• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Dark Matter AM

Started by ks3484, September 08, 2014, 03:29:47 AM

ks3484

There is an incredible opportunity at hand that would allow those interested to advance their lot in life and this opportunity would also allow them to insure that there would always be a forum for good will or ill will out there and available over the airwaves.

I believe that if Art et al were able to secure the investment funds, that they could literally pick up and buy dozens and dozens of AM Radio stations that are just on the verge of shutting their doors and going off of the air.

I think that this would be an incredible opportunity for Art and his investment group to acquire those dozens and dozens of AM radio stations on which they would launch "Dark Matter AM."

Here is a recent story from the LA Times that describes how dire it is for a number of AM radio stations:  <a href=http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-fi-am-death-20140902-story.html#page=1>KFWB switching to all-sports format as AM radio fights for survival</a>

Am I the only one that sees this opportunity?

l

jazmunda

I'm sure Art and his crack team of lawyers, financial advisors, investment bankers, life coaches, personal chefs, personal trainers and masseurs are right onto this just as soon as they wiggle their way out of the non compete. ;) :P

ks3484

Quote from: jazmunda on September 08, 2014, 05:26:42 AM
I'm sure Art and his crack team of lawyers, financial advisors, investment bankers, life coaches, personal chefs, personal trainers and masseurs are right onto this just as soon as they wiggle their way out of the non compete. ;) :P

How can you be sure??? Don't forget that he is complying with the NC contract with SiriuXM. As for the rest, well I do believe that one of Art's major business partners, Alan Corbeth, had just purchased 12 radio stations right before they made the deal to sell them all, including Coast To Coast AM, to Premiere Radio aka Clear Channel Radio.

Maybe it's an opportunity that's not just for Art. Maybe some of Art's fans and followers could look at this as opportunity as well. There's no reason why a group of Art's fans and followers couldn't look at the opportunity as a group venture. They could combine their resources and acquire the stations themselves; thus securing a format, a place, that people and shows like Art Bell's would always have a place on the airwaves in to perpetuity.

well it was just a thought...... ;)

Art`s winding down, folks...he`s winding down.

ALTHOUGH, I still maintain that he could/would make a good fill-in once or twice a week.

ks3484

Quote from: FightTheFuture on September 08, 2014, 09:10:50 AM
Art`s winding down, folks...he`s winding down.

ALTHOUGH, I still maintain that he could/would make a good fill-in once or twice a week.

Well I do remember hearing him say something about plying the mic from his cold dead hands.

That might have been about him sitting outside on his front lawn, and talking a meteor or asteroid in, and the end of the world.                       

Art once paid 400 bucks(entrusted to Bob Crane) for a crystal ball.

One of his better business decisions

Uncle Duke

I said a few weeks ago Art could string together a network of struggling, low power AM stations in small cities/towns for his "return" in 2015.  That could work simply because the majority of those stations would have little to lose when it comes to their bottom lines.

What you are proposing is shear lunacy from an investment standpoint, however.  Who in their right mind would put money into a venture to purchase failing radio stations to put a serial quitter on the air for four hours a day?  What will those investors do when Art does the "no mas, no mas" bit again?

I'd rather invest my money is something a little safer, like the Polanski School for Young Women.

Quote from: ks3484 on September 08, 2014, 09:31:37 AM

Well I do remember hearing him say something about plying the mic from his cold dead hands...                     

He must have meant the mic to his ham radio set

nextgen.fm

yeah just wat we need more sports stations

god I hate them

ks3484

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 08, 2014, 12:34:30 PM
I said a few weeks ago Art could string together a network of struggling, low power AM stations in small cities/towns for his "return" in 2015.  That could work simply because the majority of those stations would have little to lose when it comes to their bottom lines.

What you are proposing is shear lunacy from an investment standpoint, however.  Who in their right mind would put money into a venture to purchase failing radio stations to put a serial quitter on the air for four hours a day?  What will those investors do when Art does the "no mas, no mas" bit again?

