• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Windows 8 Sucks

Started by Marc.Knight, March 05, 2012, 04:04:20 PM

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: McPhallus on December 16, 2012, 02:47:11 PM
Thunderbird?

Nailed it. Wasn't much of a challenge, though.

Morgus

Quote from: Em Vee on December 17, 2012, 12:38:57 AM
Nailed it. Wasn't much of a challenge, though.
yep it was pretty obvious they were the same person...

tmock00

Quote from: Em Vee on November 20, 2012, 07:51:11 PM
windows 8 is a pile of shit.

Could not agree more. Metro is completely worthless on a laptop or a desktop.

I think once you get into the habit of "pinning" the priority stuff to Metro, it makes things somewhat easier, especially if using Metro is the goal, but it's not my goal. I use desktop mode exclusively because Metro is an absolute disaster.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: analog kid on January 06, 2013, 09:49:11 AM

Windows 8 less popular than Vista. Ouch.

A lot of that might be due to the advent of mobile computing.  However it really is still something to be shocked by. Steve Ballmer needs to go.

analog kid

Quote from: Em Vee on January 06, 2013, 11:58:13 AM
A lot of that might be due to the advent of mobile computing.  However it really is still something to be shocked by. Steve Ballmer needs to go.

Yeah, and the suckiness of Vista made a lot of users want to upgrade, whereas that dynamic doesn't exist with 8...

And I'm sure the rejection of Metro by a lot of users as well.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: analog kid on January 06, 2013, 05:37:24 PM
Yeah, and the suckiness of Vista made a lot of users want to upgrade, whereas that dynamic doesn't exist with 8...

And I'm sure the rejection of Metro by a lot of users as well.

all very true.  there's a lot at work here to make this release a flop.

martinol

Microsoft pulled a real Noory with that Metro-crap.

Erusman

I been using windows since 3.1. on 8088 processor. lol
I didn't think I would like Windows 8 either.  However, after using it for several months
I like it better than Win 7. It is faster.  All you need to do is tweak it to make it work.
I use start8, rocketdoc, and rainmeter customization.   You don't need to use metro.
You can boot directly to desktop with start8. etc.  I spend 98% of my time on my
desktop.  Metro has its uses though.  Especially when I use it on my HTPC.  Tiles come
in handy.  Apps are getting better.  Netflix, hulu, etc.

martinol

Quote from: Erusman on January 11, 2013, 11:14:50 PM
I been using windows since 3.1. on 8088 processor. lol
I didn't think I would like Windows 8 either.  However, after using it for several months
I like it better than Win 7. It is faster.  All you need to do is tweak it to make it work.
I use start8, rocketdoc, and rainmeter customization.   You don't need to use metro.
You can boot directly to desktop with start8. etc.  I spend 98% of my time on my
desktop.  Metro has its uses though.  Especially when I use it on my HTPC.  Tiles come
in handy.  Apps are getting better.  Netflix, hulu, etc.

It's good that there are tools to make it useable, rainmeter looks nice. I just can't comprehend the reasoning behind forcing metro on desktop users, and removing useful and established tools like a fucking start menu! Just keep it on the real desktop, it doesn't hurt anybody for crying out loud. Even shutting the system down is quite the procedure.

For some reason I got really angry when I booted the new laptop and saw the damned tiles wiggling around. The constant back and forth is so annoying!

On a side note: I found a nice Win3.11 window decoration for linux/xfce, the memories..

gustne

I never liked the old/venerable Windows Home Server and eventually dumped it.  W8 has most of the good stuff to create a modern W8WHS, including using all those elderly hard drives laying around.

Is there a W7 third-party user interface available to side-step the sucky metro part of W8?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: gustne on February 12, 2013, 03:12:18 PM

Is there a W7 third-party user interface available to side-step the sucky metro part of W8?

classic shell.  i used to recommend start8 from stardock, but this is free.

Morgus

Quote from: MV on February 12, 2013, 03:39:32 PM

classic shell.  i used to recommend start8 from stardock, but this is free.
i have used classic shell (free software utility) as well since I installed Windows 7 - makes the start menu program list much better like Windows XP.

mombird3

We bought a new lap top on Saturday. It had Windows 8. We have Xp professionsal on this computer. I took back the computer to the store. I did not like Windows *. Is Windows 7 any easier? I am not a computer person.

onan

Quote from: mombird3 on February 13, 2013, 02:58:50 AM
We bought a new lap top on Saturday. It had Windows 8. We have Xp professionsal on this computer. I took back the computer to the store. I did not like Windows *. Is Windows 7 any easier? I am not a computer person.

I am not a tech person. I loved windows 7. For me it was stable and it was very similar to the earlier versions. 8 on the other hand is a mess. Maybe it is "fun" for the twitter/facebook types. I am not one of those "types" so, for me 8 sucks... the dog dick version of suck.

gustne

An extensive article in PCWorld (with lotsa comments) on how to civilize W8:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2027945/how-to-banish-metro-from-your-windows-8-pc-forever.html#tk.nl_pcwbest

The article wasn't written to be balanced and unbiased. It was written for people who are fed up with Metro and want it gone -- period.The idea of getting rid of the metro is to be productive with Programs: Accounting, Customer contacts/fulfillment, Vendor contacts/ordering, Inventory, etc... You know... Business needs...
Also an article on a near-future update:http://www.pcworld.com/article/2028883/windows-blue-rumors-hint-at-major-windows-update-this-year.html

It seems likely that Microsoft will do some tweaking to the Modern user interface and update its own native Windows 8 apps. Of course, there's been plenty of speculation about what Microsoft could and should do <http://www.pcworld.com/article/2027393/windows-9-how-microsoft-might-overhaul-the-interface-in-its-next-os.html> with future versions of Windows, including suggestions that Microsoft should try to make a cleaner break between its desktop and Modern interfaces, and perhaps work toward killing the desktop altogether down the road. In Windows Blue, it'll be interesting to see whether Microsoft does more for the desktop, or tries even harder to push away from it.

