• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Is Bellgab now doomed?

Started by DickyC, November 05, 2013, 02:57:19 PM

wr250

Quote from: Philosopher on December 18, 2015, 02:16:54 PM

MV's genius was to create a forum about a person who was no longer on the air and is remembered by few.  The forum is 'retirement' proof as it is essentially about nothing.
this is a forum about a show that existed once, then didnt , then existed again, then didnt. kinda like hawking radiation.

zeebo

Quote from: wr250 on December 18, 2015, 08:13:32 PM
this is a forum about a show that existed once, then didnt , then existed again, then didnt. kinda like hawking radiation.

There are quantum effects at work here.  We even got ourselves entangled too.

Philosopher

Quote from: Echo on December 18, 2015, 03:56:48 PM
Bellgab can switch back to Coastgab.  :P

It would still be about nothing.

ItsOver

Quote from: zeebo on December 18, 2015, 08:38:07 PM
There are quantum effects at work here.  We even got ourselves entangled too.
And those damn torsion fields.  They're everywhere.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 18, 2015, 02:03:12 PM
That's crazy talk. MV is immortal, it will last with him. Praise be to MV.

we need some sort of "distributed" bellgab which runs on multiple servers all over the world in concert with one another.  if one node goes out, the others just pick up the slack.  sort of like the diaspora social network or the pirate bay.

wr250

Quote from: MV on December 19, 2015, 02:31:16 AM
we need some sort of "distributed" bellgab which runs on multiple servers all over the world in concert with one another.  if one node goes out, the others just pick up the slack.  sort of like the diaspora social network or the pirate bay.
i tried to set up a read only mirror of bellgab, but you didnt want me to ...

Just Me

Not as long as they have that falkie character to slap around.

zeebo

Quote from: wr250 on December 19, 2015, 06:16:10 AM

I liked the "bellgabe" idea, that little sandbox we were gonna let Dave play in.

ItsOver

Hell, BellGab could survive off this thread alone.  I expect BellGab access in the afterlife, as well.  Both places, of course.

WOTR

After the name gets changed back to davenooriesucks.com we will have all the material necessary for the next decade (how long did he say his contract was extended for???)

The funny thing is that it existed when Art retired, when Art was going to stay in retirement, when Art was going to come back to XM, when Art came back to XM, when Art retired, when Art was going to return to internet only broadcasting, when he started MITD, and I suppose it will continue to exist while Art considers returning "a few nights here and there, unannounced."  I don't know what it will look like for me (I cannot go back to listening to Jorch- even just to laugh at his horrid hosting job... But there will be something.)

The moral is that Bellgab is bigger than Bell, alone...

tularosa

No, not at all.  Heather is coming on strong and AB will be back, at least periodically.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: wr250 on December 19, 2015, 06:16:10 AM

Forgot my sarcasm tags.

1st Falkie quit bellgab
2nd Art Bell

Someone call Ed Dames.

onan

Quote from: nooryisawesome on December 20, 2015, 08:00:30 AM
1st Falkie quit bellgab
2nd Art Bell

Someone call Ed Dames.

Call Ed's wife first. It looks to me like she is the decision maker.

BobGrau

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 18, 2015, 02:20:29 PM

Didn't you get your invite to the BG  Christmas party? E mail Bob Grau; he's the entertainments secretary. WE have alsorts of events arranged for next year.

No no, I just keep the secretarys entertained...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_M9ZMo5TiU

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: BobGrau on December 20, 2015, 09:40:37 AM
No no, I just keep the secretarys entertained...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_M9ZMo5TiU

In this video, they sound like they might have been heavily influenced by The Monks.

chefist

Quote from: MV on December 20, 2015, 01:56:13 PM
In this video, they sound like they might have been heavily influenced by The Monks.

Wholly crap...I thought I was the only guy that liked old school Devo...

