• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things that bring me joy....

Started by West of the Rockies, July 19, 2013, 03:21:12 PM

Juan

I was listening to a Hearts of Space show from 1994 and Stephen Hill was telling people how to find a playlist - by writing a letter, calling a 900 number or, of the listener was on the Internet, using a gopher server.

Sardondi

Quote from: UFO Fill on November 07, 2013, 09:17:44 AMI was listening to a Hearts of Space show from 1994 and Stephen Hill was telling people how to find a playlist - by writing a letter, calling a 900 number or, of the listener was on the Internet, using a gopher server.
Amazing. I continue to be knocked out by how often I recognize myself among folks here. And although I haven't listened in a long time, I always thought Stephen Hill's instantly recognizable voice was one of the most sweetly pleasant and calming in all of radio.

Juan

I've needed HOS the past few days to calm down after reading the beginning of the Art quits thread.  HOS, deep breaths, and a few days away have me back to as normal as I've ever been.

Usagi

Oddly, one thing that brings me joy is the sight of a street full of otherwise chaotic vehicles gracefully swerving aside and stopping in unison to make way for an ambulance or firetruck, as if choreographed.  It's simply beautiful; it's what civilization looks like.

HorrorRetro

Olivia's little newborn feet.  Olivia, 6 days old today.

Quote from: HorrorRetro on November 07, 2013, 02:37:34 PM

I can tell by her feet that Olivia's quite the intelligent little baby and that when she gets bigger, she's going to like them fancy pants shoes with the sparkles, hearts and rainbows. Just you wait.  ;D

stevesh

Quote from: Usagi on November 07, 2013, 12:00:12 PM
Oddly, one thing that brings me joy is the sight of a street full of otherwise chaotic vehicles gracefully swerving aside and stopping in unison to make way for an ambulance or firetruck, as if choreographed.  It's simply beautiful; it's what civilization looks like.

Never thought about it before, but yeah.

jazmunda

Quote from: HorrorRetro on November 07, 2013, 02:37:34 PM

Congrats. My wife and I love that name but unfortunately one of my wife's first cousins called her daughter that and it would have caused a big fuss for us to have named one of our daughters that.

onan

Not to take away from Olivia, but...

Damn Nov 3, 2010

3 years of more fun than not.

stevesh

Ninety-six hours since I last perused the Politics forum. Four days sane ...

Quote from: UFO Fill on November 07, 2013, 09:17:44 AM
I was listening to a Hearts of Space show from 1994 and Stephen Hill was telling people how to find a playlist - by writing a letter, calling a 900 number or, of the listener was on the Internet, using a gopher server.

I love HOS, especially the Celtic music shows. I've turned off Hill's voice from the HOS streams, but I remember when the show was coming on over terrestrial radio it was interesting to listen to Hill's commentary.

The photo streams for the newer shows are quite good too IMO.

Seeing William Shatner appear tonight as a pre monologue guest on The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson.

Shatner and Ferguson sat in overstuffed chairs while smoking cigars, spoofing Boston Legal.

He persuaded Ferguson to use tobacco for the first time in about fifteen years.

Shatner was also promoting his double LP Ponder the Mystery, and showed the vinyl version to the audience.

One of the LPs is rendered in exquisite transparent orange vinyl.

jazmunda

bateman

Quote from: jazmunda on November 09, 2013, 01:34:59 AM
Finished painting the clubhouse.

Jeez, even your playhouses look uniquely Australian.

Very cool though.  :D

Usagi

Quote from: bateman on November 09, 2013, 01:43:09 AM
Jeez, even your playhouses look uniquely Australian.

Very cool though.  :D

And the choice of institutional grey.  Très moderne.

I like it.  ;)

jazmunda

Quote from: Usagi on November 09, 2013, 01:47:33 AM

I like it.  ;)

Grey with Mint Green feature walls.

You can thank my wife who is an amateur interior designer. ;)

Quote from: Usagi on November 09, 2013, 01:47:33 AM

I like it.  ;)

What Usagi said. Like a military grade industrial putty coating that can take a lot of abuse.

