• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

I took a trip to my childhood tonight.  I went to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and loved all the cultural references from my youth, like the old Taco Bell and Der Weinershitzel restaurants as well as Sinister Seymour, Real Don Steele and 93 KHJ.  Plus I was ecstatic when the Pitt and DiCaprio killed some of the Manson family.  May they all rot in Hell.  Absolutely my favorite film of the last few years and I have never been crazy about Tarantino.  5 stars!!!

One criticism that I do have for Once  ....  is it vilifies a segment of America....the hippies..... in much the same way that Django Unchained vilified Southerners.  Tarantino needs to learn not to blast cultures but narrow his anger to certain people or groups.  Still,  I loved seeing some of the Manson family getting their just desserts.  Too bad Charlie wasn't one of the victims.

ItsOver

Quote from: 21st Century Man on December 12, 2019, 12:28:41 AM
I took a trip to my childhood tonight.  I went to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and loved all the cultural references from my youth, like the old Taco Bell and Der Weinershitzel restaurants as well as Sinister Seymour, Real Don Steele and 93 KHJ.  Plus I was ecstatic when the Pitt and DiCaprio killed some of the Manson family.  May they all rot in Hell.  Absolutely my favorite film of the last few years and I have never been crazy about Tarantino.  5 stars!!!
Any movie that has a connection to Der Weinershitzel is a must see.  ;D 8)

WOTR

The documentary "the edge of democracy."

I get the feeling that everybody will watch it through their political lens. It is an interesting look at the raw emotion that surrounded the impeachment in Brazil. It is interesting to listen to the law makers and the public who cheer as those they disagree with are carted off to jail or admit that it is not really about crimes.

The trial of Lulu has him painted as the mastermind because he has an... apartment not in his name.

Is there a warning around accepting some of the elite's traps- compromising yourself for power? Is there a warning against daring to damage the banks- the financial sector and lowering interest rates? The gullibility of people when you go form 87% approval rate to a prisoner with people chanting for your death?

I suppose that people will watch this and either cast Trump as Temor, Lulu, Dilma or even Bolsonaro? Of course, it is not really that simple. They talk of 9 people controlling the news in Brazil- how many are there in the USA?

*I suppose one if the interesting things that I found is that in Brazil the prosecutor becomes the trail judge. Wow, what a system!

Anyhow, worth watching...

Taaroa

Finished watching the Watchmen tv show. It was a trainwreck through and through, and in the end had no payoff or anything interesting to say beyond maybe "fuck Alan Moore". Like you can tell that they had someone read the original book enough to put 'references' through it, but everything else either missed the point or seemed designed deliberately to take a massive shit on it.
The main character was extremely unlikeable and a bad actor, the show was crammed to the brim with 'wokeness', and there were plotholes and bad writing galore (eg Veidt one episode has no dialogue and simply farts).
Anyone who tells you that this show is good (as to opposed maybe a few scenes that are okay) is a fucking moron and/or is posturing.

I also finished watching The Boys which takes the opposite route to Watchmen, and actually improves upon the source material. Basically the show is set in a world where superheroes are commonplace and managed by a large company (think Disney), but are extremely hedonistic and not at all heroic and follows a group of vigilantes working to stop them/expose this fact. It's pretty goofy but I enjoyed it.

Also have been watching The Mandalorian, which is okay and fairly predictable but still a lot better than anything else Star Wars made recently. I am sick of seeing the baby Yoda crap being spammed everywhere though.

Will be watching the new season of The Expanse when I get time, and The New Pope (sequel to The Young Pope) when it releases next month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNdvNxBtWuo

Gd5150

Just finished 6 seasons of Downton Abbey. It was entertaining.

Started watching MASH a few months ago. Surprisingly funny.

pate

FP2: Beats of Rage

Any movie that opens with a 3 Drink Minimum warning has got to be good...

https://youtu.be/tgdVv6MK1PA

I may have to find FP1, this is some stupid funny shit.

Kidnostad3

Saw 1917 over the weekend.  Well acted--characters believable  Amazing cinematography, special affects and set and prop detail. A bit too long.

https://youtu.be/KQfybDxplPw

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on January 21, 2020, 04:21:42 PM
Saw 1917 over the weekend.  Well acted--characters believable  Amazing cinematography, special affects and set and prop detail. A bit too long.

