• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "NEST" big thing.

Started by Kate the Bionic Uterus, April 24, 2014, 09:00:46 PM

If you haven't heard about "Nest" then I suggest you look into it. It is an incredible idea and now that Google owns it the idea can actually have a chance to become reality. Venture Capitalists that invest in technology are all over this. Again, like Bitcoin, this idea will require you to see into the future or it will waft swiftly over your head. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2014/01/18/google-buys-nest-just-as-internet-of-things-suffers-first-global-cyber-attack/

I learned this from my older brother; When his friends announced a pregnancy he used to buy them Disney stock in the baby's name. As a stock holder you get certain travel benefits. Last year when my sister gave birth to her second child I bought baby James some stock in Google. There are no travel deals but Google is creating the future. Imo everyone should own some.

b_dubb

Your fridge sends you a text message reminding you to buy milk and your toaster sends another message reminding you to buy bread.  Can't wait.

Quote from: b_dubb on April 24, 2014, 09:48:53 PM
Your fridge sends you a text message reminding you to buy milk and your toaster sends another message reminding you to buy bread.  Can't wait.

heheh What if your fridge and your toaster don't get along?

Kidding but I really don't think that is going to be the end result of this technology. That is just how people understand this technology today. That is really just skimming the surface. Think more on the lines of Home Alarms, Smoke alarms, Carbon Monoxide alarms, Thermostat control, Foundation cracks, or having your hot water tank monitored...

I think it is going to be a one stop home monitoring system that also will act like a mini cloud internet; imagine coming home and opening the door and your house recognizes you by your cell phone and automatically gives you your home phone messages; or tells you that there is a problem with the furnace or a short circuit somewhere in the house... or even the supper that you were slow cooking is ready. As you walk through each room the lights dim brighter or softer as you leave. Better yet imagine if you left the oven on and left the house, your Nest System could call you and warn you about a potential problem.

There are a lot of exciting possibilities.

Jackstar

Quote from: Kate the Bionic Uterus on April 24, 2014, 11:21:17 PM
imagine coming home and opening the door and your house recognizes you by your cell phone

... and then imagine a process server coming around the corner and saying, "surprise!" Although I suppose it wouldn't be much of a surprise.

On the bright side, if someone steals my cell phone, someone else will get served with my imaginary divorce papers.

QuoteBetter yet imagine if you left the oven on and left the house, your Nest System could call you and warn you about a potential problem.

Can it just call the fire department? How about... can it just turn itself off? Why do all these robots have to message me? Remember when we had machines that answered the phone for us... what good is such a machine if it makes the phone ring? More audible alarms intruding on one's life is clearly sub-optimal!

There are a lot of exciting possibilities.

I don't want a machine that harasses me to remember to buy fluid squeezed out of a bovine's udder. I want a machine that creates food out of ATOMS. Get to work scientists! Chop, chop!

area51drone

Quote from: Kate the Bionic Uterus on April 24, 2014, 11:21:17 PM
Think more on the lines of Home Alarms, Smoke alarms, Carbon Monoxide alarms, Thermostat control, Foundation cracks, or having your hot water tank monitored...

Here's a far better usage of your money in regards to the hot water tank - buy a thermal sleeve and make it more efficient.   There are already thermostats, home, smoke and carbon monoxide alarms that work in conjunction with each other and will alert you via text, phone call, etc if you want them.  I don't think NEST is the next big thing, this stuff is already here.

I think it is going to be a one stop home monitoring system that also will act like a mini cloud internet; imagine coming home and opening the door and your house recognizes you by your cell phone

Already done, they even have it where the door will unlock when you're near it.   I just added a web/app control to my garage door so I can check it and make sure it's closed when I'm half a mile down the road, and I can close it if needed.

and automatically gives you your home phone messages;

My home phone already transcribes the messages and emails them to me.

or tells you that there is a problem with the furnace or a short circuit somewhere in the house... or even the supper that you were slow cooking is ready.

I'm all for cool tech shit, but I think some of what you're suggesting is a little overboard.  A circuit breaker works just fine for letting me know there is a problem.  Every device you plug into the wall would have to be a smart device in order for you to know exactly what causes the short.  Most of the time, in my house at least, you know instantly what's causing it because you just plugged something in.   I would love a fridge that reminded me there was food that was going to spoil soon if we didn't eat it.

Personally, I'd rather not have too many things connected.  I envision a simpler life, less connected, less digital, and where there is technology, it should be seamless and unobtrusive.   One thing I'd like to see is wireless inductive power, instead of standard power cords.

This is cool:

A Day Made of Glass... Made possible by Corning. (2011)

As would be something along the lines of this:

Meet The Robot Maid, The Future of Technology

The only idea I have hit on that would work right away would be something to monitor your medicine cabinet and meds/refills.

Oh and something that could automatically make my bed. I would be all over that. Make my bed from my car with the push of a button while I drive to work.

area51drone

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on April 25, 2014, 06:57:12 AM
Oh and something that could automatically make my bed. I would be all over that. Make my bed from my car with the push of a button while I drive to work.

Yep, what will really be ultimately life changing will be robotic assistants.   I am looking forward to saying "Chunga, go do the laundry."   Yes, I will be naming my personal robot after GIS's own Jimmy Chunga.

I mean, just think of it, you mortgage out a robot for say, $100k, and you'll never have to lift a finger to do stupid chores again.    And you won't have to hire maids to do it for you.    You'll pay it off over the course of 15 or 20 years or something, that way everyone can afford one since they're likely to be very expensive.

Foodlion

At the rate of progress this Technology is making, I'd be scared to think of where it will come.

I can just picture the future machines telling us we need to start making soylent green because it will save our planet from over population. WOOHOO!

paladin1991

Quote from: Kate the Bionic Uterus on April 24, 2014, 09:00:46 PM
If you haven't heard about "Nest" then I suggest you look into it. It is an incredible idea and now that Google owns it the idea can actually have a chance to become reality. Venture Capitalists that invest in technology are all over this. Again, like Bitcoin, this idea will require you to see into the future or it will waft swiftly over your head. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2014/01/18/google-buys-nest-just-as-internet-of-things-suffers-first-global-cyber-attack/

I learned this from my older brother; When his friends announced a pregnancy he used to buy them Disney stock in the baby's name. As a stock holder you get certain travel benefits. Last year when my sister gave birth to her second child I bought baby James some stock in Google. There are no travel deals but Google is creating the future. Imo everyone should own some.
I dunno.  It can't make me a cappacino, walk on my back or cut me a line off of my latest 8ball.  I already have a wife who doesn't do those things, why would I need this?

aldousburbank

Quote from: paladin1991 on April 25, 2014, 11:29:08 AM
I dunno.  It can't make me a cappacino, walk on my back or cut me a line off of my latest 8ball.  I already have a wife who doesn't do those things, why would I need this?
Shit dude, I fucking love you, in a heterosexual and manly way cuz like, you might be able to fill in for me while I'm on sabbatical.

paladin1991

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 25, 2014, 11:35:01 AM
Shit dude, I fucking love you, in a heterosexual and manly way cuz like, you might be able to fill in for me while I'm on sabbatical.
*sniff* I love you too, man!  But why you wanna leave us and when will you come back?  You're gonna come back, aintcha? 

"Shane!  Come back Shane!"