• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

MIT figures out how to give the moon broadband -- using lasers

Started by wr250, May 25, 2014, 03:18:17 PM

wr250

Four transmitting telescopes in the New Mexico desert, each just 6 inches in diameter, can give a satellite orbiting the moon faster Internet access than many U.S. homes get.

The telescopes form the earthbound end of an experimental laser link to demonstrate faster communication with spacecraft and possible future bases on the moon and Mars. Researchers from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology will give details about the system and its performance next month at a conference of The Optical Society.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9248549/MIT_figures_out_how_to_give_the_moon_broadband_using_lasers

b_dubb

Quote from: area51drone on May 28, 2014, 01:15:30 AM
And it's still as ugly and unreadable as ever.
Try looking at it on an iPad. No text. Just a bunch of rectangles on a black background.

cweb

Ah, the corner. Truly an honor.

The first time I visited Hoagie's site I thought "wow, Hoagland is pretty good at tabloid graphics." Then I remember him talking about his "graphics guy." How do you get that gig? (And do you put it on your resume?)

b_dubb

area51drone

I know Keith Rowland had been his webmaster.  I'm not sure if he still is, but I believe he might have created all the original graphics "work".