I'd rather invest my money is something a little safer, like the Polanski School for Young Women.

Ok ok ok! We must recognize that we are the Children of the first ever International Geophysical Year and Art Bell was our generations Nightfly.

Haven't you been watching The Dark Matter Radio Network? There are dozens and dozens of radio personalities ready, willing, and able to pick up with there shows where Art's shows and broadcasts end.

I think it's an opportunity, but I nay be wrong....

<a href=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sogYgHlNnqo>The Nightfly - I.G.Y. link</a>

Wintermute

That in itself is the blessing and curse of radio. People hold their favorite radio personalities in high esteem. But **doing** radio isn't a skill people are born with. All radio personalities develop their thing over time through doing. It isn't any different than most other professions. Because radio doesn't require a college degree (even though there are plenty of schools willing to sell you 4-yr programs), there is naturally a very large pool of talent. ANYONE can do radio with a little knowledge experience. Compound this with cheap technology and Internet. Thanks to tech and Internet, anyone can get mic time and learn the basics through trial and error.

There always has been a glut of radio talent. Modern day, it's even worse b/c of all the practiced talent + if AM/FM/SXM do not want them, they will just stream/podcast. Needing a radio station to reach 1000's of listeners is a thing of the past. And no radio station I know of will pay worth a squirt unless you are so good you hit regional syndication. Forget national... other than Andy Dean (who left AM to go to online) there isn't a young guy nationally syndicated. Why be the slave to the ClearChannels and JBG's of the world when you can be your own master?

AM isn't going away w/o a fight. Too much money wrapped up in it. But to bring it back, programming an over-cooked topic (paranormal radio) won't do it. Fringe topics are fringe b/c they are discussed at the fringe... i.e. podcast-land. If one show happens to have an excellent host and gets thousands of streams, then maybe a national syndication will make an offer. But no one is going to make a blind bet on a played-out topic when the pool of radio talent is darn near bottomless.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: ks3484 on September 08, 2014, 09:07:47 PM

Ok ok ok! We must recognize that we are the Children of the first ever International Geophysical Year and Art Bell was our generations Nightfly.

Haven't you been watching The Dark Matter Radio Network? There are dozens and dozens of radio personalities ready, willing, and able to pick up with there shows where Art's shows and broadcasts end.

I think it's an opportunity, but I nay be wrong....

<a href=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sogYgHlNnqo>The Nightfly - I.G.Y. link</a>

What I've seen relative to DMRN is a group of programs that routinely have less than five hundred listeners per show despite being available worldwide at no cost. How are you going to sell that product to over-the-air broadcast programming professionals whose job depends on selling commerical air-time?

jazmunda

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 08, 2014, 10:39:08 PM
What I've seen relative to DMRN is a group of programs that routinely have less than five hundred listeners per show despite being available worldwide at no cost. How are you going to sell that product to over-the-air broadcast programming professionals whose job depends on selling commerical air-time?

malliard

i am going to say this, Art isnt even invested into his DMRN. cant see him wanting to find more work since he isnt doing any now.

jazmunda

Quote from: malliard on September 09, 2014, 06:48:35 AM
i am going to say this, Art isnt even invested into his DMRN. cant see him wanting to find more work since he isnt doing any now.

I thought it was Keith Rowland's Dark Matter Radio Network. ;)

malliard

my bad, i just forget he is the webmaster for the artbell.com

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 08, 2014, 10:39:08 PM

Yeah, that`s pretty much my sentiments as well, Duke. You just said it a fair bit better than I could.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 08, 2014, 12:34:30 PM

Sorry to say I have to agree with you, Duke.  Despite his wishy washy recent track record, I don't rule out Art returning to the air, but at his age it's all but impossible to believe he still has the drive and willingness to commit to a nightly show.  I can see him maybe doing a couple of nights a week, and I'd be happy to get that much out of him.  At least until something gets his knickers in a knot and he quits in a huff again.

QuoteI'd rather invest my money is something a little safer, like the Polanski School for Young Women.

;D  But, ewwww.