• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What browser?

Started by elbee, February 21, 2015, 09:03:04 PM

elbee

Hey Gentlemen and ladies

I have recently put a new PC together and am using Firefox(fub!) and it massively sucks.

I don't know why but whenever I switch task it will crash.

Could it be because I am running on 2gb ram ( 8gb more is on the way)

Clean install of 7, FX6300 six core, r9290 GPU

Does it just plain suck? Or is it my ram issue?

Thanks

ManiacMatt

From my experience, it's not your RAM.  I can run a stream in one browser and peruse bellgab on Firefox at the same time on a computer with only 2gb.

Morgus

Get and run a full ram test, your new system sounds unstable. Dont overclock too.

elbee

I am actually running my corsair xms3 1333 ram at 1600, maybe thats the issue?

Morgus

Quote from: El Bee on February 22, 2015, 04:45:56 AM
I am actually running my corsair xms3 1333 ram at 1600, maybe thats the issue?
yep try running cpu and ram at standard timings and run a free good ram tester and cpu test program for several hours, like Prime95. if it runs for hours with no errors, then you would know you have a stable system, then you can try tweaking timings and run the test again then.

elbee

I have an asus mobo, its really nice, but its not got the timings and speed for my ram, I can either have 1800 (ish, cant remember the exact figure) or 1400 or 1100, my ram is 1333!

WTF!

Wintermute

I run FireFox exclusively on my main laptop. Win8.1 / 12gig RAM ... now and again I get some quirkiness, but not nothing much worse than with Google Chrome.

Without more information I can't tell you were to look for the issue. I can say from experience that browser crashes are generally the fault of a plug-in / add-on / HTML5 & JS app. Pick your poison... they all are additional applications that work (are supposed to work) in concert with your browser. So if an Adobe Flash plugin is hanging every time you go to ESPN.com, it will look like your browser crashes on every visit. If you look a little deeper, you will find it is the execution of the Flash plug-in causing the browser to go pop.

At work the default browser to use is Google Chrome mainly because the ERP and CRM are QA'ed against it. Personally I don't like Google constantly monitoring everything I do so I run a BS account in-browser. Just like IE, Chrome doesn't always conform to web standards that are generally accepted by the global dev community. FireFox is better in this regard, if only for the 10% of the time it matters.

I think browser choice comes down to personal politics. IE pretty much sucks for anything outside of sysadmin-ing some web UIs on network devices. Chrome is great if you want to be wholy Google-centric. FireFox is solid, but it has it's open-source quirks.

Quote from: Wintermute on February 25, 2015, 11:58:40 PM
I run FireFox exclusively on my main laptop. Win8.1 / 12gig RAM ... now and again I get some quirkiness, but not nothing much worse than with Google Chrome.

Without more information I can't tell you were to look for the issue. I can say from experience that browser crashes are generally the fault of a plug-in / add-on / HTML5 & JS app. Pick your poison... they all are additional applications that work (are supposed to work) in concert with your browser. So if an Adobe Flash plugin is hanging every time you go to ESPN.com, it will look like your browser crashes on every visit. If you look a little deeper, you will find it is the execution of the Flash plug-in causing the browser to go pop.

At work the default browser to use is Google Chrome mainly because the ERP and CRM are QA'ed against it. Personally I don't like Google constantly monitoring everything I do so I run a BS account in-browser. Just like IE, Chrome doesn't always conform to web standards that are generally accepted by the global dev community. FireFox is better in this regard, if only for the 10% of the time it matters.

I think browser choice comes down to personal politics. IE pretty much sucks for anything outside of sysadmin-ing some web UIs on network devices. Chrome is great if you want to be wholy Google-centric. FireFox is solid, but it has it's open-source quirks.
That's my experience also.
BTW, you didn't mention what version of FFx you're using. It makes a big difference.

