• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

Ebola

Started by VtaGeezer, March 27, 2014, 11:56:35 PM

Foodlion

Quote from: Quick Karl on July 03, 2014, 07:52:30 PM
I am out on a ranch, miles east of Austin - anyone comes walkin' up the driveway with Ebola is going to have a nice round hole in their head, a hole will be dug with the backhoe and they will be buried before the flies get to them...

I AM THE LIGHT

Hope you have several thousand rounds. I heard in Austin, those techies have taken over the city lol. Nab the ones with the Google Eyeglasses first, then anyone wearing a tie. You'll be doing the world a big favor.

Quick Karl

Quote from: Foodlion on July 04, 2014, 08:54:24 AM
Hope you have several thousand rounds. I heard in Austin, those techies have taken over the city lol. Nab the ones with the Google Eyeglasses first, then anyone wearing a tie. You'll be doing the world a big favor.

;D

I have enough rounds to last me a while...

Austin is one strange ass place -- I'll never get a date again unless I meet a girl from Dallas. I aint getting anywhere near no liberal female, they smell horrible - I'd rather never have sex ever again.

Best group I ever shot in my life:

That's 5-shots ladies and gentlemen -- "5 eyeball shots". The orange dot is 1/2" diameter... Yes, I pulled the high shot (last shot), and wrecked a fantastic group...

Bring it.

I AM THE LIGHT

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Quick Karl on July 04, 2014, 11:40:25 PM
;D

Austin is one strange ass place -- I'll never get a date again unless I meet a girl from Dallas necrophilia is made legal.

That's 5-shots ladies and gentlemen -- "5 eyeball shots". The orange dot is 1/2" diameter... Yes, I pulled the high shot (last shot), and wrecked a fantastic group...

Bring it.

I wonder what your five round grouping would look like without a telescopic sight? I did it without aged 14 with a .303.

Quick Karl

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 05, 2014, 01:13:03 AM
I wonder what your five round grouping would look like without a telescopic sight? I did it without aged 14 with a .303.

Your reply proves beyond all doubt that you don't have a fucking clue what you are talking about, and are completely full of shit.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Quick Karl on July 05, 2014, 06:07:54 AM
Your reply proves beyond all doubt that you don't have a fucking clue what you are talking about, and are completely full of shit.

You know what a 303 is I take it? How does it say if you used a scope or not?

Foodlion

Quote from: Quick Karl on July 04, 2014, 11:40:25 PM
;D

Austin is one strange ass place -- I'll never get a date again unless I meet a girl from Dallas. I aint getting anywhere near no liberal female, they smell horrible - I'd rather never have sex ever again.

Bring it.

I AM THE LIGHT

I could always hit the 100yd target on range with the dummy popup targets, which means I hit a human sized target on any part. But that 1/2 inch is a very, very, very impressive shot even 50yrs away. We of course used the M16s ole reliable iron sights.
but a half inch dot 300ft away with a clearly zeroed weapon and consistent grouped hits is by all standards.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Foodlion on July 05, 2014, 08:08:25 AM
I could always hit the 100yd target on range with the dummy popup targets, which means I hit a human sized target on any part. But that 1/2 inch is a very, very, very impressive shot. We of course used the M16s ole reliable iron sights.
but a half inch dot 300ft away with a clearly zeroed weapon and consistent grouped hits is by all standards.

Exactly; I too could group five rounds close enough to make a hole about 2-2½ inches across. No automatic loading, bolt action. Sticking four or five rounds through the same hole might look impressive, but it's not as difficult as doing it without a scope and self loading mags.   

Put it this way, no-one volunteered to stand where the target was when we practiced.  ;D

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 05, 2014, 08:24:54 AM
Exactly; I too could group five rounds close enough to make a hole about 2-2½ inches across. No automatic loading, bolt action. Sticking four or five rounds through the same hole might look impressive, but it's not as difficult as doing it without a scope and self loading mags.   

