• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

Ebola

Started by VtaGeezer, March 27, 2014, 11:56:35 PM

The General

Quote from: missing transmission on August 04, 2014, 01:17:09 PM
And neither does Mike Savage - his Ph.D thesis was was called "Nutritional Ethnomedicine in Fiji"
From his bio...
"Dr. Savage holds a master’s degree in medical botany and a second in medical anthropology. Additionally, he earned his PhD. from the University of California at Berkeley in epidemiology and nutrition sciences."

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: The General on August 04, 2014, 01:39:49 PM

From his bio...
"Dr. Savage holds a master’s degree in medical botany and a second in medical anthropology. Additionally, he earned his PhD. from the University of California at Berkeley in epidemiology and nutrition sciences."

From Wiki:

He holds master's degrees from the University of Hawaii in medical botany and medical anthropology and a Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley, in nutritional ethnomedicine. As Michael Weiner, he has written books on herbal medicine and homeopathy; as Michael Savage, he has written four political books that have reached the New York Times Best Seller List.[4][5][6][7]

Well they can't both be right.

Unfortunate surname; not sure Savage was a better move.

The General

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 04, 2014, 01:46:32 PM
Unfortunate surname; not sure Savage was a better move.
From a guy who thought Pud was short for pudding.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: The General on August 04, 2014, 01:49:59 PM
From a guy who thought Pud was short for pudding.

It is here. We speak English, not American.. Incidentally, it isn't my real name.. Savage isn't a very pleasant individual. I think he has a lot of self loathing going on, or maybe he's just not a pleasant individual.

Yorkshire pud

Yep...his own bio is wrong.. Here's his Ph D thesis...As Missing Transmission said:

http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/3287378

So if he lies about his degree, what else might he not be correct on?

Catsmile

Here is one view of how mankind forged his way in the world, it's 3 parts at 1 hour each.
Guns Germs And Steel is the name of the series, or as some would try to twist it's title.
How the Evil White Devil Became THE MAN, and How THE MAN is Keeping "Those Characters" Down.

Or just carry on fear-mongering, and politicizing because that is far more "scintillating".

Part 1:
Guns Germs And Steel part 1

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCBod2jFFyQ&index=5&list=UURv2ATiXnERKy-aqombEUYA

Part 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ9espgY-Po&index=6&list=UURv2ATiXnERKy-aqombEUYA

The General

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 04, 2014, 02:00:43 PM
Yep...his own bio is wrong.. Here's his Ph D thesis...As Missing Transmission said:

http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/3287378

So if he lies about his degree, what else might he not be correct on?

The title of his thesis is not the same as the title of his degree. 

yumyumtree

Quote from: albrecht on August 04, 2014, 10:58:41 AM
This is already happening, especially in places where in the past someone could "get away" with maybe not vaccinate their children due to their paranoid beliefs but with global travel, immigration, population shifts, illegal immigration, etc the anti-vaccine movement is causing problems. Can you imagine being some parent who listened to the like of an "expert" like Jenny McCarthy and their child dies or gets seriously ill that could've easily been prevented?

News reports one of the problems in the current Ebola outbreak was also superstition, mistrust of doctors (especially considering of history of Europeans/Whites and Africa), witchcraft, and also the traditional handling and ceremony with dead bodies.
Don't forget that C to C, particularly George, have hosted anti-vaxxers regularly, without much  time given to opposing view.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: The General on August 04, 2014, 02:23:46 PM
The title of his thesis is not the same as the title of his degree.

The title of his PhD thesis.

