• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Cooking With Chefist!

Started by chefist, July 01, 2015, 01:49:35 PM

jazmunda

Batch Two ... Now with 50% more Onion.

pate

So many irons in the fire, sew many shirts to starch...

Where to start?

I have a few 'spearmints to bark at tonight:

1:  Banannna(sp) bread
2:  Sauerkraut/chocroute(sp) substitutes in modern organic market conditions.

=====

All thinks bean Equal(tm), I am not sure how divulge the information in the Maple Seed (Johnny-type, 1 EA)...

break,break,break...  methinks Canadian Sweet has been tapped out.

Um.

Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage same family?  Perhaps misnomer.  Question:  Can a form of pickled cabbage be made from early leaves of cash0crop?

Answer:  Could feed the masses rotten cabbage fambly.  We rally in small batches.  that is all.

________

Carry on 2wit BaNANanna bread receipts, as per "High Quality Shortening" (may or may not be dietary for sePacifics.)

I have said too much

pate

On question #1, Mee-Maw's recipe does not indicate weather to greece&dust the loaf-pan(urban dictionary, beware).

I choose option.

That is all, spearmints a-go-go...

ediot: The Oven Is Hot.  I say again:  The Oven Is Hot

pate

Start thyme is fife-fife minutes from now (+/- minutes) for finish point on NannerBread.

Reports to follow.

Custom "good shortening" substitute seemed to cream well, very fluffy almost whipped cream soft-peak stage.  Oven temp good.  Two-sift flour and leavening stage, as opposed to standard three-sift.  Original recipe does not specify sift rate.  Fears of over-rise in standard 9x3x4" loaf pan;  batter filled pan to leip/edge pre-cooking.  Fire extinguisher & smoke alarms in good order and standing by.

Further notes are classified "eyes only."

Mission continues...

pate

Ten minutes on the timer left, the smells of banana carmelization are frightening, but delicious...

Do I open that door?

I stand fast, and await the final outcome...

Oh, dear

pate

Praise Cthulu!

My minor modifications to the rediprecipice(sp) have failed.  Bubbling Herr Obphr. Froth have become reality, just as in my dreams.  I should have listened to Mary.

Ms. Shelley warned and I did not heed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKcAYMb5uk4

I continue to bake, and hope for the best

pate

O Leviathan, what wrot with me>?

I have come to question my formulation of the "high quality shortening," mere moments ago upon opening the oven I was confronted with a vast overflowing Monster, lightly golden and fluffy!  Old Nanner, never told me that the receipt would be due someday, and I never conceived that it would be so heavy with beautiful gold.

More than a man could carry, how he tries.  Here are riches, but the shoulders that bear this cannot be mine.  I find I am glad I took no discrete notes, a quick-bread of this magnitude would surely see the end of the world in indolence and sloth as each fights the other for but a morsel.  I must rid my memory of the steps, and idilute-orate the shenanigan to the catholic appetite.

One becomes two, then two plus the one becomes three!  Oh starry heathen, how I loft goldenly...

Or 'twere it idle hands?

Not Sayin' (PM for high quality shortening recipe).

Oh stars, when you have cooled and fallen.  THEN we shall truly have assayed your worth, or something.

K_Dubb

I am also baking at this late hour, dear pate.  A banana bread that is golden and fluffy?  That would erase all the memories of the poorly mixed dense bricks of my childhood and the flax-seed-studded loaves of my adolescence.  What is this shortening, and what drives you to use it?

pate

In short(hehening!), madness.  Sir, simple madness.

I am loathe to describe the thing, in part because many Heath(tm) tribes might object.  What is known can hurt, but ignorance can be forgiven?  Si vous me dissez, c'est vrai.  N'est pas?

What have I said>!?!

ediot:  Manatees and other animals were harmed in the typing of this post

2edit:  At the time of above missive I had not yet check the cooling proto-Grand-nana loaf in it's cooling pan, upon further review the referee decided that the power-froward had somehow fallen and needed a turnt-up-eleventy, or down, Not Sure.

I digress and get tired of fighting the English language, 'pologies...

K_Dubb

Hahaha is it animal, vegetable, or mineral?  What vegetable would be oily enough to extract appreciable quantities at home?  Peanuts?  And would you hydrogenate it somehow?  I assure you that, as one who saves every drop of precious fat that drips off roasts, sausages, burgers, nothing would scandalize me.

And a fallen loaf hides the promise of a gooey center, which may firm up to a delightful dexture in the fridge!  Thorough baking is overrated.  Far more injustice has been done by overbaking than under.

pate

I discovered through this entirely reliable online source that fats as shortening (to include lard) weigh 205g.  My mystery ingredient plus corn oil was somewhat north of 1:1 ratio, perhaps 1.2:1 ; mystery:corn oil?...

A lady friend prompted my journey as she strenuously eschewed the use of such filth known by the trade name of Crisco, as a fellow carnivore I felt she might not be inclined to anger should she find out in the post-prandial that certain animal fats were used in the creation of the lofty loaf.

I wonder if it will be tasted, as the subject's natural reported tastes tend not to the sweet department.  Perhaps a kin of suet will dull the saccharin delight I have prepared?  One cannot know, althought(sic) I think I will enjoy whatever the outcome. 

