• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Alright you late night tech guys

Started by area51drone, November 16, 2013, 04:07:40 AM

area51drone

Another question for you on this late Friday night/Saturday morning.   I am building a new pc for my Dad... I have done a ton of builds never really had any issues.   But I always go the cheap ASRock or some other non brand name stuff.   Until today.  My Dad wanted ASUS.  Of course.

So, I'm getting a red cpu led on a asus P9x79 LE with a i7-4820k.  Everything powers up but never progresses to a display, and according to the manual the red cpu led means it stops there because there is a problem.  Don't know if it really "stops" or what, but that's kind of what the manual implies.

I'm assuming it's the bios, on a sticker on the MB, the last four digits of the sticker are 3501, which appears to be a BIOS rev number from ASUS' forum website.   According to ASUS, I need bios 4210. So OK, that *might* be the problem.

But how do I update the BIOS when I can't even see anything on the screen? I tried two known good graphics cards.  I checked cables, reseated the CPU multiple times. Very careful about static. Even tried pulling the CPU to see if it would post with no CPU. Nope, won't even turn on without a CPU.

Am I supposed to still get some video if it's a BIOS version problem?

area51drone

Got it.  I hate ASUS.  No information in the manual of how to fix this.  Had to ask on Tom's hardware.   

Quote from: area51drone on November 16, 2013, 04:07:40 AM
Another question for you on this late Friday night/Saturday morning.   I am building a new pc for my Dad... I have done a ton of builds never really had any issues.   But I always go the cheap ASRock or some other non brand name stuff.   Until today.  My Dad wanted ASUS.  Of course.

So, I'm getting a red cpu led on a asus P9x79 LE with a i7-4820k.  Everything powers up but never progresses to a display, and according to the manual the red cpu led means it stops there because there is a problem.  Don't know if it really "stops" or what, but that's kind of what the manual implies.

I'm assuming it's the bios, on a sticker on the MB, the last four digits of the sticker are 3501, which appears to be a BIOS rev number from ASUS' forum website.   According to ASUS, I need bios 4210. So OK, that *might* be the problem.

But how do I update the BIOS when I can't even see anything on the screen? I tried two known good graphics cards.  I checked cables, reseated the CPU multiple times. Very careful about static. Even tried pulling the CPU to see if it would post with no CPU. Nope, won't even turn on without a CPU.

Am I supposed to still get some video if it's a BIOS version problem?

your cpu is not supported by the bios version you have. it has been supported since ver. 4210. the mb manual explains how to use Flashback to flash the new bios.

my manual shows it on page 2-42

area51drone

Thanks for the response.  I'm not at the manual right now so I can't say for sure, but I read all through the section on updating the BIOS and it only discussed in that section updating through the BIOS utility, through DOS or through Windows - not using the button on the motherboard.

Doesn't matter though, it's done. 

I hearby officiate this thread as the "help me with my computer" thread for all of us who stay up until the wee hours of the morning when tech support centers are closed!   

I'll watch this thread and help anyone I can, hopefully others do too.

I think I had a similar problem the first time I tried to install windows 8, so it could be windows 8-related.

I had to update the bios with a usb stick. Used Biostar. I should take better notes on this stuff.