• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What a crazy year for baseball...

Started by pate, October 01, 2014, 04:09:40 PM

Max Scherzer struck out 20 guys tonight.   I did not start him on my fantasy team because I had been using up
innings too fast and he had been off to a bit of slow start this year.

What a stupid I am!   :'(

albrecht

Rangers/BlueJays game is getting interesting. Odor landed a nice punch on Bautista after he slid illegally trying to break up the double-play. Then bench clearing pushing and yelling. Ejections. Then Jay's threw to hit Prince Fielder, ejection. Fun game. Almost getting hockey-like.

Quote from: albrecht on May 15, 2016, 04:24:27 PM
Rangers/BlueJays game is getting interesting. Odor landed a nice punch on Bautista after he slid illegally trying to break up the double-play. Then bench clearing pushing and yelling. Ejections. Then Jay's threw to hit Prince Fielder, ejection. Fun game. Almost getting hockey-like.

Guess Prince has slimmed down some.   In the old days would be hard to miss tubby

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 15, 2016, 04:53:30 PM
Guess Prince has slimmed down some.   In the old days would be hard to miss tubby
I don't think moving to Texas has helped with his weight. I'm sure the BBQ and Tex-Mex will ensure that he keeps his athletic body-size. Odor's punch was solid. Bautista looked scared trying to get away. But I imagine Odor will get suspended a few days. And another nice come-back win, even if at time it was more like a hockey game.

Quote from: albrecht on May 15, 2016, 04:57:11 PM
.. But I imagine Odor will get suspended a few days...

That's such BS.  Taking out a guy at second is ok(I don't bother to watch anymore but apparently they now have a stupid unworkable rule about that), but punching the guy or knocking down the next batter or their star player isn't.  I'm so tired of all the pc garbage, let them play.

Quote from: albrecht on May 15, 2016, 04:57:11 PM
I don't think moving to Texas has helped with his weight. I'm sure the BBQ and Tex-Mex will ensure that he keeps his athletic body-size. Odor's punch was solid. Bautista looked scared trying to get away. But I imagine Odor will get suspended a few days. And another nice come-back win, even if at time it was more like a hockey game.

When he was with the Tigers the joke was "Q: How can someone be a vegetarian and be so obese?"   "A: Little Caesar's cheese pizza and *lots*
of it"

To date it is looking like Detroit came out on top with that deal.

3OctaveFart

The Rangers brought in an ex-con that was called up last week (look up Matt Bush's sordid history sometime) just to drill Bautista, remove him like the pussies they are, and then equate a bat flip with physical assault.

Timmy Lincecum has reportedly signed with the Angels.   

At least it wasn't with the Dodgers; but still, a sad day for many Giants' fans.

On top of all this, Odor was trying to throw the baseball into Bautista's face-he didn't care about throwing to first base to get the runner.
Some good Odor slides.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on May 16, 2016, 06:44:40 PM
On top of all this, Odor was trying to throw the baseball into Bautista's face...

Yes, that is the correct reaction to a runner coming in high, especially if he has a habit of it.  Exactly, precisely, correct.

Get the fuck down, and slide to the base - anything else, and you get what you get.  Easy peasy.

albrecht

8 games suspension for Odor's punch (he is appealing.) Elvis one game. Bautista one game. Gibbons for three games.

all of the giants are on the dl, and even the call ups are on the dl. There was a guy playing second base yesterday I've never heard of before

Ruben Tejada is playing for the Giants. Really.

At this pace, my boy Ishikawa will see action this year, his third stint with the g-men!

GravitySucks

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on July 18, 2016, 03:29:33 PM
Correa should appeal. The judge denied him the ability to subpoena certain evidence in his defense.

Kind of hard to appeal when you plead guilty.

Apparently the Baseball Commissioner is alarmed at the lack of action and is considering some changes to the basic structure of the game.  Altering the strike zone, limiting the number of pitching changes in a game, curtailing defensive shifts, installing 20-second time clocks for pitchers.

I agree the modern game takes too long.  It also has too much offense, which devalues any given pitch, hit, base advancement, run, etc (which is already the opposite of what those who run the game think).

Telling managers and players they can only have so many pitching changes, where they must play on the field, when to pitch a ball regardless of situation... the Commissioner's excuse for this meddling is 'the game hasn't changed in 100 years'.

Really?  The suits who run the game think there have been no changes in 100 years? 

