• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Mars One Finalist Speaks Out

Started by pyewacket, March 18, 2015, 12:16:20 PM

pyewacket

I hadn't seen much about this project lately and came across this interesting article today.

http://gizmodo.com/mars-one-is-broke-disorganized-and-sketchy-as-hell-1691726224

cweb

Yeah... this always seemed too good(?) to be true.

Not to mention an associated article (based on MIT research) that says the Mars One colonists would end up starving.

Wonder if they factored in the human meat...

pyewacket

Quote from: cweb on March 18, 2015, 12:58:20 PM
Yeah... this always seemed too good(?) to be true.

Not to mention an associated article (based on MIT research) that says the Mars One colonists would end up starving.

Wonder if they factored in the human meat...

I'm old enough to remember the space race and our first landing on the moon. Exciting times that inspired and gave hope to a bold, new future.

I'm not a scientist, but I think it's pretty obvious that we're not ready for this yet. We can't solve the problems facing us on our own planet.

This project had the feel of a reality show rather than a serious scientific expedition.

cweb

It totally felt like a reality show. I wonder if that's why Endemol was involved until they realized it wasn't going to work.

To be honest, at first I thought the whole thing was a promo for some sort of film.

onan

Quote from: cweb on March 18, 2015, 03:28:22 PM
To be honest, at first I thought the whole thing was a promo for some sort of film.

That makes more sense. I see this as a poorly-thought-out-wouldn't-it-be-great-if project. One with litigation following every mars burial.

Well, George Noory did promote it after all.  It didn't have a chance.

cweb

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on March 19, 2015, 02:08:55 AM
Well, George Noory did promote it after all.  It didn't have a chance.
Can you blame him? Poor guy wants to go home.

So he can sit on his porch and sip lemonade with RCH while the sun sets 19.5 degrees away.

zeebo

Quote from: cweb on March 19, 2015, 06:54:26 AM
Can you blame him? Poor guy wants to go home.

So he can sit on his porch and sip lemonade with RCH while the sun sets 19.5 degrees away.

Can you imagine his show from the first Mars Colony?

"So where can people find your book?"

"I don't have a book.  There's no publishing here on Mars yet.  I've just scribbled some notes on the back of dehydrated food wrappers - they're available on my desk in Pod 8."

"So Amazon too, then?"

VegasI15

There was a Mars finalist on Howard Stern this week.  I believe it was Tuesday Mar 31.   She is a emergency room doctor.  She seemed excited about going.  However she thinks the odds that anyone will actually make the trip is quite small.  It almost seemed to me it was more for publicity than in reality planning to go.  In any case here is her website.

http://www.motherzucker.com/leila.html

Yorkshire pud

They're planning to send four people every two years..until they get 40 launched. Twenty years then...by which time at least 3/4 of the total will be already dead. Knowing that, I doubt the last few launches will actually occur. Maybe they'll get the first 12 people there, but after that? Unlikely.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 04, 2015, 09:12:32 AM
They're planning to send four people every two years..until they get 40 launched. Twenty years then...by which time at least 3/4 of the total will be already dead. Knowing that, I doubt the last few launches will actually occur. Maybe they'll get the first 12 people there, but after that? Unlikely.

Space popsicles.