Put it this way, no-one volunteered to stand where the target was when we practiced.  ;D
Everyso often a cache of Lee-Enfields hits the market. Fun gun and reliable. But heavy. And .303 ammo is dirty and more $. So clean them promptly after use! I don't know how people back in the day did it! They were smaller and still. Even the Jap rifle I got was heavy (esp considering their size) and off balance esp with fixed bayonet!

ps: with that character Obama's open-border policy I reckon some of the Ebola infected could just become a "dreamer". Why stop at Swine Flu, scabies, lice, VDs, chikungunya, TB, Whooping Cough, and the other stuff currently transported over to the US via our "dreamer" friends? Certainly Ebola would serve better that character Obama's goals of ruining the country? What better 4th of July could he have had but to learn that that stuff had spread over here?

yumyumtree

I read an article claiming that it is actually unlikely that Ebola will come to the U.S. that doesn't mean that it isn't plenty horrible where it is or that we shouldn't care. But this article compared it to SARS, which I guess is easier to catch. I had no idea how high the death toll from SARS was. Anyway Ebola may be a bit easier to catch than HIV or Hep C but not as easy as, say the disease in the Stephen King novel The Stand. It's not airborne as I understand it. I realize that this is not much consolation if you are the guy who gets it, but still. I also read that IF Ebola moves on from the African continent, that Paris is the major city at most risk because of world travel patterns.

As far as diseases on the border go, it's probably a more real threat right now than the Ebola deal. I am bothered by the secrecy down there too. You do have to be careful of the politcal agendas people have. They are not above scaring people and some of these diseases are pretty scary. On the other hand, disease had been an immigration-related problem(I think) even before the most recent border crisis. TB, a disease we had pretty much licked, started making a comeback in the 90s. Some social trends, like IV drug use, were a factor in this. Also anti-vaxxers a d third world illegal immigrants aren't a good combination, IMO.

Quick Karl

"Hitting" a human silhouette target at 100-yards, and shooting a sub-1/4" group out of a semi-automatic rifle, at 100-yards, are two, entirely, different animals.

An Enfield doesn't have the potential to shoot such a group, in anyone's wildest imaginations.

And, you would have to know what hand-loading match-quality ammunition was all about, before you could even begin to start practicing the breathing and trigger techniques required to shoot sub-quarter-inch groups.

The trigger alone on that rifle cost $300.00, and it has a hand-lapped, stainless steel polygon rifled barrel made by the same guy that makes all of the sniper rifle barrels for the U.S. Secret Service, and U.S. Marine Corps Sniper rifles - a personal friend of yours truly.

Lastly, anyone that wasn't talking out of their asshole would know that a highly tuned bolt-action rifle IS inherently more accurate than ANY highly tuned "semi-automatic" rifle, so the fact that my AR-15 can shoot near bench-rest quality groups, is even more impressive.

Trust me gents, it's a bad ass rifle, and a bad ass group. Ebola zombies, and Red Coats, beware...

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Quick Karl on July 05, 2014, 01:28:22 PM
"Hitting" a human silhouette target at 100-yards, and shooting a sub-1/4" group out of a semi-automatic rifle, at 100-yards, are two, entirely, different animals.

An Enfield doesn't have the potential to shoot such a group, in anyone's wildest imaginations.

And, you would have to know what hand-loading match-quality ammunition was all about, before you could even begin to start practicing the breathing and trigger techniques required to shoot sub-quarter-inch groups.

The trigger alone on that rifle cost $300.00.

$300? Woopeedoo... Took position behind the mat with the targets in front 100 yards distant. On the mat was a rifle with an open breach and magazine. Took position, loaded, confirmed we were ready, safety off...Instructor said 'five rounds grouping to the target in front of you, in your own time carry on'. So we did. After five shots we emptied the last case, safety on and put the rifle down.

We did the breathing, we were taught by RAF instructors. I didn't say they were sub quarter inch shots..I said about two and half inches. In a situation if I was to take someone down, that's close enough...six would be enough if the centre was in the main body mass. I've seen what a round does to the body, one placed well is enough.

coaster

Vice reported on the ebola outbreak. Evidently its linked to West Africans eating bushmeat. Sorry if this link may already have been posted, I haven't read the entire thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XasTcDsDfMg

Quick Karl

Quote from: Foodlion on July 05, 2014, 08:08:25 AM
I could always hit the 100yd target on range with the dummy popup targets, which means I hit a human sized target on any part. But that 1/2 inch is a very, very, very impressive shot even 50yrs away. We of course used the M16s ole reliable iron sights.

