• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things that bring me joy....

Started by West of the Rockies, July 19, 2013, 03:21:12 PM

Grov505th

Yup,
For about a year and half now. but I am still finding dust from AF on things....
One of the guys I worked with said that they did a specteral anaylsis of the dust from there and it was something like 85% dried poop....I dont know if I believe it.
I dont miss the smell of the pond or the burning plastic in the mornings.

Chine

Sardoni, in the same vein to my post above on books and physical nature as well as the entire experiencing vs digital.

Delacroix's palette. Oil painting involves a great patience. I have tried digital art and I lose something rich and vital. Cleaning brushes, smears of oil on my clothing. Stench of turpentine. Mixing pigments by hand and not clicks of a computer screen. It's clean but so vacant to my soul.

Stretching canvas, too. Work and time to physical build is taxing but this process is enchanting during the journey as well. 

Quote from: Grov505th on September 15, 2013, 09:05:46 AM
Yup,
For about a year and half now. but I am still finding dust from AF on things....
One of the guys I worked with said that they did a specteral anaylsis of the dust from there and it was something like 85% dried poop....I dont know if I believe it.
I dont miss the smell of the pond or the burning plastic in the mornings.

That's what I've heard, that returning vets are picking sand and dust out or a long, long time which just makes it all the sweeter to be home. I don't know about the poop part, but the air sounds just like the Starret City or Staten Zisland landfills air, which I'm probably better off not knowing the contents.

Chine

Rothko's Studio...or as he often spoke of it, 'the kitchen'

Grov505th

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on September 15, 2013, 10:56:47 AM
That's what I've heard, that returning vets are picking sand and dust out or a long, long time which just makes it all the sweeter to be home. I don't know about the poop part, but the air sounds just like the Starret City or Staten Zisland landfills air, which I'm probably better off not knowing the contents.
its hard to explain...the first 6 months I lived in a large tent(the one in may avatar) and sometime the wind would shift and the odor would come thought and it was bad enough to wake you up.
And in the summer with constent 105 plus degree days and high 80's at night made it even worse.

May I ask the circumstances, Grov, as to why you lived in that tent (and where)?  I read Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey about his time as a park ranger out in some remote desert park.  (I can kind of identify with his misanthropic streak.)  The book was very engaging.  I've often thought it would be a pretty cool retirement gig to serve as the on-site manager for a park.  I visited Russian Gulch Park in California; a retired couple lived in a very sturdy tent such as is depicted in your avatar.  Mostly, they strolled the grounds and made sure things were running smoothly.  I think I could live in such a small space relatively easily.

Camping brings me joy.  I like how for a few days, one's life is squeezed into a small vinyl tiangle (or dome).  I love sitting on a camp chair in front of a fire with a hot cup of coffee or a cold beer in my hand, maybe a good book -- or a good conversation -- or even simple silence as entertainment.  I love sliding into a sleeping bag, ducking down inside against the cold, and listening to the distant conversation of other campers (in a public campground), the howl of coyotes or the scuttling about of raccoons.  There's something very tribal and clarifying about the experience.

Chine

Witnessing grace. Sticking up for the little guy, the ones who are 'off', 'different'. Sadly many find joy in reducing the power of others. Wanted to post in Things That Annoy You...but, best to focus on positive. Maybe it comes with age and inner peace. There's nothing attractive or handsome in that behavior. Yeah, it's rampant now. I find joy in sticking up for the oddball, the wallflowers who may suffer energetic attacks of baffoons, chests puffed. Ha. Just thought of that old film...My Bodyguard...Anyhow, I'm musing here. Also, I give art away to children I may see in the neighborhood. Little drawings to make them smile. This gift which is my 'work' is a blessing. Have to give back. Put beauty out there. Donating a lot to animal rescue, etc.. Hoping to restore some good. In any way I can.

Heather Wade

Quote from: Chine on September 19, 2013, 01:19:33 PM
Witnessing grace. Sticking up for the little guy, the ones who are 'off', 'different'. Sadly many find joy in reducing the power of others. Wanted to post in Things That Annoy You...but, best to focus on positive. Maybe it comes with age and inner peace. There's nothing attractive or handsome in that behavior. Yeah, it's rampant now. I find joy in sticking up for the oddball, the wallflowers who may suffer energetic attacks of baffoons, chests puffed. Ha. Just thought of that old film...My Bodyguard...Anyhow, I'm musing here. Also, I give art away to children I may see in the neighborhood. Little drawings to make them smile. This gift which is my 'work' is a blessing. Have to give back. Put beauty out there. Donating a lot to animal rescue, etc.. Hoping to restore some good. In any way I can.

This post brought me joy, I am one of those oddballs. 

Summer is over & I survived it.  No more sweltering days, and soon, no more cursed air conditioner.  Sheer joy at the approach of Fall. 

Homesick, I searched for sounds of ocean waves, and found one that sounds just like home on youtube.  Now, with my neg ion generators & the waves crashing... I can almost feel a tinge of, dare I say, relaxation. 

Calling in last night and speaking with the man himself:   :D ;D 8)

Quote from: West of the Rockies on September 18, 2013, 01:55:12 PM
Camping brings me joy.  I like how for a few days, one's life is squeezed into a small vinyl tiangle (or dome).  I love sitting on a camp chair in front of a fire with a hot cup of coffee or a cold beer in my hand, maybe a good book -- or a good conversation -- or even simple silence as entertainment.  I love sliding into a sleeping bag, ducking down inside against the cold, and listening to the distant conversation of other campers (in a public campground), the howl of coyotes or the scuttling about of raccoons.  There's something very tribal and clarifying about the experience.