This reminds me that I need to check the Nutty-Professor-Banana to see if it has cooled enough upside down for a "test-slice"

I hope the gooey center you predict isn't too gooey, or I will have to wrap it to equalize the moisture levels.  I am loath to slice the loaf in half to check.

"Just a bit off the well done end, if you please sir!"

K_Dubb

Oh I'm sure it will be delicious!  I think the English even have a lardy cake which is very sweet.

I see my cake has fallen, too, though not as much as last time, sadly.  The middle was my favorite part; always started eating the crust first, like pie.

pate

I shall try again to post the pics,

I just ate an end-piece, the center looked sketchy when I wrapped it in plastic...

K_Dubb

It looks beautifully light, golden and fluffy!  I've never seen a banana bread like that before.  They're usually dark with an unappetizing sullen gray tinge.

pate

One more picture for the looky-lou's that have to eat their hearts out while I eat this delicious golden Crazy-as-a-Krait-of-Bananas bread...

ediot: the astute observer will note that I nibbled on the crispy golden edges of the loaf a bit.  I forgive myself...  it was an experimental recipe, a delicious experimental recipe if I say so myself

akwilly

Quote from: pate on May 13, 2016, 05:43:22 AM
One more picture for the looky-lou's that have to eat their hearts out while I eat this delicious golden Crazy-as-a-Krait-of-Bananas bread...

ediot: the astute observer will note that I nibbled on the crispy golden edges of the loaf a bit.  I forgive myself...  it was an experimental recipe, a delicious experimental recipe if I say so myself
looks great Pate. Hey what's the blue stuff in the zip lock bag?

pate

Quote from: akwilly on May 13, 2016, 05:51:31 AM
looks great Pate. Hey what's the blue stuff in the zip lock bag?

Oh, crap.  Mr. Heisenberg is gonna have Tuco whack me!

It's MiracleGrow, I swear...

akwilly

Quote from: pate on May 13, 2016, 05:53:56 AM
Oh, crap.  Mr. Heisenberg is gonna have Tuco whack me!

It's MiracleGrow, I swear...
lol

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 13, 2016, 05:34:19 AM
Oh I'm sure it will be delicious!  I think the English even have a lardy cake which is very sweet.

I had one when I was a kid on holiday in Somerset. It was a large fruit bun, really, and you'd cut off slices and spread it with butter. I think it had crystallised sugar on it, if I remember, unless I'm mixing it up with Bath buns. The west country is not a good place to go if you're worried about your waistline, with all that clotted cream and Devon butter. Not to mention Cornish ice cream.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 13, 2016, 06:39:58 AM
I had one when I was a kid on holiday in Somerset. It was a large fruit bun, really, and you'd cut off slices and spread it with butter. I think it had crystallised sugar on it, if I remember, unless I'm mixing it up with Bath buns. The west country is not a good place to go if you're worried about your waistline, with all that clotted cream and Devon butter. Not to mention Cornish ice cream.

Cornish ice cream!  I will look that up; I thought I had the regional sweets of your small island down pat from old books.  Any visit to your shores would need stretchy pants just to make sure I had them all.  I used to order Eccles cakes until I got better with puff pastry.

I watched a guy make lardy cake on one of your baking shows and it looked wonderful.  A yeast dough, rolled flat and spread with lard and sugar, rolled up again and baked until the leakings harden and crunch.  If I could only find some good lard i'd try to make it.

pate

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 13, 2016, 06:39:58 AM

No-one makes ice craeme with Corn, suh!  Not heyah!  I say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RjawJ8LImM

Yew Anglicks an yer yokes...

trostol

so i am looking to make a caramel sauce/syrup to use in coffee..what ever and i have those lil kraft squares..what do i do?

chefist

Quote from: trostol on June 21, 2016, 07:33:23 PM
so i am looking to make a caramel sauce/syrup to use in coffee..what ever and i have those lil kraft squares..what do i do?

Cool...melt in microwave...add sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract to make a syrup...best you ever had...

trostol

Quote from: chefist on June 21, 2016, 07:35:50 PM
Cool...melt in microwave...add sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract to make a syrup...best you ever had...

thanks...is there a substitute for the condensed milk i can use? dont think i have any lol

starrmtn001

Quote from: trostol on June 21, 2016, 07:39:01 PM
thanks...is there a substitute for the condensed milk i can use? dont think i have any lol
The falkie thread is liquidating it's inventory.  Ya might get some breast milk there, cheap. ;D

trostol

Quote from: starrmtn001 on June 21, 2016, 07:44:24 PM
The falkie thread is liquidating it's inventory.  Ya might get some breast milk there, cheap. ;D

:o

chefist

Quote from: trostol on June 21, 2016, 07:39:01 PM

absolutely...heavy cream and sugar...I would recommend that over SCM...

trostol

Quote from: chefist on June 21, 2016, 08:48:37 PM
absolutely...heavy cream and sugar...I would recommend that over SCM...

thanks much

albrecht

A cross thread from the "100 Years Ago" and speculation what a bulls head breakfast mentioned in an old newspaper might be. Headcheese maybe spread on bread or biscuits or more like barbacoa. Here is a recipe for that good stuff (and good for hangovers) though made with pork, so I a bit suspicious. Partial to the cow head style.
http://www.banderasnews.com/0506/rr-barbacoa.htm
Here is recipe for headcheese for you old-timers out there. I can eat most things but never got into it.
https://youtu.be/nByH6yPWYj8