With the same rifle and iron sights I can shoot about 1-inch groups at 100-yards, but it isn't easy to do.

Nevertheless, the short-range (100-yard) accuracy of the rifle, means that 600-yard hits on a silhouette, aren't very difficult, if you can dope the wind. In fact, with a ranging reticle, its rather easy...

It's my baby  ;D but my current favorite is a .404 caliber Mauser that can shoot a 400g bullet at 2350fps - it will go completely through a 24" diameter ponderosa pine tree, and no sissies can handle the recoil without that silly whiny look on their face...

albrecht

Quote from: Quick Karl on July 05, 2014, 03:25:02 PM
With the same rifle and iron sights I can shoot about 1-inch groups at 100-yards, but it isn't easy to do.

Nevertheless, the short-range (100-yard) accuracy of the rifle, means that 600-yard hits on a silhouette, aren't very difficult, if you can dope the wind. In fact, with a ranging reticle, its rather easy...

It's my baby  ;D but my current favorite is a .404 caliber Mauser that can shoot a 400g bullet at 2350fps - it will go completely through a 24" diameter ponderosa pine tree, and no sissies can handle the recoil without that silly whiny look on their face...
Now that you live in the Rep of Texas near Austin buy local (go to McBride's, not Cabela's for your guns n ammo and fishin rods, at least guns- maybe Academy for ammo and lures) and check out these guys if you got some serious cash:
http://tracking-point.com/
Pretty awesome, though I sorta question everything going "digital"? What about batteries? What about getting abused in the field? What if no charger or grid goes down? What about it getting hacked? But some frigging amazing stuff. Now a 12yr old girl with no training can make a 1000yrd shot? Actually a little scary. Haha. And I almost say it should be illegal for hunting. No skill, training, patience, etc.

Quick Karl

Quote from: albrecht on July 05, 2014, 03:51:59 PM
Now that you live in the Rep of Texas near Austin buy local (go to McBride's, not Cabela's for your guns n ammo and fishin rods, at least guns- maybe Academy for ammo and lures) and check out these guys if you got some serious cash:
http://tracking-point.com/
Pretty awesome, though I sorta question everything going "digital"? What about batteries? What about getting abused in the field? What if no charger or grid goes down? What about it getting hacked? But some frigging amazing stuff. Now a 12yr old girl with no training can make a 1000yrd shot? Actually a little scary. Haha. And I almost say it should be illegal for hunting. No skill, training, patience, etc.

I am going to guess from your commentary you are talking about a laser-range-finding/bullet-drop-compensating rifle scope? No doubt some sophisticated technology - but when it breaks or the batteries die, it's back to range estimation and knowing what your round will do. A drop/windage chart taped to the but stock is my go-to technology. I work up a load for accuracy, chronograph it, plug the data into a ballistic computer, generate a chart, confirm it, and tape it to the stock.

The longest shot I ever made from a cold barrel was 725-yards on a Coyote, with witnesses (a 300 Winchester magnum I had built in 1997). I ranged the coyote with a laser range finder, looked up the dope on my chart, clicked the scope for the drop, made a guess for the wind, took the shot and rolled the Coyote. It was still growling at us when we walked up to it, but it wasn't going anywhere. I was stunned how tough the fricken thing was that it was still living after a 200g Sierra SBT ripped through it but it was a gut shot so it lived until we got to it, albeit with a rather large portion of its guts hanging out...

I've been rolling my own ammo since 1995, and stocking up on supplies ever since. Half the U-Haul was - well, never mind  ;D But I will NEVER move my safe again by myself, I will hire professionals...

The ONLY thing I ever bought at Cabella's is my Marlin 1895 CB Limited 45-70 octagon barrel, because that was the only place that had em. Turns out that after Remington bought Marlin out their quality went to shit and my rifle, in near new condition that it is in, has a certain inspection mark on it and is worth quite a bit more than I paid for it!

