• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Cooking With Chefist!

Started by chefist, July 01, 2015, 01:49:35 PM

chefist

Love this guy...old school East coast guy...it's where I was taught to cook...heck, even Roswells and I might have something in common...who knows...

Jojo

Do you ever have a high starch breakfast and wish you could balance the meal (for health), but don't want to add more evil?

Morning "Toast" Balancer:
1c Decaf or coffee
1/8c Pumpkin puree (from can)
1/2tsp Nut butter
Cinnamon to taste
Optional:  Stevia (But the nut butter usually contributes sweetener, too)
Side:  Water with a squeeze of lemon

Directions:  Blend, heat and serve.

The fine print:  The protein, pumpkin fiber & cinnamon and side of lemon water will slow down your digestion & blood sugar spike.

The protein probably will get digested last, so it's not the most efficient use of protein, that's the reason to just use a little.  Technically, pumpkin does add more starch to the meal, but unless you're willing to have salad, it's probably the best under the circumstances.

K_Dubb

We get a lot because my cousin is a fisherman in Bristol Bay.  Salmon is tricky because you don't want to recook it and reheating always smells a little dicey.

Flake it, mix with cubes of cream cheese (I like about 2:1 salmon to cheese) and warm in a frying pan in a tablespoon of butter until the cheese is soft.  Pour a capful of Wight's Liquid Smoke over.  Raise the burner to med-high and crack 3 or 4 eggs in the pan and scramble the whole thing, barely stirring until the strands of egg white are just set and the yolks are still runny.  Sprinkle with dill, salt, and pepper.

It sounds ghetto with the fake smoke but it cuts the day-old fish smell and heating leaves a pretty subtle smoky aroma.  If you can't do runny eggs, I'd suggest using the fish-and-cheese mixture as filling in an omelette instead.

pate

Speaking of ghetto, I decided since I am being rained out of lawn work today and I have a surplus of Ruffles potato chips leftover from a friens birfday party that I would stop by the grocery store on the way to the hardware store and get some onions and sour cream to make some "French Onion Dip."

Ingredients:
1 very small sweet onion, thinly sliced
12 oz sour cream
1 Tblspoon clarified butter
2 tablespoons Porc Chop fond
3-4 tablespoons chopped chives
2 small cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon sugar*
1 tablespoon reduced liquid from redwine poached pears*
----
more chopped fresh chives, parsley & some tarragon

Method:  In a small pan heat butter and add onions and garlic, sweat and caramelize.  Add chives & porc fond simmer a few minutes.  *I burned it a bit at this stage and added a bit more water & the sugar & poached pear syrup, actually tastes pretty good*  Next step is to cool it (happening now), and zap it in the processor to completely liquifiy, then add the sour cream and chopped herbs.  I may add some fresh thyme to that fresh herb mix.

Will report later, and maybe take a picture of the final product to share with my fellow bellchanners...

pate

Not bad, different than any other French Onion dip I've ever had.  A little runny right out of the food processor, but I threw most of it back into the sour cream container and back into the fridge, where it will tighten up a bit.

I think I put too much fresh herbs in at the end, especially Parsley, but I did pick a lot of parsley out of the herb garden as it needed thinning out.  Threw in a bit of onion powder, black pepper and salt too.  If the parsley wasn't so strong, you could really taste the Tarragon & thyme, and maybe more Sour Cream, 12oz at this ratio of other stuff is awfully tan.  I like it anyhow.

-p

pate

I rescued a green pumpkin from tonight's freeze today.  So far I have found one recipe that seems like it might be worth a try:  "Croatian green pumpkin soup."

Before goggling I figured a Cream of Green Pumpkin Soup would be worth a try.

I don't think I am going to try to sun-ripen it indoors, I keep the house too cold for that.

Anyone have any old fambly recipes for a green pumpkin?

TIA

-p

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 06, 2019, 09:48:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG_hmFqSLsg
Personally,  I think certain immigrants just try to "pull one over on us." What is the difference between a Stromboli and a Calzone? Doner Kebap, Gyro, Sharwma, Al-Pastor- except I guess religion? So, I assume, some wouldn't have any pork in it (though maybe does and so the spit is a way of deception, mutual, by selling and consumer?) "I didn't know Allah, a bunch of weird, good tasting meat with some sauce and veggies....)

pate

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 29, 2019, 07:50:59 PM
This is for Roz:

What does one do with a Green Pumpkin?