My best and favorite camping experience ever was in a tent cabin in Yosemite. There was a thunderstorm late at night. I've never heard anything like the sound thunder cascading down a mountain, and lightening flashes on the tent. Amazing.

Quote from: Chine on September 19, 2013, 01:19:33 PM

I really believe doing good for others is the secret of a happy life. I tend to take on strays myself and have never once regretted it.
[/quote]

sleeplessinca

Doing good stuff puts me in a happy place.  I do it so they usually don't know where the good thing came from.  I get to be superman; I look ordinary but I step inside a nearby phone booth ( or something) and out pops amazing girl!  I also can stay in my comfort range and not have them feel obligation.  Today I'm doing some of that.

onan

Quote from: sleeplessinca on September 20, 2013, 08:23:26 AM
Doing good stuff puts me in a happy place.  I do it so they usually don't know where the good thing came from.  I get to be superman; I look ordinary but I step inside a nearby phone booth ( or something) and out pops amazing girl!  I also can stay in my comfort range and not have them feel obligation.  Today I'm doing some of that.

Kudos Super,Wonder,Amazing Girl. Nice goin.

sleeplessinca

Thanks, Onan. 
I don't talk about it much, but here I have my power cloak of anonymity and it is something that makes me feel very good.

sleeplessinca

Dopey Owl Babies

Those are Great Horned Owls
Does it get any better?

sleeplessinca

This brought joy at my house today...
Even the ad is good - after you see the video you will get it.
This will grow on you in a good way
Kid friendly too.
http://youtu.be/jofNR_WkoCE

aldousburbank

How about 2 things this fine Saturday?

Geese flying south in the winter.

Retiring and rising with my lovely Mrs.

Chine

Many years ago, I caught part of an interview on the radio late at night. The guest mentioned Grace Kelly when she was asked if she was happy. Her reply, 'I am content. Happiness comes in patches.' An example to what was posted on this thread revealing joys stem and are dynamic in birth from a landscape of sorrows. Those patches that vary in textures. Some abrasive like burlap, some itchy like mohair and some fragile with serene luxury like silk. It brings me joy to have experienced all woven into this life. Three weeks ago, I spent time with my aunt in Hospice. This was not a sad or mournful experience. I found myself feeling gratitude in every moment, every texture blanketing life. Such a sense of peace. I'm like that though, childlike wonder and still those mohair fibers can be so damn tough. But, I honor them more than ever.

lonevoice

Quote from: aldousburbank on September 30, 2013, 02:33:53 PM
Less than 6 hrs until Dark Matter.
A fact much more worthy of my attention than whether or not the government shuts down in 6 hours.  As long as Sirius XM in D.C. isn't affected by it, I'm good. 

Heather Wade

Quote from: lonevoice on September 30, 2013, 04:12:54 PM
A fact much more worthy of my attention than whether or not the government shuts down in 6 hours.  As long as Sirius XM in D.C. isn't affected by it, I'm good.

lol, if the gov does shut down, at least we can talk about it on Dark Matter all week.   :D

lonevoice

Quote from: Redacted on September 30, 2013, 04:21:10 PM
lol, if the gov does shut down, at least we can talk about it on Dark Matter all week.   :D
And that would bring me joy!   :)

Ok, this is corny and sweet and you can laugh if you want, but I have two little kids in my class who are behind academically. I mean, really behind, one especially so. He doesn't even speak, but the other one took him under her wing and has been helping him with his work and his writing, and both of them are improving, he slightly and she a lot. Today, she got picked on by another girl, so I made it my business to point out her kindness to the class in the hopes others will follow suit even if it's just for the recognition. And balance has been restored in the universe. 

onan

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on October 04, 2013, 11:30:35 PM
Ok, this is corny and sweet and you can laugh if you want, but I have two little kids in my class who are behind academically. I mean, really behind, one especially so. He doesn't even speak, but the other one took him under her wing and has been helping him with his work and his writing, and both of them are improving, he slightly and she a lot. Today, she got picked on by another girl, so I made it my business to point out her kindness to the class in the hopes others will follow suit even if it's just for the recognition. And balance has been restored in the universe.

We don't allow genuine tender moments here.

nice story... not enough of those.

Heather Wade

Might be the wrong thread but I'm about to bust my gut listening to Phil Hendrie do Art Bell.  So much joy in a stressful moment!  Lettuce to Man Evolution! 

Good for them.
This is making me smile.   :)

Thanks onan and Treading Water. It makes me smile, too.

Chine

What a beautiful example you are. Warmed my heart on these two helping one another. At a young age, they 'get it', that when we join to assist each other in trials of any kind, we overcome. This is beautiful.

aldousburbank

Quote from: Chine on October 06, 2013, 11:11:01 AM
What a beautiful example you are. Warmed my heart on these two helping one another. At a young age, they 'get it', that when we join to assist each other in trials of any kind, we overcome. This is beautiful.
Just wanted to say something that I almost posted in Things That Annoy The Dude, but will try to shape it positive. The loving effects of these acts of kindness, makes me annoyed by practice compassion to airy fairy new age self help cop outs creedo types claiming that another individual can only be happy by being happy themselves, and we as separate entities, have no power to increase another's "happiness" quotient. Kindness to others kindles happiness in others (however transient it may be) and, possibly as a side effect, in ourselves. It is a little like saying a dog is responsible for it's own well being, regardless of how it's treated. Understanding that this self-centered philosophy is HorseHockey increases my joy, and hopefully as a side effect, makes life better for those around me. Know what I mean jellybean?

Of course little children ''get it'. They haven't learned to hate their fellow man yet. Give them time, my friend. We all learn.