• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Jerry Sandusky - child molester voicemails

Started by HAL 9000, July 26, 2012, 11:25:05 PM

HAL 9000

A man who claims he was "Victim 2" - the boy assaulted in a Penn State shower by Jerry Sandusky - intends to sue the university for its "egregious and reckless conduct," his lawyers said. They released recordings of two voicemails they say were from Sandusky last year, both saying "love you" to the victim.

The voicemails are dated Sept. 12 and Sept. 19, 2011, less than two months before the former assistant coach was arrested on child sex abuse charges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd_lKwm5KXs#

Juan

Back in the ancient days, I practiced law in a county that did not have a public defender, so private attorneys were appointed by the county to represent criminal defendants.  I was appointed to represent several child molesters in juvenile court proceedings begun to take their own children away from them.

I found that there were two kinds of cases - one, a guy in his 20s, 30s, 40s fooling around with a sexually mature, consenting 15 or 16 year old girl.  Those were always somewhat debatable in my mind because the age of consent used to be about 13 in most places.

The second type was a man who was attracted to younger children.  Most of these guys were attracted to children of either sex.  It was also my experience that the initial charges were just the beginning.  In one case, the authorities eventually uncovered a 40-year history of molesting children. 

Frys Girl

I wonder if Joe Paterno would have acted if it were his children in the cross-hairs of this monster. There is legal and moral responsibility, and everyone at Penn State failed to show either.

ziznak

I've always found pedophiles appalling.  I'm curious if the types that are into the really young kids were born with this sexual orientation or if it was something that developed over time?  I know for me at a very young age I knew I liked women...  A friend of mine has a son who we had all pegged as gay when he was really young... I just hung out with her the other day and her son who is now in his teens has definitely got the feminine thing going.  Can't say he's gay but I can say I've got a hunch about it.  Hadn't seen him in years.  If it were proven that this predisposition to children was congenital would it then make prosecuting such individuals different?  Sandusky and those of his ilk are a totally different situation.

b_dubb

Penn State becomes Penn Beauty School and Discount Hair Salon.

Penn State makes me sick

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: b_dubb on July 27, 2012, 06:11:47 AM
Penn State becomes Penn Beauty School and Discount Hair Salon.

Penn State makes me sick

All athletic programs inside educational institutions make me sick.

Frys Girl

Quote from: MV on July 27, 2012, 08:18:06 AM
As someone who loves academics and sports, I disagree. Athletics gives lots of people the opportunity to get a college education while teaching them important skills for the pro leagues. I'd rather see theater departments banished from college campuses. That's something that is safely done by going straight to the streets and industry.

onan

Quote from: MV on July 27, 2012, 08:18:06 AM

I agree, I don't mind sports so much in schools as I do the money that follows. Ask me about Tony Dorsett sometime.

And college should be an opportunity for all academically appropriate students.

Frys Girl

Quote from: onan on July 27, 2012, 02:39:36 PM
I agree, I don't mind sports so much in schools as I do the money that follows. Ask me about Tony Dorsett sometime.

The money is definitely a problem, but again, it's also a big boost to the school's image and infrastructure. No one complains about money pouring in at Harvard and Yale when alumni always need to make sure their kids get to fly in. I'd hate to see a great institution like sports have to suffer because of a child rapist and shitty management.

Sports is a profession, and I believe that athletes who go to college (in bball it is not mandatory but you must be damn good to go pro right out of HS) fare better not only because they have a degree, but because they learn how to be better players. I love Kobe Bryant, but some of his problems would have been massaged out in a college program, but hey, it's a business decision so I can't knock him. Anyway, as to Penn State, the money definitely dirtied the program. Shame on them. Let this be a lesson to the strong colleges out there: face your problems head on and don't put rosy PR ahead of what is right.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: onan on July 27, 2012, 02:39:36 PM

I used to take tests for a couple of fellow students at my rotten high school. They were on the basketball team, and their points per game was probably slightly above their IQ. I got along with them, and didn't mind doing it. It kept them eligible so on and so forth. But two of these kids(who were using fraudulent birth certificates to play-one of them was already 21) ended up going to Division I programs to play hoops. While I basically went straight to the Postal Service. It wasn't until years later, that it started to really annoy me. I know for certain that my SAT was at least 500 points higher than theirs...but the best I could get was a partial scholarship, that would have maybe covered book costs.

I use the ESPN vs C-Span analogy. Turn on ESPN on any given night in the winter and you'll see arenas packed with 10,000 screaming yokels watching hoops. Turn on C-Span, and you'll see a scholar who spent years working on a project speaking in front of 37 people in a Barnes and Nobles.

ziznak

I've actually watched those book shows on cspan... and the tours of local factories and such.  Can't say I'm much of a sports fan myself although I don't mind throwing around a football here and there.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ziznak on August 02, 2012, 02:48:55 AM
Can't say I'm much of a sports fan myself although I don't mind throwing around a football here and there.

i'm basically the same.  i enjoy playing football and baseball (although i haven't in years).  it's just the whole notion of organized sports i abhor... particularly in education, which to me, has NOTHING to do with sports and is often compromised BY sports.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Frys Girl on July 27, 2012, 05:53:45 AM
I wonder if Joe Paterno would have acted if it were his children in the cross-hairs of this monster. There is legal and moral responsibility, and everyone at Penn State failed to show either.

A NOTE TO ALL, JUST ATTACHED TO FRY GIRL'S POST:

There is a lot more to what happened at Penn State than the Freeh report and the national media would have you believe.

Check out Freeh and FIFA, for one thing.

Keep in mind who put Richard Jewell under the scope as the Atlanta Park bomber in 1996.

