• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

Ebola

Started by VtaGeezer, March 27, 2014, 11:56:35 PM

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: wr250 on August 02, 2014, 02:28:59 PM
as was i. i got the chicken pox, and measles. the shot you dont remember what it was was probably tetanus, which is usually given after a puncture wound or severe cut.

Year probably, but I've had a few since then...Industrial accident reasons usually.

it should be noted that vaccines do not prevent a disease. vaccines only cause the body to recognize the pathogen before it can get established enough to be serious (and usually before symptoms manifest) and destroy it via antibodies . it does absolutely no good in those with very weak or compromised immune systems.

Yes, I know. Although it also goes you need a minimum take up for the efficacy.

The General

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 02, 2014, 02:18:24 PM

Yeah, they should have taken a cross section of the average forum user to advise them on their transport strategy.

I don't think the transport strategy is the biggest mistake here, friend. Introducing an incurable virus that is not fully understood into a continent where it's never been before is a mistake of epic proportions.  As mistakes go, on a scale of 1-10 this is about a 74. If it's such a remote possibility that he will infect the doctors that help him, why did he get it?  Keep in mind that he's a doctor who knew as much if not more than anyone about avoiding the virus. In my opinion, it is only being done for some hidden motive, likely there's some money in it for someone.That would be the least nefarious motive.  There are other theories as to why they would do this, but let's not get crazy. 

If you're hoping for a little assurance from the CDC, don't get your hopes up....
"The prevention of Ebola HF presents many challenges. Because it is still unknown how exactly people are infected with Ebola HF, there are few established primary prevention measures."
"When cases of the disease do appear, there is increased risk of transmission within health care settings."

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/prevention/index.html

HorrorRetro

Quote from: The General on August 02, 2014, 02:34:44 PM
If it's such a remote possibility that he will infect the doctors that help him, why did he get it?  Keep in mind that he's a doctor who knew as much if not more than anyone about avoiding the virus.

By last count, at least 100 healthcare workers have been infected. Presumably, all were familiar in the modes of transmission, yet they are infected. I'm not one who freaks out about potential pandemics such as the annual flu paranoia being the "big one." I have given dialysis treatment to both HIV+ and hepatitis patients, exposing myself to quite a bit of their blood. I've even been stuck by a needle, and knowing what knew about the transmission of most diseases, I didn't freak.  However, Ebola is a different animal. I hope some good can come from this, but I'm not embarrassed to say this makes me nervous.

onan

Quote from: HorrorRetro on August 02, 2014, 02:43:10 PM
By last count, at least 100 healthcare workers have been infected. Presumably, all were familiar in the modes of transmission, yet they are infected. I'm not one who freaks out about potential pandemics such as the annual flu paranoia being the "big one." I have given dialysis treatment to both HIV+ and hepatitis patients, exposing myself to quite a bit of their blood. I've even been stuck by a needle, and knowing what knew about the transmission of most diseases, I didn't freak.  However, Ebola is a different animal. I hope some good can come from this, but I'm not embarrassed to say this makes me nervous.

healthcare workers on the front line are always more susceptible. Without being there I can't say for sure what is meant by healthcare worker. Does it mean anyone working to help? Because that would be an important consideration. Front lines hardly ever are prepared with the appropriate tools and protective gear. And anyone that has developed sloppy habits around infection control... well it happens. I wish I could say I haven't ever not used gloves in an emergency.

Kelt

When it starts taking down millions of Americans or Europeans I'll beef up my Emergency store and ride it out... shooting from my window at anyone displaying, or not yet displaying, signs of Ebola.

I consider it my duty to replenish the human race following any potential Ebolacolypse.

I further consider it my duty to only do so with the hottest of slutties... so my message to the hottest of slutties would be, "Stay safe, hot slutties.  Stay safe."

So please, anyone nervous about some impending 'End of the World' type situation, Kelt has this one covered.  We WILL survive this.

At least, Kelt and the hot slutties will. You might be toast.

But Mankind WILL survive.

By my mighty schlong, Mankind WILL survive.

For the rest of you, I leave you with a UN Heath Warning explaining the dangers of Ebola and how to avoid it. 

Remember to look your behind, madam.

Look your behind.

WildCard

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 02, 2014, 02:19:24 PM
Oh come on; why not go straight to bombs and bullets? That way someone will get a hard on.
You damn skippy!

