• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

EvB

Quote from: Frys Girl on November 26, 2008, 10:03:48 PM
To Kill A Mockingbird. 1962. I'm old school.

A lovely film - based on a novel by a woman who spent too much time as research assistant and editor to men (Truman Capote in particular) to do more of her own work.

No offense guys - it was the culture of the time - to ALL our loss.

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on November 26, 2008, 09:56:13 PM
The quintessential Powers Booth movie and the reason I never joined the Army Reserve.

Lol, QFT on both accounts. xD

Quote from: Frys Girl on November 26, 2008, 10:03:48 PM
To Kill A Mockingbird. 1962. I'm old school.

Okay, I loved that film, (granted I think it was a little silly) but could it have been a little fuckin shorter? I mean JEEEEESUS. I think our DVD copy is two discs....for a black and white low-quality movie..e.e;

Pin - 1988

One of the most bizarre films I have ever thankfully encountered.

Frys Girl

OMG. Good catch Michael. Didn't realize this. I want to watch it again now. This is one of my favorite movies of all time. I love this era and I love old-time radio. Save me the hateration Phan!

The last time I saw TKAM, I watched it on a television screen in a video game. The Darkeness

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on November 28, 2008, 01:54:16 AM
The last time I saw TKAM, I watched it on a television screen in a video game. The Darkness

The last time I viewed part of TKAM, it was within Vanilla Sky.

To Kill a Mockingbird is an amazing book.  If a genie granted me one wish for creating a brilliant novel, but stipulated I had to choose between creating something like TKAM vs. an eternal crown jewel like Catcher in the Rye, I wouldn't know which "effect" to pick and would simply lapse into convulsions and lose consciousness.  Subsequently, I would pen something like Still Life with Woodpecker.  Upon publication, I would find myself being sued by Tom Robbins's publisher.  Shortly thereafter, Tom would  release a book called "Jinn" detailing the events in a fictional manner, eerily dipping into my mindset.

This would cause my complete breakdown and my commital to Terrell State Hospital in Terrell, Texas - the culmination of some wicked mindfuck circle I had hardly suspected.

EvB

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 28, 2008, 12:10:27 PM

To Kill a Mockingbird is an amazing book.  If a genie granted me one wish for creating a brilliant novel, but stipulated I had to choose between creating something like TKAM vs. an eternal crown jewel like Catcher in the Rye, I wouldn't know which "effect" to pick and would simply lapse into convulsions and lose consciousness. 

UNDERSTANDABLE!  But, as a woman, these issues would have impact on my choice. Harper Lee wrote a true gem of a novel. ONCE. In fact, as far as I know, she was never published again.  Why?

Did she simply pour her entire soul into this one piece?  (I should be so worthy as to create even one piece that could sit on the same shelf!)

Was she afraid, after all the lauds and honors, to not live up to people's expectations?

Was she (and this is one I suspect) overwhelmed by the flamboyance and arrogance of the popular male authors with whom she kept company, and for whom she did much of the research and editing?  And, as part of that, was she more comfortable being a friend and "office wife" to these men - being a mid 20th century southern lady after all, than setting out on her own?

I think I'd ask the genie for Harper Lee's talent and insight - but with 21st century sensibilities and independence.

Who knows where that could lead?

Quote from: EvB on November 28, 2008, 12:25:59 PM
Harper Lee wrote a true gem of a novel. ONCE. In fact, as far as I know, she was never published again.  Why?

Just as interesting to me, JD Salinger had but TWO novels published, the second being Franny and Zooey

I've sent numerous letters to JD suggesting he team up with Harper Lee and write a joint novel.  He only replied once: 

I received an envelope filled with sawdust and four dead flies.

I interpreted this as a reference to the Four Horsemen (horseflies) of the Apocalypse referenced in the Book of Revelation.  On the exterior of the envelope, where the return address should have appeared, a purple ticket stub from Coney Island was glued. 

Line one of the stub reads: THE HO
Line two of the stub reads: OF MIR

(Obviously, this is not a reference to some Russian slut orbiting the planet, though I can't be completely sure, given the sender's disposition.)

Curiously, as revealed by the printed monogram on the flap, the envelope itself was part of a stationary set as issued by the legendary New York City Horn & Hardart automat. 

JD is such a kidder.  He knew that fact would ~lodge~ in my mind.  It haunts me to this day, obviously.  I'm obsessed with automats.

Lee is 82.  Salinger is 89. 

And I ...

I am growing more mysterious by the yoctosecond.

(I saved the envelope and its contents.)

Frys Girl

OH god. Salinger. Where to begin. Another love since childhood. That is amazing that you received a reply from him Cam. I love that story.

Spikegirl

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 28, 2008, 12:51:12 PM

On the exterior of the envelope, where the return address should have appeared, a purple ticket stub from Coney Island was glued. 

Line one of the stub reads: THE HO
Line two of the stub reads: OF MIR

Ahhh...a fan of Coney Island and The House of Mirrors. My kind of man.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 28, 2008, 12:51:12 PM

I received an envelope filled with sawdust and four dead flies.

Did someone say Sawdust and Flies?

http://www.sawdustandflies.com/

EvB

QuoteFranny and Zooey
that book, along with the collection of short stories about that same clan, is one of the scariest accounts of being take over by severe neurosis  - right up to the edge of Psychosis - i've ever read.  Not saying the were literary genius - just that they struck a chord in me as a young woman that "The Bell Jar" (suicide anthem for my generation) never could.

Don't CARE if they are corny - at 16 they sucked me in, completely.

The Sopranos - 1999 Season 1 - Episodes 9, 10, 11, 12, & 13.

MV/Liberace!

poseidon (2006)

apparently during production of this movie someone thought it was reasonable to suggest a small boy could open a heavy steel grate covering an air shaft in an ocean liner using the cross from a necklace as a screwdriver.  that someone should go back to live on his/her parents' farm in iowa.

thank you.

EvB

'Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed'

Okay - shoot me!  It was Ben Stein and free on my Netflix stream account.  And, it was just as awful as I'd been told.  Rumor is the Stein went for the project due to the use of [twisted] Darwinian theory that was used to justify Nazi genocide. The creepy thing is, this film has very little data, and a way-over-the-top amount of Nazi and US WWII style propaganda imagery. It's pure manipulation - and I don't think it had to be. Also - a little research (admittedly web research which can be questionable) suggests they exaggerated what "facts" they did have concerning the repercussions suffered by academics for suggesting that Darwin did not have the last word.Too bad -- while I do not share his politics - I used to respect and enjoy Stein.  This bit of disinformation doesn't even make good theater.