• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Gaming Thread

Started by area51drone, April 27, 2014, 10:58:41 AM

area51drone

One thread to rule them all.   Saw this article on old ET cartridges being dug up.  I liked that game when I was a kid, I don't know why it gets such a bad rap.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20140427/DADE5I981.html

I liked the JAWS game for NES. And the Karate Kid one too.

Film franchise games often get a bad rap because they are seen as "thrown together" for the sake of advertising.

I remember Duck Tales being a winner on the NES.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on April 27, 2014, 11:12:23 AM
I remember Duck Tales being a winner on the NES.

Haunted houses, the amazon, the moon, what's not to like?

Games had some sort of neat shit in them back then. "Go hit that rock with a stick and an extra life will jump out of it" "Go jump to that rock by the top of the screen and you can jump from there to the top of the score numbers and walk to a secret chamber to the left" Lots of shit you could never run into even if you beat the damn thing.

I remember being into the game BATTLE OF OLYMPUS and having some sort of mythological bull trample the shit out of me.

aldousburbank

Quote from: guildnavigator on April 27, 2014, 11:06:56 AM
I liked the JAWS game for NES. And the Karate Kid one too.

Film franchise games often get a bad rap because they are seen as "thrown together" for the sake of advertising.
Nice to see the old avatar back in play Guild, but the young John Lennon is how I'll always think of you.

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 27, 2014, 11:35:31 AM
Nice to see the old avatar back in play Guild, but the young John Lennon is how I'll always think of you.

I think Top Gun was actually a decent NES game made from a movie.

Foodlion

Best NES games I played were
Ghost & Goblins, Excite Bike, Solomon's key, Final Fantasy 1&2, and Dragon Warrior.

cweb

Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat. With 4 players.

Or Captain Skyhawk.

Or Blades of Steel. WEE-WOO, WEE-WEE-WOO. HITS THE PASS. AUGHHH.

aldousburbank

I played Space Invaders once but ran out of quarters.

steelbot

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 28, 2014, 10:27:17 AM
I played Space Invaders once but ran out of quarters.
Should have taken a fistful of quarters and played donkey kong  ::)

area51drone

Coin detected in pocket.

Designx

I'm a shmup fan - DoDonpachi is awesome.

Jackstar

Everyone: Demon's Souls.

bigchucka

Quote from: Foodlion on April 27, 2014, 12:09:52 PM
Best NES games I played were
Ghost & Goblins, Excite Bike, Solomon's key, Final Fantasy 1&2, and Dragon Warrior.

I own Final Fantasy Origins and Final Fantasy Anthology... funny thing is our FF2 is Japan's FF4, and our FF3 is Japan's FF6.  When FF7 for the PlayStation came out, they finally got the numbers matched up...

Jackstar

Everyone: Competitive Advantage and the Productivity Frontier, Or Why Dark Souls is the Ikea of Game Development

This is actually more about business strategies than gaming--he even goes on and on about Southwest Airlines--but it still belongs here.

The place for ET is the landfill. Should have left them buried.

RcCle

There's a new Star Wars game currently in beta.  www.starwarsattacksquadrons.com

Its free and is a pretty addictive multiplayer-online dogfight thingy.

Jackstar

I just lost three hundred and fifty thousand souls. Dark Souls.  :-[

area51drone

Quote from: Jackstar on May 17, 2014, 02:00:33 AM
I just lost three hundred and fifty thousand souls. Dark Souls.  :-[

And I gained 50 worshipers tonight.  Populous DS.

It really upsets me that coinops are pretty much dead, at least where I live. XBox and PS4 are just no substitute. I miss everything about them, even just seeing the cabinets standing around in public places. The social experience of playing can't really be reproduced speaking over the internet no matter how much more advanced the game is.

What have arcades been replaced with in most places? Bank machines, the depressing and boring arcade games for adults.

zeebo

Quote from: Agent : Orange on May 24, 2014, 11:51:43 AM
It really upsets me that coinops are pretty much dead, at least where I live. XBox and PS4 are just no substitute. I miss everything about them, even just seeing the cabinets standing around in public places. The social experience of playing can't really be reproduced speaking over the internet no matter how much more advanced the game is.

What have arcades been replaced with in most places? Bank machines, the depressing and boring arcade games for adults.

Yes yes yes!  In a desperate nolstalgic moment I dropped by the local bowling alley awhile back, to check out their so-called arcade.  There was nothing but a couple lame newer games, one of those pick-the-toy-with-the-crane games, and a broken Ms. PacMan collecting dust in the corner.

I miss wandering through the great arcades of the 70's and 80's, hearing all the blips, bleeps, and music themes from the various machines.  I miss seeing the other players trying to beat high scores or pranking their friends.  And I miss those full-size machines, with the cool art and most importantly, the correct controls.  I mean ever try to play Marble Madness on your computer without the rolling ball control?  Or Defender without the classic 7 or 8 buttons/levers?  It's just not the same.

zeebo

Btw ... I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but anyone who laments the demise of old-school games, especially if they're a child of the 80's like me, might want to check out one of the most fun sci-fi books I've read in a while, called Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

Quote from: zeebo on May 24, 2014, 03:21:23 PM
Yes yes yes!  In a desperate nolstalgic moment I dropped by the local bowling alley awhile back, to check out their so-called arcade.  There was nothing but a couple lame newer games, one of those pick-the-toy-with-the-crane games, and a broken Ms. PacMan collecting dust in the corner.

I miss wandering through the great arcades of the 70's and 80's, hearing all the blips, bleeps, and music themes from the various machines.  I miss seeing the other players trying to beat high scores or pranking their friends.  And I miss those full-size machines, with the cool art and most importantly, the correct controls.  I mean ever try to play Marble Madness on your computer without the rolling ball control?  Or Defender without the classic 7 or 8 buttons/levers?  It's just not the same.

I remember them most fondly from convenience stores. Every 7-11 worth their salt had one or two sitting around

area51drone

Zeebo,  you're coming to the Seattle area one of these days and you and I will hit the arcade scene.

zeebo

Quote from: area51drone on May 24, 2014, 09:03:51 PM
Zeebo,  you're coming to the Seattle area one of these days and you and I will hit the arcade scene.

Nice, just point me towards the nearest Centipede or Dig Dug and prepare to be schooled.   ;D

ziznak

I've been playing a lot of NES rampage and Indiana Jones in the Temple of doom.  I noticed tho just recently that Duck Tales is in my collection as well.  I had the nintendo power that featured Duck Tales back in the day when me and my sisters got it for xmas... my sisters were gaming now thats a looooong time ago!

Jackstar

Everyone who loves schadenfreude: Dark Souls

http://youtu.be/2ecS0yKnNLA