I heard lots of continuous shots and not many edits. You gotta respect the kind of planning that goes into that.

albrecht

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on January 21, 2020, 04:21:42 PM

I haven't seen but heard it was good. One compliant I heard was due to the chatter about the long takes and not much cutting that the person kept looking for the clever ways they hid the cuts instead of just watching the movie! 

Kidnostad3

Quote from: albrecht on January 21, 2020, 04:44:12 PM
I haven't seen but heard it was good. One compliant I heard was due to the chatter about the long takes and not much cutting that the person kept looking for the clever ways they hid the cuts instead of just watching the movie!

There were scenes that I thought were overly long and added nothing to the story for their length.  I commented to my wife on that very thing.  Well worth seeing if you’ve got 1:59 to spare. 

Taaroa

I just finished watching The New Pope. The new season starts off weak, but eventually gets stronger until it finishes with three really great episodes.

It has a few quirks and missteps here and there, some plotholes, and omissions of important characters from the first season, so I'm not sure if I would say it's as good as The Young Pope was but it's still excellent.

Asuka Langley

Hekutopasukaru: Uzuku onna

Mio is a mortician in Japan. Her husband dies and she gets horny and becomes the prefectures community cum bucket every time a typhoon rips though the town.

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/details/Hecto-Pascal-Sensual-Callgirl/369810

Dr. MD MD

Just watched a decent Frontline on Amazon. Jeff Bezos must be stopped!!!

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 18, 2020, 09:55:19 PM
Just watched a decent Frontline on Amazon. Jeff Bezos must be stopped!!!

Will check out. FRONTLINE a good show. They even did Vatican Bank and mysterious hanging death at Black Friar Bridge back when episode. 

Just watched "Arctic" (2019.) Pretty good. Amazing scenery n good acting. Much better than similiar movies like "Castaway," which I thought horrible, though Hanks did, as always, some good comedy.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on February 18, 2020, 09:59:51 PM

Will check out. FRONTLINE a good show. They even did Vatican Bank and mysterious hanging death at Black Friar Bridge back when episode. 

Just watched "Arctic" (2019.) Pretty good. Amazing scenery n good acting. Much better than similiar movies like "Castaway," which I thought horrible, though Hanks did, as always, some good comedy.

Yeah, Frontline still delivers occasionally. I thought their recent report on the Philippines was pretty honest too.

I’ve long been a fan of Hanks and thought he was a naturally funny guy. Which is why it was painful to see that he’s now an old man whincing at a cutting edge jester daring to tell the truth at the Golden Globes. #sad. :(

pate

I am currently running through The Outer Limits in this time of cry-sis.  Under this "new normal" some of the dystopian story lines are quite creepy.   These are the "new" Outer Limits episodes I am watching, although I believe they did remakes of a few of the original series story-lines.

If you have Amazon Prime, Season 1 and Seasons 3-7 are included.  No idea what was so special about the second season that it is not included.

For the illiterate among you here is a commercial for an episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH4-Ay61r3Y

N'joy!

-p

albrecht

TCM having a solid schedule thus far for a lock-down. "Them!" is on now and "Forbidden Planet" next. So crack open a Hamm's and settle down for some good lock-down viewing, especially considering it is going to be 90 and humid here. 95 tomorrow. Well "spring" was nice for the couple of days of that season.  :o

Dr. MD MD

I just watched a decent “found footage” documentary style movie about the moon landing hoax, from the perspective that it really was a hoax and the CIA agents assigned to work on it. It’s called Operation Avalanche. I thought it was good and I rarely ever come across movies that I do anymore. Worthy!

Kidnostad3

Last night I watched "The Killing of a Sacred Deer" and I lack the words to describe how badly it sucks.

albrecht

Watched the Amazon production "The Vast of Night" last night. I enjoyed it. It was free on Amazon Prime. Had a nice Art Bell and Rod Sterling vibe. Not great but wasn't a waste of time and fun and interesting radio and phone switchboard stuff.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6803046/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

COLOR OF SPACE (2019)

The best screen adaption of H. P. Lovecraft's material. Ever.

The ones disagreeing are the ones who haven't read HPL's stories and glibbly claim "the Dunwich Horror - 1970, is better."

Amateurs.

Jackstar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_Not_Guaranteed

If one hasn't seen this, I would advise one to arrange for a viewing before the ending is revealed to you. This one matters.

Don't let what happened to me, happen to you. Or, let it happen twice, IDGASRWF. Just a suggestion!

/shrugged