• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

I think Noory is on his way out.

Started by bsbishop, March 11, 2014, 07:28:44 PM

Quote from: Juan on March 21, 2014, 06:10:38 AM
We learned yesterday that Cheap Channel is 21-billion dollars in debt.  I think that makes sNoory more secure.  Coast is a cheap program to produce.

You're probably referring to this PAGESIX story from March 19.. http://pagesix.com/2014/03/19/clear-channel-boss-renovates-office-with-mist-tunnel/

Apparently the head of Clear Channel is doing his best to spend a lot of money on nonsense and new offices.

The news of the debt can be traced back to last year, though. Look at this article from November 2013 from BLOOMBERG, it's pretty clear that the debt story is real.. and an issue. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-29/clear-channel-burning-cash-to-delay-reckoning-corporate-finance.html

As far as NOORY becoming unplugged due to it? I don't know..
Right now, Coast is stable. As much as we all hate it, they have a fan base that Noory established since he became full time--and we know full well these are people who would not understand the type of show that Art Bell put forward.
However, we also know ratings are suffering.
I personally think Nores wants to showcase his hairpiece on TV as opposed to radio. He has a toupee for TV, after all..
Maybe GAIAM is the back up 'shit canned' plan..

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Juan on March 21, 2014, 06:10:38 AM
We learned yesterday that Cheap Channel is 21-billion dollars in debt.  I think that makes sNoory more secure.  Coast is a cheap program to produce.
I believe C2C is a money loser for Clear Channel.  National advertising from major sponsors is almost non-existent, and that's where CC's profit comes from.  I think C2C is provided as free programming to mostly tiny "affiliates".  I don't believe the revenue from small time supplement peddlers like Carnivora even pays the overhead.  I still think the show's recent plunge to new depths in quality is a sign that mgmt has already decided to cut C2C and Noory loose and is just parked on the all-night network until the coming political cycle is ripe for a new all-night right-wing ranter.  I think they're going to plug something else into the time slot by year's end.

ItsOver

Hey, Cheap Channel, if you're really interested in saving a few bucks, stop playing with the mist tunnel for a few minutes and give the nitwits at PremRad a ring.  Tell them to cancel C2C and just run Ground Zero.  Before GZ's arrival, PremRad used to fill the night with C2C and C2C replays on a number of stations.  Do the same with GZ.   GZ isn't always a winner of a show, either, but if you're just looking at the bottom line, why pay the costs for two shows when you can get by with one.  "Sorry, Jorch, but we had to cut costs.  Look at the clause in your contract about what happens if we're forced to cancel C2C.  Goodbye, best wishes, and don't let the door hit you in the rear."

Juan

The thing is, Cheap Channel owns more than 800-radio stations.  They need programming overnight.  It is much cheaper to produce Coast than it would be to buy or syndicate from someone else. Coast is a cheap show.  I don't buy the small station argument, either.  In my market Coast is simulcast on a 50,000-watt day, 30,000-watt night AM station and a 100,000-watt FM station. Those stations are owned by Cox, not Cheap Channel.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Juan on March 21, 2014, 11:48:46 AM
The thing is, Cheap Channel owns more than 800-radio stations.  They need programming overnight.  It is much cheaper to produce Coast than it would be to buy or syndicate from someone else. Coast is a cheap show.  I don't buy the small station argument, either.  In my market Coast is simulcast on a 50,000-watt day, 30,000-watt night AM station and a 100,000-watt FM station. Those stations are owned by Cox, not Cheap Channel.
Just look at the station roster for any given state and you'll see what I'm talking about.  The station count is used to pump up the listeners, but I doubt it's meaningful to people in the business; if the show airs on the major market 50kW "clear channels" like KFI or WLS, who cares about the 1kW podunks?  The local station on which I hear C2C is transmitting at a measly 250W at night!  Bell's network was built on the little stations, the big ones came on board much later...just before he sold out to PRN.

Juan

The 1-kw podunks care.  And if they are owned by Cheap Channel, Cheap Channel cares.  It's much less expensive to provide one program to 500+ stations than for one podunk station to produce it's own.  From Cheap Channel's side, it's not as much about how much money they make, but how much they don't have to spend, and the efficiency of having to pay only one host/producer team for, in effect, 500+ shows 

bateman

Quote from: Juan on March 21, 2014, 12:14:00 PM
The 1-kw podunks care.  And if they are owned by Cheap Channel, Cheap Channel cares.  It's much less expensive to provide one program to 500+ stations than for one podunk station to produce it's own.  From Cheap Channel's side, it's not as much about how much money they make, but how much they don't have to spend, and the efficiency of having to pay only one host/producer team for, in effect, 500+ shows 

Bingo. This is an industry that's been too little, too late at every turn. They know they'll never see the billing numbers they used to, so they cut costs to the bone. ClearChannel are hardly the only ones doing it, but they're arguably the most egregious offenders.

