• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

Ebola

Started by VtaGeezer, March 27, 2014, 11:56:35 PM

VtaGeezer

Ebola outbreak in Nigeria.

ksm32

That sounds about right.. things are going according to plan.

Everybody should stop fucking for about five years, give the planet a lil breathing room :)

yumyumtree

I thought it was Guinea.

HorrorRetro

I've read that as of now there are no confirmed cases in Nigeria, but it seems to be going strong in Guinea and moving to Liberia and Sierra Leone.

http://news.yahoo.com/ebola-outbreak-guinea-unprecedented-epidemic-150950731.html

VtaGeezer

163 dead now, including a dozen health workers.

Foodlion

Quote from: ksm32 on March 29, 2014, 01:19:02 AM
That sounds about right.. things are going according to plan.

Everybody should stop fucking for about five years, give the planet a lil breathing room :)
I agree. If the US and other countries would stop feeding them so much they wouldn't be popping out babies so fast. That population is way higher than it should be, and it's a huge breeding ground of rare diseases.

paladin1991

Ebola?  Shit.  I hadn't heard this on the lamestream news.  Wonder how I missed that.  Ebola is some  truly dangerous shit. 

Time for FEMA to take over.

I think this was covered in a certain X Files movie. I wish I could remember the title.

area51drone

Apparently it's spread now to Conakry, two million residents.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/14/health/gupta-ebola-guinea/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I just watched Outbreak again yesterday.   Damn, aside from the way that Dustin Hoffman saved the day, and how quickly they were able to catch the outbreak in the first place, I can imagine that movie being pretty accurate.  Very scary stuff indeed.

albrecht

Quote from: area51drone on April 15, 2014, 09:34:03 AM
Apparently it's spread now to Conakry, two million residents.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/14/health/gupta-ebola-guinea/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I just watched Outbreak again yesterday.   Damn, aside from the way that Dustin Hoffman saved the day, and how quickly they were able to catch the outbreak in the first place, I can imagine that movie being pretty accurate.  Very scary stuff indeed.
Time to revisit that Art Bell show in 97 with Lindsey Williams about Ebola and other shows about that crisis.

Foodlion

Considering how long this virus can remain hidden up to 3 weeks, and the fact that it can be mistaken for a whole list of things before it's full blown and probably too late to cure, if Ebola did make it to Canada as they previous thought last month, this could easily become a doomsday scenario and wipe out 1/3rd of the population.

Scary thought but let's face the reality we're living in. It's just a matter of time before some thing like this happens.

VtaGeezer

Just watched showboating CNN medico Gupta in some shithole in Guinea showing how close he can get to the ebola virus; a very few feet actually.  I think CDC should immediately ban travel to, and quarantine anyone returning from affected regions; grandstanding media celebs included.  All it takes is one jackass like Gupta playing chicken with a potentially explosive epidemic.  He's one unknowingly infected health worker's sneeze from away being a vector.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on April 15, 2014, 01:11:38 PM
Just watched showboating CNN medico Gupta in some shithole in Guinea showing how close he can get to the ebola virus; a very few feet actually.  I think CDC should immediately ban travel to, and quarantine anyone returning from affected regions; grandstanding media celebs included.  All it takes is one jackass like Gupta playing chicken with a potentially explosive epidemic.  He's one unknowingly infected health worker's sneeze from away being a vector.

These Ebola flare-ups have become a common occurrence over the last 30 or 40 years.   They're usually quickly brought under control.

I'm far more worried about carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE), which can, and frequently do, mutate. For my money, that's where the real nightmare scenarios lurk.

Foodlion

Quote from: VtaGeezer on April 15, 2014, 01:11:38 PM
Yeah I think getting too close to ebola in an effort to calm people's nerves is bad practice "Look guys, the guns not loaded see...".
talk about a Darwin Award nominee if he did accidently contract it and died.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: FightTheFuture on April 15, 2014, 01:53:11 PM

These Ebola flare-ups have become a common occurrence over the last 30 or 40 years.   They're usually quickly brought under control.

