• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Remote rebooting

Started by area51drone, March 24, 2014, 09:32:38 PM

area51drone

I recently bought a Synaccess Netbooter, which allows me to remotely reboot my computer (hopefully, I haven't tried it yet), for an upcoming trip I'm taking.   I just set it up, but I'm weary about plugging my computer into it, as my PC needs to be up and running all the time.   My thought is if my computer goes down to the point I can't connect, and I need to restart it, this will give me a shot.   Anyone tried one of these devices yet?  Have you had any intermittent reboots? 

wr250

Quote from: area51drone on March 24, 2014, 09:32:38 PM
I recently bought a Synaccess Netbooter, which allows me to remotely reboot my computer (hopefully, I haven't tried it yet), for an upcoming trip I'm taking.   I just set it up, but I'm weary about plugging my computer into it, as my PC needs to be up and running all the time.   My thought is if my computer goes down to the point I can't connect, and I need to restart it, this will give me a shot.   Anyone tried one of these devices yet?  Have you had any intermittent reboots?

i just call home and say "hey go restart my computer" . works as long as someone is home.

area51drone

Quote from: wr250 on March 25, 2014, 06:01:35 AM
i just call home and say "hey go restart my computer" . works as long as someone is home.

Right.    Well, I have it plugged in, and it looks like it's working for now.   Pretty slick little interface to control it remotely.   I'm amazed how many options it has - it can even ping your pc and reboot it automatically if it's not getting a response.   I will probably buy another one and set that option up to ping an outside ip source, and automatically reboot my cable modem and router if no interenet.

wr250

Quote from: area51drone on March 25, 2014, 08:38:40 AM
Right.    Well, I have it plugged in, and it looks like it's working for now.   Pretty slick little interface to control it remotely.   I'm amazed how many options it has - it can even ping your pc and reboot it automatically if it's not getting a response.   I will probably buy another one and set that option up to ping an outside ip source, and automatically reboot my cable modem and router if no interenet.

you may need to set the bios option "restart on power failure" or similar

area51drone

Quote from: wr250 on March 25, 2014, 08:42:29 AM
you may need to set the bios option "restart on power failure" or similar

Yep, I did that.   I tested out the reboot feature and it did reboot the PC.  Teamviewer also runs as a service so I can remotely control from the login screen and restart the applications I need for my business.    Still curious about spontaneous reboots though, as I only have a week before my trip.   I guess that's enough test time.

area51drone

Quote from: themudking on March 25, 2014, 10:22:20 AM
Intel vPro AMT - you're new remote control best friend

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/vpro-amt-management-kvm,3003-7.html

I'm glad you took notice of this thread Mudking, I thought you (gingers) if anyone would know what other options were out there.   My MB isn't running intel.   It's a cheapo ASRock running an Athlon II quad core.  I think I built it for around $300.  It's been a great machine, and a lot more reliable than my old store bought gateway piece of shit, but it is not fully featured - I was glad to find it even supported reboot on power failure.  At the time I built it, I wasn't concerned with keeping my pc running 24/7.   Hopefully other manufacturer's will take notice of intel's ideas and start incorporating this feature into future motherboards and cpus - cause I'm cheap like that.

This is a cool feature:

In AMT 7.0, Intel makes it possible to use a 3G cellular signal to send that remote kill command, greatly improving your chances of deactivating a stolen computer before it gives up any sensitive information.