• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Knapp

Started by ArtBellFan, April 27, 2008, 09:05:01 AM

EvB

Quote from: Loui Zoot on April 09, 2009, 12:17:53 AM
Art could broadcast out of the Philippines and more importantly Pahrump (73.9 miles by road from Vegas). Yet they can't scrape enough technology together in Las Vegas to get Knapp on the air for a few hours? Was Noory that one who set up the equipment?

True enough - but ART is not only utterly unique as a host - he's an uber-geek when it comes to the mechanical aspects of broadcasting - more - he uses his own equipment. 

Knapp may have the same knowledge of the technical end as Art - though I doubt it - that kind of "I know the whole deal and can handle the whole deal" is rare.   Even if he does know how - it's unlikely that the corporate folks would allow him to tinker.

I get that shit ALL THE TIME!  I started my computer -related career as an IT support geek - and worked on both hardware and software. But, the ONLY reason I get to configure my own system is that I do most of my owrk from home - own my own hardware and software  - and my attitude when I'm told "but you should have someone do that kind of work FOR you" is "fuck you if you can't take a joke"  -- What I actually SAY  however - is that I'm possesive of my equipment -and if they want it taken care of by the people they think SHOULD, then they need to provide me with equipment and software comparable to my own that isn't mine. 

I'm polite aobut it - but still manage to stop them in their tracks. BESIDES - I don't bill for the time I spend messing with my toys - so why they bitch I'll never know.  I get the impression they think that crawling onthe floor, trailing wires, and ripping and rebuilding my stuff is beneith me.  Oh well - such is life with the acadenic crowd.

I'm a blue collar type at heart - they'll just have to live with that s long as I telecommute.

Quote from: EvB on April 09, 2009, 03:05:35 AM

I'm a blue collar type at heart - they'll just have to live with that s long as I telecommute.

I HATE that term.

EvB

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on April 09, 2009, 08:13:34 PM
I HATE that term.

Good lord WHY?  What SHOULD I say?  I sit here at a desk in the corner of the same room where I sleep - yet I work for the University of Massachusetts.  I spend maybe 10% of my work time on campus or at some location where they have sent me. 

Quote from: EvB on April 09, 2009, 10:20:49 PM
Good lord WHY?  What SHOULD I say?  I sit here at a desk in the corner of the same room where I sleep - yet I work for the University of Massachusetts.  I spend maybe 10% of my work time on campus or at some location where they have sent me. 

It's the right word, I guess, but it's such an oxymoronic term that it drives me batty. 

EvB

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on April 12, 2009, 02:21:06 AM
It's the right word, I guess, but it's such an oxymoronic term that it drives me batty.

Fair point.

EvB

Could have happened to anyone - and I TRIED not to mention it - but it's been making me grin off and on all day.

Last night, Knapp referred to his upcoming interview as "Full of sound and fury, that signifies something."  Okay, nice paraphrase - BUT, he attributed it to Faulkner.  Faulkner did write a book called The Sound and the Fury - however, the lines Mr. Knapp referenced are from Shakespeare.

Life?s but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more.  It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

William Shakespeare, Macbeth, act 5, scene 5

Frys Girl

Quote from: EvB on April 27, 2009, 06:30:13 PM
Could have happened to anyone - and I TRIED not to mention it - but it's been making me grin off and on all day.

Last night, Knapp referred to his upcoming interview as "Full of sound and fury, that signifies something."  Okay, nice paraphrase - BUT, he attributed it to Faulkner.  Faulkner did write a book called The Sound and the Fury - however, the lines Mr. Knapp referenced are from Shakespeare.

Signifying nothing.

This is why I love you EvB. I thought the same when I heard it.

Centurion73

Quote from: EvB on April 27, 2009, 06:30:13 PM

Signifying nothing.

Damn, the bee's some smarts peoples up on heres  ;D.

You have to give him credit in a way though Noory just would have played the 25 minute (well it seems 25 minutes long) segment from the move Network or UFOphil.

EvB

QuoteYou have to give him credit in a way though Noory just would have played the 25 minute (well it seems 25 minutes long) segment from the move Network or UFOphil.

Oh - I give him 100% credit!  Like I said - anyone could have done it.  It just made me grin is all.

Contact him and let him know next time you catch something like that.  You never know what might happen.

EvB

The "Good George" isn't giving Robert Collins an INCH!  Great show.

11angeleyes11

Quote from: EvB on May 25, 2009, 12:30:03 AM
The "Good George" isn't giving Robert Collins an INCH!  Great show.
Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!  It was a UFO extravaganza, a great show for the holiday weekend.  You know, George Knapp is not on all of that much, usually only twice a month, but he leaves an imprint that is so deep and noteworthy.

