• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

Ebola

Started by VtaGeezer, March 27, 2014, 11:56:35 PM

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on August 04, 2014, 04:03:59 PM
I thought it was the whole "Jew" thing that you were insulting. Actually a good idea to change such an ethnic Jewish sounding name, especially if he was able to visit your country (he is banned  >:()
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/07/londons-pro-palestine-rally-was-a-disgusting-anti-semitic-spectacle/

I guess sort of the same logic in changing the last name of your Royal family from that awful sounding Haus Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha to House of Windsor. Think, if they didn't, we would be having to make a Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha knot. Sounds like a too complicated a knot unless you are a master seamen or an Eagle Scout. Windsor, so much easier. Maybe that's why they changed their name?

Say again? Your first sentence shows again you shouldn't believe what you think.

Quote from: coaster on August 04, 2014, 11:18:31 PM
Im a bit too drunk to read this thread, it may have been mentioned. but I guess some guy in New York has ebola. Flew out from Africa. Im not one to get paranoid, but I figure we will see a lot of cases here in the US before its over.

He's being tested as a precaution. It takes a couple or 3 days for the test results to return from the CDC.

coaster

Quote from: FightTheFuture on August 05, 2014, 01:07:24 AM

He's being tested as a precaution. It takes a couple or 3 days for the test results to return from the CDC.
great news.. sorry for being scared.  I have a child. Fuck them " testing", the second he got off the plane, he could have infected people. oh wait, it wasnt the one on the plane. so we have three cases in different areas. brilliant.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: coaster on August 05, 2014, 01:41:44 AM
great news.. sorry for being scared.  I have a child. Fuck them " testing", the second he got off the plane, he could have infected people. oh wait, it wasnt the one on the plane. so we have three cases in different areas. brilliant.

Coaster; you have to be in physical contact with infected bodily fluids or eat infected meat (Fruit bats carry it). I cannot believe how the press are spinning this up to be something it isn't. You and your family have far more chance of contracting Hep C, and you really don't want that either.

coaster

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 05, 2014, 01:48:21 AM

the press
I figure thats the reason. Taking care of your family isnt enough now a days.  It worries me. Scaring folks. I am not a doctor. All we have is the news.

albrecht

Coaster; you have to be in physical contact with infected bodily fluids or eat infected meat (Fruit bats carry it). I cannot believe how the press are spinning this up to be something it isn't. You and your family have far more chance of contracting Hep C, and you really don't want that either.
Granted more possibility for harm from the TB, and all the other diseases, spread by illegals crossing the open-border or just the normal influenza outbreaks and diseases spread by our almost instant travel. But contrary to the news and cavalier attitude of some posters scientists have successfully infected non-human primates with ebola from pigs WITHOUT DIRECT CONTACT. Though this outbreak/strain is as mentioned spread by actual contact with bodily fluids etc.
http://www.nature.com/srep/2012/121115/srep00811/full/srep00811.html
"Ebola viruses (EBOV) cause often fatal hemorrhagic fever in several species of simian primates including human. While fruit bats are considered natural reservoir, involvement of other species in EBOV transmission is unclear. In 2009, Reston-EBOV was the first EBOV detected in swine with indicated transmission to humans. In-contact transmission of Zaire-EBOV (ZEBOV) between pigs was demonstrated experimentally. Here we show ZEBOV transmission from pigs to cynomolgus macaques without direct contact. Interestingly, transmission between macaques in similar housing conditions was never observed. Piglets inoculated oro-nasally with ZEBOV were transferred to the room housing macaques in an open inaccessible cage system. All macaques became infected. Infectious virus was detected in oro-nasal swabs of piglets, and in blood, swabs, and tissues of macaques. This is the first report of experimental interspecies virus transmission, with the macaques also used as a human surrogate. Our finding may influence prevention and control measures during EBOV outbreaks."

This may be hopeful news. The doctor who was airlifted into the US is responding well to an experimental treatment called ZMapp, produced from a small California biopharmaceutical firm. The experimental treatment was given in Liberia, and he responded well to it. ZMapp has only been used on monkeys and hasn't gone through clinical trials yet so apparently there was fast tracking to get it in use. It looks like the doctor and the other aid worker are the clinical trials which is most likely why they were airlifted to Emory, and may explain why the doctor was able to exit the ambulance on his own.