Nutritional ethnomedicine in Fiji

By isolating various elements of several disciplines--notably medical anthropology, ethnobotany, nutrition and epidemiology--an interdisciplinary approach to nutritional ethnomedicine in the Fiji Islands has been constructed. Beginning with an overview of the physical characteristics of Oceania, especially the geography of island types as they affect ethnobotanical practices, the work proceeds through an overview of the people and their health including vital statistics. Food and nutrition as health-related phenomena are next presented, including a description of a current research project into the causes of infant malnutrition. Infectious diseases, cases and deaths, for the years 1972 through 1975 are presented in tabular form.
Since the "tools" used to gather and order much of these data are largely anthropological, a review of the literature in cognitive anthropology is included, followed by a lexicon of Fijian disease terms including names of islands where local names were recorded. To attempt an understanding of the genesis of herbal remedies in Fiji the materia medica of a celebrated practitioner, including an edited transcript of field interviews, follows. The next section consists of a detailed socio-botanic essay on the single most important plant species from a cultural perspective, kavakava or yangona (Piper methysticum). A chapter on nutritional considerations in the islands is further subdivided into (A) an appraisal of the vitamin and mineral content of edible leaves, (B) a speculative review of the possible relationship between cyanogenetic glycosides and neurological disorders, and (C) the agricultural considerations of a hypothetical migrant Melanesian people.
Finally, the medicinal applications of 188 plant species are enumerated. Included are the plant parts used, Fijian names, the illnesses, and the preparations of the remedies.

No mention of what his biography says. Namely an epidemiologist.  Weiner's essay was classified as Health Sciences, Nutrition, and not epidemiology.  His BSc was in biology, his MA in anthropology, his MSc in Ethnobotany...none in epidemiology.

The General

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 04, 2014, 02:29:57 PM

No mention of what his biography says. Namely an epidemiologist.

It says epidemiology right in the first sentence.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 04, 2014, 01:55:10 PM
It is here. We speak English, not American.. Incidentally, it isn't my real name.. Savage isn't a very pleasant individual. I think he has a lot of self loathing going on, or maybe he's just not a pleasant individual.

A bloody shame, that, because the fluid flexibility of American enables us to express ourselves much more creatively and colo(u)rfully than those who speak stiff, stuffy English.  "Yorkshire Pud" makes us snicker because in American it invokes images of naughty bits instead of pudding, and Michael Weiner was able to get people to stop snickering at his last name because he could translate it to Michael Savage in American.  See how it works?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: The General on August 04, 2014, 02:35:27 PM
It says epidemiology right in the first sentence.

But it isn't what his PhD is about. His PhD is about nutrition, not epidemiology. He's being loose with the facts if he's implying otherwise.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on August 04, 2014, 02:41:04 PM
A bloody shame, that, because the fluid flexibility of American enables us to express ourselves much more creatively and colo(u)rfully than those who speak stiff, stuffy English.  "Yorkshire Pud" makes us snicker because in American it invokes images of naughty bits instead of pudding, and Michael Weiner was able to get people to stop snickering at his last name because he could translate it to Michael Savage in American.  See how it works?

I think it was inspired considering he was the product of Russians.

Juan

Those who are quick to point out the epidemic of European diseases among the Amerind population generally fail to point there's almost as much evidence that the Amerinds gave syphilis to the Europeans.

The General

The CDC owns a patent on a strain of the Ebola virus.
Maybe by bringing Ebola here, they're just taking what's rightfully theirs.
After all, it's not fair for the Africans to be using the CDC's property without permission.

http://www.google.com/patents/CA2741523A1?cl=en

The only reason I can think of to patent something is because there's a buck to be made.

Quote from: Juan on August 04, 2014, 02:44:44 PM
Those who are quick to point out the epidemic of European diseases among the Amerind population generally fail to point there's almost as much evidence that the Amerinds gave syphilis to the Europeans.

Shoulda kept their codpieces fastened.  ;)

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 04, 2014, 02:42:30 PM
I thought it was the whole "Jew" thing that you were insulting. Actually a good idea to change such an ethnic Jewish sounding name, especially if he was able to visit your country (he is banned  >:()
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/07/londons-pro-palestine-rally-was-a-disgusting-anti-semitic-spectacle/

I guess sort of the same logic in changing the last name of your Royal family from that awful sounding Haus Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha to House of Windsor. Think, if they didn't, we would be having to make a Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha knot. Sounds like a too complicated a knot unless you are a master seamen or an Eagle Scout. Windsor, so much easier. Maybe that's why they changed their name?