Well, let's see - the league used to play only day games, now it's mostly night games.   The players used to travel by train, now they mostly fly.  St Louis used to be the team furthest west.  They've gone from a 154 game schedule and no playoffs to 162 games and multiple rounds of playoffs before the World Series.  Double headers used to be common, now they're rare.  Expansion.  Free agency.  None of this had any effect on the way the game is played?

Starters often used to play the entire game, now they come out after 100 pitches, sometimes even if they have a no hitter going.  We have closers, set-up men, pitchers who only come in to get a single batter out.  The mound has been lowered, the strike zone tampered with, umpires who each call their own strike zone anyway, sometimes from pitch to pitch. 

The abomination that is the DH.

And this jackass thinks the game hasn't changed in 100 years, but now needs a pitch clock?

How about this:  once in, batters don't get to step out of the batters box.  Pitchers go back to throwing a pitch in a reasonable amount of time when they get the ball back from the catcher, or the ump calls a ball - umpire discretion on whether they're just wasting time or the situation calls for taking time to decide what to throw.  Go back to 154 game schedule, expand the roster to 27, reduce the number of playoff rounds, disband a few teams, reduce the commercial time between innings, get rid of free agency.  And fucking fire shitty umps, their union be damned.

But only if they truly want to fix the game.

pate

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 21, 2016, 10:35:35 PM

But only if they truly want to fix the game.

Great point!

\halfkidding....

pate

Well, two years in a row for my team is pretty good.  I have sat through plenty of bad seasons, enough that not paying attention to them too closely shouldn't earn me the "fair-weather fan" moniker. 

I was the tenth man for a long time, this year it's on them.  Same basic team, different injuries, they need to want it and step up to the plate.  I do hope they (the players) aren't looking at the Royals history of being a Major-league farm team and have the dollar signs in their eyes.

Hmm, I look back at my Thread opening enthusiasm and find solace in music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBmCJEehYtU

I wonder if that musical group covers Green Day's "Wake Me Up When September Ends"?

Go Royals, but it's on you guys this year.

trostol

Cubs-Indians World series..tell tale sign of the comping Apocalypse

Quote from: trostol on October 22, 2016, 10:01:03 PM
Cubs-Indians World series..tell tale sign of the comping Apocalypse

As a lifelong Cubs fan who is rapidly running out of next years, an Apocalypse would be a small price to pay for a world championship. No offense to the billions of innocent victims (including all my cherished BG friends) who will have to die so that I can selfishly fulfill one of my fondest dreams and cross another big item off my Bucket List. I sincerely regret that, and wish it could have been accomplished in a way that didn't rip an unpatchable hole in the flimsy fabric of civilization.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on October 22, 2016, 11:22:44 PM
As a lifelong Cubs fan who is rapidly running out of next years, an Apocalypse would be a small price to pay for a world championship. No offense to the billions of innocent victims (including all my cherished BG friends) who will have to die so that I can selfishly fulfill one of my fondest dreams and cross another big item off my Bucket List. I sincerely regret that, and wish it could have been accomplished in a way that didn't rip an unpatchable hole in the flimsy fabric of civilization.

I am with you RGG. Been a long time. As a Bleacher Bum in the disaster of 69, I have been waiting for a long time.

Some of my earliest memories are watching Ernie playing SS and Kenny Hubbs (before his tragic death) playing second. Two Cubs that each earned Rookie of the year. Every team I have played in, I have worn #10 and played third base. I have an autographed Ernie Banks baseball and rookie card.

I am on cloud 9. Very special year.

I hope Chapman enjoys the environment and signs up for next year.

But we have four more wins to get.

trostol

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on October 22, 2016, 11:22:44 PM

then enjoy it while you can and goodbye world lol

TigerLily

Consider me the sacrificial virgin for a Cubs World Series

pate

If only the CUBBIES could have done it last year!

GO CUBS!

Quote from: TigerLily on October 23, 2016, 12:57:04 AM
Consider me the sacrificial virgin for a Cubs World Series

Your "sacrifice" is greatly appreciated!  :D

Cheers, TL!

I haven't gone back and checked, but it seems like most teams in any sport down 3-2 in a playoff series win the game 6 to pull even.  Much more often than a team wins a series 4 games to 2.

It would be interesting to find out how often a team winning a series 4-2 goes on to win the championship.  My guess is most of the time.  Winning Game 6 tonight rather than having a slight letdown shows killer instinct, and against the best pitcher in baseball.  I like their chances against a hot Cleveland club.