QuoteThe CNN report said that Brantly improved dramatically within an hour of receiving the Mapp drug. Mapp was part of a consortium of 15 research outfits that in March won a five-year grant from the National Institutes of Health worth up to $28 million to find a treatment for Ebola.

http://news.yahoo.com/ebola-therapy-hopes-shift-small-california-biotech-221104595--finance.html

The General

Again, from the CDC's own website....

"The prevention of Ebola HF presents many challenge because it is still unknown how exactly people are infected with Ebola HF."

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/prevention/index.html

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: The General on August 05, 2014, 09:45:03 AM
Again, from the CDC's own website....

"The prevention of Ebola HF presents many challenge because it is still unknown how exactly people are infected with Ebola HF."

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/prevention/index.html

How many people contracted Hep C today in your state? Or TB? Or HIV? Or were shot? Or were run over? Or fell down stairs and broke their neck? No concern over any of those?

Meanwhile, things may be looking up for the two reptriated medics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28661616

Quote from: coaster on August 05, 2014, 03:07:48 AM
I figure thats the reason. Taking care of your family isnt enough now a days.  It worries me. Scaring folks. I am not a doctor. All we have is the news.

What the media doesn't say is that of a combined population of 178,000,000 people in Sierra Leone, Nigeria and Liberia, somewhere between 900 and 1200 have died from Ebola. To put that into perspective, during the 2009 H1N1 flu epidemic which closed a lot of schools in the area including mine, the deaths from flu ranged,  in the US with a population of 305,000,000, between 9,000 and 18,000.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: yumyumtree on August 04, 2014, 10:32:15 PM
The Savage Nation is unusually good tonight. I'm glad I tuned in. Unfortunately it's on earlier in almost all other markets. I think I'll listen to the second hour of Savage and pass on the first hour of Noory and Hogue.

His show last night was one of the best I can recall.

The General

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 05, 2014, 10:15:53 AM

How many people contracted Hep C today in your state? Or TB? Or HIV? Or were shot? Or were run over? Or fell down stairs and broke their neck? No concern over any of those?

You don't increase risk of exposure unnecessarily to a population because they are statistically more likely to experience some other disaster.  Doesn't that make sense to you?  Do they not teach logic in UK schools? 

albrecht

Quote from: Kelt on August 05, 2014, 11:27:55 AM
Is Logic part of the curriculum in American schools?
These days, who knows? They used, at least simple logic early on and truth-tables, and more advanced if you continued in math or computer skills. But honestly I have no idea these days. I've seen some math homework for younger relatives that is mind-blowing how they are "teaching" basic things like long division. Makes it so darn complicated. They care more about the "process" and not the result being correct or getting the result in a quick manner.

Kelt

From what I've seen of the modern educational system there's very little attempt made to instill critical thinking or logic in the minds of students.

Imagine how easy it is to control a population that has to have its thinking done for it by government and media outlets. A populace that doesn't have the mental tools to question what they're told, how to act, or what to believe.

You can study things like David Beckham and The Simpsons, though, so that kind of makes up for the loss of critical thought.

D'oh!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: The General on August 05, 2014, 11:15:57 AM
You don't increase risk of exposure unnecessarily to a population because they are statistically more likely to experience some other disaster.  Doesn't that make sense to you?  Do they not teach logic in UK schools?

You haven't answered yet; so what would you have done with the two medics if it was your choice what or where they went after contracting Ebola?

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 05, 2014, 11:44:49 AM

You haven't answered yet; so what would you have done with the two medics if it was your choice what or where they went after contracting Ebola?

Exactly.

These two people are American citizens, for God's sake! Are we  to turn our backs on them and condemn them to suffer a hideous death in a faraway land when it's not necessary? What would any of you folks that would deny them entry back to their country for treatment, say to their family members? It's freaking unconscionable.

Kelt

Heroes until they catch something icky... then they can gtfo. 

Health workers trying to save lives? "They knew the risks".

Yet, strangely, they'll weep for dead soldiers, despite those soldiers "Knowing the risks"

Or firefighters who "Knew the risks" when they go into a blazing, say, WTC, and have it collapse on them.

