• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Show Prep

Started by MV/Liberace!, December 19, 2014, 10:01:21 AM

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 16, 2020, 12:55:53 PM
So, the GOF were people that had Art’s ear outside of Bellgab?

Absolutely.  To varying degrees, but yes.  I'd exclude Onan from this, though.

Lilith

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 16, 2020, 12:59:36 PM
I know. I was being generous. Remember when Art ate a “lightbulb” one night? You know you’re out of ideas when... :D

You're always SUCH a nice man!   :)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Liberace! on January 16, 2020, 12:58:32 PM
In my conversation last night, I made the point that when Art returned for MITD, I actively listened to a total of about 60 minutes of the entire run.  That remains true.  There are countless shows I've never heard and probably never will.  Because of that, I can't really assess for myself what kind of job she did as producer. 

I will say it seemed from what I saw on BellGab, she was booking many of the same guests Art had on in the 90s which is good or bad, depending on your perspective.  Personally, I think the focus should have been on completely refreshing the show and staying away from the 90s guests as much as possible.  Most of them have been completely debunked and discredited at this point anyway.

Sigh...I know you guys are right. I was just rooting for him and wanted to see him find his way back to his 90s groove when the show was in it’s prime but a lot (if not most) of it has been proven wrong. I’ve really come to believe that Art was probably a disinfo (control op) agent for the government. However, in his prime he was great at getting his audience to suspend their disbelief for a few hours and at least consider alternative ideas with an open mind.

K_Dubb

Humor is one of those things that doesn't bear close scrutiny but let me give it a shot:  of course he was joking.  But it was one of those "true words spoken in jest" kind of jokes that at least shows he was thinking about it.  If was a shared plot, it wouldn't have been funny or even said at all.

Her reply, though, which I would have thought at this stage would be at least mock horror at the prospect, is the most telling thing.  By not scoffing, she is testing Jaz's reaction to the idea which is at least in its nascent stages in her mind.

The exchange would never have taken place had Jaz, at least, been privy at this point.

Lilith

Quote from: Liberace! on January 16, 2020, 01:00:15 PM
It's a secret of the universe to which we'll probably never have an answer, Brig.

Never give up hope!  Only time will tell.   

#LongLiveBellgab!

aldousburbank

Quote from: DynamoHum on January 16, 2020, 12:57:45 PM
It appears to me that Art always loved the planning and expectation of a show - not the actual reality of the show and the daily grind of it. The enthusiasm and attention paid to Art by BG and by Heather would have appealed to his egotist nature and would have made a mark. I’m sure her knowledge of his shows and the paranormal in general would have been a good lure for Art when looking at her as a possible replacement.

Her enthusiasm for all things Art Bell was definitely a major factor in having HW produce, then host the show. She was clearly enamored of the classic guests and the privilege of re-booking or even talking to them, which is understandable what with her being such a fan. But ultimately this predisposed the show to following the same groove, like attempting to recreate the experience of listening to Dark Side Of The Moon the first time through headphones stoned, your initial visit to an exotic destination, or a first heart pounding kiss. You can try to re-live these experiences but the only way to exceed them is not to try to duplicate them.

K_Dubb

And lest anyone think the Gang of Four entertained any illusions about their ability to manipulate bellgab I'd point out MV's observation that what was happening on the forum was treated on the Gabcast with distaste and that the show was no longer about the forum.  They had already disengaged, months before.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: DynamoHum on January 16, 2020, 12:57:45 PM
...she thought she was well in and all was settled.

I've always appreciated the British way of summing up a situation.

To be a critical thinker in this it would be wrong to not bring up the search that was done for another host to take over

We were told a search took place, but who knows if that's true?

...and also how tainted the relationship Wade had with Keith from the outset (again from reading that thread).
It wasn't necessary to read a thread on BellGab to gather that the relationship between the two was strained, though.  Remember the multi paragraph screed Keith Rowland posted ON THE WEBSITE OF HEATHER'S SHOW in which he apologetically revealed they'd searched for another host and wanted Howard Hughes but couldn't get him?  What a cunt.  It was a passive aggressive way of Keith saying, "Yeah, I'm just as annoyed as you having to suffer through this manipulative, neophytic interloping poser, but we tried to get someone else and failed.  Just know that you aren't alone in your frustrations."

