Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ks3484 on March 09, 2015, 03:08:41 PM
where is the rest of my post?

nobody touched your post.  dude.

bellgab.com/index.php/topic,30.msg353337.html#msg353337

inuk2600

It's ok to not rush to July. On a technical note, we don't know which provider you're going with for the live stream but it might be a good idea to get an impartial third party to audit it from studio to listener (ie. html 5 for web based, app for apple/android. Some issues to consider...

- Is the stream reasonably resistant to ddos attacks
- Can the playback device/app gracefully switch to a different server without stream interruption or listener intervention
- Can the stream start out at and keep trying for full quality ie. 96kbps stereo AAC then fall back gracefully to lower bit rates as necessary without interruption

(edit) This one's obvious but  - Will it scale well

Skunk Ape

Quote from: MV on March 09, 2015, 03:42:20 PM
even better would be another debate between ventura and jim norton.  ventura got really steamed that lil jimmy wasn't intimidated by his loud face.

You mean "Riff Raff Haircut" wasn't a term of endearment toward Ventura?

"I WAS A FIGHTER"

DesertFox

Quote from: ONeill on March 09, 2015, 03:46:29 PM
MV, that's exactly what I'm referring to:D On youtube there is this 4-part saga from Ventura interviews by O&A, it lasts about 15 hours in total. I actually cannot decide which part of it is the best - the steaming and boiling Jim Norton flying around Ventura like a mosquito or the ridicule by Anthony in the following days after the incident

Ventura is just a dumb meathead with some silly paranoia--he was good on wrestling and b action movies...but he is ridiculous politically with his extremism.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on March 09, 2015, 03:27:48 PM
We have a couple of fascinating, professional astronomers/astrophysicists on the forum, Agent Orange and Astroguy. Both are the real deal, interesting to listen and learn from. This is Astroguy's thread The "Exposing Pseudoastronomy Podcast, while you can find Agent Orange, a tasty Canadian, on this thread: Astrophysics and Cosmology. They'd make excellent fresh talent guests.

there's also expat who i think has some credentials.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: Art Bell on March 09, 2015, 03:04:57 PM
I hope we can make the July date but it could slip because we are waiting for the final paperwork and I do not want to order all this stuff and start building till we have it signed. I have a Wife who wants a trip to the Philippines before I go on air so time is a issue. Phone lines, T1 and a lot more. I guess we have no hard deadline but I am not a patient person.

Take your time, Art. There is no need to be hasty... because haste makes waste.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: DesertFox on March 09, 2015, 03:52:12 PM

Ventura is just a dumb meathead with some silly paranoia--he was good on wrestling and b action movies...but he is ridiculous politically with his extremism.

Best part of Predator was seeing Jesse get killed.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ONeill on March 09, 2015, 03:46:29 PM
MV, that's exactly what I'm referring to:D On youtube there is this 4-part saga from Ventura interviews by O&A, it lasts about 15 hours in total. I actually cannot decide which part of it is the best - the steaming and boiling Jim Norton flying around Ventura like a mosquito or the ridicule by Anthony in the following days after the incident

could you post those videos here in order?

BTW, I recall one of the Gabcast or the Spec Sheet episodes where you mentioned downloading the torrent of O&A XM shows. I remember trying to listen to their first show a few times and it was just too boring. Were you able to go through that and check after how many months they got entertaining again?

i didn't start at the beginning, but that wasn't because i don't want to hear the beginning.  i just wanted to start from a particular point that was fun for the show and fun for me.  i'll go back to the beginning, though.  i really recommend you just start from episode 1 and proceed from there.  best radio show ever.

Skunk Ape

Quote from: Nick el Ass on March 09, 2015, 03:55:32 PM
Best part of Predator was seeing Jesse get killed.

Jeez, spoiler alert.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Skunk Ape on March 09, 2015, 03:52:00 PM
You mean "Riff Raff Haircut" wasn't a term of endearment toward Ventura?

"I WAS A FIGHTER"

"thank you for your service."

Quote from: MV on March 09, 2015, 03:52:18 PM
there's also expat who i think has some credentials.

Yes, indeed he does. And he's an interesting interview, too.

