• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What a crazy year for baseball...

Started by pate, October 01, 2014, 04:09:40 PM

Nick el Ass

Quote from: pate on April 14, 2015, 01:59:02 AM
Seriously, thaos goys onfire...

edit: ESPN nothin' buttah chek..

Hotter than Noory's flapper thing after eating a pizza roll.

pate

& I quote:

"uagah-uagach!"

or

"Bwahgah, TOMMEE, bwwahgah"

the historical mockraphone doesn't brocast so clearly....

Both recordings mysteriously end with something that sound suspiciously like:

"XCHWADNIALS"

in some dialects or languages means:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_cardinal

or somesuch....

pate

Oakland vs Kansas City Games April 17,18 & 19 2015.

Last night's game, heard it on the radio and saw a little on television.  Not sure if the last night (19th) made the ESPN highlights or not.

Just wow.

When did baseball and hockey merge?

17 Royals hit by pitches so far this year, no opposing pitchers thrown out.

In the past three games 2 Royals pitchers thrown out, one didn't even hit the batter, just threw behind him.

I think open season has been declared on Royal batters by MLB.

Quote from: pate on April 20, 2015, 04:36:53 AM
Oakland vs Kansas City Games April 17,18 & 19 2015.

Last night's game, heard it on the radio and saw a little on television.  Not sure if the last night (19th) made the ESPN highlights or not.

Just wow.

When did baseball and hockey merge?

17 Royals hit by pitches so far this year, no opposing pitchers thrown out.

In the past three games 2 Royals pitchers thrown out, one didn't even hit the batter, just threw behind him.

I think open season has been declared on Royal batters by MLB.

As a tiger fan. GOOD  ;D
Should be a good AL central race this year.

3OctaveFart

Lawrie is a doucherocket but it's not his fault the Royals couldn't let it go. They already drilled him Saturday.
As far as the Royals clamoring for respect- you made the playoffs once in the last 29 years. Once.

Quote from: pate on April 20, 2015, 04:36:53 AM
... In the past three games 2 Royals pitchers thrown out, one didn't even hit the batter, just threw behind him...

Just threw behind him. 

Um, if it was a fastball, that's considered worse than throwing AT the batter because a batters natural reaction is to back away from a beanball or an 'inside' pitch.  Tough for the pitcher to claim it got away from him, and there's no where to go if the pitch is behind you

3OctaveFart

Ventura and Herrera also throw 100 mph.
The slight Ventura became a hothead overnight.
He's been in two near-brawls in the last eight days.

Eddie Coyle

The Game Winning RBI was always a useless stat, because in a 10-9 game, it was often the guy who made it 1-0 in the first inning who got credited with it.

As useless? The fact that a pitcher who makes an error gets charged with an unearned run.

3OctaveFart

I interviewed Mike Greenwell a number of years ago, and he boasted about his number of GWRBI during his near-MVP season of 1988.
He was very bitter about losing the award to roided-up Canseco- still probably hasn't forgotten it.
He believed the slight cost him a lot of money.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: 3OctaveFart on April 20, 2015, 01:34:32 PM
I interviewed Mike Greenwell a number of years ago, and he boasted about his number of GWRBI during his near-MVP season of 1988.
He was very bitter about losing the award to roided-up Canseco- still probably hasn't forgotten it.
He believed the slight cost him a lot of money.

The 1988 NL GWRBI leader was Rafael Palmeiro(speaking of roids) for a 77 win Cub team, and I recall an article like the long defunct "The National" about the GWRBI devaluation being largely due to Palmeiro's "title" and how utterly insignificant the stat really was.

"Greenie" is quite bitter about Canseco's MVP, I don't blame him. He was terrific to watch in 87-88, was strikingly similar to Mattingly of that era. Sprayed the ball to all fields, but solidly. But in '89 a rather rapid and inexplicable decline in power. He began to develop a very long swing, would lunge and would often hit weak ground balls to the right side-often one handed. I've long thought that he watched Wade Boggs too closely and became overly concerned with hitting singles to keep his average afloat.

3OctaveFart

Greenwell retired at 32, a career .303 hitter. Good contact hitter who walked more than he struck out. I don't know why his career didn't last longer.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/greenmi01.shtml

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: 3OctaveFart on April 20, 2015, 02:21:14 PM
Greenwell retired at 32, a career .303 hitter. Good contact hitter who walked more than he struck out. I don't know why his career didn't last longer.

Bit of a clubhouse lawyer, and a disastrous stint in Japan hastened his demise. Those Red Sox clubhouses of 80's-early 2000's were toxic year in year out. I'm sure Greenwell despised having Canseco as a teammate. Kevin Kennedy would have sided with the bigger star.

pate

An excerpt from my forthcoming book  ??? :

I am actually mildly amused by the whole Oakland/KC thing.