SredniVashtar

For the last few days the pages in Chrome aren't rendering properly. I go about halfway down the page and it looks as though another page is bleeding through the one I am on, with squares of something totally different making it virtually impossible to use, and I have to reload the page. Is there an obvious answer to this other than use another browser? I tried Firefox but I find it too damn slow, and the day I use Explorer is the day I finally throw in the towel and just use a fucking abacus. If there is some easy fix (I am no techie, so no command line balls, please) then I would be grateful.

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 27, 2015, 12:48:39 PM
For the last few days the pages in Chrome aren't rendering properly. I go about halfway down the page and it looks as though another page is bleeding through the one I am on, with squares of something totally different making it virtually impossible to use, and I have to reload the page. Is there an obvious answer to this other than use another browser? I tried Firefox but I find it too damn slow, and the day I use Explorer is the day I finally throw in the towel and just use a fucking abacus. If there is some easy fix (I am no techie, so no command line balls, please) then I would be grateful.
Good man (regarding bolded text.)
Do you run a cpu monitor in the taskbar ? Also, one of the LEDs, whether your system is laptop or desktop should be labeled 'Hard disk usage' or 'File I/O'. Keep an eye on both of those when the problem pops up. There may be a script running (JavaScript causes a lot of these type problems) on your system that's causing the problem. Over the course of the last 4-5 days, I've had File I/O locking my system that I've traced down to the way some bad Javascript was running in the browser. (FFx version 40 something) This has never happened before on my SSD machine because it could always keep up. There is also a known issue with Chrome that wasn't entirely fixed. The last post on it was from 2012. -->https://productforums.google.com/forum/?_escaped_fragment_=topic/chrome/i2cbcBLe1p4#!topic/chrome/i2cbcBLe1p4 The best parts are about 3/4 the way through the article.
It's really hard to say what might be causing it without a rundown of your system specs & operating system, (RAM, OS + version, CPU + 32/64 bit  system, system make & model, plus any mods you may have performed including overclocking the RAM &/or the cpu.)
Watch for excessive cpu usage or file I/O.(Javascript, or browser memory leaks will cause this) The best thing to do is, like you said, reload the page.
If this is happening on a tablet or phone, you're going to have to search the shit out of it from a ton of different angles to find something that works. :(

SredniVashtar

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on October 28, 2015, 09:39:45 AM
Good man (regarding bolded text.)
Do you run a cpu monitor in the taskbar ? Also, one of the LEDs, whether your system is laptop or desktop should be labeled 'Hard disk usage' or 'File I/O'. Keep an eye on both of those when the problem pops up. There may be a script running (JavaScript causes a lot of these type problems) on your system that's causing the problem. Over the course of the last 4-5 days, I've had File I/O locking my system that I've traced down to the way some bad Javascript was running in the browser. (FFx version 40 something) This has never happened before on my SSD machine because it could always keep up. There is also a known issue with Chrome that wasn't entirely fixed. The last post on it was from 2012. -->https://productforums.google.com/forum/?_escaped_fragment_=topic/chrome/i2cbcBLe1p4#!topic/chrome/i2cbcBLe1p4 The best parts are about 3/4 the way through the article.
It's really hard to say what might be causing it without a rundown of your system specs & operating system, (RAM, OS + version, CPU + 32/64 bit  system, system make & model, plus any mods you may have performed including overclocking the RAM &/or the cpu.)
Watch for excessive cpu usage or file I/O.(Javascript, or browser memory leaks will cause this) The best thing to do is, like you said, reload the page.
If this is happening on a tablet or phone, you're going to have to search the shit out of it from a ton of different angles to find something that works. :(

Thanks for the help. I think I will download a CPU monitor, there seem to be all sorts of free ones around. I was just going to read through that link when I decided to have one last try and disable most of the extensions. I had so many on there (a lot I don't even remember putting on in the first place) that I thought it would be worth a try and - so far - it seems to have worked. It's strange, I never had this problem before, and it was not as if I had downloaded something and the problem happened immediately afterwards. I think we have so much clutter on these things that we forgot how messed up they can get.

