:

In my opinion, the contradictions show Temple University running for cover, and Dr. Jacobs going to absurd lengths to try to hide his misuse of hypnosis from the public.

The idea that Dr. Jacobs has not been doing hypnosis, when he himself has talked since 1986 about the fact that he does indeed do hypnosis, is ludicrous.

Exactly...

ZomZom

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on September 25, 2015, 07:32:25 PM

You're killing my paranormal buzz.

In other words, I agree with you.  But, to enjoy the show to its maximum potential, in Jacobs' case I choose to go along with the ride and suspend disbelief that we are being bred out of existence by alien-human hybrids.  If we are, then such an ethical (and desperate) transgression is minor compared to the potential benefit of confusing the aliens.

GravitySucks

Quote from: ZomZom on September 25, 2015, 08:13:45 PM

In other words, I agree with you.  But, to enjoy the show to its maximum potential, in Jacobs' case I choose to go along with the ride and suspend disbelief that we are being bred out of existence by alien-human hybrids.  If we are, then such an ethical (and desperate) transgression is minor compared to the potential benefit of confusing the aliens.
So, your assumption is that being bred out of existance is a bad thing?

ZomZom

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 25, 2015, 08:53:23 PM
So, your assumption is that being bred out of existance is a bad thing?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Chronaut

Haha!  Now that's a strategy we humans might just might be able to use to prevail over a superior form of intelligence - we can infect their minds with our confusion:  they'll never see it coming!

JamesMcDonald

Come on man.  Seriously.  Re-examine your priorities.  In the Emma Woods case, your desire for entertainment does not trump Jacobs's complete and utter irresponsibility.  Jacobs has a Ph.D and he should know full well there's a line that shouldn't be crossed, yet he blatantly crossed it.  I, too, appreciate the entertainment value of the paranormal field.  I enjoy "suspending my disbelief" in a tempered manner from time to time in order to enjoy things more, but you have to know when to say when.

We're all adults here.  We should all be smart enough and mature enough to know when someone has crossed the line and call them out on it, otherwise the field will continue to suffer.  The waters will continue to be muddied.

My wife is a counselor and I can tell you there is a real world out there with people who have very serious mental health problems.  You wouldn't suspend your disbelief and enjoy the show when you're sitting across the room from a group of people who have serious drug addictions and mental health problems.

You're just wrong about this, plain and simple, and I think the more you dig into that Emma Woods case the more you'll agree with me.

Gruntled

I'm open to believe there are abductions. Hell I'm on this forum right?
However I find Jacobs is mostly unbelievable.

The one thing I totally believe is he is trying to sell books.
Just my opinion. Thanks

Weirdoradio

I relistened to the episode today and I think there's only one real way to explain everything:

The alien entities are toying with Jacobs. They're pranking the shit out of him.
Definitely the most plausible explanation.

This entire thing may be like Bowfinger, and the alien folks may deliver us a film of epic proportions.

Catops

I scanned the thread and then started listening to the show.  At first, it was mysteriously difficult to focus on anything Jacobs was saying - but in all honesty that's probably because I've already written off anything he has to say (full disclosure and all that).  However, the caller Jo at 2 hours 18 min on the archive show asked a REALLY INTERESTING question linking Montagues Summers' description of how incubi and succubi operate, taken from Malleus Malleficarum, to Jacob's hubrid scenario.  Brilliant question, suggesting that the same very basic human preoccupations may drive the creation of spiritual narratives (which is what I consider Jacobs to be doing) in the same direction even over passing centuries.  Way to go, Jo!  Cool question and nice to hear from someone familiar with Summers' work.

A working scientist trained in genetic research and qualitative research methodology has reviewed Jacob's book here:

(SPOILERS!)

https://jayvay.wordpress.com/2015/09/26/david-jacobs-wants-scientists-to-take-his-work-seriously-a-scientist-does-just-that/

pumaman

As a human insect hybrid myself, i found this show fascinating.

Weirdoradio

Quote from: pumaman on September 27, 2015, 03:53:49 AM
As a human insect hybrid myself, i found this show fascinating.

As a human/insect hybrid, are there any parts of what Dr. Jacobs was saying that you actually disagree with/that are factually wrong?

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Jocko Johnson on September 25, 2015, 04:49:01 PM
There reside some of the nicest and most generous people, perhaps rushed and gruff at times, but never back stabbing and phoney. If they are coming for you they will do it and tell you why, where, how and when...right to your face. What I meant was a no nonsense attitude. So my friend...you may take it of leave...no insult intended. ; )

None taken  :)

Just pulling your leg.

indigoo

This guy was nuts, haha...and a Temple U professor nonetheless!

Quote from: Jocko Johnson on September 25, 2015, 04:49:01 PM
There reside some of the nicest and most generous people

Thank you, sweetie! Don't forget intelligent and witty, awfissah. Do you ever miss the accents?  ;)

pumaman

I think this was my favorite artbell/ coast 2 coast show ever.  Just my opinion.  I have no rational explanation why. Maybe it was the bland frankness with which Jacobs slowly revealed that a large majority of people are human insect hybrids.