Check out the number of times the PSU Freeh Report (final version) has been amended (in some major factual areas) since its July release.

Check out what is actual evidence and what is supposition being used to form Freeh's conclusions.

Do not rely on the summary sections of the reports touted by the media.  They are there because that's what Freeh wants the focus on.  Study the 267 page report and analyze what's actually evidence and what is not. 

Ask yourself why Alycia Chambers' evaluation was essentially jettisoned in favor of Seasock's.  More important, see if you can figure out WHO BROUGHT SEASOCK IN when ADA Karen Arnold called off further evaluation of Victim 6. 

Remember that the premise of the Freeh report is that JP knew of JS's "CRIME" in '98 when hearing of the 2001 incident and failed to act.  YET THE '98 CASE WAS CLOSED, NO CRIME, by DPW, CYS, LE, DA's office.  The premise of the narrative is wrong.  Didn't stop ESPN from running with it on a slow news day.

Paterno DID report, followed university protocol, and IN FACT WOULD HAVE BEEN IN TROUBLE HAD HE FOLLOWED ANY OTHER ROUTE. 

Check out Emmert's absolute hypocrisy.  Football taking precedence over academics at Penn State?  You gotta be kidding me.  FB Player/athlete graduation rates at 87%--tied for top spot with Standford and higher than the general population of most universities, including PSU.   No difference between grad rate of black players and white players.  No evidence of bringing in athletically talented kids and using them, abusing them, tossing them away with no education. 

Emmert is a liar, a hypocrite, and a sanctimonious windbag. 

Start studying the names Tom Corbett (and Bonus Gate), Jack Raykovitz, The Second Mile, Bob Poole.  Study the York, PA pedophile ring.  Study the Hershey school sex scandal and Mike Fisher. 

Find out why our DA is missing.

That's all just for starters. 

If anyone wants to condemn Joe Paterno AFTER you get a solid grasp on some of the stuff I've outlined above, then we can talk. 

Until then, visit FRAMINGPATERNO.COM and YARDBIRD.COM for some more ways you can help start connecting the dots here.

Unless you just want to swallow the media crapola that's been sold to you. 

My apologies for any rant-like sound to this.  You folks are my cyber friends, my home away from home, and I don't mean to take anything out on you.  I really don't.  But PSU and State College and Centre County and Joe Paterno (and now his family) have been unjustly maligned, largely through the press.  When good, smart, thinking people like yourselves get hooked into that, I have to try to show you the other side.

Forces want our community to hang our heads in shame (as if the master manipulater Sandusky couldn't have happened ANYWHERE), promise we'll "learn" about child abuse and feel bad about it, and MOVE ON. 

But there is, I promise you, something being covered up that those forces want us to MOVE ON from so that an even greater corruption is not discovered. 

I have seen efforts to make this happen since April, 2005, long before Sandusky broke wide.

And I am not wearing a tinfoil hat. 

And most of you have probably detected, I'm fairly intelligent, not particularly gullible, and a good thinker.  At least I hope you see me this way. 

Please trust me that here at the Ground Zero of all this mess, a good number of us know what you're getting out there in media land is NOT THE TRUTH.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: b_dubb on July 27, 2012, 06:11:47 AM

Penn State makes me sick

No you don't, b_dubb.  You hate what the media has told you to hate about Penn State.  You don't know or understand the real Penn State.

And I say this knowing you are in my "Favorite Posters" list, so I don't want it to sound mean or nasty or hateful.  But if you hate Penn State, you hate me.  I don't want to put too much out on the internet, but I was there for nearly 3 decades, and not as a secretary or janitor even a professor of landscape architecture with only a tangential connection to this whole issue. 

Lovely Bones

Now my apology post.

Usually try to keep personal crapola off boards but did mention internal life stressors on the "where are the women" thread.  Life filled with medical crises for family right now, PSU stuff just shattering to community, and my usual "good head on my shoulders" not holding as well as it usually does. 

Should have stayed away rather than ranting and raving here.  Came cause I haven't much lately and hoped to get some cheer from the delightful souls and senses of humor (and Noory hate) that usually cheers me.  But docs put me on some anti-anxiety thingies that are making me just run my mouth.

I will go back into my cave now. 

Harmness

Aw, hell, if you can't rant and rave on a message board, where can you?

b_dubb

no worries LB. maybe I should have said I hate the penn state athletic department? better?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Lovely Bones on August 06, 2012, 09:14:54 AM
But docs put me on some anti-anxiety thingies that are making me just run my mouth.

I will go back into my cave now.

i used to have anxiety attacks from time to time.  it started in the late 90s when i was about 18 or 19 and continued for a couple years until i bought a 12 week old yellow lab (i still have her) and began walking in the forest with her about 3 or 4 times per week.  the anxiety completely went away and never returned... all without a pill.  i'm not a scientologist or anything, but i think a lot of mental abnormalities can be alleviated simply by getting outside and getting enough sun.

i don't know how old you are, but if you are a female of 40+ years, there's a good chance you're vitamin D deficient. a lack of D can cause depression and all kinds of other crazy stuff... and the further you are from the equator, the less vitamin D your body will produce because of the decreasing power of the sun's rays.  check out
this episode of a podcast i listen to regularly.  they spend a good hour or so talking about vitamin D and how it affects you.  i found it to be quite interesting.

sun good... cave bad.

Harmness

Quote from: MV on August 08, 2012, 12:41:46 AM

i think a lot of mental abnormalities can be alleviated simply by getting outside and getting enough sun.

sun good... cave bad.

I'm with you on this one.  I also think there's something about physical activity that's good for the brain, too.