ItsOver

Quote from: Juan on March 21, 2014, 11:48:46 AM

PremRat has had a deal to air "Ground Zero" nationally since July of 2012.  "Ground Zero" is far from perfect but better than The Nooron.  I'll bet Clyde Lewis would be glad to completely take over the night slot for less than what PremRat is spending on C2C.  He already does a 5 hour a night show, with most stations across the country just airing the first 3 hours.  Cancel C2C, air all 5 hours of GZ, and replay the first two hours of GZ.  Why PremRat feels they need The Nooron is beyond me.  I guess that's why some idiots at Clear Channel are playing with a mist tunnel while they're $21 billion in debt.  Shouldn't these clowns be with the rest of their kind in Congress?

Quote from: ItsOver on March 21, 2014, 02:26:26 PM
PremRat has had a deal to air "Ground Zero" nationally since July of 2012.  "Ground Zero" is far from perfect but better than The Nooron.  I'll bet Clyde Lewis would be glad to completely take over the night slot for less than what PremRat is spending on C2C.  He already does a 5 hour a night show, with most stations across the country just airing the first 3 hours.  Cancel C2C, air all 5 hours of GZ, and replay the first two hours of GZ.  Why PremRat feels they need The Nooron is beyond me.  I guess that's why some idiots at Clear Channel are playing with a mist tunnel while they're $21 billion in debt.  Shouldn't these clowns be with the rest of their kind in Congress?

The coast to coast brand is still worth something. If they wanted they could fire Noory and just give Clyde the show.

I think C2C could still be a money maker for Premier, if they could find the right host. Cut down the advertisments and gain a larger listner base. I am sure the audience numbers would go up, and as a result adds would be more expensive.

I think Premier is even open to the idea of getting rid of Noory, or even using him less. The issue is there is no host who can pull in ratings. Also the format of the show is a disaster these days, too many commercials. It is unlistenable too. They keep trying different host, but none of them are adequate for what they need.

it's obvious that George has pictures of PremRad execs engaging in some lemon party-esque shenanigans

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Juan on March 21, 2014, 12:14:00 PM
Sounds like they're not only losing money directly by producing Noory's debacle, but the CC-owned podunks that are shackled to it can't sell late night ad spots either.  I'm no expert on the radio biz, but in a market full of upscale retail, restaurants, and several car dealers, the spots during C2C on the local podunk should something beyond PSAs, ads for a horse vet, or an ancient local musician pitching his 50s music "shows" in local bars.

Bart Ell

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on March 21, 2014, 03:46:23 PM
it's obvious that George has pictures of PremRad execs engaging in some lemon party-esque shenanigans

Speaking of pictures - George Noory has a penis and has used it.

Try and get that picture out of your mind.

ItsOver

Quote from: nooryisawesome on March 21, 2014, 02:43:57 PM
The coast to coast brand is still worth something. If they wanted they could fire Noory and just give Clyde the show.

I think C2C could still be a money maker for Premier, if they could find the right host. Cut down the advertisments and gain a larger listner base. I am sure the audience numbers would go up, and as a result adds would be more expensive.

I think Premier is even open to the idea of getting rid of Noory, or even using him less. The issue is there is no host who can pull in ratings. Also the format of the show is a disaster these days, too many commercials. It is unlistenable too. They keep trying different host, but none of them are adequate for what they need.

It struck me as kind of odd when and how "Ground Zero" first showed-up on the radio.  I don't recall any advance plugs on the air or any notice of it "coming soon to a radio station near you!"  I just turned on the radio one night, fully expecting to hear the usual C2C rebroadcast from the night before on the local station and there it was, as if it had always been running.    I wondered from the beginning if PremRat had decided to try a trial run to check-out something new for filling the night.  Has Noory ever mentioned "Ground Zero" or Clyde Lewis?  Clyde has alluded to C2C and Noory several times, usually in a less than complimentary manner.  Why is PremRat running two shows at night with very similar concepts, especially if they're all about not spending more than they have to spend?  Now we have PremRat canning Wells and apparently trying out new hosts.  Maybe it's just hopeful thinking but maybe something is up.  Be afraid, Jorch, be very afraid.  If nothing else, if we keep a rumor going about Noory being on his way out, maybe it'll take on a life of it's own.

MikeJ

Quote from: laserjock on March 19, 2014, 06:45:30 PM
If they bring back the politics of Wells with some new host, I'm leaving for good.  I am sick and tired of right wing nut jobs getting cart blanche on radio.  There needs to be balance and reason.  Noory and his stupid "no vaccinations" and Wells' "it's all a conspiracy by the Illuminati" is so freaking tired and idiotic it is damaging to the nation.  Rational thinking needs to return to radio so the nation may be saved.

