• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What a crazy year for baseball...

Started by pate, October 01, 2014, 04:09:40 PM

In 1908 the Noori tribe of what is now eastern Lebanon acquired a hand cranked radio

Zetaspeak

Quote from: akwilly on November 02, 2016, 11:18:15 PM
Go Raiders lol

All the Charlie Brown's of sports are finally able to make out with that red headed girl he's crushing on all the time

Saying that the Cleveland Browns will always bring the universe to its predictable outcome

albrecht

Quote from: Zetaspeak on November 02, 2016, 11:17:02 PM
Cavs winning nba title. Cubs the world series. Unknown Leicester city winning English soccer title. Strange strange year.
Not unknown but certainly not suspected. I wonder, hey, I will play a Jackstar here, "the fix is in?" Over there you can gamble legally and they have caught people from timing etc bet. Here most of it is illegal so harder to catch. I don't think this was fixed though. I throw it out there because BG. So kidding.
Cubbies!!! An amazing game!

zeebo

Quote from: trostol on November 02, 2016, 11:09:38 PM
really need to think about shortening the season too

Yes don't they play like 160 games or something in regular season?  Then they extended the playoffs from 3/5 to 4/7 awhile back if I remember.  Who could possibly have time to watch even half of a season?

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 02, 2016, 12:10:05 AM
If the Cubs don't win I will not except the results and I will continue to pursue my batter suppression lawsuit.

If they win, I might have to get my first tattoo.

I dare you to make it your tramp stamp.  :D

trostol

if you're on twitter..Chicagoland Scanner is the thing to watch right now lol

mikuthing01

Quote from: trostol on November 02, 2016, 11:35:30 PM
DINDUS FALLING OFF LAMP POSTS
HELICOPTER DOWN
THREE DEAD
ONE SHOT
TRANSGENDER PROSTITUTES

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/763/web

GravitySucks

Quote from: trostol on November 02, 2016, 11:35:30 PM

Chicago may burn down tonight @CFGScanner

Quote from: zeebo on November 02, 2016, 11:27:29 PM
Yes don't they play like 160 games or something in regular season?  Then they extended the playoffs from 3/5 to 4/7 awhile back if I remember.  Who could possibly have time to watch even half of a season?

Time to keep the whole World series in October.  It is the October Classic after all. Shorten the season back to 154.

trostol

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 03, 2016, 12:39:45 AM
Time to keep the whole World series in October.  It is the October Classic after all. Shorten the season back to 154.

always thought 150 would be good..takes away basically 4 series for each team, which if i am not mistaken is one series against each divisional opponent a year

GravitySucks

Never thought I would get a chance to say this:

It has been 0 years since the Cubs have won a World Series

GravitySucks

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 03, 2016, 12:39:45 AM

It's been 162 for over 50 years. It is much better now that they fly on chartered planes instead of having to take trains and buses.

I am fine with 162. If they cut out 8 or 12 games, ticket prices would go up. They are too high as it is.

I would rather see them cut the post-season down. Maybe best of 3, best of 5, then best of 7. 

It is well past time for Pete Rose to be in the Hall of Fame.  He's done his time for the gambling.  I frankly didn't care if he gambled so long as he didn't bet against his team, the Reds, which, as far as I know,he never did.

onan

Congrats to the Cubs.

And a long awaited cheer for two of my cousins that tearfully commented in a joke that the their Cubbies never win anything; that statement was in 1968. Finally they can cheer.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 03, 2016, 01:04:20 AM
It's been 162 for over 50 years. It is much better now that they fly on chartered planes instead of having to take trains and buses.

I am fine with 162. If they cut out 8 or 12 games, ticket prices would go up. They are too high as it is.

I would rather see them cut the post-season down. Maybe best of 3, best of 5, then best of 7.
I agree. 162 keeps prices down and with modern transport travel not that much of an issue (though for Seattle it sucked this year.) Realign and bring the Stros back to the NL. Playoffs last a long time but still I like multiple games in a series at least for the pennants and WS.
Sure I doubt many people, except maybe those retired and real obsessed fans can watch all of a team's 162 game but having so many means you are able to catch a lot of them. It also is much of the beauty of the sport that you need to grind it out through such a long season.

Quote from: trostol on November 03, 2016, 12:43:42 AM
always thought 150 would be good..takes away basically 4 series for each team, which if i am not mistaken is one series against each divisional opponent a year

Take away the interleague play.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on November 03, 2016, 03:43:40 PM
Take away the interleague play.

I would support that. It takes away a few rivalries in cities like Chicago and New York, and it eliminates a little bit of batting experience for the AL pitchers, but I think it would be for the best.

I don't like the DH.

Fun fact. There are 108 stitches on an MLB baseball. It had to be this year.

trostol

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 03, 2016, 03:49:49 PM
I would support that. It takes away a few rivalries in cities like Chicago and New York, and it eliminates a little bit of batting experience for the AL pitchers, but I think it would be for the best.

I don't like the DH.

interesting ..cause it seems like there is a yearly push to put the DH in both leagues..i have also seen suggestions of limiting games to 7 innings which is equally...insane lol

maybe to keep the WS solely in Oct..maybe have more scheduled day-night double headers

albrecht

Quote from: trostol on November 03, 2016, 05:22:05 PM
interesting ..cause it seems like there is a yearly push to put the DH in both leagues..i have also seen suggestions of limiting games to 7 innings which is equally...insane lol

maybe to keep the WS solely in Oct..maybe have more scheduled day-night double headers
I've heard that Rob Manfred was looking at "many ideas." I don't like major changes, especially in sport. I like your idea of keeping in Oct by having more double-headers. If we have to have the DH keep it only in the AL. Somehow move Houston back to the NL.

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 03, 2016, 03:49:49 PM

I don't like the DH.

I don't like the DH either.  Leaving the pitcher in to hit makes for a more interesting game most of the time.  I'm a National League guy all the way.  I wish they'd get rid of the DH in the AL.

Quote from: akwilly on November 04, 2016, 12:46:04 AM
https://youtu.be/nApTGkLd2hs
Pretty cool

That made me cry and I never even lived in Chicago though my Dad grew up there.  Thanks for posting this, akwilly.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 04, 2016, 12:50:58 AM
I don't like the DH either.  Leaving the pitcher in to hit makes for a more interesting game most of the time.  I'm a National League guy all the way.  I wish they'd get rid of the DH in the AL.

I couldn't agree more. The only things worse than the DH were the hideous, all artificial turf ballparks (except for the weird little dirt squares around the bases) that made an absolute travesty of the game for way too many years. I'm very glad those dark days are over.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on November 04, 2016, 01:19:19 AM
I couldn't agree more. The only things worse than the DH were the hideous, all artificial turf ballparks (except for the weird little dirt squares around the bases) that made an absolute travesty of the game for way too many years. I'm very glad those dark days are over.

Astroturf.  Uggh.  Can't say I miss it.