BobGrau

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 27, 2015, 12:48:39 PM

I know it's the wrong thread, but this is exactly what ketamine feels like.

nbirnes

Quote from: BobGrau on October 28, 2015, 02:18:24 PM
I know it's the wrong thread, but this is exactly what ketamine feels like.

That's pretty cool. We were talking about hallucinogens in the Art Bell thread, but a browser thread is more appropriate. The browser has become our window to the zeitgeist, and I've had luck with Firefox lately on a Mac. Chrome is still choking on probably Flash, and Safari feels ... evil, somehow.

BobGrau

Quote from: nbirnes on October 28, 2015, 02:24:01 PM
That's pretty cool. We were talking about hallucinogens in the Art Bell thread, but a browser thread is more appropriate. The browser has become our window to the zeitgeist, and I've had luck with Firefox lately on a Mac. Chrome is still choking on probably Flash, and Safari feels ... evil, somehow.

Interestingly, I've always referred to K as the 'digital' hallucinogen.

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 28, 2015, 01:41:39 PM
Thanks for the help. I think I will download a CPU monitor, there seem to be all sorts of free ones around. I was just going to read through that link when I decided to have one last try and disable most of the extensions. I had so many on there (a lot I don't even remember putting on in the first place) that I thought it would be worth a try and - so far - it seems to have worked. It's strange, I never had this problem before, and it was not as if I had downloaded something and the problem happened immediately afterwards. I think we have so much clutter on these things that we forgot how messed up they can get.
A system update or chrome update (in the background) may have borked the addons too. I've had that happen before.
I run a cpu and network monitor on all my systems, windows or Linux. They're just so handy, a quick glance and you can see instantly what's happening.
Yup, a lot of addons will slow you down and also reduce security on your system. I would recommend if you don't use them regularly, ditch them.
Hope things are working better for you. ;)

jjsmooth

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on October 29, 2015, 05:15:52 AM
I run a cpu and network monitor on all my systems, windows or Linux.

Which monitors would you recommend for Windows and for Linux?

Quote from: jjsmooth on October 29, 2015, 07:49:31 AM
Which monitors would you recommend for Windows and for Linux?
Windows: You can use the built in task manager if it's enough for you. https://superuser.com/questions/666597/always-show-windows-cpu-monitor-graphic-in-taskbar
But I like process explorer. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
With windows, it's best to stay native if possible. Use the same process as the task manager to pop it into your taskbar at startup.
Also, in the menu bar, there is an option to "Hide on minimize" which will drop it into the task bar.

Linux: I deal mainly with Debian based systems. So to the upper panel I add 2 cpu graphs. These are baked right into any Ubuntu or Ubuntu derivative system.
Right click panel > "Panel" - Panel  Preferences > Items tab > + (Plus sign adds new item to the panel, click it.) > select "CPU Graph" Then I adjust the properties of the graph. The reason I run 2 is I set it up so one shows history, and the other is instantaneous.I select colors and display properties to match the desktop, and stretch the length on the one I'm using for a history graph.
I also add a launcher to the panel and drop a terminal emulator in there for easy access. (Linux command line is fun for me, windows CLI is a pain in the ass.)

Hope that helps. ;)

As a side note:
For those of you that run windows systems and are responsible for admin, you might want to check out the sysinternals suite here https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb842062
If you still run XP, there is a program in there called Junction that allows you to create SymLinks on XP. Vista and newer have this functionality. This is really handy if you have a fast SD card (nothing slower than 95 MB/s) and want to run your environmental variables on the card for a speed boost. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you need to do some research first because you can really hose your system mucking around in there. ;)
I've used it to move my Program%20Files off disk and it really speeds up a slow system. Just don't remove the card unless you do it for a security measure. It won't boot without the card and won't boot even with a linux live disc. This is one of the tightest physical security measures you can enact and the fastest way to lock down your system ( it takes all of 2 seconds to pop out the card.) Granted, it won't stop a data recovery expert, but it will stop the general public and nosy co-workers.

