• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Dave Schrader

Started by NowhereInTime, March 16, 2013, 06:20:57 PM

NowhereInTime

Maybe I am a cynic but this stinks of being a set up for an infomercial.  Apparently Dave Schrader is the host of "Darkness Radio" but I don't see the show in my market (NY/CT area).  He actually may not suck but, given Coast's recent history, I want to be prepared.

SnoorysStache

Actually Dave's not bad. He actually has an Interest in the paranormal. You can listen to someofhis shows on www.darknessradio.com

Falkie2013

Quote from: NowhereInTime on March 16, 2013, 06:20:57 PM
Maybe I am a cynic but this stinks of being a set up for an infomercial.  Apparently Dave Schrader is the host of "Darkness Radio" but I don't see the show in my market (NY/CT area).  He actually may not suck but, given Coast's recent history, I want to be prepared.

I thought Darkness Radio was the black hole where Snoory put the quality that used to be C2C into while he dragged out more suckage.

analog kid

Quote from: NowhereInTime on March 16, 2013, 06:20:57 PM

A little context on what you're talking about?

Morgus

at least right out of the bat he got right to his first guest, no wasted time like Noory does in the first half-hour rehashing news stories that are already covered by the daytime media...

PChirp

B*O*R*I*N*G*   :(   I'll give him credit that his delivery, pronunciation, and voice talent obviously far exceeds anything Snoory has ever had to offer the show (as just about anyone would).  Needs some pep but as it's his first time, I'll give him a break.  Certainly reminds me a LOT like Simone.

Besides, just chompin' at the bit for Snoory to begin broadcasting from his new Hawaii studio in April. (Baa Haa Haa Haa!)  I made the mistake of listening to Snoory last night and CANNOT believe the shill he's become.  Jesus, he'll hawk ANYTHING!  ;D

MTB

I think he has potential based on what I've heard so far.

beyondbeleef

His bumper music is appalling.... katy perry, really?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: beyondbeleef on March 17, 2013, 12:07:42 AM
His bumper music is appalling.... katy perry, really?
It that what that was? Horrible. I'm blaming the idiots behind the glass. John B Wells plays some cool bumper music by say...Yes or Stanley Clarke, but overall he's an airhead.

However, my snap judgement on this guy...he's better than Noory or Wells. Dry, a bit boring, but I'll take boring over dopey 10 times out of 10.

Doomed

Maybe its the thrill of hearing a radio host who doesnt slobber all over himself, or completely fracture the english language, but I dont think this guy is too bad.
He was stuck with the guest, on short notice, and yet manages to stay engaged.
His voice is passable for radio, and while he may be a little dry, most guest hosts are. They have little, if any, control over content. They have to play by the other guys rule.
The Doors doing "The End". Thats not too bad. Glad I missed the Katy Perry tune tho.
I'd have to hear Schrader 4 or 5 times before turning in a verdict. So far tho, I give him a 6 out of 10...which is five more than I give noory on any given night.

Nucky Nolan

I enjoyed last night's show. The guests were interesting, and the host's comments and questions made sense. Dave Schrader was much better than George Noory. That means that he won't be invited back.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Morgus on March 16, 2013, 11:20:52 PM
at least right out of the bat he got right to his first guest, no wasted time like Noory does in the first half-hour rehashing news stories that are already covered by the daytime media...

That's how it should be done. Most of us have access to the Drudge Report.

Juan

I thought he was pretty good - at least he was engaged with his guests, asked questions that weren't typed out on cards, and had some knowledge of the topic.  I'd like to hear him more to see if he's really any good.

Falkie2013

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on March 17, 2013, 05:19:40 AM

I think I've been so conditioned to go to sleep when Snoory comes on that NOW I can't stay awake for someone else. I watched tv until 12:30 and lied down and bam, next thing it's 4:29 am. I completely forgot about listening to the guy and seeing what he was like.  :(

Unlike when Art was on, now when it hits 10:00 PM, I get incredibly sleepy and most nights feel compelled to lie down and crash.

Maybe I've picked up some kind of Snoory virus over the years. With Art it was like having insomnia, but you didn't WANT to go to sleep and fought it.
With Snoory it's some kind of somnolence that you can't resist.

I do agree with the comments that if a guest host is in any way competent, he won't be back because he'll show up Snoory and make him look even worse than he is, if such a thing is possible.

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on March 17, 2013, 05:19:40 AM

There are plenty of interesting stories not related to politics, hollywood, or disasters that could go into a news segment to open the show.  They need to get back to that.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Falkie2013 on March 17, 2013, 05:34:52 AM
I think I've been so conditioned to go to sleep when Snoory comes on that NOW I can't stay awake for someone else. I watched tv until 12:30 and lied down and bam, next thing it's 4:29 am. I completely forgot about listening to the guy and seeing what he was like.  :(

Unlike when Art was on, now when it hits 10:00 PM, I get incredibly sleepy and most nights feel compelled to lie down and crash.

Maybe I've picked up some kind of Snoory virus over the years. With Art it was like having insomnia, but you didn't WANT to go to sleep and fought it.
With Snoory it's some kind of somnolence that you can't resist.