That's the spirit of America, is it?  "You're a hero unless you have something that might personally impact ME, then you can just fuck off... you knew the risks".

...and the home of the Buuuhrrraaaaave :)

albrecht

Quote from: Kelt on August 05, 2014, 11:41:23 AM
From what I've seen of the modern educational system there's very little attempt made to instill critical thinking or logic in the minds of students.

Imagine how easy it is to control a population that has to have its thinking done for it by government and media outlets. A populace that doesn't have the mental tools to question what they're told, how to act, or what to believe.

You can study things like David Beckham and The Simpsons, though, so that kind of makes up for the loss of critical thought.

D'oh!
I ordered this in an attempt to make math fun for a younger relative. Hasn't arrived yet so we will see.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Simpsons-Their-Mathematical-Secrets/dp/1620402777

But yes, the schools have been "dumbed down" and the forced mainstreaming of those not able to learn or behave in the classroom, "social promotion" to the next grade even if not passing, teaching to some centralized test, and the importation of children, usually illegal, that don't even speak the language or are literate in their native tongue does not help things. It has been going on a long time.
http://www.amazon.com/Dumbing-Down-Curriculum-Compulsory-Anniversary/dp/0865714487/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407262316&sr=1-1&keywords=dumbing+us+down

The General

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 05, 2014, 11:44:49 AM

I did, actually.  They should have been treated in Africa.  If you don't like that idea, how about if they had been quarantined on a US Navy hospital ship?  Bringing them to a large US metropolitan area is unnecessarily risky. 

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: The General on August 05, 2014, 12:14:15 PM
I did, actually.  They should have been treated in Africa.  If you don't like that idea, how about if they had been quarantined on a US Navy hospital ship?  Bringing them to a large US metropolitan area is unnecessarily risky.

They couldn't treat them in Africa, the facilities they're getting now aren't there. Nor would they be on a ship, or the staff that the two people need. I imagine they were brought home because they had all the gear and the staff in one place that is purpose built for it..one of four in the US apparently.

Kelt

The thing is that kids WANT to learn.  It's the failure of both school and parent when a child fails to learn something.

I've a young son who constantly badgers me about things he doesn't know.  The questions range from Dinosaurs (obviously) to the size of the Universe. Most of his sentences begin, "I have a question."  Answers to these questions usually result in multiple follow up questions, and the thing is that he doesn't simply nod his head dumbly, he has a need to understand what he's being told.  Yesterday was a perfect example.  For about 15 minutes he asked questions, and when he didn't understand the answer he demanded clarification, almost to the nth degree, until he had a good grasp of the subject in hand.  Then he went off and explained it to his mother.

Now I don't think I have a 'special little boy who is oh so much more clever than everyone else's kid.' I think his curiosity and need to know is entirely typical of kids.

I think it is tremendous that you're taking an interest in educating the kids in your family, because the failure in the education system can really only be addressed in the home.  The government is never going to go back to teaching people how to think for themselves, or ask questions... it's down to the individual schmuck like ourselves to ensure that our kids don't grow up to be mindless muppets, sitting watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians, or Survivor.

albrecht

Quote from: Kelt on August 05, 2014, 12:21:58 PM
The thing is that kids WANT to learn.  It's the failure of both school and parent when a child fails to learn something.

I've a young son who constantly badgers me about things he doesn't know.  The questions range from Dinosaurs (obviously) to the size of the Universe. Most of his sentences begin, "I have a question."  Answers to these questions usually result in multiple follow up questions, and the thing is that he doesn't simply nod his head dumbly, he has a need to understand what he's being told.  Yesterday was a perfect example.  For about 15 minutes he asked questions, and when he didn't understand the answer he demanded clarification, almost to the nth degree, until he had a good grasp of the subject in hand.  Then he went off and explained it to his mother.

Now I don't think I have a 'special little boy who is oh so much more clever than everyone else's kid.' I think his curiosity and need to know is entirely typical of kids.