EvB

Quote from: 11angeleyes11 on May 25, 2009, 11:45:45 AM
Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!  It was a UFO extravaganza, a great show for the holiday weekend.  You know, George Knapp is not on all of that much, usually only twice a month, but he leaves an imprint that is so deep and noteworthy.

Agreed - but this one was extra good even for Kanpp.  A keeper for sure.

Noory Quote:

5/27/09

?The Koreas are so close to each other, they join each other?

That's our Georgie! Classic.

Quote from: aliens_against_noory on May 29, 2009, 06:47:23 AM
Noory Quote:

5/27/09

?The Koreas are so close to each other, they join each other?

LOL. Geography isn't my forte, but Christ...ever heard of something called "History", George?

Knapp Fan

Agreed, that was a great show. I wish Knapp would do more.

11angeleyes11

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on May 29, 2009, 04:45:54 PM
LOL. Geography isn't my forte, but Christ...ever heard of something called "History", George?
Can't you tell?  He studied communications instead of georgraphy.  He probably believes that North America and South America are jointed too, and maybe Antartica. 

Borr

Don't forget his two years of pre-dental school! That makes him an expert on medical matters.

Now please swish and spit.

nika01

Quote from: Borr on May 29, 2009, 08:11:59 PM
Don't forget his two years of pre-dental school! That makes him an expert on medical matters.

Now please swish and spit.

Isnt that another phrase for high school

EvB

Quote from: nika01 on May 29, 2009, 09:44:12 PM
Isnt that another phrase for high school

Now now now - don't be mean to dentists - fear them - but don't be hostile.  Remember - you may be in the hands of one from time to time  ;)

Quote from: 11angeleyes11 on May 29, 2009, 07:56:22 PM
Can't you tell?  He studied communications instead of georgraphy.

I honestly can't tell that he's studied either!   

NoBama

l rarely listen to coast during the week nights. got to the point where  I get sick if I hear noory's voice.               

Frys Girl

I have a theory about Knapp. I don't think he says the truth about wanting to host Coast. I think he's an all or nothing guy. I wouldn't want to share with Noory too much either. I think he hates Noory and I believe that he just can't say "Yes, i'd like to host more, but the two douches I share the show with won't give up any time."

I mean, what can he possibly do? It's very sad because he's so talented and sexy.

11angeleyes11

Quote from: Frys Girl on June 04, 2009, 06:37:40 AM
I have a theory about Knapp. I don't think he says the truth about wanting to host Coast. I think he's an all or nothing guy. I wouldn't want to share with Noory too much either. I think he hates Noory and I believe that he just can't say "Yes, i'd like to host more, but the two douches I share the show with won't give up any time."

I mean, what can he possibly do? It's very sad because he's so talented and sexy.
George Knapp is very talented and sexy, I agree, and an excellent jounalist.  I think there could be truth to your theory.  I also think that he knows that he is very good at what he does, investigative jounalist in the television genre and he might have a hard time surrendering that unless he was the one in the primary role at Coast.  To him, and I don't want to discredit his ability because I have thoroughly praised his abilities and talent, Coast at this point is a part-time gig.

ArtBellFan

George Knapp rocks, he is the closest to Art that has ever been on Coast, intelligent , informed and knows what he is doing...would love to see him be the main host on Coast but sadly don't think he would ever give up is lucrative day job at KLAS in Vegas...
Last night show with Paul LaViolette and Col. John Alexander was great...

Frys Girl

Don't count on it. Until the economy improves, radio is going to get worse. Knapp doesn't strike me as the type who radio executives cheer about. He seems independent and stubborn (in a good way). These types of radio hosts don't do well in radioland, unless they are Rush.

Borr

I'm of the other school of thought, FrysGirl. Radio is so damn cheap to produce (relative to the other forms of mass media), it should actually get a boost from the bad economy.

Frys Girl

Quote from: Borr on June 22, 2009, 11:01:06 AM
I'm of the other school of thought, FrysGirl. Radio is so damn cheap to produce (relative to the other forms of mass media), it should actually get a boost from the bad economy.
If this is true, why are there so many cuts in radio? By cuts, I mean that radio station (here at least) are not taking risks. They are firing DJs in favor of iPod playlist broadcasting. The talk stations are always at risk of flipping for hockey/football talk here.

Borr

Well, what I'm saying is that since radio is cheaper to produce than television, then a smart person would take the chance to invest more money into a radio format to get increased dividends. As it is in reality, though, the normal dumbshits that run things just take a cheap medium and try to get it even further because they're too scared to experiment.