And relating to Rowland's message on Art/Heather's site:  In a cringe inducing and almost ceremonial moment on the GabCast, Rowland called in and he and I agreed to stop slinging mud at one another.  My opinion of Rowland hadn't changed, but I agreed to this because these peripheral squabbles weren't helping Art get back on the air.  Specifically, Rowland had said something nasty about me on Twitter, Art chided him for it, Rowland told Art he was quitting, and Art publicly announced he was now uncertain as to his ability to get things off the ground.  So yeah, MITD almost didn't happen because of a Tweet Rowland sent about me on Twitter.  Jesus Fucking Christ in a car seat.  I didn't want any more of that, particularly if it involved me in any way.  Fast forward months later, Rowland posts that message on the site, I do a GabCast where I talk in depth of what a cunt Rowland is for undermining Heather in that way, and he contacts me saying he thought we'd buried the hatchet and he's perplexed that I'd say anything negative about him.  I responded that I always thought he was a cunt and I only made nice because it wasn't helping Art.  Just thought you'd enjoy that little bit of history, brought to you by BellGab.com, the internet's premiere chat forum.

The ascension of Heather Wade and her eventual rapid descent is really interesting to me (as you may have gathered).

heh heh

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 16, 2020, 01:07:04 PM
I was just rooting for him and wanted to see him find his way back to his 90s groove...

I can totally understand that.  Nostalgia, and all that shit.

Lilith

Quote from: aldousburbank on January 16, 2020, 01:24:05 PM
Her enthusiasm for all things Art Bell was definitely a major factor in having HW produce, then host the show. She was clearly enamored of the classic guests and the privilege of re-booking or even talking to them, which is understandable what with her being such a fan. But ultimately this predisposed the show to following the same groove, like attempting to recreate the experience of listening to Dark Side Of The Moon the first time through headphones stoned, your initial visit to an exotic destination, or a first heart pounding kiss. You can try to re-live these experiences but the only way to exceed them is not to try to duplicate them.

Honestly, she didn't sound at ALL interested in the guests she was talking to.  She didn't even sound like she was interested in anything much.  It all sounded like it was delivered with a faked enthusiasm to me, but I totally "get" the part about listening to The Dark Side Of The Moon the first time through headphones stoned part.   :)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 16, 2020, 01:11:23 PM
Her reply, though, which I would have thought at this stage would be at least mock horror at the prospect, is the most telling thing.  By not scoffing, she is testing Jaz's reaction to the idea which is at least in its nascent stages in her mind.

Good catch.

DynamoHum

Quote from: Liberace! on January 16, 2020, 01:29:22 PM
I've always appreciated the British way of summing up a situation.

We were told a search took place, but who knows if that's true?
It wasn't necessary to read a thread on BellGab to gather that the relationship between the two was strained, though.  Remember the multi paragraph screed Keith Rowland posted ON THE WEBSITE OF HEATHER'S SHOW in which he apologetically revealed they'd searched for another host and wanted Howard Hughes but couldn't get him?  What a cunt.  It was a passive aggressive way of Keith saying, "Yeah, I'm just as annoyed as you having to suffer through this manipulative, neophytic interloping poser, but we tried to get someone else and failed.  Just know that you aren't alone in your frustrations."

And relating to Rowland's message on Art/Heather's site:  In a cringe inducing and almost ceremonial moment on the GabCast, Rowland called in and he and I agreed to stop slinging mud at one another.  My opinion of Rowland hadn't changed, but I agreed to this because these peripheral squabbles weren't helping Art get back on the air.  Specifically, Rowland had said something nasty about me on Twitter, Art chided him for it, Rowland told Art he was quitting, and Art publicly announced he was now uncertain as to his ability to get things off the ground.  So yeah, MITD almost didn't happen because of a Tweet Rowland sent about me on Twitter.  Jesus Fucking Christ in a car seat.  I didn't want any more of that, particularly if it involved me in any way.  Fast forward months later, Rowland posts that message on the site, I do a GabCast where I talk in depth of what a cunt Rowland is for undermining Heather in that way, and he contacts me saying he thought we'd buried the hatchet and he's perplexed that I'd say anything negative about him.  I responded that I always thought he was a cunt and I only made nice because it wasn't helping Art.  Just thought you'd enjoy that little bit of history, brought to you by BellGab.com, the internet's premiere chat forum.

heh heh

Oh I remember that toy throwing from pram incident well. It was a rollercoaster ride, the skirt stuff coming out just adds to it ... like a patina ;) 

DynamoHum

Quote from: Lilith on January 16, 2020, 01:32:27 PM
Honestly, she didn't sound at ALL interested in the guests she was talking to.  She didn't even sound like she was interested in anything much.  It all sounded like it was delivered with a faked enthusiasm to me, but I totally "get" the part about listening to The Dark Side Of The Moon the first time through headphones stoned part.   :)

Once she stuck the shitty voiced on it all sounded fake!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: DynamoHum on January 16, 2020, 01:47:39 PM

But a wishing machine?! It got to be like attending some cheesy psychic fare every night. At least Art didn’t descend to those depths (though he did eat that “lightbulb” which was very carny).

