• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Tell Me, didn't Art transmit on SW in late 90's?

Started by blitzer850, September 14, 2014, 01:41:15 PM

blitzer850

I'm trying to remember, but didn't Art transmit or attempted to on shortwave for awhile?  How did that go?  I have an old grundig Sw that picks up all over the world quite well. Japan & Korea Crystal clear. Anyway I remember something about Art when he would sign on air to do show he would mention something about broadcasting on sw channel blah blah..  Or maybe I'm thinking about someone else.
Later,  BliTzer 😊📻📡✌🔊

I'm not sure.  He's an avid Ham operator so maybe he was just stating the channel he normally used?

blitzer850

Yeah I knew he was a ham operator, but I just faintly remember him experimenting on broadcasting his show for a little while on SW. In fact I think I tried to tune into or find it on sw.  I was messing around today on my radio listening to news broadcasts out of Asia & Russia trying to catch unbiased news reports lol.
Anyway does anyone else remember thisñthanx..

albrecht

I don't think so. I know Art is a HAM and often promoted CCrane radios that carry short-wave but I don't think C2C or Dreamland was broadcast over short-wave. (I got a few radios from CCrane and they still work! Used one to pull in a "numbers station" on SW a while ago.) Interesting one of the lawsuits and scandals (and turned out to be awful sad news) with Art was against a host at WWCR who alleged, as I recall, Art was a molester or covering something up.

Looking back on it it seems odd to be that he wouldn't have broadcast over shortwave considering his love of radio but it also could be related to the WWCR stuff (since that is about the only powerful shortwave station in the US to get programming.)

Wintermute

Don't remember him ever broadcasting on SW. HAM, yep. SW... eh.

scottydawg

I remember also sometimes after a good show after the nightly C2C slot was done he would go on shortwave to continue talking to people about the topic. Considering that most HAM radio operators are a bit more intelligent than the callers to the show I don't blame him! :o

zeebo

Quote from: Wintermute on September 15, 2014, 07:07:21 AM
Don't remember him ever broadcasting on SW ....

He didn't want to compete with all the number stations.

Quote from: Wintermute on September 15, 2014, 07:07:21 AM
Don't remember him ever broadcasting on SW. HAM, yep. SW... eh.

Ah, sorry.  Didn't know there was a difference.

Near the end of the show art would say he'd be up on 80m ham band (3853kHz?) but it wasn't a proper show. Mainly because at that time propogation is the best

Also the show feee used to be on C-band satellite (aka Big Ugly Dishes)

blitzer850

Yeah I remember that. I can't remember who it was but one of those talk show host during broadcast was trying out the show broadcasting on shortwave. I remember the host saying if all fails by tuning us by radio you can tune to blah blah frequency. I just can't remember who it was.  It lasted maybe a couple of weeks to a month at most.
You know those preaching channels on SW, that come in quite clear & loud from all over the US or world?  It was like that. Anyway no biggie, someone will defend my sanity. Hopefully soon..  ??? :o  ::)

Uncle Duke

Hadn't thought about it for some time, but I used to listen to SW station WBCQ "The Planet" out of Maine back in the 90s.  It was the ultimate in eclectic programming, evangelical preachers to conspiracy nutjobs and everything in between.  Their Sunday night guy was an entertaining, burnout lunatic named Johnny Lightning who used to take shots at Art on occasion.  Don't recall Art ever mentioning him, however.

Just got on TuneIn, apparently Johnny Lightning is still doing radio, listening to him now after entering "Radio New York International" in the search feature.  He's as offensive as ever.

albrecht

It is too bad but except Alex, which says a lot to the worth, not much received on SW in the US except on very good propagation nights. The only consistent is Spanish or WWCR (mostly "Christian" rantings). I still can find number stationa but, let's face it, sort of neat but boring. I recall Bill Cooper back in the day n some interestering, maybe crazy, folks. N better. In Europe I survived on BBC etc. Even the nautical time n weather was sort of fun to hear. I wish there was internet (like tunein) but could scan SW bands from everywhere. North America is dead for SW.

ks3484

Amateur radio[edit]
Bell became a licensed amateur radio operator at the age of 13. His first call sign was KN3JOX, first listed in the Winter 1959 edition of the Radio Amateur Callbook. He soon upgraded to K3JOX, and he later held W2CKS, first listed in the Spring 1967 Callbook. Bell holds an Amateur Extra Class license, which is in the top U.S. Federal Communications Commission license class. His call sign is W6OBB.

According to QRZ.com, Bell took and passed the Philippines amateur radio exams and became a Philippine Class A amateur radio operator with the call sign of 4F1AB.[21] While in the Philippines, Bell is active on 40-10 Meters, as well as 144.600 MHz simplex in Manila. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Bell]

blitzer850

Amazing how things change.. Maybe it was all a dream..  Heh