I'm keeping it.

My Uncle (the guy that owns the ranch I am on) wants me to raise REAL free-range natural chickens and sell chickens and farm fresh eggs to rich idiots for bank. I started reading a couple of books he has and, heck I love roasted chicken, and there is NOTHING like a real farm-fresh egg to get your day started!

OK, back on topic! Boom. Dead Ebola guy...

I AM THE LIGHT and I carry.

NowhereInTime

Quote from: Quick Karl on July 05, 2014, 06:37:49 PM
I am going to guess from your commentary you are talking about a laser-range-finding/bullet-drop-compensating rifle scope? No doubt some sophisticated technology - but when it breaks or the batteries die, it's back to range estimation and knowing what your round will do. A drop/windage chart taped to the but stock is my go-to technology. I work up a load for accuracy, chronograph it, plug the data into a ballistic computer, generate a chart, confirm it, and tape it to the stock.

The longest shot I ever made from a cold barrel was 725-yards on a Coyote, with witnesses (a 300 Winchester magnum I had built in 1997). I ranged the coyote with a laser range finder, looked up the dope on my chart, clicked the scope for the drop, made a guess for the wind, took the shot and rolled the Coyote. It was still growling at us when we walked up to it, but it wasn't going anywhere. I was stunned how tough the fricken thing was that it was still living after a 200g Sierra SBT ripped through it but it was a gut shot so it lived until we got to it, albeit with a rather large portion of its guts hanging out...

I've been rolling my own ammo since 1995, and stocking up on supplies ever since. Half the U-Haul was - well, never mind  ;D But I will NEVER move my safe again by myself, I will hire professionals...

The ONLY thing I ever bought at Cabella's is my Marlin 1895 CB Limited 45-70 octagon barrel, because that was the only place that had em. Turns out that after Remington bought Marlin out their quality went to shit and my rifle, in near new condition that it is in, has a certain inspection mark on it and is worth quite a bit more than I paid for it!

I'm keeping it.
Serious question, no bullshit, no jokes.  You and Albrecht seem to not like Cabela's; am I misreading it or is there a reason you guys don't care for them?
I ask because there's a flat out gorgeous Cabela's in East Hartford that has everything under the sun for being out, well, under the sun.
Thanks.

Foodlion

Looks like Alex Jones's conspiracy theory has hit the Sierra Leone and Guinea areas. The word spread on his conspiracy that It's a form of population control, and now crowed of locals were threatening the Aid workers with knives and claims that the western government was purposely infecting the people.

People are risking their lives trying to control this outbreak, and he's throwing fuel on the fire.

Quick Karl

Quote from: Foodlion on July 05, 2014, 06:59:08 PM
Looks like Alex Jones's conspiracy theory has hit the Sierra Leone and Guinea areas. The word spread on his conspiracy that It's a form of population control, and now crowed of locals were threatening the Aid workers with knives and claims that the western government was purposely infecting the people.

People are risking their lives trying to control this outbreak, and he's throwing fuel on the fire.

I have no clue how AJ has any listeners at all, but I say the same thing about Howard Stern...

albrecht

Quote from: NowhereInTime on July 05, 2014, 06:48:22 PM
Serious question, no bullshit, no jokes.  You and Albrecht seem to not like Cabela's; am I misreading it or is there a reason you guys don't care for them?
I ask because there's a flat out gorgeous Cabela's in East Hartford that has everything under the sun for being out, well, under the sun.
Thanks.
Actually I used Cabela's (and Bass Pro Shops, Gander Mtn, ) for many decades back when it was a catalog. I have nothing against them but would rather buy from local, smaller stores and support local economies and people who have been in local businesses for a long time. That is the only issue I have with them (that, and I recall the one near me got tax-breaks by the local government to build and that isn't fair for local businesses who don't get sweet-heart deals.) I agree though and like the Cabela's and BassPro for their taxidermy displays, gun museum, and fish tank displays. More like a museum than a store.

b_dubb

Quote from: NowhereInTime on July 05, 2014, 06:48:22 PM
Thanks.
I'm going to just take a guess here and say that Cabela's isn't manly enough. QK strikes me as the type to shop at Dicks

WOTR

Quote from: Quick Karl on July 03, 2014, 07:52:30 PM
I am out on a ranch, miles east of Austin - anyone comes walkin' up the driveway with Ebola is going to have a nice round hole in their head, a hole will be dug with the backhoe and they will be buried before the flies get to them...