Kelt

That article says they were anti-semites, however all they posted was a picture of a sign criticising Israel, not Jews.

Surely if these were anti-semites who hate Jews rather than Israeli actions in Gaza there would have been signs regarding Judaism specifically, or anti-Jew chants, for example.

I'm puzzled as to why The Spectator would choose not to post pictures of the signs, or mention the kind of hideous anti-semitic language that must have been in evidence.

I'm sure they're not saying that criticism of Israel equates to anti-semitism, because that would be nonsensical...

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 04, 2014, 02:42:30 PM

That would make his real name Mikhail Pudsky.

Quote from: The General on August 04, 2014, 02:48:16 PM
After all, it's not fair for the Africans to be using the CDC's property without permission.

The only reason I can think of to patent something is because there's a buck to be made.

That's a textbook example of how the free market is supposed to work.  And it goes without saying that the CDC also has a patented Ebola vaccine that will bring a handsome profit once they get it established here, so it's a win/win situation for them.  It's ingenious!

albrecht

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on August 04, 2014, 06:55:08 PM
That's a textbook example of how the free market is supposed to work.  And it goes without saying that the CDC also has a patented Ebola vaccine that will bring a handsome profit once they get it established here, so it's a win/win situation for them.  It's ingenious!
More likely they partnered with some drug manufacturer who will the one making a profit (and be indemnified by some government legislation or Executive Action if the vaccine causes any harm.) Since when has any government agency turned a profit, or even tries to look for one so while them might have been involved someone else, maybe a corporation that the CDC guys will go to work for later, or hold stock in, will likely reap profits.

Quote from: albrecht on August 04, 2014, 07:02:41 PM
More likely they partnered with some drug manufacturer who will the one making a profit (and be indemnified by some government legislation or Executive Action if the vaccine causes any harm.) Since when has any government agency turned a profit, or even tries to look for one so while them might have been involved someone else, maybe a corporation that the CDC guys will go to work for later, or hold stock in, will likely reap profits.

Exactly.  The free market in the U.S. has always consisted of big business interests and government officials, elected and appointed, working hand in pocket for their mutual benefit and enrichment at the expense of the rest of us.  In the immortal words of Yakov Smirnoff, "Wot a country!"

Foodlion

Quote from: The General on August 04, 2014, 02:48:16 PM

Maybe hey didn't want the African hospitals to profit off their patented Ebola strain.

Doesn't a patent require documents that explain on how to build the item you're patenting? Blueprints for Ebola are not exactly something that needs to even exist.

albrecht

Quote from: Foodlion on August 04, 2014, 07:44:32 PM
Maybe hey didn't want the African hospitals to profit off their patented Ebola strain.

Doesn't a patent require documents that explain on how to build the item you're patenting? Blueprints for Ebola are not exactly something that needs to even exist.
Alas someone was one-step way ahead of me and www.ebola.com is already up (but the domain is for sale.) .Org, .Net, and .info are just place-holders. At least the .com guy put up a little info. Now, have the Carnivora, or other, hawksters on C2C and the like made any claims regarding Ebola yet? Or maybe Colloidal Silver? I'm sure someone is going to ride this wave of paranoia for a cheap buck.

yumyumtree

The Savage Nation is unusually good tonight. I'm glad I tuned in. Unfortunately it's on earlier in almost all other markets. I think I'll listen to the second hour of Savage and pass on the first hour of Noory and Hogue.

The General

Quote from: yumyumtree on August 04, 2014, 10:32:15 PM
The Savage Nation is unusually good tonight. I'm glad I tuned in. Unfortunately it's on earlier in almost all other markets. I think I'll listen to the second hour of Savage and pass on the first hour of Noory and Hogue.
Yes, it is.

yumyumtree

Well, I guess Hogue isn't on until the second hour but I have a feeling I will conk out at 11.

coaster

Im a bit too drunk to read this thread, it may have been mentioned. but I guess some guy in New York has ebola. Flew out from Africa. Im not one to get paranoid, but I figure we will see a lot of cases here in the US before its over.