ItsOver

Quote from: Sardondi on November 07, 2013, 10:00:25 AM
Amazing. I continue to be knocked out by how often I recognize myself among folks here. And although I haven't listened in a long time, I always thought Stephen Hill's instantly recognizable voice was one of the most sweetly pleasant and calming in all of radio.

I could listen to Stephen Hill talk as an entire HOS show. 

Agreed, ItsOver... Hill has a fabulous voice.  (I recall a Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode where Tom Servo was imitating him pretty effectively... well, the phrasing, but not the voice.)  I wonder if that is basically the way Hill has made his living for the last 30 years, producing an hour-long radio program and supplying a few minutes of commentary in the intro/closing. 

I know this is nigh on blasphemous, but I would not mind overly much if we heard less of Garrison Keillor on APR/NPR (especially when he insists on singing).

ItsOver

;D  I remember that show with Servo doing the Hill routine. Hahaha... no way I could recall the MST3K episode but just thinking about it has given me the continuous chuckles.  Thanks.

I tuned into "Prairie Home Companion" back in the '80s but lost my taste for Keillor over the years for various reasons.  Why he persists on trying to sing is beyond me, other than to feed his ego.  He sounds like Noory has been giving him singing lessons.

ItsOver

Quote from: stevesh on November 07, 2013, 04:40:13 PM

I only peek in there when I want to see a bad recreation of a classic SNL skit.

Jane you Ignorant slut

Quote from: stevesh on November 07, 2013, 04:40:13 PM

Good for you, dude... I have wandered back into the mix a couple times after a self-imposed exile (probably for the same reasons as you).  Guess I needed my fix....

We finally got a bit of rain here in northern California.  I so love the smell of the earth, the autumn leaves, wood smoke (in moderation) in the air...  (Getting ready for work I do not love so much....)

ziznak

When somebody offers to pay me in weed to fix their shit... joyous...

Chine

Quote from: West of the Rockies on November 19, 2013, 12:05:42 PM
We finally got a bit of rain here in northern California.  I so love the smell of the earth, the autumn leaves, wood smoke (in moderation) in the air...  (Getting ready for work I do not love so much....)

Chine

Spontaneous, spur of the moment road trips. My husband and I do it often. We're gypsies and not having children can afford the luxury. We'll take the dogs with us at times. Travel of any kind is essential. I was a flight attendant briefly in Nyc almost out of high school before 'the arts' career. In my blood not to remain still too long. Lived all over and travel constantly.

But those fly by the seat of your pants 'Let's hop in the car' and go are magic. Even if we're unsure where we'll go cross country. Little run down food shacks along the way...where time stands still. The late/early am cruising in deep navy near black skies. Lit by only the dashboard and that right song capturing that feel comes on. Being so crazy in love going on 20 years of marriage makes it so fucking better too.

Quote from: Chine on November 20, 2013, 10:58:39 PM
Spontaneous, spur of the moment road trips. My husband and I do it often. We're gypsies and not having children can afford the luxury. We'll take the dogs with us at times. Travel of any kind is essential. I was a flight attendant briefly in Nyc almost out of high school before 'the arts' career. In my blood not to remain still too long. Lived all over and travel constantly.

But those fly by the seat of your pants 'Let's hop in the car' and go are magic. Even if we're unsure where we'll go cross country. Little run down food shacks along the way...where time stands still. The late/early am cruising in deep navy near black skies. Lit by only the dashboard and that right song capturing that feel comes on. Being so crazy in love going on 20 years of marriage makes it so fucking better too.

Congratulations on (nearly) 20 happy years.  :)

My wife and I are splitting up after 15+; the notion that I may ever be romantically truly happy again seems...  (long, long pause with no clear answer to offer).

Well, at least I know what to avoid the next time around.  I'll better know my own needs, my own weaknesses; I'll be better in many ways....

Sorry to reveal so much personal information here, folks... you can all just look away and go about your day.  And I don't mean that in a passive-aggressive somebody-tell-me-it'll-all-be-okay sort of way.

steelbot

When you meet someone and things just click!

Shout! Factory's announcement of the Spring 2014 DVD release of Mystery Science Theater 3000's skewering of The Puma Man.