BobGrau

Quote from: chefist on December 20, 2015, 01:57:58 PM
Wholly crap...I thought I was the only guy that liked old school Devo...

My love for Devo is inextricably linked with my time on Bellgab, I discovered them almost at the same time. Fort Rock IS Mark Mothersbaugh.

BobGrau

Quote from: MV on December 20, 2015, 01:56:13 PM

You should check out "hardcore Devo" for more bluesy protopunk type stuff.

ItsOver

Quote from: BobGrau on December 20, 2015, 02:04:54 PM
My love for Devo is inextricably linked with my time on Bellgab, I discovered them almost at the same time. Fort Rock IS Mark Mothersbaugh.
We certainly can't get no satisfaction.

http://youtu.be/jadvt7CbH1o

BobGrau

Quote from: ItsOver on December 20, 2015, 02:08:47 PM
We certainly can't get no satisfaction.

http://youtu.be/jadvt7CbH1o

You know my mind's racing now, trying to throw up devo/bellgab puns. This is what all the training was for!

Quote from: chefist on December 20, 2015, 01:57:58 PM
... Devo...

In the bottom 2 or 3 worst concerts I've seen.  Apparently it was some sort of reminisce of their entire career, instead of playing what most people came to hear.  I don't mind bands playing deep album cuts for themselves (mostly) and their most dedicated fans, but they ought to let people know that before they buy tickets. 

They mostly suck anyway, but I thought it would be fun to see them play Whip It and a few other familiar tunes.

BobGrau

Quote from: Paper*Boy on December 20, 2015, 05:48:28 PM
In the bottom 2 or 3 worst concerts I've seen.  Apparently it was some sort of reminisce of their entire career, instead of playing what most people came to hear.  I don't mind bands playing deep album cuts for themselves (mostly) and their most dedicated fans, but they ought to let people know that before they buy tickets. 

They mostly suck anyway, but I thought it would be fun to see them play Whip It and a few other familiar tunes.

Was that the most recent tour? That was the 'hardcore devo' material I mentioned above. Great if like me you're fed up of the greatest hits from youtube binges, but yeah I thought at the time it would piss some people off. On the other hand, at least they didn't 'concentrate on the new stuff' cos the new stuff mostly sucks.

Auslandia

Quote from: wr250 on December 18, 2015, 08:13:32 PM

Sweetfeatheryjesus still exists even after Phil Hendrie legally went after its owner for copyright violation or some shit.  It was all very tragic. 

Quote from: BobGrau on December 20, 2015, 06:07:49 PM
Was that the most recent tour? That was the 'hardcore devo' material I mentioned above. Great if like me you're fed up of the greatest hits from youtube binges, but yeah I thought at the time it would piss some people off. On the other hand, at least they didn't 'concentrate on the new stuff' cos the new stuff mostly sucks.

Yep, it was.  I experienced something similar at a Residents show, another band I'm not all that familiar with.

And you're right about new stuff, the five words people hate to hear at a concert are 'we have a new album'.

The highlight of that Devo show was some lady packing around a Chihuahua wearing one of those red Devo hats

zeebo

Quote from: Paper*Boy on December 20, 2015, 06:41:43 PM
..The highlight of that Devo show was some lady packing around a Chihuahua wearing one of those red Devo hats

Debatable if that qualifies as a highlight or lowlight.

Dr. MD MD

It's good to see this thread's gone all Devo. One of the best bands ever!  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVGINIsLnqU

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Paper*Boy on December 20, 2015, 05:48:28 PM

I usually always hear the opposite about their concerts. I've only seen some live recordings of them and they're usually always very good. I couldn't find a link but if you ever get a chance watch The Complete Truth About De-Evolution. Great music and it's really funny too!

Catsmile

Quote from: ItsOver on December 19, 2015, 02:07:23 PM
Hell, BellGab could survive off this thread alone.  I expect BellGab access in the afterlife, as well.  Both places, of course.

If you are a member of BallGargle, only one place needs access.