• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What is your expertise?

Started by The General, November 22, 2013, 04:29:57 PM

The General

We have such an interesting amalgam of souls here at Bellgab.  I bet that we'd be surprised about what some of our members here excel at.  Oh, I'm sure, we have plenty of folks with normal jobs and no particular skill set, but I want to hear about some of the more unusual occupations.  What is your expertise? 

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: The General on November 22, 2013, 04:29:57 PM
We have such an interesting amalgam of souls here at Bellgab.  I bet that we'd be surprised about what some of our members here excel at.  Oh, I'm sure, we have plenty of folks with normal jobs and no particular skill set, but I want to hear about some of the more unusual occupations.  What is your expertise?

Printing (most disciplines-exceptions being screen and gravure)..photography, model making. But can usually turn my hand to most things of a practical nature,  oh and I can draw (technical as well as artistic). Crap at maths. But done quite a few things over the years. Worst was delivering coal.

McPhallus

Tech writing.

Quote from: The General on November 22, 2013, 04:29:57 PM

onan

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 22, 2013, 04:49:37 PM
Printing (most disciplines-exceptions being screen and gravure)..photography, model making. But can usually turn my hand to most things of a practical nature,  oh and I can draw (technical as well as artistic). Crap at maths. But done quite a few things over the years. Worst was delivering coal.

thought printing was mostly dead... I was a 4 color stripper for 20 years... hated every minute of it.

Heather Wade

Fuck it.  I have a resume 2 1/2 pages long of office support staff positions I excelled at.  Used to work for my friends' bands loading & unloading gear on the weekends (Been known to back-up sing on occasion, as well).  Can't do that anymore because of my injury & pain.

Now, I am reduced to working a fetish phone sex line.  There.  Now everyone knows. I don't give a shit today.  Sling your stones and arrows or whatever else is handy.  Go ahead and hate me, think less of me.  Doesn't matter to me anymore.

What's my expertise?  Survival.   :-\  I gotta eat, man.

onan

Quote from: (Redacted) on November 22, 2013, 05:17:38 PM
Fuck it.  I have a resume 2 1/2 pages long of office support staff positions I excelled at.  Used to work for my friends' bands loading & unloading gear on the weekends (Been known to back-up sing on occasion, as well).  Can't do that anymore because of my injury & pain.

Now, I am reduced to working a fetish phone sex line.  There.  Now everyone knows. I don't give a shit today.  Sling your stones and arrows or whatever else is handy.  Go ahead and hate me, think less of me.  Doesn't matter to me anymore.

I don't think less of you. Hate that you think I would. Life is crazy.

HorrorRetro

No judgment from me.  You do what you have to do to get by.

I'm working on refreshing my medial admin. skills to get back into the field soon. I've been out for about 10 years now.  My area is medical coding -- CPT4, ICD-9 -- soon to be ICD-10, and DSM-V, although the last time I did mental health coding, it was still DSM-IV.

In the interim, I worked as a legal transcript editor/proofreader. Court reporters from around the country would send me their transcript files, and I'd listen along word-for-word with the audio file as well as read along with the steno language.  I'd made any necessary changes, do research on unintelligible words, punctuate, and format appropriately.  I did a metric shit ton of workers' comp. cases out of California. I had a few interesting divorce cases out of there as well.

I'd love to garden or be a photographer for a living.

Heather Wade

Quote from: onan on November 22, 2013, 05:23:30 PM
I don't think less of you. Hate that you think I would. Life is crazy.

Thanks for being cool, Dude.

Juan

I've been a professional musician, a lawyer, a journalist, a TV news producer, a news photographer, a darkroom mole, a large format photographer, and now I'm back to music and converting author's works to ebooks. And I spend too much time on bellgab.

The General

Sling your stones and arrows or whatever else is handy.  Go ahead and hate me, think less of me. 
Doesn't matter to me anymore.

I think this post actually raised my respect level for you.  For fessing up and owning it.
Survival is an excellent skill, and kudos to you for taking the high road and actually working.
A lot of people are too quick to leech off of friends, relatives, and their fellow Americans.

The General

These are awesome responses, by the way.  I had a feeling this thread would be good.

My expertise- guitar repair.  That's what I do, and that's what I've done full time for 11 years now.  I was doing it part time before that.  I have also been a farmer, piano salesman, cook, garbage man, and even ran a collectible record store for a few years.  A long time ago, I sold, uh, illegal substances.

coaster

Professional barfly and complainer.

bateman

You have a great voice, you could definitely do well as a voiceover artist or radio DJ.

Quote from: The General on November 22, 2013, 05:49:32 PM
These are awesome responses, by the way.  I had a feeling this thread would be good.

My expertise- guitar repair.  That's what I do, and that's what I've done full time for 11 years now.  I was doing it part time before that.  I have also been a farmer, piano salesman, cook, garbage man, and even ran a collectible record store for a few years.  A long time ago, I sold, uh, illegal substances.

I remember walking home from school in Fullerton, CA past the Fender warehouse for years.  Never did learn to play. (Wish I had....)

