• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What a crazy year for baseball...

Started by pate, October 01, 2014, 04:09:40 PM

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 30, 2015, 10:14:21 AM
    The Dodgers looked pathetic last night celebrating their division title like it was the WS. Makes their inevitable exit within the next two weeks all the more enjoyable.

Aaand good riddance

Now the real baseball begins. I was hoping there would be a post game interview with Greinke.

The Dodgers are gone and now is the appropriate time to share this Chase Utley story:

"2. Chase Utley â€" You know Utley, so I’m going to relay a story. A friend of mine is a career minor leaguer. He’s had a few cups of coffee in the majors, but to follow that analogy to its conclusion, he’s still drowsy. A couple of years back, he got the September call-up for the Phillies. Being a starter in the minors, he was thrust into the coveted mop-up role. So it’s a 9-1 game, or some equally lopsided score, and my friend gets the call. To everyone in the stadium, it meant a pee break. To him, he got to jog out to a major league mound, something he dreamt about since he was a boy. The appearance was nothing more than a blip on some discarded box score.
For him, it was two innings struggling to get hitters out. It was his day, yet it just wasn’t. Back in the locker room afterwards, players still went up and congratulated him on getting to the show. But not Utley. Nope. Utley bought him two prostitutes. They were delivered on one condition, Utley wanted to bang them first."

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 15, 2015, 09:45:54 PM

Aaand good riddance

Took it to 5 games. Good job, good effort. I'll miss seeing Larry King and Mary Hart behind home plate.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on October 15, 2015, 09:56:07 PM
Now the real baseball begins. I was hoping there would be a post game interview with Greinke.

The Dodgers are gone and now is the appropriate time to share this Chase Utley story:

"2. Chase Utley â€" You know Utley, so I’m going to relay a story. A friend of mine is a career minor leaguer. He’s had a few cups of coffee in the majors, but to follow that analogy to its conclusion, he’s still drowsy. A couple of years back, he got the September call-up for the Phillies. Being a starter in the minors, he was thrust into the coveted mop-up role. So it’s a 9-1 game, or some equally lopsided score, and my friend gets the call. To everyone in the stadium, it meant a pee break. To him, he got to jog out to a major league mound, something he dreamt about since he was a boy. The appearance was nothing more than a blip on some discarded box score.
For him, it was two innings struggling to get hitters out. It was his day, yet it just wasn’t. Back in the locker room afterwards, players still went up and congratulated him on getting to the show. But not Utley. Nope. Utley bought him two prostitutes. They were delivered on one condition, Utley wanted to bang them first."

Pat Burrell has to be part of that story somewhere. I wouldn't want the sloppy seconds of Utley. His hair indicates a likely sex fiend who would leave a surprise for the next batter.

Zetaspeak

This year playoffs is a playoff we've never seen before. 4 franchises known for losing for most of the last couple of decades are the only teams standing in the final four. It certainly gives MLB some fresh faces (which I am glad to see)

Eddie Coyle

Angels have fired their GM, hitting and pitching coaches...but again, the 300 pound asshole Mike Scioscia keeps his job. ONE WS appearance in 16 years. And it was when the Beltway Snipers were active.

trostol

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on October 15, 2015, 09:56:07 PM

as a Phillies fan..i was never enamored with Utley way most of this city was/is...same with Cole Hamels...sure Chase played hard but he always to me..came off as this smug i am better then you vibe

AppealPlay

How are the Cubs going to blame Steve Bartman?

pate

Game 1 of World Series (2015).

Who is winning pitcher?

"Weakly Sun" wants to know...

Eddie Coyle

Oh look! It's Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock!!!

Royals, please win this in New York.

zeebo

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 30, 2015, 09:46:37 PM
   Oh look! It's Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock!!!

Royals, please win this in New York.

Seeing tonite's sad-faced, chicken-costumed fan did whet my appetite for more disappointment.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: zeebo on November 01, 2015, 12:17:49 AM
Seeing tonite's sad-faced, chicken-costumed fan did whet my appetite for more disappointment.

I missed that live, but was shown it earlier today. I'd put odds on that chicken having a shorter life than turkeys this month.

AppealPlay

Whenver the Mets lose, I'm happy.  When the Mets lose the World Series I'm freaking ecstatic. :D

3OctaveFart

Royals fans are becoming a little precious- not unlike the navel-gazers on the other side of the state.