VegasI15

I hope we can make the July date but it could slip because we are waiting for the final paperwork and I do not want to order all this stuff and start building till we have it signed. I have a Wife who wants a trip to the Philippines before I go on air so time is a issue. Phone lines, T1 and a lot more. I guess we have no hard deadline but I am not a patient person.

The Phils are on my list for want to visit.  Filipinos are some of the nicest people I have ever met.  Food like pansit is also great.

Surmo

Quote from: ks3484 on March 09, 2015, 02:49:14 PM

Surmo if you counted the words in the post before criticizing my post or others you would have found that my post has 3990 words. The computers that control this forum would not let me post beyond the set limit of 4000. So I had to foreshorten and emasculate the entire list that I wanted to post. The entire list you may add? To which I would respond:The entire list has 16,336 words. I see: you may say. And I would find solace knowing that ignorance is not a healthy refuge. As all courts do agree with: Ignorance of the law is not a defense. So true is the state of life. Sadly one does not know who will put and keep you in a sea of ignorance and confusion opposed to reaching in and helping to bring ashore a poor and  ignorant mortal soul. So I would say good day too you sir, and remember to help educate the ignorant souls that you see are in need of wharfing.

Awfully touchy, arent we?  It was a trite little comment that I made, nothing more.  And didnt you see my follow-up post, asking for the source?  Great shows, and I wanted to download them.  I agreed with your taste in shows. Luckily, a more agreeable member provided me what I wished for.....a link.

Ignorance of the law not being a defense does not apply in this context, I'm afraid.  You're trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hole on a chesseboard.  Apples and oranges and lemons.

Besides, in Sharia law ignorance of law can be a defense, so all courts do not agree.  I ran into that very fact just today, in the "I divorce thee, I divorce thee, I divorce thee" context.  So you are flat out wrong. Admittedly I agree Sharia law is wrong, but it is a "court," and it "does not agree."

ItsOver

Quote from: Art Bell on March 09, 2015, 02:17:53 PM
Most of the stuff like Mel's hole were my favs and it looks like most of you but they took lots of heat. The stuff u don't like is what I do not like as well, Alex Jones and stuff so we are on the same page, I hear you loud and clear
I always enjoyed listening to your shows to escape from the Alex Jones and similar type claptrap, including the usual politics and inane mainstream crapola.  Your ride is the one we want to take.

rzr1911

http://youtu.be/lktmmd7YnD8

The creator of this movie would certainly make a good guest indeed.

ItsOver

Quote from: Morgus on March 09, 2015, 03:42:48 PM
Art,
Yep, what I enjoyed the most back in the 90s was each night was unexpected, the shows were not pre-planned weeks in advance and could change at a moment's notice when some breaking paranormal or UFO event happened - like the night of the Phoenix Lights!

My favorites were the special lines for time travelers, area51 employees and whistleblowers.
Remember that "Steve" caller that often called in as a time traveler or Galactic federation commander? :D

I loved Linda Howe's weekly hour appearances on your Sunday night Dreamland shows. I hope she can get a segment frequently on your new show again.

Hoagland is good when he has new Mars or other space photos for you to analyze, like his dark matter show appearance.

Hope you can find some new "Mel" and "Madman Marcum" type callers with similar incredible tales...

Yes, yes, yes.  Art, please, please make sure you read all the fine print before signing anything.  These non-competes are killers.

The unexpected and different are what I enjoyed with your shows, plus the good 'ol regulars you could count on for entertainment and education.  Kaku for education, Hoagie and LMH for entertainment.  And, yes, Father Malachi was tops, too, may he RIP.  Some of the scariest shows were with the original GIS folks.  Those EVPs chilled me to the bone. 

Over the weekend, I listened to a fascinating little bit on NPR concerning "HeLa" cells.  If you haven't heard about them and their history, do a Google.  I'd never heard about them until this weekend.  The topic and similar ones would be great for your show, Art. 

Art, we want gourmet food and escape for the mind.  Dave already has the excrement covered.