I'm far more worried about carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE), which can, and frequently do, mutate. For my money, that's where the real nightmare scenarios lurk.
The difference this time is that its not in some remote jungle village; its in the outskirts of a city of a million.

Foodlion

After following it since it made the first headline about 2 months ago, It's now starting to seem like a runaway train picking up speed.

pick your news source, it's all the same.

http://www.wnd.com/2014/07/u-n-warns-ebola-could-become-pandemic/

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/03/health/ebola-outbreak-west-africa/

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/02/us-health-ebola-westafrica-redcross-idUSKBN0F714220140702

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/07/140702-ebola-epidemic-fever-world-health-guinea-sierra-leone-liberia/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/guinea/10942598/Ebola-out-of-control-in-West-Africa-as-health-workers-rush-to-trace-1500-possible-victims.html

Just know that If you think we are safe from this and that it only effects Africa, please rethink otherwise. This shit might cross continents. There is NO cure for ebola, and depending on the strain it kills 60-90% of those that get infected. Let's just hope this doesn't get even more out of control.

Also, now might be the time to find some "bug out" land if you do need to GTFO of town and to a safe zone. I've been a tinfoil hat enthusiast for years now, and it's reasons like this I live on land where I grow my own food, pump my own water, and live far as fuck from the city... and now you know.  ;D

bateman

QuoteJust know that If you think we are safe from this and that it only effects Africa, please rethink otherwise. This shit might cross continents.

Bingo. The opening chapter of The Hot Zone goes into this - all it takes is one person to get on an international flight.

Foodlion

Quote from: bateman on July 03, 2014, 05:15:17 PM
Bingo. The opening chapter of The Hot Zone goes into this - all it takes is one person to get on an international flight.

Very awesome book which I did read years ago.
One thing civilization didn't plan for when modernizing itself was a full blown pandemic like Ebola. Stupid humans built massive cities, and people actually flocked to them.
Cities like NYC, LA, Houston, and Chicago would be major death traps.
The government will isolate itself to specialized locations like Nuclear Power plants, Capital buildings, and military bases, just to secure them from more disaster, but the normal civilian is pretty much on their own.
Other countries like India, China, and Japan where the population density is insanely high, would be left for the flys and maggots.

Foodlion

Quote from: someguy on July 03, 2014, 05:20:51 PM
Ebola kills too quickly for it to spread very far.
Consider that if it wasn't a danger the CDC would've been able to control it long ago.
2-20 days to show symptoms. Only good thing for people is you can't actually catch it until the person shows symptoms. It can be spread by sweat, sex, coughing, sneeze, touching, flies on corpses can even spread it. Luckily, It's not so much airborne.

someguy

Quote from: Foodlion on July 03, 2014, 05:32:15 PM
Consider that if it wasn't a danger the CDC would've been able to control it long ago.
2-20 days to show symptoms. Only good thing for people is you can't actually catch it until the person shows symptoms. It can be spread by sweat, sex, coughing, sneeze, touching, flies on corpses can even spread it. Luckily, It's not so much airborne.

I wouldn't worry too much unless you live in africa

Foodlion

Quote from: someguy on July 03, 2014, 05:34:44 PM
I wouldn't worry too much unless you live in africa

I hope you're right.

If not, then I'm guessing it won't matter anyway.

someguy

Quote from: Foodlion on July 03, 2014, 05:41:56 PM
I hope you're right.

If not, then I'm guessing it won't matter anyway.

It's such a problem in africa because of shitty conditions, lack of hospitals and infrastructure and all that

Quick Karl

I am out on a ranch, miles east of Austin - anyone comes walkin' up the driveway with Ebola is going to have a nice round hole in their head, a hole will be dug with the backhoe and they will be buried before the flies get to them...

I AM THE LIGHT

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Quick Karl on July 03, 2014, 07:52:30 PM
I am out on a ranch, miles east of Austin - anyone comes walkin' up the driveway with Ebola is going to have a nice round hole in their head, a hole will be dug with the backhoe and they will be buried before the flies get to them...

I AM THE LIGHT

John Wayne lives..