Eddie Coyle

Mike Rizzo about to confirm, yet again, that he's the worst GM in baseball. What an idiot.

ShayP

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 02, 2015, 10:24:09 PM
   Mike Rizzo about to confirm, yet again, that he's the worst GM in baseball. What an idiot.

I thought Bud Black was announced 2 days ago!  Now Dusty Baker has the job?  I'm confused.
Well....if true, a pity move on the Nationals.

pate

Many apologies for this:

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb-news/4659944-world-series-2015-frank-thomas-mets-royals

"The Mets have nothing to hold their head down for, except they didn't play that well and gave away this World Series" - Frank Thomas 2015.

I have nothing to say, other than:

Well played, sir.  Well played...

Quote from: pate on November 03, 2015, 03:52:42 AM
Many apologies for this:

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb-news/4659944-world-series-2015-frank-thomas-mets-royals

"The Mets have nothing to hold their head down for, except they didn't play that well and gave away this World Series" - Frank Thomas 2015.

I have nothing to say, other than:

Well played, sir.  Well played...

Congrats Pate on the WS win.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ShayP on November 03, 2015, 12:28:19 AM
I thought Bud Black was announced 2 days ago!  Now Dusty Baker has the job?  I'm confused.
Well....if true, a pity move on the Nationals.

Two year offers to Black and Baker. They're lucky one sucker took it. I've always considered Dusty like Davey Johnson, a player's manager who generally wins...in the regular season. Maybe this is Rizzo trying to return to what they had before.

But, when it comes down to it, the rumors are strong about Strasburg and Harper being disillusioned with the franchise. Clock's ticking.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 04, 2015, 02:27:19 PM
      Two year offers to Black and Baker. They're lucky one sucker took it...

I heard a brief report on the local sports station saying they'd reached an agreement with Bud Black but that he wanted more than a one year deal.  I can sort of understand a player insisting a long term deal due to possible injury, but a manager?  Sure, take what you can get, but turning down a job because multiple years aren't guaranteed?

If Buddy had done a good job, he'd be in line for a raise.  If he'd done a bad job and the team wanted to get rid of him, why should they be stuck paying him anyway? 

Fuck the greedy players, fuck the greedy owners.  And now, fuck the greedy head coaches/managers/GMs.  I have to say, the amounts of money being fought over and paid out made my decision to stop going to games and cut waaay back on watching them very easy - I mostly follow the local teams in the newspaper - and even at that it's more for the soap opera aspects than giving a crap about wins and losses

pate

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on November 03, 2015, 04:28:05 AM
Congrats Pate on the WS win.

Honestly that wasn't my fault...

I'm happy too, though.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 04, 2015, 02:27:19 PM
      Two year offers to Black and Baker. They're lucky one sucker took it. I've always considered Dusty like Davey Johnson, a player's manager who generally wins...in the regular season. Maybe this is Rizzo trying to return to what they had before.

But, when it comes down to it, the rumors are strong about Strasburg and Harper being disillusioned with the franchise. Clock's ticking.

I would have hired Ron Gardenhire.

Eddie Coyle

David Ortiz's farewell tour in 2016 will only be insufferable and nauseating.

I'm moving to Syria.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 17, 2015, 09:38:52 PM
  David Ortiz's farewell tour in 2016 will only be insufferable and nauseating...

The Panda's will be shorter, and worse

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 17, 2015, 09:56:23 PM
The Panda's will be shorter, and worse

Ironically, there's talk that Ortiz's pending retirement could lead to Chubby Panda being DH in 2017. BTW, his season ended so badly in Boston any talk of 2017 seems overoptimistic. Management benched him in September as he GAINED pounds during our hot summer. What a slug.

I've never understood why the catcher gets to block the plate, and why base runners are allowed to slide into the guy at second trying to turn the double play no matter how far off the bag he is. 

The second baseman (or SS) can be all the way to the OF grass, and here comes the runner either sliding with his spikes up, or about to throw a football block on him.  In the old days, if that happened the second baseman would throw the ball and intentionally hit the runner right in the face with it, runners would know to get down and not pull that shit.  Apparently that's now frowned on but spiking the fielder or racking him up is still ok.

I think they took care of the blocking the plate shit after Posey got injured, apparently this winter they are taking up the slide into second on a double play.

At least in baseball they haven't fucked it up to the point we don't know what it and is not a catch yet.  Give 'em time.