-----------

I suppose this is warfare in some way. 

SO, the KC Royals are like the US/ISAF forces with very limited ROE(Rules of Engagement) designed to capture the hearts and mynds.  The rest of the AL (NL?) baseball teams are free to act like insurgents;  they either have no ROE or are not punished other than by losing for not following the ROE.

I predict in the coming weeks we will see an escalation of the KC Royals ROE when responding to the Insurgent baseball (the rest of the AL(NL?) aggression.  Royals pitchers will be issued flares to take to the mound after a Royals player is hit by a pitch.  Royals pitchers will be required to first deliver a verbal warning to the opposing batter that they plan to pitch well inside, or are feeling a bit stressed and may therefore deal a wild pitch.  If the opposing batter is not hit by a pitch immediately after the verbal warning, the pitcher must ignite the flare and throw it exactly half the distance fromt the pitcher's mound to home plate before delivering the next pitch.  If the opposing batter is not hit by a pitch immediately after the flare is thrown the Umpires may, at their discretion, eject the Royals pitcher from the game for displaying intent to hit the batter.

At this time the Royals coaches may exit the dug-out holding up their "Stress Cards," and ask the Umpire ONE question about the decision.  The coach's "Stress Card" is only valid for one Umpire question, if another question is asked by the coach the Umpire at their discretion may eject the Royals coach from the game.  All Royals players (excepting the pitcher when delivering a verbal intent to hit batter warning) will be expected to excercise EXTREME noise discipline, and excessive hand/arm movements are strictly forbidden.  If a player other than the pitcher violates noise discipline, and/or "gestures" that player is subject to immediate ejection from the game.

Teams opposing the Royals (Insurgents) can do whatever the fuq they want.  IEDs may be placed on the baselines, under the bases, or thrown into the Royals dugout.  If such IED detonates and injures an insurgent player instead of a Royal and the Insurgent team is at bat, it counts as a HBP.  The Royal pitcher will be immediately ejected, the batter will advance to first, & one of the Royals coaching staff will forfeit their "Stress Card."  &c (I think I have blah-blahed long enough, although I could make up more crap... heh)

--------------

Seriously though. 

I give everyone the Ventura thing, & he isn't "suddenly" a hot-head, he is known to have a tendency to be hot-headed although that is the worst incident I know of.  I may have done the same thing he did after seeing the Escobar/Laurie(sp) thing and giving up 5 runs.  "Hey, coach is gonna pull me out of the game soon... Oh look, that jackwagon Laurie!  I'm gonna drill that guy, fuq it!"  Poor decision, you are not supposed to let stuff get to your head like that, especially as a pitcher.  He may well have been steamed about the Escobar/Laurie thing to begin with and that's what in some part caused him to pitch so poorly.  My mynd reading helmet is at the shop getting repaired, so that is a WAG on my part.

Onto the Herrera thing.  That guy is a damn good, cool headed pitcher.  Look at his ERA.  I think if his intent was to drill Laurie in the head with a laser-beam fastball we'd be talking about will Laurie come out of his coma, and how fucked up is that & let's ban Herrera from baseball entirely &c.  I don't know if the lexicon of baseball allows for an "intentional wild pitch" but if it does I think that one would count.  If Laurie is a big enough dumbass to stick his head in front of that from a "reaction" (& I believe the "reaction" is to lean in or out to take the hit on the arm or back to get the free base, not one of recoiling in fear), and doesn't get "Knocked Dafuq Out" he deserves to take his base.

Laurie made the first bad decision in being the lead man in a potential double-play going in spikes out like that.  Ventura compounded the situation with his bad decision.  I saw some shots of Laurie laughing about something in the Friday game on the few chances I got to look at the TV & for sure immediately after the incident, so if it was truly "accidental" (the Escobar thing), well he showed his baboon ass to the world I suppose...

I don't think any Royals got HBP in tonights game btw. and I suppose it's actually 14 HBP bases taken by the Royals so far this season.  I did commit the sin of hyperbole, I admit.  17 is a prime number, and I like them.  Sue me!

I love how the Royals are now "the bad boyz" of baseball...

All you rat-eating haturz! 

PS:  I hear rat in cream sauce is delicious!

Myuahahaha!

Seems like a good time to invoke the spirit of Hal McRae and the KC Royals

https://youtu.be/GIiYw53nGd0

Nick el Ass

Quote from: Paper*Boy on April 20, 2015, 08:52:46 AM
Just threw behind him. 