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 16, 2020, 01:53:28 PM
But a wishing machine?! It got to be like attending some cheesy psychic fare every night. At least Art didn’t descend to those depths.

I thought that was the peak of her tenure, but, you know, opinions...

/sarcasm

Lilith

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 16, 2020, 01:53:28 PM
But a wishing machine?! It got to be like attending some cheesy psychic fare every night. At least Art didn’t descend to those depths (though he did eat that “lightbulb” which was very carny).

Hey,  just a minute there,  I made my own wishing machine...

Lilith

Quote from: DynamoHum on January 16, 2020, 01:47:39 PM

Bloody AWFUL I say!

K_Dubb

I think the Gang of Four left because the bad joke became real, they realized their responsibility in inflating Heather's formidable ego to the point she thought it a possibility (i. e. she took their flirtatious worship seriously), and it became clear they were the only ones huffing up her lady-parts -- she certainly wasn't getting that on the forum.  So they looked like fools who'd been taken for a ride.

They weren't, however:  everything they did, they did for Art.  They would not have done it for Heather, and it is the betrayal of this truth that broke Heather's relationship with bellgab and sent the Gang of Four scurrying for cover.  For all her supposed worldliness Heather really acted the ingenue here, believing the things people told her who were only [retracted].

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Lilith on January 16, 2020, 01:58:33 PM
Hey,  just a minute there,  I made my own wishing machine...

Here's mine:

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 16, 2020, 02:03:15 PM
They would not have done it for Heather...

I wouldn't go so far as to say that.  I'm told that during this period, private correspondence left one of them convinced he and Heather were going to become something more.  He was a true soldier for her from this point on, and she took advantage of this to maximum effect.  It was almost akin to a stripper leading a patron to believe she's actually interested in him beyond the money in his wallet.  I got a hearty gut laugh listening to that story.

Lilith

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 16, 2020, 02:03:15 PM
I think the Gang of Four left because the bad joke became real, they realized their responsibility in inflating Heather's formidable ego to the point she thought it a possibility (i. e. she took their flirtatious worship seriously), and it became clear they were the only ones huffing up her lady-parts -- she certainly wasn't getting that on the forum.  So they looked like fools who'd been taken for a ride.

They weren't, however:  everything they did, they did for Art.  They would not have done it for Heather, and it is the betrayal of this truth that broke Heather's relationship with bellgab and sent the Gang of Four scurrying for cover.  For all her supposed worldliness Heather really acted the ingenue here, believing the things people told her who were only [retracted].

That would explain why everyone had to be made to believe that Art was making another comeback IF they would have never done it for Heather, but I believe they WERE doing it for Heather, and KNEW it was for Heather all along.

#ICouldBeWrong

Corona Kitty

no surprises ..... marks will be marks.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Lilith on January 16, 2020, 02:11:38 PM
...but I believe they WERE doing it for Heather, and KNEW it was for Heather all along.

I suppose it could be said that in doing it for Heather, they were doing it for Art since these were his wishes.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Liberace! on January 16, 2020, 02:11:23 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say that.  I'm told that during this period, private correspondence left one of them convinced he and Heather were going to become something more.  He was a true soldier for her from this point on, and she took advantage of this to maximum effect.  It was almost akin to a stripper leading a patron to believe she's actually interested in him beyond the money in his wallet.  I got a hearty gut laugh listening to that story.

Please please say bdubb

K_Dubb

Quote from: Lilith on January 16, 2020, 02:11:38 PM
That would explain why everyone had to be made to believe that Art was making another comeback IF they would have never done it for Heather, but I believe they WERE doing it for Heather, and KNEW it was for Heather all along.

#ICouldBeWrong

It isn't that I don't believe your take; it's just that it's so dark and appallingly literal that the thinking mind rebels.

K_Dubb

So when the Plot succeeded and Heather took over, you honestly see them sitting back with a satisfied sigh, high-fives all around?  Or was it more of an oops?

DynamoHum

Quote from: Liberace! on January 16, 2020, 02:11:23 PM

I think this is how she was getting 4 figure sums from certain listeners on a regular basis for a good long time, and possibly still is. Absolutely sure this siren like ability of hers is what dragged Art in to an extent as well.

Not sure if it explains the Omaha steaks.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 16, 2020, 02:19:09 PM
It isn't that I don't believe your take; it's just that it's so dark and appallingly literal that the thinking mind rebels.

Top right! Bellgab: The Thinking Mind Rebels 8)

Lilith

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 16, 2020, 02:19:09 PM

Lovely, isn't it?   :)