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on October 30, 2015, 04:51:44 AM
Windows: You can use the built in task manager if it's enough for you. https://superuser.com/questions/666597/always-show-windows-cpu-monitor-graphic-in-taskbar
But I like process explorer. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
With windows, it's best to stay native if possible. Use the same process as the task manager to pop it into your taskbar at startup.
Also, in the menu bar(of process explorer), there is an option to "Hide on minimize" which will drop it into the task bar.

Linux: I deal mainly with Debian based systems. So to the upper panel I add 2 cpu graphs. These are baked right into any Ubuntu or Ubuntu derivative system.
Right click panel > "Panel" - Panel  Preferences > Items tab > + (Plus sign adds new item to the panel, click it.) > select "CPU Graph" Then I adjust the properties of the graph. The reason I run 2 is I set it up so one shows history, and the other is instantaneous.I select colors and display properties to match the desktop, and stretch the length on the one I'm using for a history graph.
I also add a launcher to the panel and drop a terminal emulator in there for easy access. (Linux command line is fun for me, windows CLI is a pain in the ass.)

Hope that helps. ;)

analog kid

Rainmeter is good for system monitoring on Windows. The Gnometer skin has monitors for everything.

I'm pretty sure Chrome can't be trusted so much anymore, with adblocking and other privacy oriented extensions being compromised. Which leaves Firefox on Windows.

But you need at least uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger or Ghostery installed on Firefox.

Turning on Tracking Protection in Firefox can decrease loading time by 44%.

wr250

Quote from: analog kid on October 30, 2015, 06:43:02 AM
Rainmeter is good for system monitoring on Windows. The Gnometer skin has monitors for everything.

I'm pretty sure Chrome can't be trusted so much anymore, with adblocking and other privacy oriented extensions being compromised. Which leaves Firefox on Windows.

But you need at least uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger or Ghostery installed on Firefox.

theres always chromium, which is chrome with no google integration.

jjsmooth

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on October 30, 2015, 04:51:44 AM
Also, in the menu bar, there is an option to "Hide on minimize" which will drop it into the task bar.

Hope that helps. ;)

Reported for providing useful information...

Yeah, man. Thanks. I run OpenSuse and Windows 7. I will poke around and see what I can find.

Quote from: analog kid on October 30, 2015, 06:43:02 AM

Thanks for the post analog. :) I checked out your recommendations. Rain/Gnometer is is a sweet little program, and handy too.
What I really like though is uBlock origin. I don't run adBlock because ghostery and noScript have been working well for me. uBlock handles some stuff ghostery doesn't, it also has a smaller footprint than adBlock and advanced features. (Very sweet little addon that i'm now using.)
Good FFx link about security - decrease loading. For certain things, I use Pale Moon Browser Fast FFx Alternative. Here's a good FFx vs Pale Moon comparison. Pay special attention to the comments on that page as there are some informative ones dealing w/ security, speed, and potential problems. Like any browser, you'll need to test it on your system to see if it works for you. I also use K-Melon when I need serious speed and browser security is not a concern (like in a VM.) 

Quote from: jjsmooth on October 30, 2015, 10:15:36 AM
Reported for providing useful information...

Yeah, man. Thanks. I run OpenSuse and Windows 7. I will poke around and see what I can find.
;) Another distro I want to try out, but haven't had the time yet. How do you like it ? ...Quirks, advantages ?

Mastodonkey

I switched to Opera from Firefox back in like 2008, no complaints since then. Solid browser.

