• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Anybody use IMs anymore?

Started by ziznak, July 11, 2012, 04:18:51 PM

ziznak

Just out of curiosity does anybody here use instant messaging anymore?  if so what services do you use and if yer down to leave sn's that's cool too.  I just re-setup my IM capabilities after not using them for a while.  So, I setup Trillian which ties all messaging programs into one interface.  There's also no place in our profile settings to show this info.  Most forums I'm on this is usually shared.

I'm on AIM=zhz77
      on Yahoo=ziznak77
      on skype=ziznak77
      on Trillian=ziznak77                   feel free to message...

I was also thinking that maybe having a chat that runs while the shows air live would be cool.

McPhallus

I tend to think of IMing as a relic of the 90s.  I quit using ICQ about four years ago when my login stopped working, and at that point there wasn't any reason to create a new one.  The only one I still use is Yahoo, as it was a way to occasionally meet women from time to time, but all I get on there now is spam.  I've pondered ditching that, too. 

MV had a decent chatroom thing back when he did his podcast.  It was fun to hang out during the show.  Maybe it could be re-purposed for the Fine Art stream?

ziznak

Thats a cool idea to have a chat for the AB stream... I still think It might be cool to have one for anybody that's actually suffering through the Snoory shows tho... that way we can rip him in real time.  As far as the IMs I agree.  I used to use IMs religiously back in the day and have only just today decided to set it up again and see if maybe there is still any use for it.

Juan

I used to participate in a live chat on a blog devoted to "24" - that was a lot of fun, but I believe took some effort to set up.  It operated as the show aired.

I thought having one live for sNoory would be fun, too, then realized it would just be a string of rants - sNoory sucks, what an idiot, sNoory learn to pronounce words, etc.

MV/Liberace!

the only IM i use anymore is skype.  i'm michaelvandeven on there. 

i used ICQ back in the day... waaaaay back in the day.  like most products, it was good until AOL bought it.  also yahoo messenger, msn messenger, etc... they're all dead to me now.

Mystery43

I use IM all the time here at work.. we use Skype to chat and talk shi#.  Never use it when I'm at home though..

Mystery43

P.S. live IM during the show would be fun.. I wish I could stay up that late and watch. It comes on at midnight here. what time does it come on for you guys?

Dude111

...is the only IM program I use......... For awhile I also used ICQ and skype but no more..... (Since Microsoft bought SKYPE I owuldnt go 10ft near it)

AIM has really been the only one I have ever liked anyway.. (I have version 5.5.3598ca (Last good version before it goes to crap)

Kolchak

I miss the old days of AIM and MSN. There's a huge glut of messaging platforms now - Kik, Whatsapp, WeChat, Google Hangouts, Facebook Messenger, Viber, etc. Too many cooks. So typically whenever you download one only one person you know also has it.

I just downloaded a pretty slick messenger called Jott the other day on ios. It's got a great interface, but none of my contacts are using it. I have 617 contacts. So there goes that.

I  generally only have two people I chat with on yahoo. I had many more I used to but got too crazy. I tried  others but lost interest.Hard to find people with the sort of things that I find interesting or into ecclectic sort of studies or projects. One of the two I have been chatting with for over 8 years and the other for 3-4 years.
henousuranus@y....

Wintermute

I used MSN Messenger quite a bit in the late 1990s - 2004. A lot of my musician friends were on there at the time. I've used IRC since DALnet (1993-ish??). I still use IRC on FreeNode and QuakeNet but not even close to as much because over time my friends just aren't on there anymore.

Funny thing is that I see that same thing happening on Facebook right now. I killed off my original account in 2014 and didn't sign up again until 2015. I swear something must have happened in 2014 that drove users away from the platform. Now, I see very little timeline activity and hardly any interaction. Maybe it's my age group (37-45yr olds)? Their core users would have been 17-22 in 2009 which would make them 23-28 today. Maybe it was all of the ad placement and business marketing? It is irritating.

Do I miss the old days? Hell yes! In the "old" days I would telnet to a UNIX / Pine server, check my profile listing and messege box (email pretty much), list who was online and chat with them. That was 1990 and you know why that was a great way to do things?

1. No freakin' ads, marketing, other BS.
2. If you wanted to share photos, you had to pin them to a message.
3. No timeline... you weren't force-fed your "friend's" stuff.
4. It wasn't always on. You had to connect and you had to know the command line structure.
5. Because of #4 above, you had to really want to be there, so you got people that really wanted to be there.