Couldn't agree more.

someguy

Quote from: Bart Ell on March 21, 2014, 05:52:59 PM

arg fuck you!

also george noory has a concealed carry. a man who cannot pronounce the word february is carrying a loaded firearm

Quote from: Bart Ell on March 21, 2014, 05:52:59 PM

indeed he did.

albrecht

In some weird way I think George knows what's up and hence his mailing it in, lack of any focus, throw away lines to both guests n callers, and the "rubbing our face in it" talking about his new studios, studio remodels, incidents with celebrities at restaurants, etc meanwhile CC n subsidiary Primier keep taking on debt n executives build fog tunnels. Seriously. Why wouldn't they at least take "Mish" or other guests advice about debt? They riding ship until sunk n maximizing their own nest until they can bail.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: albrecht on March 22, 2014, 08:49:18 PM
Why wouldn't they at least take "Mish" or other guests advice about debt? 
I can think of a lot of Noory guests who'd probably tell them the mist cave is a splendid investment that attracts angels and fairies.

albrecht

Quote from: VtaGeezer on March 22, 2014, 11:01:55 PM
I can think of a lot of Noory guests who'd probably tell them the mist cave is a splendid investment that attracts angels and fairies.
Im guessing, somehow, George convinced the executive that a mist tunnel would turn out to be portal. And turn it all around if one walks through it and signs contract extensions n studio remodels. He is a modern Svengali or Rasputin but uses his wiles on executive staff and shareholders and, thus, nothing left to us poor listeners or even his guests who seem confused, exasperated, or resigned to the "interview."

Snorey seems so dang insincere, which can make even a fascinating subject seem dull.

tomveil1977

Quote from: FightTheFuture on March 12, 2014, 08:16:49 AM
Noory isn`t going anywhere.

It`s not as if he suddenly turned to crap. He`s always been crap as a host. Yet, they still keep signing him. Noory is a company man. I reckon that pretty much says it all.

Exactly.... he'll do whatever PremRat wants him to do. They will never get or care what their audience thinks. They'll simply assume other listeners will always be around replace the irritated ones that have quit listening. Shows do evolve I get that. I'm not asking C2C to ever be what the Art Bell C2C was. But it definitely should not be this crap.

As mentioned ratings for c2c fell again down from 3.25 to 3 million.

Art at one point had 10+. It so odd wells got fired when he was pulling the best numbers.

cweb

Quote from: nooryisawesome on June 05, 2014, 08:42:42 PM
As mentioned ratings for c2c fell again down from 3.25 to 3 million.

Art at one point had 10+. It so odd wells got fired when he was pulling the best numbers.
Yes, but as was discussed, Wells didn't play nice. They should've let Wells stay and go off the deep end. I'd rather have moments of batshit instead of the endless lobotomy that is Snoory.

It's not like by keeping Noory that they're saving their credibility. Because they're not. It's gone. And it only seems to reappear on weekends for fleeting moments, or maybe a Knapp show.

Marc.Knight

After all these years I am still trying to understand why Noory sounds like his tongue is wrapped around his neck when he talks - especially during the first hour "news" segments.  They must have to throw towels down on the console to soak up all of the saliva and spatter that spews out. 

cweb

Quote from: Marc.Knight on June 06, 2014, 07:21:30 AM
After all these years I am still trying to understand why Noory sounds like his tongue is wrapped around his neck when he talks - especially during the first hour "news" segments.  They must have to throw towels down on the console to soak up all of the saliva and spatter that spews out.
Novocaine is one helluva drug, man.

Quote from: Marc.Knight on June 06, 2014, 07:21:30 AM

I prefer to imagine that it's Tommy sitting there in an empty kiddie pool.  Not empty by the end of the show of course.

paladin1991

Quote from: VtaGeezer on March 12, 2014, 03:37:23 PM
In Navy parlance, he was "OIC of the Golden Rivet".
In Marine Corps parlance, "Fuckin' douche."

paladin1991

Quote from: Juan Cena on March 20, 2014, 11:33:29 PM
That's L. Ron Hubbard you're thinking of, which was a bulls**t claim.
No.  I think he claimed an Admiralcy of his BS scientology navy sailing the Psychic seas.

paladin1991

As to the title of this thread.  You are a CT.  A Coast Tease.

Quote from: TheMan WhoFell ToEarth on June 06, 2014, 09:38:24 AM
I prefer to imagine that it's Tommy sitting there in an empty kiddie pool.  Not empty by the end of the show of course.

Ah yes, Taw-mee.

The most famous Turd Producer in all of radio