I think it is tremendous that you're taking an interest in educating the kids in your family, because the failure in the education system can really only be addressed in the home.  The government is never going to go back to teaching people how to think for themselves, or ask questions... it's down to the individual schmuck like ourselves to ensure that our kids don't grow up to be mindless muppets, sitting watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians, or Survivor.
I had an uncle in the 60's who wouldn't allow a television in the house and I think had one radio for Redsox games in the barn. His three kids: two are lawyers and one is a surgeon all went to Ivy League (well, one out of 3 aint bad.) Not that I'm saying you need to go to an Ivy League school but for post-grad, medical or law school the name opens doors. I also am not saying that you have to be a "professional". I've met some farmers and a few auto-mechanics who were smart and intellectually curious. My point is tv is numbing non-sense for the most part. Especially for developing minds (and I think also old people. Actually for anyone.) Setting a child in front of the television (or parking the older person in front of the television at the nursing home) is a bad thing. Children also should be exposed to nature, farms, and things besides modern smartphones etc. And play regular games like card games, board games, chess, etc. It takes a while but once you get them away from a smartphone and play a board game they will like it. And you need to talk to people even!

The General

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 05, 2014, 12:18:52 PM
They couldn't treat them in Africa, the facilities they're getting now aren't there. Nor would they be on a ship, or the staff that the two people need. I imagine they were brought home because they had all the gear and the staff in one place that is purpose built for it..one of four in the US apparently.
Ok.  You're right.  Let's just bring in all of the infected people.  Because really what's important here is that we have compassion.  After all, what would Jesus do?  It's just not fair that there are no specialized CDC hospitals in Africa.  What's the worry?  Just don't touch their bodily fluids.  Or the bodily fluids of those that they will inevitably contaminate.  Or those that are contaminated by the people they contaminate.  But let's just keep it in Atlanta, after all... they're mostly brown people there, so who cares?  What's a few more brown people with Ebola?  Besides, you don't live in Atlanta, so fuck them all!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: The General on August 05, 2014, 12:29:27 PM
Ok.  You're right.  Let's just bring in all of the infected people.  Because really what's important here is that we have compassion.  After all, what would Jesus do?  It's just not fair that there are no specialized CDC hospitals in Africa.  What's the worry?  Just don't touch their bodily fluids.  Or the bodily fluids of those that they will inevitably contaminate.  Or those that are contaminated by the people they contaminate.  But let's just keep it in Atlanta, after all... they're mostly brown people there, so who cares?  What's a few more brown people with Ebola?  Besides, you don't live in Atlanta, so fuck them all!

Whats that?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Kelt on August 05, 2014, 12:21:58 PM

You're right to a point, but education starts with early years, pre school. And not all parents are really bothered about their children's education. My ex (A GP) went to a patient's house on a home visit to see one of the children. One of the other's asked my ex how you learned to be a doctor; My ex explained about science, particularly chemistry and biology, and a language is useful too at A level. Then apply to med school, 5/ 6 years there, then if she survived that, clerkships in various hospitals, getting up to SHO and then afterwards, decide if she wanted to be hospital bound or move into general practice..both need more learning and more exams.

She went back a few years later and the girl (About 14 by now) with her text books out on the table doing homework. She beamed when she saw my ex and announced she was going to be a doctor. The girl's mother then said 'Oh doctor, tell her to stop wasting her time with all that rubbish, she should be out with her friends shouldn't she?'

How do you legislate for that?

wr250

Quote from: The General on August 05, 2014, 12:29:27 PM

just have a lifetime supply of toomeric and carnivora on hand.

Kelt

I think there's a balance that needs to be struck between education and socialising.  While education is important so is being a functioning human being.  Kids need to socialise as much as they need to learn.

If her daughter spends ALL her time with her nose in books then an important aspect of human behaviour is being neglected.  I would hope that by 14 years old most kids will want to drink a 2 liter bottle of cider with their mates, then come home shitfaced and throw up in the bathtub. 

Being well-rounded is important.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Kelt on August 05, 2014, 01:01:13 PM
I think there's a balance that needs to be struck between education and socialising.  While education is important so is being a functioning human being.  Kids need to socialise as much as they need to learn.

If her daughter spends ALL her time with her nose in books then an important aspect of human behaviour is being neglected.  I would hope that by 14 years old most kids will want to drink a 2 liter bottle of cider with their mates, then come home shitfaced and throw up in the bathtub. 

Being well-rounded is important.

I would agree; but in this case, the mother wasn't advocating balance, she was advocating her not needing an education. Did we really get shit faced on cider at 14? I'm showing my advancing years.