I hope some good can come from this, but I'm not embarrassed to say this makes me nervous.
+1

I feel the same way.

albrecht

The ebola brings me good memories af old Art Bell shows. But that is overwhelmed with some fear. Almost like my playing Plague on my phone n winning too much. Sure Lindsey Williams et al (some more legit guests)  were wrong in those shows but...

Yorkshire pud

The unit being used currently has been used for previous dangerous diseases by the way.  It isn't the first time it's benn used.

Kelt

I can't believe people are scared of something that has killed less than a thousand people and is actually not all that easy to catch, even in areas where people are unsanitary and still think witches and demons cause disease.

India periodically has outbreaks of plague, Africa has Ebola, China gives us H1N1.

The death tolls from these 'horror' outbreaks are a few thousand at most, and then everyone gets on with their shit.

It's in the interests of media outlets to overplay these things, working themselves into a frenzy of fear and outrageous speculation, "Could this kill us all, 'doctor' of dubious credentials who we're paying to come into the studio and tell us we're all going to die"? It's catnip for highly-strung Americans to overreact to.

If you fall for this overhyped shit I suggest Lorazepam. Does nothing to protect you from Plague, Aids, SARS, Ebola or THE SHITS... I capitalised THE SHITS to make it sound terrifying, thanks for that tip, FOX 'News'.... nor will it protect you from Global Warming, Meteoric Impact, Tsunami, Nuclear War, or Bioterrorism,  but it will calm you the fuck down.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: The General on August 02, 2014, 09:20:22 PM
[attachimg=1]

Ebola isn't fucked up, given the right conditions it's quite efficient. Making a poster that suggests leaving a doctor who was helping others  in a poor African country to fend for himself is fucked up though.

Kelt

I did laugh at that poster.

American catches serious, often fatal, disease... people shit their pants and cry about trying to save that American's life.

That's some pretty patriotic shit right there.

The guy's a genuine hero, and these fuckers bitch about getting him home for medical attention.

I guess soldiers are okay, because, hey, we won;t catch anything off THOSE heroes.

Oh, and firemen too.. they're heroes too... unless they get sick, in which case fuck em.

It brings a tear to the eye to see that degree of self-serving, cowardly 'patriotism' expressed in Motivational Poster form.

Kudos, though... because that poster was created and shared without a single atom of irony contaminating the purity of it's sheer breathtaking cowardice :)

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 02, 2014, 11:45:40 PM
Ebola isn't fucked up, given the right conditions it's quite efficient. Making a poster that suggests leaving a doctor who was helping in others  in a poor African country to fend for himself is fucked up though.
Quite. But so is insulting, and oddly not  you being even aware of his own vaunted NHS vaccination scheme, Considering we  are (unlike your NHS)  are bring Ebola victims here. Now I agree, somewhat, with the open-borders problems but was funny how you thought your country still did TB vaccines! Also, sadly, your best medical journal the Lancet started, or at least legitimized, this whole anti vaccine movement. It has been  dismissed, thankfully,  but the best medical journal published it.

coaster

Quote from: Kelt on August 02, 2014, 11:55:05 PM
I did laugh at that poster.

American catches serious, often fatal, disease... people shit their pants and cry about trying to save that American's life.

That's some pretty patriotic shit right there.

The guy's a genuine hero, and these fuckers bitch about getting him home for medical attention.

I guess soldiers are okay, because, hey, we won;t catch anything off THOSE heroes.

Oh, and firemen too.. they're heroes too... unless they get sick, in which case fuck em.

It brings a tear to the eye to see that degree of self-serving, cowardly 'patriotism' expressed in Motivational Poster form.

Kudos, though... because that poster was created and shared without a single atom of irony contaminating the purity of it's sheer breathtaking cowardice :)
Is there a reason why you type like this? Double-spacing every sentence? Fuck its annoying.

WildCard

Quote from: coaster on August 03, 2014, 12:36:28 AM
Is there a reason why you type like this? Double-spacing every sentence? Fuck its annoying.
You're only encouraging him.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on August 03, 2014, 12:07:28 AM
Quite. But so is insulting, and oddly not  you being even aware of his own vaunted NHS vaccination scheme, Considering we  are (unlike your NHS)  are bring Ebola victims here. Now I agree, somewhat, with the open-borders problems but was funny how you thought your country still did TB vaccines! Also, sadly, your best medical journal the Lancet started, or at least legitimized, this whole anti vaccine movement. It has been  dismissed, thankfully,  but the best medical journal published it.