IcicleTrepan

One of the things with Art that is so good is that he knows exactly what kinds of questions to ask.  Because he's actually interested.  I often found him asking questions that I would have asked to be answered but he beats me to it :)

bateman

Quote from: ONeill on March 09, 2015, 04:03:42 PM
Here you go:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MODBiC2pRsM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLqllO4oI6I
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdyxGai_AyU
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxoTwzbYRQE

The third one is the hottest action. After the interview there is the hilarious mockery segment. Afterwords and in the fourth video there arer ecording of the b-b-b-boys taking apart Ventura's idiotic Indiana Jones style 'investigation' show

Oh, and don't forget this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXCptu3ckMI
This parody is spot-on and it would never have happened without the O&A bashing of Ventura + some babbling of Iron Sheik also prominently featured on the O&A.

One of my favorite Jesse Ventura mockery bits. Anthony's impression is spot-on.

http://youtu.be/B9P-yETeTng

And how could we forget this gem? You really need to see it to get the full effect. "You and your stupid Riff Raff from Rocky Horror hairdo."  ;D

http://youtu.be/mvKgj_EjUDw

PROCESS DaveNot
BEGIN
IF Dave Or Snoory THEN
ArtBell = ArtBell+'1';
ELSIF ArtBell THEN
ArtBell = ArtBell;
END IF;
END PROCESS;
Quote from: From Somewhere Out There on March 09, 2015, 02:49:44 PM
Art,
You could interview drying paint and make it interesting. ;D

ItsOver

Quote from: IcicleTrepan on March 09, 2015, 04:31:59 PM
One of the things with Art that is so good is that he knows exactly what kinds of questions to ask.  Because he's actually interested.  I often found him asking questions that I would have asked to be answered but he beats me to it :)
Art has no need for 3x5's.  He laughs in their face.

saxgod

How cool would it be if Art Bell somehow put Opie and Anthony back together and had them as guest on his show live together lol.  That would be an awesome show.

jazmunda

How dare you sir?  :P

Take all the time you need.

IcicleTrepan

It is funny how George tells the pizza roll story.. and comes off looking like a complete idiot, but when Art glued his lips together, it was one of the greatest things I've ever heard.  Must come down to the personality and the presentation.

Anyone remember which show date it was when he glued his lips together?  I don't think many people could have turned that event into an on-air win the way Art did that night.

Quote from: IcicleTrepan on March 09, 2015, 04:42:03 PM
Anyone remember which show date it was when he glued his lips together?  I don't think many people could have turned that event into an on-air win the way Art did that night.

21/2/97

jazmunda

It is funny how George tells the pizza roll story.. and comes off looking like a complete idiot, but when Art glued his lips together, it was one of the greatest things I've ever heard.  Must come down to the personality and the presentation.

Found this:

http://frankomundo.podomatic.com/entry/2013-11-25T16_16_47-08_00

ItsOver

Quote from: jazmunda on March 09, 2015, 04:39:09 PM
How dare you sir?  :P

Take all the time you need.
Art's still perfecting the SJCB (Special Jazmunda Call Blocker).  ;)

IcicleTrepan

Quote from: jazmunda on March 09, 2015, 04:44:38 PM
Found this:

http://frankomundo.podomatic.com/entry/2013-11-25T16_16_47-08_00

lol thanks!  was so awesome.  Thanks also to SixWeekTenure for the date, I will listen to that episode later from the torrent :)

HK-50

Well he didn't feel the need to repeat that story 17,000 x like Dave has.  Even though I'm aware of the glue story I never think of that; but just the mention of Dave and a bag of pizza rolls pops into my head.

It might have been in the 'Art of Talk'; but I remember Art thinking he had swallowed some broken glass from a thermos while on the air; he had some "interesting" suggestions from the callers  ;)

ItsOver

Quote from: HK-50 on March 09, 2015, 04:49:44 PM
Well he didn't feel the need to repeat that story 17,000 x like Dave has.  Even though I'm aware of the glue story I never think of that; but just the mention of Dave and a bag of pizza rolls pops into my head.

It might have been in the 'Art of Talk'; but I remember Art thinking he had swallowed some broken glass from a thermos while on the air; he had some "interesting" suggestions from the callers  ;)
Dave = Inept, phony, corporate flunky, momma's boy to be laughed at.

Art = The usual foibles we all have, can relate to, and laugh with.