I have done loads of office clerical work in younger years, announced classical music and served as a producer for a live radio call-in program; I was a CSI for some years, did a bit of dispatching and animal control work, too.  Now I teach community college English.  It's been a long, strange trip.

Heather Wade

Quote from: HorrorRetro on November 22, 2013, 05:26:50 PM
No judgment from me.  You do what you have to do to get by.

I'm working on refreshing my medial admin. skills to get back into the field soon. I've been out for about 10 years now.  My area is medical coding -- CPT4, ICD-9 -- soon to be ICD-10, and DSM-V, although the last time I did mental health coding, it was still DSM-IV.

In the interim, I worked as a legal transcript editor/proofreader. Court reporters from around the country would send me their transcript files, and I'd listen along word-for-word with the audio file as well as read along with the steno language.  I'd made any necessary changes, do research on unintelligible words, punctuate, and format appropriately.  I did a metric shit ton of workers' comp. cases out of California. I had a few interesting divorce cases out of there as well.

I'd love to garden or be a photographer for a living.

Good luck with your medical billing/ coding.  Sounds like it has been a while, but with a refresher, hopefully you can get back in the saddle soon.

Yes, I'd love to garden, take photos (or do any kind of art), or be on the radio for a living. 

coaster

Now, I am reduced to working a fetish phone sex line. 
Work's work. I can't imagine doing that though. Just because I am a close minded individual with no libido who regards sex as an overrated pastime. I imagine it would be a constant headache having to do something like that. Cheers.

Heather Wade

Quote from: bateman on November 22, 2013, 05:51:26 PM
You have a great voice, you could definitely do well as a voiceover artist or radio DJ.

That would make me the happiest person on Earth.

Coming from someone who actually does work in radio, your compliments are like rain falling on the Mojave.   8)

Add my voice, Redacted, to the chorus of voices saying no worries....  Hell, I'd give that line of work a go if it paid the bills.  Your job is not who you are -- it's just what you do for a chunk of hours each day.

McPhallus

There are worse ways of making money.  I spent a few years working for an online term paper mill.  I used the degree I earned honestly to help people cheat to get theirs.

bateman

Quote from: (Redacted) on November 22, 2013, 06:03:30 PM
That would make me the happiest person on Earth.

Coming from someone who actually does work in radio, your compliments are like rain falling on the Mojave.   8)

Check your PMs.

I'm a guitarist, a cook, and a comedian. ....I'm essentially useless.

Heather Wade

Quote from: The General on November 22, 2013, 05:43:53 PM
I think this post actually raised my respect level for you.  For fessing up and owning it.
Survival is an excellent skill, and kudos to you for taking the high road and actually working.
A lot of people are too quick to leech off of friends, relatives, and their fellow Americans.

Guitar repair, huh?  Done alot of that, it is so very Zen to tune/ repair several in a row for stage, and then watch them played to the enjoyment of an entire crowd.   ;)  Thanks General, truly.  Pride leads to downfall or some shit, but, I have a serious inability to ask for help from others. 

*front & center salute, sir*

yumyumtree

Most recently veterinary kennel attendant. But I worked in the hotel/motel industry for a long time and had my own housecleaning business of one for a couple of years. I've also worked on the fringes of the human medical industry(nursing homes, etc ) in an unskilled capacity. I was a bartender and package liquor store manager once but don't ask me how to make any fancy cocktail that wasn't fashionable in the 70s.

Heather Wade

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on November 22, 2013, 06:12:24 PM
I'm a guitarist, a cook, and a comedian. ....I'm essentially useless.

I wouldn't say useless.  Especially the cooking.   ;D  Hello!

onan

My brother in law had a job cleaning rat shit off of lab tables and their cages at the University of Pittsburgh. That was his job... and he got fired from it.

bateman

Quote from: onan on November 22, 2013, 06:43:30 PM
My brother in law had a job cleaning rat shit off of lab tables and their cages at the University of Pittsburgh. That was his job... and he got fired from it.

Would he just sort of sweep the shit off with his hand or a paper towel? "Ehh, good enough." I could see that being an issue.

onan

Quote from: bateman on November 22, 2013, 06:49:31 PM
Would he just sort of sweep the shit off with his hand or a paper towel? "Ehh, good enough." I could see that being an issue.

I dunno, how do you show remorse for losing a job cleaning rat shit?

No slings, no arrows, no judgment from me. You do what you gotta do to pay the rent and eat. I worked for 10 months at a 'religious' organization scheduling school sports games with the most verbally abusive, backstabbing nasty group of mofos I ever met, including one who faked terminal cancer so everyone would feel sorry for her, and a manager who reeked. I also worked as a medical assistant even though I had a computer science degree when my kid was young to pay bills. Couldn't work those 60 hour weeks and I liked assisting at in-office surgery.

As long as those paychecks arrive, you do what you can and anyone who doesn't like it can bugger off.

My favorite job was s/w. Debugging and writing elegant code float my boat.

Quote from: onan on November 22, 2013, 06:43:30 PM

Goddamn office rats. Did they squeal on him?