Um, if it was a fastball, that's considered worse than throwing AT the batter because a batters natural reaction is to back away from a beanball or an 'inside' pitch.  Tough for the pitcher to claim it got away from him, and there's no where to go if the pitch is behind you

If you bean a guy you can at least argue that it slipped, and was an accident... but if you throw behind a guy that just shows you are trying to get a reaction. Odds are if the refs see that you are gone with little to no question. The worst thing is that some guys will aim for the head too.

3OctaveFart

I think a tiny dude picking two fights inside a week is volatile behavior.
The funniest shot was him yapping to Mike Trout in last week's unpleasantries.
Trout could have kicked his ass in about five seconds.

ponyboysunset

As a Tigers fan this season has been great so far! (I'm also a Cubs fan, but shhhh don't tell anyone)

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 21, 2015, 12:43:52 PM
    Quantity over quality, though. He lacks the vitriol of Lee Elia, the Napoleonic rage of Earl Weaver nor the hotheaded aplomb of Tommy Lasorda.

Def lacking color or skill.  YouTube was created for easy access to rants by the legends you mentioned

First this manager tells the reporters who follow the Reds who's injured, who's unavailable to play etc, then they report it.  Then in this clip he wonders why they reported it, and gets pissed off about it.  Perhaps he should consult with Falkie about the perils of oversharing..

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Paper*Boy on April 21, 2015, 01:13:36 PM
Def lacking color or skill.  YouTube was created for easy access to rants by the legends you mentioned

First this manager tells the reporters who follow the Reds who's injured, who's unavailable to play etc, then they report it.  Then in this clip he wonders why they reported it, and gets pissed off about it.  Perhaps he should consult with Falkie about the perils of oversharing..

Congrats to the Reds for replacing Dusty Baker with somebody even more clueless about what the media's role is.

"For fuckin' up World Series? You're going to be in the Hall of Fame for fucking up World Series?" may be the greatest line ever uttered by a ump.

http://youtu.be/f6cmqUTPn08

Eddie Coyle

The ball is JUICED this year. Which I anticipated happening after last year's lowest homer/RBI totals since '92. Some of the stiffs who already have 4 homers is prima facie evidence. The ball isn't supposed to fly out of the park in April at the rate that it is right now. This is redolent of juice ball of '87, or the juiced player era of 93-05.

Imconfused

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 21, 2015, 09:08:41 PM
   The ball is JUICED this year. Which I anticipated happening after last year's lowest homer/RBI totals since '92. Some of the stiffs who already have 4 homers is prima facie evidence. The ball isn't supposed to fly out of the park in April at the rate that it is right now. This is redolent of juice ball of '87, or the juiced player era of 93-05.

hey,  Eddie!!!   :)

In other words it's not baseball.  Which is why I don't watch it

albrecht

Now there could be a good C2C show Knapp or Art show considering it will start in summer. Going over the old juiced baseball theory and your current one! Not on C2C tho, it would result in the story about Norry and his son not being able to hit a ball and other personal stories, some cut off callers, and Joshua P. Warren about some haunted ballparks.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Imconfused on April 21, 2015, 09:12:03 PM
hey,  Eddie!!!   :)

Hey, hey, hey!  8)

Quote from: Paper*Boy on April 21, 2015, 09:15:40 PM
In other words it's not baseball.  Which is why I don't watch it

I find myself reading about baseball more than watching it. I have no interest in roiders playing a 13-12 game that had 25 solo home runs. It's the school yard ball of my youth- homers and singles and the asshole who hits it on the roof has to go climb up and get the ball.

Quote from: albrecht on April 21, 2015, 09:35:56 PM
Now there could be a good C2C show Knapp or Art show considering it will start in summer. Going over the old juiced baseball theory and your current one! Not on C2C tho, it would result in the story about Norry and his son not being able to hit a ball and other personal stories, some cut off callers, and Joshua P. Warren about some haunted ballparks.

Convicted PED-user Nelson Cruz should be sitting on 50 homers by the time Art debuts, so it could be timely. But the Maris chase of the summer of 1998 might as well be the summer of 1498 at this point with baseball's declining popularity. Seems a long time since anybody cared. By that standard, it's perfect for Noory.

3OctaveFart

Low run environment the last two seasons is more due to the shift and guys just hacking and swinging out of the zone.
Hitters swung at around 30% non-strikes last season as opposed to 18% in 2002, during the teeth of the steroids era.

pate

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on April 21, 2015, 12:22:47 AM
Seems like a good time to invoke the spirit of Hal McRae and the KC Royals

https://youtu.be/GIiYw53nGd0

That is dirty pool, sir... hehe