Quote from: Mastodonkey on November 02, 2015, 02:11:49 PM
I switched to Opera from Firefox back in like 2008, no complaints since then. Solid browser.
=================================================================================
'Allo!
With you am i yet.
Yust an note-"Opera=(The)Workz",now in-to the suckage.
Some defectors started "Vivaldi"browser.
It looks good,but has even in *ux/Gnu,apparently,the dreaded "Gurgle-Up(Yours,ie.)Dater"??
A.K.A."Gurgle Source Blob"="Fascist-in-a-Box"(Tm.)
Any-one useing "Vivaldi"on *ux/Bsd/Gnu-Step??
"B_B"

comaphobe

I also use Opera as my primary browser since about 2001-2002. It is generally very stable, occasionally there may be a compatibility issue but those are typically just a superficial problem (lack of CSS supports is the most common setback). Occasionally I will have a problem with the interface on an online game site. When I am in need of compatibility (peripherals) I go with Firefox (ie: DownloadHelper etc)..

Overall I would say that Opera has been my preferred browser for the past 2 decades. Firefox has too many bugs too often, and many other browsers have unethical components to them as well as general redundancies so the past few years, I just ignore them all and use just these 2 browsers on PC. 

I've also been the most pleased with Opera's mini browser when I was using Android, it was the least pushy browser available and had many options to restrict content types that I could not disable in other mobile browsers (content blocking etc). In my case I was able to use Opera Mini on a Samsung Galaxy and save a ton of worthless used up data than if I was to use the Firefox for Android. I recently switched to Windows Phone but the reviews for Opera Mini for that are very weak and I am still hunting for a proper browser on their marketplace which is no Google Play by any stretch of the imagination.

I also had a version of Opera for PSP with 6.39 or less that came in handy for use with the appropriate task. Either regular online usage or for viewing local files stored within PSP/COMMON (IE: txt, pdf, htm, php, swf, etc..)

I find there are too many issues with HTML5 no matter what browser you use. Pages are routinely fat and functionally inefficient, they load heavy, have over inflated cellpadding and lots of unused dead space all over the god damn screen, words and sentences routinely get cut off on the edges (especially in email inboxes and youtube descriptions which is fucking terribly annoying), among other stupid bullshit. It's fucking awful the current state of affairs with the internet. W3C are corrupt, lopsided, and a totally bullshit bunch of clowns. They want to turn the whole Web into a herky jerky chicken turkey Netflix looking interface and dumb it down so it will load on a phone from 1999 and please the latest fad and endless sea of ghoulishly-braindead cosmopolitan jackasses and TXTusexuals.

People need to keep on developing independent servers and software because there is too much corporate bullshit overstimulating IT now and it wasn't quite as bad until around 2008/2010 when everything began to go full-retard and become homogenized to the point where everything has taken on the political model where you only get the choice between option A or option B.

Compatibility is convenient, in this case since it is a browser thread, Firefox is the most productive in theory because of the ensemble of available add-ons, but the other options out there are pretty slim. Opera has never pissed me off. When I have used a Mac it had Safari and it seemed redundant outside of being an alternative to Firefox if there was a browser issue and some god damn applet wouldn't load and needed a quick fix. I never saw the benefits of using Dolphin, Boat, or Chrome. They are all intrusive and mostly fad based, or too many real time trackers. I need that stuff like I need fluoride in my orange juice, it just doesn't need to be there, so why put it in there?

Opera, simple, speedy, no bullshit. Dumb a page down as much as you want. Rearrange nav buttons. Just like the old days. Control.

Value Of Pi

My question would be, do the problems also happen with other browsers? If yes, then obviously Firefox is not your main issue. I've run Firefox almost exclusively on my PC for almost three years with no problems. 8 gigs of RAM, which is a lot more than two, however. More RAM usually helps and should never hurt.

before all my crashes and reloads and repairs~~~~ I had checked out Firefox,chrome, opera... I finally got to using Comodo Dragon and Comodo Ice Dragon Dragon is chrome based and Ice is Firefox based I also use Duck Duck for my search engine. I but Ad Block,Privacy Badger, PC Matic,HTTPS Everywhere, Ad sanitizer. I had used Ixquick and or Start Page search engines. But started having problems in 8.1 with explorer  switching itself back to default on its own.. Dragon has a decent downloader that will download anything  you choose and is fairly reliable.