MV/Liberace!

Thanks, gustne. Great article.

rvxtm

Quote from: MV on November 20, 2012, 07:51:11 PM

... i just found that after windows updates requiring a restart, if you shut the machine down completely and then power it up, you'll find windows still wants you to do a fucking restart.  ok, so a full power down wasn't good enough?  really?  this is the first version of windows in which i've seen that.  just another example of windows getting in my way rather than allowing me to get work done.

Yeah, that is thanks to the new shutdown that uses hybernate to turn on faster (closing programs and saving the system state in a hibernation file on the hdd that is opened at startup to load faster), and updates need restart for a "full boot"
Again , microsoft uses old tech with new brand.

Marc.Knight

Windows 8.1 Pro Preview allows the user to right click on the toolbar, select "properties" and then select "go directly to desktop" after sign-in, completely bypassing the crazy, time-wasting metro start screen. 

Additionally, 8.1 includes a new "start" button on the toolbar (A little 'Window').  Right click on that and you can restart / shut-down the computer from there, instead of clicking and sliding all over the place just to turn off the damn computer. 

They're moving in the right direction with theses "retro" changes, but what they have in place with 8.1 is only a thin vestige of some of the best, smooth-running features of Windows 7.  Are the same idiots who run Firefox running Microsoft?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Marc knight on July 12, 2013, 11:40:24 PM
Are the same idiots who run Firefox running Microsoft?

Actually, Firefox is quite good these days. You should give it a try. I'm finding it seems to consume far fewer resources than Chrome. Mozilla has worked really hard on memory management in recent releases.

I'm a little down on Chrome these days. It feels somewhat bloated to me... and Chrome for Android is nearly unusable compared to the default browser on my Galaxy Nexus.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: MV on July 13, 2013, 02:16:00 AM
Actually, Firefox is quite good these days. You should give it a try. I'm finding it seems to consume far fewer resources than Chrome. Mozilla has worked really hard on memory management in recent releases.

I'm a little down on Chrome these days. It feels somewhat bloated to me... and Chrome for Android is nearly unusable compared to the default browser on my Galaxy Nexus.

I'm glad to read this.  I was a long-time fan of Firefox until they almost entirely exchanged efficiency for features.  I'll give Firefox another try.  By the way, Win 8.1 beta is a pleasant surprise.  I loaded it on my "workhorse" laptop only to check it out.  Much of the "feel" of a PC / laptop oriented OS is back with the new options. 

onan

Then good news on 2 fronts... I will d/l 8.1 today and also start using firefox again... What is it with these browsers? one day they are efficient and easily used and then bloat city.

ziznak

I'm still not touching windows 8.  I don't care if its a point one now whats that mean?  They didnt want to admit they had to release a service pack already? or maybe it was such a big ass service back that they had to change version numbers? i dont know and i dont care.

I've been down on chrome lately too.  Seems to be jamming up certain places with random errors and crashes.  I'm just not really fed up enough yet to go back to firefox. 

I use opera mini on my phone still it seems to run the best but if i run into any issues I go with the default browser... which is called what exactly? android?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ziznak on July 13, 2013, 09:35:40 AM
...the default browser... which is called what exactly? android?

On my phone it is simply called "browser."

ziznak

Quote from: MV on July 13, 2013, 10:46:41 AM
On my phone it is simply called "browser."
I find it surprising that it's not named or branded somehow?  it's always referred to as the android stock browser or just android browser.  Found an interesting and somewhat recent article about the subject... i didnt read it but the pie chart tells the story

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/04/03/according-to-net-applications-stock-android-browser-usage-is-still-way-out-in-front-of-chrome/

MV/Liberace!

I don't understand why Google doesn't just ship a version of Android that comes only with Chrome. It would make a lot more sense. Perhaps if everybody were using Chrome on Android instead of some other funky browser, Google would feel more motivated to accelerate its development.

I was forced to start using Windows 8 when I bought a Surface Pro (yes, I'm one of the apparently 6 who did - if you want one, wait, as the prices will surely be cut again. and DONT get the RT version, it sucks.) Quite a nifty device that can do your standard tablet nonsense plus "real work", as Office and almost all Win 7 software run great on it.

My major criticism of Win 8 may be a generational thing. I simply want my computer to start up and then quietly wait for me to initiate some activity. These "live tiles" absolutely bombard you with garbage, from travel ideas to Bombay, bing search suggestions for the Kartrashians, to endless spinning tiles about what is trending on your choice of equally insignificant social media streams. Yes, I know the crap can be turned off, but it may say something about the target attention span of this abomination of a start screen.  The last thing I want to see is an array of colorful squares spewing pop culture at me.

Maybe the Apple iie still works.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Flaxen Hegemony on July 13, 2013, 09:47:33 PM
  The last thing I want to see is an array of colorful squares spewing pop culture at me.

Heh heh... yeah... it really is just a bunch of consumer-ish crap.