Suh-wheat seeds inside, but suck a redemption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAFuD-S-e_E

Soup eye say!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: pate on November 07, 2019, 01:24:15 AM
What does one do with a Green Pumpkin?

Suh-wheat seeds inside, but suck a redemption.

Soup eye say!

Pumpkin bread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I95nKTVqO1w

Naut shore.

whoozit

Horse doovers at whoozit’s.

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 20, 2020, 07:47:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCdK_Yzt5XI

Did she request actual flesh from Irish or pesky Highlanders for this Gaellic steak? Geez, as Norry might say. One thing to be the world's largest drug-dealer but to take Swift litterally?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on January 20, 2020, 09:28:16 PM

Did she request actual flesh from Irish or pesky Highlanders for this Gaellic steak? Geez, as Norry might say. One thing to be the world's largest drug-dealer but to take Swift litterally?

Apparently, she prefers venison (well done, just like president Trump). I assume it’s code for commoner. ;)

K_Dubb

The addition of miso paste (made from fermented soybeans and other things that tastes like puke on its own) to chili produces such deliciously meaty results that I am prepared to repudiate every batch of chili I ever made prior to this ingredient.  The effect is similar to melting in a large quantity of aged cheddar.  It should be marketed to the American public as a non-ethnic food additive called bag-o-meaty or meat helper or something like that, and it would really take off.  Marinated in it, chicken breast is as rich as dark meat, and I am sure any of the milder cuts of pork would benefit substantially.

The available brands I've tried differ more in strength of flavor between brands than between classifications such as white or red (generally stronger) so it's worth testing a few brands to find one that is sufficiently pungent.

Yes it is soy and will make you grow breasts but the effect is negligible compared to the giant testosterone-suppressing mechanisms you guys willingly carry around with you daily in the form of excess fatty tissue.  You are all basically women anyway, so just embrace it.  Why not adopt a cat while you're at it.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 01, 2020, 02:02:26 PM
The addition of miso paste (made from fermented soybeans and other things that tastes like puke) to chili produces such deliciously meaty results that I am prepared to repudiate every batch of chili I ever made prior to this ingredient.  The effect is similar to melting in a large quantity of aged cheddar.

The available brands I've tried differ more in strength of flavor between brands than between classifications such as white or red (generally stronger) so it's worth testing a few to find one that is sufficiently pungent.

Yes it is soy and will make you grow breasts but the effect is negligible compared to the giant testosterone-suppressing mechanisms you guys willingly carry around with you daily in the form of excess fatty tissue.  You are all basically women anyway, so just embrace it.  Why not adopt a cat while you're at it.

Yes, K_Dubb, normally I would advise against the ingestion of too much soy product for men who aren’t in the transition of becoming women but in the case of miso the intestinal benefits outweigh the risk. It’s loaded with the same sort of beneficial bacteria as yogurt or sauerkraut, which is why you should take care not to heat it too long lest you lose that benefit. Maybe mix it in toward the end when you’re close to serving. I will try this the next time I make chili.

P.S. Good point about the excess body fat. ;)

K_Dubb

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 01, 2020, 02:12:01 PM
Yes, K_Dubb, normally I would advise against the ingestion of too much soy product for men who aren’t in the transition of becoming women but in the case of miso the intestinal benefits outweigh the risk. It’s loaded with the same sort of beneficial bacteria as yogurt or sauerkraut, which is why you should take care not to heat it too long lest you lose that benefit. Maybe mix it in toward the end when you’re close to serving. I will try this the next time I make chili.

P.S. Good point about the excess body fat. ;)

Yes, I should have included that.  Right at the end as the flavor can fall off with cooking, and before you adjust salt as it is usually pretty salty on its own.

whoozit

I’m attempting my first brisket tomorrow night into Saturday.

paladin1991

Quote from: whoozit on May 07, 2020, 03:46:25 PM
I’m attempting my first brisket tomorrow night into Saturday.
don't you need a rabbi for that?

whoozit

Quote from: paladin1991 on May 08, 2020, 09:34:07 PM
don't you need a rabbi for that?
No silly, it’s already been circumcised.

whoozit

18 hours later and it’s ready to rest a couple of hours.  Now to make some flour tortillas and cut up some vegetation...