I AM THE LIGHT
Have you stocked up on hazmat suits and respirators for dealing with the corpse?

WOTR

It's not the first time... Immunization had the same problems.  The major difference is that this time it is an American stirring the pot rather than local populations.  I am sure that the workers appreciate the input of AJ.

albrecht

I'm sure Alex would like to claim credit (for the belief in the conspiracy, not so much whatever violence) but I doubt he is the cause of distrust. The disease is horrible enough to cause disorder and the area has a long history of corruption in government, colonial exploitation, civil wars, ethnic strife, primitive belief systems, and the like. I know Alex is on shortwave but I don't think they could get the signal there (barring some really good atmospheric conditions) and I'm sure some have internet but he broadcasts in English and most don't speak it (and the ranting would be hard for those to understand even for those who understand English as their second or third language.)

yumyumtree

Yeah, they probably have enough of their own superstitions and irrational fears. They don't need his, assuming they knew who he was, which they probably don't.

But it's nice to have another reason to hate on Jones.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Quick Karl on July 05, 2014, 06:37:49 PM

Did your dick grow a quarter inch because it wasn't a clean shot? Why do you need to say you had witnesses, think anyone will check?  You just had to try and prove how rough and tough you are with a weapon eh? 700 yards needed because you wanted enough distance between you and the coyote because you wouldn't outrun it?

HAL 9000

Quote from: Quick Karl on July 04, 2014, 11:40:25 PMBest group I ever shot in my life:

Bring it.

I AM THE LIGHT
OK, I'm bringing it

I'm honestly not sure what your small graphic represents... a computer-generated simulation of what transpired? Why not just provide photos of the targets?

I posted to a thread a couple of years ago, showing the various iterations of a 10-shot grouping, but used photographs - clicking on the photos gives one a larger view.

http://bellgab.com/index.php?topic=3444.msg80302#msg80302

Off-topic I know, so won't pollute again here.

Quick Karl

Quote from: HAL 9000 on July 06, 2014, 03:08:17 AM
OK, I'm bringing it

I'm honestly not sure what your small graphic represents... a computer-generated simulation of what transpired? Why not just provide photos of the targets?

I posted to a thread a couple of years ago, showing the various iterations of a 10-shot grouping, but used photographs - clicking on the photos gives one a larger view.

http://bellgab.com/index.php?topic=3444.msg80302#msg80302

Off-topic I know, so won't pollute again here.

That IS a photo, of a 3"x5" index card with a 1/2" adhesive dot stuck to it - my standard "target". Any child can add descriptive text to an image these days. You can look up the OnTarget group measuring software for yourself.

pate

De-railing the thread further, my great-uncle (god rest his soul, a good man) by family legend brought his WWII weapon home with him & used it to hunt.  He hunted iron sights with the thing and could bring down game at distances difficult with a scope on modern rifles.  I think it was a .306 which is pretty close to the Enfield .303, not compatible, but still...

Family legend holds that he learned this prowess from the Battle of the Bulge, his testimony (delivered to me second hand) was something like "We didn't have much ammo, and when they popped their heads up you had to shoot straight" or something like that.

I never had the gall to question the man, I think the tales of the swattings you'd receive for stepping out of line made me most respectful.  Respectful to the point of not asking questions about stories he didn't feel like telling when I was around...

Ebola is a helluva a drug, but I doubt it survives in the US climate, zombies notwithstanding...

onan

I wonder if anyone has tried to use ebola by infecting someone and buying them a ticket to any metropolitan area.

pate

I sort of tried that with *@^$%! virus but I sent it to the town I live in, didna work so well...