I do agree with the comments that if a guest host is in any way competent, he won't be back because he'll show up Snoory and make him look even worse than he is, if such a thing is possible.

You might be able to listen to a rerun on You Tube. There's a good chance that last night's show will be posted there today or tomorrow. I caught the old program with Harlot, the witch, there. It's an open secret.

I haven't listened to one Noory-hosted Coast this year. I even mute his commercials. Yeah, it's a safe bet that Schrader won't host a second show since Noory likely feels challenged and threatened by better talent. Just ask Richard Syrett.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 17, 2013, 05:35:28 AM

There are plenty of interesting stories not related to politics, hollywood, or disasters that could go into a news segment to open the show.  They need to get back to that.

There's no doubt about it. He could read paranormal stories from the Anomalist. Knapp and Wells use more fitting items during their news segments. They don't mention dead babies, either.

Insanity

I actualy thought he was decent.

He's not Art, but I found it interesting enough to listen all the way though.

He needs to host more shows before he gets my seal of approval.

Yeah, Schrader isn`t bad. I caught some of his stuff years ago, and he seemed generally interested in the paranormal. My only beef with him is he is too enamored with those Ghost Hunter clowns on SyFy, the ones that have been exposed as complete frauds.

I would listen to him again. The highlight was the first hour of the show. DS was not a buffoon and stayed on topic (Noory), he didn't talk too much or have giant setups for his questions (Ian) and he was prepared for all of his segments (John B.). But DS didn't seem that good at setting the as VtaGeezer says "theater" of the show. It was pretty dull. He also didn't add much personal connection with the listeners-which was something Art was great at.

What we are left with is a handful of hosts that need to sit down and think about what makes really great dialogues and try to apply that to radio.

NowhereInTime

This was better than I thought it would be but was really a mediocre show.  I am happy that there are people who genuinely respect the paranormal but as a radio personality I thought he was flat.  Chalk it up to first time jitters? Ok.  Was he better than Snoorge?  If you want to set the bar that low, fine.  But "Darkness Dave" is one of these people (like Ground Zero's Clyde Lewis) being touted as a more hard core, dedicated pursuer of "the truth" than Coast, and it just wasn't impressive.

ourobouros2k2

Schrader is a tool in person. Thinks he is the god of the paranormal, while all the time pandering to the fat paranormal bored housewife conference crowd. Zero credibility. He peaked with the "Darkness at the edge of town" podcast, but when the show got picked up on radio it started sucking almost instantly. Better than Noory? By miles.

If you want some good shows, listen to Dave and Tim's original podcast, they are available for download. To bad Schrader's recent stuff isn't as good.

mombird3

He was much better than Noory. Better questions, and he sounded good. But I turned off after the first hour. I was not interested in New Age stuff.

Nucky Nolan

His first segment should have lasted two hours. His guest claimed that Herman Mudgett, his great-great grandpa, was Jack the Ripper. His purported evidence included similar photographs and signatures that he claimed linked the two fiends together. The connections seemed tenuous, but I wished to hear more.

The second segment was better than I thought it would be. I feared that the guest would be another "consciousness physicist". He came across as a normal parapsychologist, and Schrader handled the conversation well. There were no questions about angels or portals.   

Falkie2013

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on March 17, 2013, 11:45:05 PM
His first segment should have lasted two hours. His guest claimed that Herman Mudgett, his great-great grandpa, was Jack the Ripper. His purported evidence included similar photographs and signatures that he claimed linked the two fiends together. The connections seemed tenuous, but I wished to hear more.

The second segment was better than I thought it would be. I feared that the guest would be another "consciousness physicist". He came across as a normal parapsychologist, and Schrader handled the conversation well. There were no questions about angels or portals.

If memory serves, there was a book that an author made the same contention several years ago. I seem to recall reading that a man who lived in San Francisco was also a ripper suspect.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Falkie2013 on March 17, 2013, 11:54:00 PM

If memory serves, there was a book that an author made the same contention several years ago. I seem to recall reading that a man who lived in San Francisco was also a ripper suspect.

There are more suspects than victims. One of the strangest theories involves a Freemasonic plot to protect Queen Victoria's son. Some people claim that he's Jack the Ripper. I doubt that's true, just like I doubt the stories about Mudgett or Jane the Ripper (no kidding).

Quote from: Falkie2013 on March 16, 2013, 07:06:33 PM
I thought Darkness Radio was the black hole where Snoory put the quality that used to be C2C into while he dragged out more suckage.

LOL! Good one!

It seems to me that the overnight radio shows are becoming like the late night TV talk show wars. Everybody thinks that they can be their own host and can compete w/one another, so it looks like we're going to be having a number of C2C copycats coming along quite frequently now. How long any of them will last is the question though.

"We don't have much depth." -Art Bell

Quote from: stlcoastfan1985 on March 20, 2013, 01:52:06 PM
... it looks like we're going to be having a number of C2C copycats coming along quite frequently now..

No one could be as bad as George Noory, no matter how hard they try