I said I had a TB jab. I did. The Lancet publishes a lot of things. To it's eternal shame it published the Andrew Wakefield shit about the MMR jab causing autism. However to it's credit it later admitted it's failings on that one; which is more than can be said about conspiracy theorists who claim shit and don't apologise when they're wrong (Which is 99.999% of the time).

Incidentally how do you know there'll be no Ebola victims brought to the Uk for treatment? We have the virus being tested on in labs to find a vaccine, what makes you think there's no plans to try and treat patients?

The General

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 02, 2014, 11:45:40 PM
Ebola isn't fucked up, given the right conditions it's quite efficient. Making a poster that suggests leaving a doctor who was helping others  in a poor African country to fend for himself is fucked up though.

Anybody who travels to Africa or any third world nation, whether it's for humanitarian reasons or not, knows the risks they are taking.  But it's their life they play with.  By bringing him here, it's not just his life we are playing with any longer.  Viruses don't care if you are compassionate or not.  Perhaps he should have been taken to your house and you could feed him some chicken soup? 

Quote from: coaster on August 03, 2014, 12:36:28 AM

It's an element of good composition to parse thoughts into paragraphs.  The fact that he only needs one sentence in each paragraph to express his thought means that he's exceptionally economical in his ability to communicate his thoughts, or the subject matter at hand is simple and doesn't require complex expression.  Take your pick. 

I think you're being overly critical.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: The General on August 03, 2014, 12:50:33 AM
Anybody who travels to Africa or any third world nation, whether it's for humanitarian reasons or not, knows the risks they are taking.  But it's their life they play with.  By bringing him here, it's not just his life we are playing with any longer.  Viruses don't care if you are compassionate or not.

What you mean is I think is: I don't give a shit about anyone but me, because when it comes down to it, only I matter. Fuck him.

It's like the line from Airplane. "They knew what they were doing when they bought their tickets, I say let em crash"   

Let's hope one day you don't contract a notifiable disease you need treatment for eh?

Help you? How? The medics weren't allowed to treat people before you to know what to do.

The General

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 03, 2014, 12:55:36 AM

What you mean is I think is: I don't give a shit about anyone but me, because when it comes down to it, only I matter. Fuck him.

Your reading comprehension is almost as bad as your butchering of the English language.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: The General on August 03, 2014, 01:00:04 AM
Your reading comprehension is almost as bad as your butchering of the English language.

Hey I still call a toilet a toilet and not a rest or bathroom.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 03, 2014, 12:55:36 AM

Dude, don't be like that. 

These are educated people who fully understood the risks they were taking, and took them anyway for reasons you don't know.  Now you would have us insert ourselves into that process because of some abstract moral principal that might not apply here.  Your heart is in the right place, but you might be the bull in the china shop.  Certainly you shouldn't speak about The General or anyone else as being uncaring just because they approach this situation differently than you do. 

coaster

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on August 03, 2014, 12:55:20 AM
It's an element of good composition to parse thoughts into paragraphs.  The fact that he only needs one sentence in each paragraph to express his thought means that he's exceptionally economical in his ability to communicate his thoughts, or the subject matter at hand is simple and doesn't require complex expression.  Take your pick. 

I think you're being overly critical.
Thanks professor.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on August 03, 2014, 01:13:11 AM
Dude, don't be like that. 

These are educated people who fully understood the risks they were taking, and took them anyway for reasons you don't know.  Now you would have us insert ourselves into that process because of some abstract moral principal that might not apply here.  Your heart is in the right place, but you might be the bull in the china shop.  Certainly you shouldn't speak about The General or anyone else as being uncaring just because they approach this situation differently than you do.

If an outbreak of Ebola breaks out in GA I'll gladly say I was wrong.

Juan

Quote from: The General on August 03, 2014, 12:50:33 AM
Anybody who travels to Africa or any third world nation, whether it's for humanitarian reasons or not, knows the risks they are taking. 
Why then, did Stanley Ann Obama fly to Kenya to have her baby?

The General

Quote from: Juan on August 03, 2014, 04:52:38 AM
Why then, did Stanley Ann Obama fly to Kenya to have her baby?
Because she was a birther.  And you know how unreasonable those people are.